True Detective: Night Country (Season 4)

mdmost

The one thing that rings true with me watching the show is how unsettling it is during the period of extended darkness.  While watching, my mind wants to place the scenes at night.  I have to keep reminding myself that many of the scenes take place in the middle of the day.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, C-Man said:

And then went and picked a fight with four dudes.

I was entertained and mildly invested after three episodes. About 20 mins into this disaster of E4 and I was watching the clock. That was turrible.

I agree.  I am hoping that ep 4 as that boring-ish episode that every good show has before it gets rowdy near the end.  Kind of like game of thrones....the last 2 episodes are where it all goes down.

1 minute ago, utxmike05 said:

I agree.  I am hoping that ep 4 as that boring-ish episode that every good show has before it gets rowdy near the end.  Kind of like game of thrones....the last 2 episodes are where it all goes down.

Perhaps. The last few mins on the dredger were interesting if you can get past the idea of why they were there, why they didn't think to check it out sooner, etc.

The polar bear parts are painfully bad.

polar-bear-ski-goggles.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Perhaps. The last few mins on the dredger were interesting if you can get past the idea of why they were there, why they didn't think to check it out sooner, etc.

polar-bear-ski-goggles.jpg

That’s another good question - is the polar bear real?

Eh. I’m enjoying the ride so far, but girding my loins with the expectation that it’s going to tear an ACL trying to stick the landing. I’d rather it just be like The Outsider and commit to the supernatural bit rather than try to explain all of this by conventional means. 

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

Yea, there are definitely some hallucinations going on and hard to tell what is real or not.  Maybe following the LOST recipe of random polar bears that amount to nothing.

Edited by utxmike05

This guy does a good job summarizing each episode. Makes lots of connections and theories.  More than the cast has done so far.  Some of the symbolism he might be reaching on, but it does make the show seem smarter.  And I don't hate the episode as much.

Doesn't contain spoilers.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

That’s another good question - is the polar bear real?

Eh. I’m enjoying the ride so far, but girding my loins with the expectation that it’s going to tear an ACL trying to stick the landing. I’d rather it just be like The Outsider and commit to the supernatural bit rather than try to explain all of this by conventional means. 

I will have an issue if it ends up being a supernatural explanation. Thats fundamentally not what the series is. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

On 2/6/2024 at 7:50 AM, Helobious said:

Started watching Severance on AppleTV and it’s roughly 5000x more interesting so far. 

what's funny is that i kinda thought about bailing on Severance after a few episodes. not really, but it was so slow at the beginning. i was wondering where it was going.  but holy shit, it turned things up and ended with a bang.

True Detective season 4 . . . not so much. it started off with potential and has gotten lost in the wilderness with all of those other weirdos.

Edited by Jive Turkey

23 hours ago, C-Man said:

I thought they said someone had already been out there once, but Clark was moving around?

I don't hate it as much as most of you, but that's damning with faint praise probably.  

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

I will have an issue if it ends up being a supernatural explanation. Thats fundamentally not what the series is. 

I didn’t watch seasons two or three but haven’t heard great things about them, so I’m not as concerned about the series staying true to its platonic ideal. I just want a good story that makes internal sense within whatever universe it chooses to create. 

If it ends up being that the mine has poisoned the water supply and causes people to see things that aren’t there and drive them crazy, then that just seems like lazy and trite writing. Especially given how there are basically no memorable or well-written characters along the way. Maybe they’ll find a way to square the circle and surprise me. I hope they do. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I didn’t watch seasons two or three but haven’t heard great things about them, so I’m not as concerned about the series staying true to its platonic ideal. I just want a good story that makes internal sense within whatever universe it chooses to create. 

If it ends up being that the mine has poisoned the water supply and causes people to see things that aren’t there and drive them crazy, then that just seems like lazy and trite writing. Especially given how there are basically no memorable or well-written characters along the way. Maybe they’ll find a way to square the circle and surprise me. I hope they do. 

I dunno I find that way less lazy than just saying it’s ghosts. There’s not much lazier than that imo.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I dunno I find that way less lazy than just saying it’s ghosts. There’s not much lazier than that imo.

Big business exploiting the environment as the “true villain” is about as tired a trope as there is in writing these days, but I guess there’s an audience for it. 

I’ve always liked (well done) horror better than police procedurals anyway, so I’ll admit that could be coloring my outlook. We’ll see, maybe they’ll surprise me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Big business exploiting the environment as the “true villain” is about as tired a trope as there is in writing these days, but I guess there’s an audience for it. 

I’ve always liked (well done) horror better than police procedurals anyway, so I’ll admit that could be coloring my outlook. We’ll see, maybe they’ll surprise me. 

Oh for sure. But at the end of the day it is a Detective show so having it be explained as ghosts sorta doesn’t make sense. 
This is really the problem with this season though. I think they’ve written themselves in a pretty deep hole.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/6/2024 at 9:43 AM, hobbes2702 said:

Some of the character development doesn’t make sense at all

Compliments for being able to find any at all. I can't. I feel sorry for the actors. They must have signed before the scripts were complete.

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Compliments for being able to find any at all. I can't. I feel sorry for the actors. They must have signed before the scripts were complete.

This is the only thing that makes sense. I wonder if Navarro was originally supposed to be played by another A lister.  Said A lister sees the shit on the wall and noped right the fuck out.

we watched episode 4 last night.  at one point, i had to ask my wife, "what are they trying to solve? who are they looking for?"

Fiona Shaw's talents are being absolutely wasted in this show.  too much Navarro, Danvers' "step" daughter, Danvers trying to get laid.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, utxmike05 said:

So do we think the bar owner guy knows something?  Navarro can't find the spiral stone after showing it to him when he was nursing her injuries.  Classic move of sleeping with one of the bad guys.

