2023 Spring Game Thread of Hype and Doom

immamac

Steve Habel: Ewers, Worthy, Murphy are standouts as White beats Orange 21-10 in Texas’ Spring game

AUSTIN – Expectations for success and a potential run to a Big 12 Conference title for the Texas football team were turned up a notch as the White team defeated the Orange 21-10 on Saturday as the Longhorns concluded Spring drills with a bang before a crowd of sun-splashed fans inside Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium.

Quinn Ewers led the White to three first-half scores and ended up with 195 yards and a touchdown passing. He connected on 16 of his 23 throws and hit five different players. Xavier Worthy paced the receivers with four catches for 83 yards, while Jordan Whittington had five receptions for 59 yards. Georgia transfer Adonai Mitchell caught six throws for 58 yards and Ewers’ lone TD pass. Jaydon Blue had 52 yards on 10 carries to lead the White’s rushing attack.

The Orange was led by Maalik Murphy’s 165 yards and one TD passing, with Arch Manning shrugging off a slow start to end up with 30 passing yards in 13 pass attempts. Converted wide receiver Savion Red was the Orange’s top rusher with 45 yards on nine carries. The White finished with 303 yards of offense as compared to 274 for the Orange in a game where the Longhorns’ overall depth and balance was on ready display.

The White team had the only touchdown of the first quarter, marching 80 yards in 11 plays to a 1-yard scoring plunge at right guard on fourth down by CJ Baxter with 5:06 to play in the period. The drive was extended by a 14-yard Ewers-to-Mitchell connection on third down and highlighted by a 46-yard bomb to Worthy on an up-and-out route in which Ewers dropped his pass perfectly into the bucket.

The Orange cut its deficit to 7-3 with a 27-yard field goal from Will Stone at the 9:08 mark of the second quarter. The score was set up by a 35-yard catch-and-run from Murphy to Ty Woods on a wheel route out of the backfield. Murphy also had a 14-yard pass to DeAndre Moore Jr. on the drive that showed off his arm strength.

On the White’s ensuing drive Jaydon Blue found the end zone on a twisting, turning 31-yard run that pushed the lead to 14-3 with 4:24 to play in the half. Blue ran through a set of arm tackles by Jerrin Thompson and Terrance Brooks before sidestepping Malik Muhammed at the 5-yard line and waltzing into the end zone.

Ewers put his stamp on the half via an 11-play, 85-yard march that was culminated by a 13-yard touchdown pass to Mitchell, who climbed the ladder and caught the ball with his outstretched right hand in the end zone. The drive featured a 21-yard pass on third down to Whittington, and later a 22-yard throw to Worthy to convert a fourth down and 7 and extended the White’s lead to 21-3 at the break.

Ewers was 15 of 20 for 193 yards passing in over the first two quarters as the White outgained the Orange 256-101. Murphy hit of 4 of his 5 passes for the Orange for 56 yards while Manning was just 1 of 6 passing for 8 yards.

The Orange pulled to within 21-10 on a 79-yard touchdown bomb down the right sideline from Murphy to Johntay Cook II with 6:24 to play in the third quarter. The Murphy-to-Cook connection came one snap after Murphy’s deep pass over the middle of the field was dropped by Moore. Texas returns to the field for real on Sept. 2, when it opens the season at home against Rice.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BERT said:

Yeah let’s go by a practice where the QB’s don’t have to worry about getting blasted before getting a throw off LMAO!! 

hope some of y’all never change. I do enjoy the laughs 

They couldn’t hit Ewers either and he still threw off his back foot, inaccurately for the most part.  He has not visibly improved.  

Edited by ClubWhatever
  • Hook 'Em 1

Positive for me:

every position on the field except for TE ( we might need to hit the portal) & LB has a backup that could easily be a starter so no one should be comfortable and think they have it. Boys should still be grinding in the summer to be a starter 

Negative : 

It wasn’t that Quinn looked horrible in fact he definitely looked improved from last season but Murphy looked better, and imo stirred a QB controversy up bigger than before.  Either Quinn is going to get on his shit and sure up his weaknesses or Sark is going to have a decision

Also 2nd O-Line didn’t look to good but they’re young. 

