2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

I have seen enough of Blue down the stretch to know that he is an absolute badass who is going to kill it in our offense.  As a runner, pass catcher, and if they let him, kickoff returns.  He has rare speed for a back and plays big.  That fumble was unfortunate, he was trying to make a play and get extra yards.  But he is going to be a major, major problem for opposing teams.

Yep, out of all the players on next year's offense, Blue might be the one I am most excited about.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Why was he of interest to us? There were better LBs in the portal and obviously, the scholarship offer didn't come from our LB coach.

I presume due to significant ST contributions? No idea. I don't think he was a big deal on the NIL end. Might be a good program guy who's been coached well from a culture and prep perspective that they think will help a very young LB room?

23 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I guess Downs and Mukuba at safety would be alright. Are we really going after him?

I don't see any fucking way Texas is in on Downs. If so, some folks are going nuts trying to make this the year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We aren't going after Downs. With Barron back we're pretty much set in the DB room for now except for taking the home run swing at Muhammad at corner. We have a big incoming freshman class with Filsaime looking probable to be able to back up one of the safety spots. Taafe got a lot of unwarranted shit on here, he played very well last season and got blamed for a lot of other people making errors in reads or just in communication. Mostly Thompson and Crawford. 

Only real need is DT and I expect Sark and Wright or whoever the new DT coach is to go full on into it either in spring portal or one of these special portals if more coaches leave. The plan is probably to get Niblack or Yurasek now then put everything into DT. 

With Robinson bailing on us they're at 87 scholarships now, and 88 if they plan on giving Auburn one for his great production. 89 if Muhammad comes in, 90 if a TE comes in. They're going to need 5+ deep bench guys to bail to the portal after spring ball. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I think having a limited thumper at LB as a situational player is a useful club to have in the bag, if the NIL/roster space isn't at the expense of someone we really need

I like the mix of styles in the running back room between Blue, Baxter, the freshmen, Red, and Wisner, even if not all of them are reliable/proven

Keep in mind the run blocking should continue to take steps forward

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

We aren't going after Downs. With Barron back we're pretty much set in the DB room for now except for taking the home run swing at Muhammad at corner. We have a big incoming freshman class with Filsaime looking probable to be able to back up one of the safety spots. Taafe got a lot of unwarranted shit on here, he played very well last season and got blamed for a lot of other people making errors in reads or just in communication. Mostly Thompson and Crawford. 

Only real need is DT and I expect Sark and Wright or whoever the new DT coach is to go full on into it either in spring portal or one of these special portals if more coaches leave. The plan is probably to get Niblack or Yurasek now then put everything into DT. 

With Robinson bailing on us they're at 87 scholarships now, and 88 if they plan on giving Auburn one for his great production. 89 if Muhammad comes in, 90 if a TE comes in. They're going to need 5+ deep bench guys to bail to the portal after spring ball. 

So you're worried about numbers?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, closetojumping said:

Good. This is starting to look like a dismantling for Bama. Fuck them.

I wonder how many more names will start to pop up. I think I saw with Downs they were up to 26 portal entries....this would make 27?

That's 4/5 starters gone on their OL, right?

Edited by BurntOrange&White

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This guy looks like he was built in a lab to play tackle, but Burke abused him in our game against them. Didn't look like he had improved a ton by the time of the playoffs, either. I'm guessing he got the honors based on his recruiting ranking and heavy playing time for a playoff team.

Just now, FloridaHorn said:

Damn, they are getting absolutely gutted, and I am here for every fucking second of it. What in the hell is DeBoer telling saying that no one is willing to stay on board.

I don’t think he’s much of a recruiter. Just a really good coach. They will be a shell of themselves, which can still be a damn good team. 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think it's what someone said earlier....they're going all in with Quinn this year on offense. Bolden can also line up in the back field and would be huge in the punt or kick return game.

I think this line of thinking is wrong. We're gonna keep setting up our QB to have the best chance to succeed. I'd bet aggressive money that Arch Manning won't lack for talent around him in 2025. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Teryor said:

I think this line of thinking is wrong. We're gonna keep setting up our QB to have the best chance to succeed. I'd bet aggressive money that Arch Manning won't lack for talent around him in 2025. 

Well obviously....but that is 2025 season. I'm talking specifically for 2024 season. 8 catches was the returning production. Sark and co went out and nabbed almost as much returning production as we lost. They're not going to leave our QB's with "potential" in terms of receivers/targets.

IMO 2024 will have more WR production in terms of touchdowns and yards than 2023.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Damn, they are getting absolutely gutted, and I am here for every fucking second of it. What in the hell is DeBoer telling saying that no one is willing to stay on board.

"He's Tom Herman reincarnated." ~ "Kurt" Bohls

When Saban first announced his retirement, I just about posted a very wrong opinion. I actually thought there wouldn’t be much attrition from Bama, since they hired a guy who’s a pretty good coach and did it so quickly. I guess a lot of these guys could still end up back at Bama, but I’m pretty surprised at the number of players who’ve hit the portal. 