That would make sense

one of the very few characters universally liked. 

but if that’s the case, it’s not exactly like he’s getting any good intel from Navarro because they don’t have a clue what they’re doing 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

So do we think the bar owner guy knows something?  Navarro can't find the spiral stone after showing it to him when he was nursing her injuries.  Classic move of sleeping with one of the bad guys.

I thought she left it at his house. I know she took it out of her pocket. I swear she set it down at some point. 

3 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I thought we were supposed to assume she lost it when she got her ass kicked

No somehow the spiral rock didn't fall out.  She should have just thrown it at them while driving by.

She definitely showed her boyfriend bar guy and asked if he had seen it.  He said no, then he moved it to his counter as he helped her.  She was too tired and beat to remember when Liz asked her about it.

Could be nothing...

If this turns out to be some sort of supernatural series, it's really going to piss me off given all the references to the first season.  If you're going to go that route fine, I guess, but take away all the Blair Witch toys and reindeer antlers.

Apropos of nothing, Christopher Eccleston really owns every role he plays. Took me forever to figure out who the hell the actor was playing Ted, even though I've seen him in a million things - I kept thinking it was Michael Rapaport but with a twist, and kicked myself when I finally looked it up.

I think the supernatural has to play into it somehow. They seem to be trying for some kind of Lost-style faith vs reason setup, although less directly than with Jack and Locke, and playing on many of the locals' acceptance of supernatural explanations. I know it's a totally different show, but I keep thinking of Northern Exposure and Joel's beliefs vs those of the locals and Natives. You have the group deaths, possibly of fright, of both the herd of caribou and the scientists in the first episode. Multiple people in different places at different times hearing "she's awake" or whatever the phrase is. The one-eyed polar bear that keeps showing up.

They have a shitload of stuff to wrap up, though, so who knows what'll happen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, austingirl said:

Apropos of nothing, Christopher Eccleston really owns every role he plays. Took me forever to figure out who the hell the actor was playing Ted, even though I've seen him in a million things - I kept thinking it was Michael Rapaport but with a twist, and kicked myself when I finally looked it up.

I totally thought he was Phil Rosenthal.  Sort of blew my mind that they aren't the same person.  Do remember him from The Leftovers though. 

It amused me that 2 Teslas were parked in front of the mine office. That seems like a terrible car for that location. Battery life must be amazing when the high never gets above 0F.

This show is a mess. I reluctantly started watching because I thought Jodie Foster wouldn’t pick a bad script, but that appears to be the wrong decision. I’m rarely entertained by horror movies and this has veered heavily in that direction.

7 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

It amused me that 2 Teslas were parked in front of the mine office. That seems like a terrible car for that location. Battery life must be amazing when the high never gets above 0F.

I caught that too. Just makes no sense at all to have those cars in a place like that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 of 6. The show is now just a comedy of looking for plot holes, incongruent progressions, shoddy detective work, laughable screwups, silly distractions.

By now Fox and Scully would have already arrived, the fbi arrived, the national enquirer posted the pics of the hockey rink, etc.

Jodie’s agent must have taken the gig without a script. Its HBO! It’s True Detective! It’ll be great!

• Hook 'Em 3

So I guess the caves connect to research center and it culminates in them finding the final scientist back at the research center and/or monster of underworld?  I'm guessing final scene is sun coming back up?

Thus the end of night country and whatever is killing people (ie. UV light kills it).

If only a Russian chic had walked off that plane. Things would have been totally different 

Would be funny if she calls from the airport. Hank come get me! I missed my flight! “Sorry honey I did suicide by cop son so I can’t drive”

It was probably Kate getting her money back, catfishing him.

“Hey you just killed your dad but can you clean his brains up? We got somewhere we need to go.”
  • Haha 1

We need a list of all the things they have dangled out to us in the first five episodes that will need to be resolved in the finale. Please add to or correct me if I missed some resolution/explanation. 

- Herd of caribou committing mass suicide

- Meaning of “she’s awake”

- Annie K’s tongue on the floor at Tsalal (still hoping that Clark was so in love with her that he tried to clone her and her clone “woke up” and became a Frankenstein’s monster of some kind)

- How the Tsalal scientists were killed. Seems clear with the coverup story put out by Connolly and McKitterick that we’re not supposed to believe that they just froze to death, and the neat folding of the clothes exactly like Julia Navarro did can’t be just a coincidence.

- Why the Tsalal scientists were killed. I’m assuming it’s because they were going to stop covering up the true pollution amounts for the mine. Or maybe Clark wanted them to do that because of Annie K. and when the rest of the scientists wouldn’t, he somehow killed them?

- Ghosts? I’m prepared to accept that Navarro and her sister have hallucinations, and Navarro probably has PTSD from her time in combat (sudden flashes to her in the desert) but the idea that they both have the exact same hallucinations, including the rolling orange, seems entirely divorced from actual mental health science on schizophrenia. And what about Dead Travis leading Rose to the Tsalal scientist bodies?

- Connections to Season 1. Looking like all of it is just internet fan service Easter eggs. Tuttle United was just a head fake for the real power behind it, the evil mine. Travis Kohle being Rust’s dad? I’ll be surprised if they ever go back to it. The spiral symbols? Are they really going to just dismiss them as a native warning for thin ice? After they’ve been appearing all over the place, nowhere near ice?

- Darwin’s drawing of the woman with her hands cut off that was apparently a native legend told to him by his grandmother? Probably just another red herring  but what’s the point then?

- The hostile native guy from the hunting camp who disappeared when they came back the second time. What happened to him? Or did I miss an explanation?

Any others?

• Hook 'Em 1