I’m so ready for the season man. 

P.S I know a lot of y’all are thinking Murphy may leave but I don’t think it’s that simple. With the progress Murphy showed today that’s what you call QB development, so why wouldn’t he trust Sark to put him in the league. Sark has definitely shown he just needs one year and he can make you a day 1 pick.  I think Murphy trust Sark cause if not he may have been gone 

Just my thought 

Edited by D3zii

Hopefully, Charles Wright won’t transfer for convenience. 

I have to think Charles Wright came here with the intention to stay long term. Austin High, flipped immediately from Iowa State, Thompson and Card already on campus, started through coaching transition.

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

They couldn’t hit Ewers either and he still threw off his back foot, inaccurately for the most part.  He has not visibly improved.  

Maybe but I’ll save it for an actual game that actually matters

I don’t think there will be much of a drop-off at QB, this season, if Ewers gets hurt/struggles badly. Murphy’s progression is going to force Ewers to step up his game all year long while solidifying the QB2 position. This, in turn, will allow Manning to redshirt this year, sit back, relax and soak up the offense.

Sark has got to feel pretty good about his QB group, after this game, knowing that Ewers and Murphy can’t afford to settle down into cruise-control. All the components are there for a successful offense; Ewers just needs to grab the keys to the car and never let go of them because Murphy isn’t too far behind him…and now that he’s finally healthy, he’s only going to continue getting better…game on.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I have to think Charles Wright came here with the intention to stay long term. Austin High, flipped immediately from Iowa State, Thompson and Card already on campus, started through coaching transition.

Well, your judgment has a certain appeal to it. And I have to believe the coaching staff is pleading with Wright to stay.

7 minutes ago, Kitty Boy said:

I don’t think there will be much of a drop-off at QB, this season, if Ewers gets hurt/struggles badly. Murphy’s progression is going to force Ewers to step up his game all year long while solidifying the QB2 position. This, in turn, will allow Manning to redshirt this year, sit back, relax and soak up the offense.

Sark has got to feel pretty good about his QB group, after this game, knowing that Ewers and Murphy can’t afford to settle down into cruise-control now. All the components are there for a successful offense; Ewers just needs to grab the keys to the car first and never let go of them because Murphy isn’t too far behind him…and now that he’s finally healthy, he’s only to continue getting better…game on.

Yes, and this is with Ewers having an extra season in a college program over Murphy. I love me some Quinn Ewers, but Maalik Murphy has a magnificently high ceiling. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I’m disappointed in Ewers. His mechanics look worse than last year, which is troubling. His arm angle looks slightly lower and his feet are even more unset.

If he hasn’t fixed those by now he won’t imo. And those are two things that can turn him into a mediocre at best talent. Murphy looked better today - better arm, better footwork, better aim, better composure. Maybe he just had a crazy good day and normally doesn’t look that good but he looked like a better overall QB today to me 

Edited by The Ace of Aces
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So you morons watched Ewers hit guys down the field, pick apart the defense, throw strikes to Whittington and Mitchel and go15-20 for 190 yards and three Td’s scored in 5 drives in the first half and your takeaway is he’s a problem for us?  

Y’all are clowns. Murphy looked good. It was awesome he beat the 4th string walk on down the field in single coverage twice in a row and I liked it, along with his obviously big arm, but Ewers is going to be first team all conference, in the top 10 in Heisman voting and go in the first round of the draft. It’s fine. He’s fine. We are fine. 

That's a rather wide net you're casting there Einstein.  

• Like 1

I’m a fan. Never really got to see Murphy play. I’d just like a battle between Malik and Ewers. It only makes us better imo. 🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼 I doubt we keep both. I just admire the struggle to get healthy Malik has gone through and it looked like he didn’t miss a beat in terms of being frosty. A fan. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Ewers needs to keep working on the footwork (he's better off schedule I think than a clean pocket where he can set his feet) but I thought he was fine. He was 16-23 with a couple of drops. The long throw from Murphy to Cook will be the play of the game, but that was a walk-on against Cook and he was pretty open. Great throw though and he has an absolute cannon. Manning wasn't helped by his O-line at all. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Lots of people talking on hear talking like Maalik is going to stick around. I want to believe but just can't in today's game.