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Hook 'Em 1

Will be interesting to see if the shine comes off DeBoer pretty quickly if Bama finishes 7-5 or 6-6 and his HS recruiting rankings suck.

Transfers may be less inclined to go to Bama - why, when you have Georgia, LSU, Texas and OU as better options? Not to mention Ole Miss and Auburn. 

I was pretty surprised that we took a 3rd portal receiver given that resources are finite and we have several talented underclassmen who are now transfer risks.

The flip side is that our draw for WRs is very strong right now. Our top 4 pass catchers are about to be drafted (3 in the first two rounds), we return a very experienced QB, and our offensive coaching staff is all in place. Seems possible that maybe we did just want two, all three guys wanted in, we didn't need to be the absolute highest bidder, and they were too good to say no to.

• Like 1

Jeez I didn't expect this much attrition either. Wonder where Proctor will end up, that will be a expensive one.

Seen a few rumors on twitter that Jaheim Oatis may enter. That would be a nice add if we could get him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, tokamak said:

I was pretty surprised that we took a 3rd portal receiver given that resources are finite and we have several talented underclassmen who are now transfer risks.

The flip side is that our draw for WRs is very strong right now. Our top 4 pass catchers are about to be drafted (3 in the first two rounds), we return a very experienced QB, and our offensive coaching staff is all in place. Seems possible that maybe we did just want two, all three guys wanted in, we didn't need to be the absolute highest bidder, and they were too good to say no to.

I agree. Another thing to consider is maybe we aren't as concerned about losing WRs because they are always available in the portal.

34 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Office Space No GIF

I think we can make room for an all-American DB and potential first rounder to help stop the decade plus torching of our secondary 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

24 minutes ago, tokamak said:

This guy looks like he was built in a lab to play tackle, but Burke abused him in our game against them. Didn't look like he had improved a ton by the time of the playoffs, either. I'm guessing he got the honors based on his recruiting ranking and heavy playing time for a playoff team.

He was also a true freshman.

21 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

IMO 2024 will have more WR production in terms of touchdowns and yards than 2023.

I hope so. I feel like we left a LOT on the table at times last season.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:

Office Space No GIF

I think we can make room for an all-American DB and potential first rounder to help stop the decade plus torching of our secondary 

He's not coming for free. 

We're not paying out the ass to add another DB especially if we land Muhammad. Just isn't happening. 

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Why was he of interest to us? There were better LBs in the portal and obviously, the scholarship offer didn't come from our LB coach.

Seems to be we needed experienced depth at LB. Guy wanted to come home. Likely little to no NIL draw. Also tells me the coaches like our youngsters. 

14 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Alabama NIL must suck.

It was way behind others, but playing for Saban could overcome it. Now that he's gone, so are these guys that will get paid much more other places.

If we get Downs, then we will probably lose some from that room, which is ok because Downs is worth it.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

When Saban first announced his retirement, I just about posted a very wrong opinion. I actually thought there wouldn’t be much attrition from Bama, since they hired a guy who’s a pretty good coach and did it so quicker. I guess a lot of these guys could still end up back at Bama, but I’m pretty surprised at the number of players who’ve hit the portal. 

It probably has something to do with hiring someone from Washington that probably did not recruit any of these guys and thus they do not know him at all.  Add in the fact that it seems like his coordinators/position coaches are either from Washington or coaches from smaller schools that would not have been recruiting the same level of athlete and thus the current players would not know them either.

My guess is it would have been a little better if they had hired Sark/Lanning/Norvell.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:

Office Space No GIF

He would be the best player in the secondary next season at Texas so other than NIL $$$ being limited I don’t know why Texas wouldn’t pursue him. It’s prob a long shot anyway.

14 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:

CJ Vogel said he's on record of saying Saban and Smart were the only coaches he'd consider to develop him. May not be written in stone, but sounds like Georgia is where he's most likely to go.

22 minutes ago, tokamak said:

We had 8 total receptions worth of returning production at the WR position heading into the SEC, that is not a good formula for success. I would expect for Sark to loosen up the receiver rotation a bit this year since there is a lot of talented depth that needs to get experience. I would like to see us field 6-7 WRs that get consistent snaps. Cook, Bond, Golden, Boldin, Wingo, Niblett and Moore should all be seeing action next season.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

I have seen enough of Blue down the stretch to know that he is an absolute badass who is going to kill it in our offense.  As a runner, pass catcher, and if they let him, kickoff returns.  He has rare speed for a back and plays big.  That fumble was unfortunate, he was trying to make a play and get extra yards.  But he is going to be a major, major problem for opposing teams.

I am concerned about precisely two positions right now, DT and TE.  And I am not all that concerned about them.  I suspect they will be addressed.

One thing I've seen consistently from Blue that I think is an important and under appreciated trait is his patience in the backfield to let his blocks develop.  So many RBs just run headlong to where the play is designed without that patience and miss out on some yards.  Blue shows that patience and then has the acceleration and speed to hit the holes his blockers create.

• Hook 'Em 5

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.