Pretty sure there will be a lot of tampering with him too.  Plus, people will be mostly likely reaching out to his family.  If Maalik likes how he performed and feels like he needs an opportunity to do/show more, then he'll likely transfer. 

Edited by Mdhorn

Ewers needs to keep working on the footwork (he's better off schedule I think than a clean pocket where he can set his feet) but I thought he was fine. He was 16-23 with a couple of drops. The long throw from Murphy to Cook will be the play of the game, but that was a walk-on against Cook and he was pretty open. Great throw though and he has an absolute cannon. Manning wasn't helped by his O-line at all. 

Ewers long throw to Worthy on a dime wasn’t too shabby. Had Worthy stayed in bounds to score it would be the play of the game…

1 hour ago, Majorcholas said:

Sounds easy unless you’ve actually done it. Pressure on the qb is something you feel because you aren’t looking directly at them. So it’s just as easy to be thrown off even when they can’t hit you. It’s why defenses talk so much about “simulated pressures”. Get the feel but don’t actually have to commit the defenders to it.

Well, I have done it. Obviously not at that level, but it is a little different. You still feel the pressure, but a little part of your brain knows it’s not as much of a risk. But the more important part of my post was that he would’ve been clobbered in a real game. Defense would’ve been coming much faster, and directly at him. Rather than slowing up and taking a slightly off-target line towards him.

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

fucking this

NIL 1%ers activate

NIL 1%ers can’t be counted on for everything. I can tell you there are a lot of unhappy wives in that group. Those guys stepped up in a huge way, but we really need a shit load more of the regular fans to start contributing. Look at what we did here with Burnt Ends? Our TE’s are getting paid more than like 80% of our roster without ANY big money donors involved. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I didn’t catch whatever reference your referring to, but he is a spokesperson for this brand. And the shirts are awesome. Got a couple. I’m wearing that exact one right now, in fact.

He had on the white shirt that was a kin to this one: https://www.ponchooutdoors.com/collections/original/products/white-short-sleeve-shirt

Well, I have done it. Obviously not at that level, but it is a little different. You still feel the pressure, but a little part of your brain knows it’s not as much of a risk. But the more important part of my post was that he would’ve been clobbered in a real game. Defense would’ve been coming much faster, and directly at him. Rather than slowing up and taking a slightly off-target line towards him.

This is spot on. Very excited about how good he looked. But I do believe that he took advantage (lack of better words) of the situation and on the deep throws stepped up or settled into comfort zones that wouldn’t be there in a real game.

Nevertheless….if he really was as raw as everyone says he was coming in, he’s looking really good

I’m confused was Murphy playing by different rules than the other QBs? Were they allowed to get hit. Are you implying Murphy who played on a high school team where he was bigger than his OL is unaccustomed to being pressured?

He played great under the same conditions as the other QBs, what’s there to “what if” about?
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, D3zii said:

P.S I know a lot of y’all are thinking Murphy may leave but I don’t think it’s that simple. With the progress Murphy showed today that’s what you call QB development, so why wouldn’t he trust Sark to put him in the league. Sark has definitely shown he just needs one year and he can make you a day 1 pick.  I think Murphy trust Sark cause if not he may have been gone 

Sigh. No. And there’s no QB controversy. Not a real one. Quinn is the starter. The off-season is made longer with this shit. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So you morons watched Ewers hit guys down the field, pick apart the defense, throw strikes to Whittington and Mitchel and go15-20 for 190 yards and three Td’s scored in 5 drives in the first half and your takeaway is he’s a problem for us?  

Y’all are clowns. Murphy looked good. It was awesome he beat the 4th string walk on down the field in single coverage twice in a row and I liked it, along with his obviously big arm, but Ewers is going to be first team all conference, in the top 10 in Heisman voting and go in the first round of the draft. It’s fine. He’s fine. We are fine. 

image.gif.5a6c50d01e93bc9e902396495b9446be.gif