2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

2 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

We needs studs and competition.  Taafe should never be on the field for Texas unless he's covering a kick or bringing someone water.  If someone wants to spend the money to make our roster better at a major position of need, who are we to argue?  If we can't land the boys upfront this cycle, we better be able to cover on the back end.  I'm sure we are thrown in here to drive up the price but if the interest from the money players is real, absolutely take this guy over what we have.

Taafe was our best safety and most likely a backup next year. One of Barron or Mukuba will be at safety and we'll have a 2nd year Derek Williams. So if you take this guy it's mostly likely in place of Derek Williams and then you risk Williams transferring for a 1 year rental. Just don't think the upside is worth losing Williams and all that money that could be used to shore up the DT spot and TE. 

Starting 5 DBs of Barron, Muhammad, Mukuba, Williams, and either Washington Muhammad or Brooks looks pretty salty. Way better than last season. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Taafe was our best safety and most likely a backup next year. One of Barron or Mukuba will be at safety and we'll have a 2nd year Derek Williams. So if you take this guy it's mostly likely in place of Derek Williams and then you risk Williams transferring for a 1 year rental. Just don't think the upside is worth losing Williams and all that money that could be used to shore up the DT spot and TE. 

Starting 5 DBs of Barron, Muhammad, Mukuba, Williams, and either Washington Muhammad or Brooks looks pretty salty. Way better than last season. 

I thought Caleb Downs is a true freshman this year. 

20 hours ago, LonghornBreeder said:

This is great and all, but I kinda hope we get the Stanford TE. I don't want the 'Horns to be the team that won an NC with a bunch a Bama defectors.

I mean... I'll take the NC either way and cheer. Just stating a preference. 

Shut The Fuck Up Veep Season 6 GIF by Veep HBO

If Texas had won this year it would have been with several starters (QB, WR, CB, off the top of my head) that "defected" from various schools. Not to mention Kelvin Banks, who basically fell into Texas's lap out of luck and decommitted from Oregon only after Mario Cristobal left Oregon. Worthy also had to ask for a NLI release from Michigan.

Do you think Michigan didn't have key transfers? Georgia the past couple years? Washington? TCU? 

It's an essential part of the game now.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Kelvin Banks, who basically fell into Texas's lap out of luck and decommitted from Oregon only after Mario Cristobal left Oregon.

Kelvin Banks wasn't going to Oregon because Cristobal was a well-respected OL coach at Alabama. He was going to Oregon because Cristobal learned the Alabama way under Saban and took that knowledge to Oregon.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

I don’t know if he’s any good, but there’s another TE on the market. 

The height/weight measurables sound awesome. 4 star coming out of HS. Has a blue steel vibe going in his pic. Dunno what his story is.

image.thumb.png.5efab4c94eb244f3b04c992031269577.png

Ben Stiller Model GIF

Edited by derp
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bwub60 said:

TE

4 hours ago, bwub60 said:

It's a joke

3 minutes ago, bwub60 said:

How dare you!

4 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

We finally found Ian Boyd's surly handle.

With an average of 2.333 words per post, I can unequivocally state that @bwub60 is NOT Ian Boyd.

• Haha 8

7 minutes ago, derp said:

The height/weight measurables sound awesome. 4 star coming out of HS. Has a blue steel vibe going in his pic. Dunno what his story is.

image.thumb.png.5efab4c94eb244f3b04c992031269577.png

Ben Stiller Model GIF

Six receptions for 44 yards in that productive of an offense over two seasons doesn't scream "he's a take" to me. I'd definitely be disappointed if this is who Texas ended up with over Niblack (Alabama) or Yurosek (Stanford).

4 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Six receptions for 44 yards in that productive of an offense over two seasons doesn't scream "he's a take" to me. I'd definitely be disappointed if this is who Texas ended up with over Niblack (Alabama) or Yurosek (Stanford).

I’d rather keep who we have if we don’t get Niblack or Yurosek.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bamboozled73 said:

I thought Caleb Downs is a true freshman this year. 

You're right, I thought he was mentioned as a freshman in 2021. Everything I looked up now showed 2023. 

In that case if they wanted to get him it would be Williams who portals unless they convinced him to stay and fight with Filsaime for a spot in 2025. 

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Deej said:

He probably doesn't know the name of the city The University of Texas was located in, so we're safe. 

Chuckles: "Yes I do."

Deej: "Ok, what is it?"

Chuckles: "University of, Texas. Zipcode 5128693312"

charlie-strong-fist-pump.gif.469caba1f47ea3767f27c212460c31c7.gif

Chuckles: "Nailed it!"

Edited by Mr. Mojo Risin'
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

You're right, I thought he was mentioned as a freshman in 2021. Everything I looked up now showed 2023. 

In that case if they wanted to get him it would be Williams who portals unless they convinced him to stay and fight with Filsaime for a spot in 2025. 

Caleb Downs is going to be a top 15 pick in 2 years. 

If he wants to come here you don't worry about who portals. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Aslan24 said:

Raise the banner! Engrave the plaque!

This is going to set sky high expectations from a bunch of Aggies who don’t realize it’s just quantity, not quality. As they finish out a 7-5 or 8-4 season with a loss to Texas, they will be wondering what the heck happened, with no idea that they’ve already peaked. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

This is going to set sky high expectations from a bunch of Aggies who don’t realize it’s just quantity, not quality. As they finish out a 7-5 or 8-4 season with a loss to Texas, they will be wondering what the heck happened, with no idea that they’ve already peaked. 

Will they now reward the Elk with a 10 year contract?

• Haha 3

We are not getting him so not an issue.

Eric Nahlin: Wednesday night Texas notes on coaching search and high profile portal targets

I’ve been working the phones and this is what I’ve come up with today. There isn’t much earth shattering but there are some positive trend lines in UT’s favor.

D-Tackle coach, by way of NFL 

It’s an NFL guy. Which NFL guy? That I’m not sure. There isn’t a list of candidates; there is a hire that Sark has either made or is just waiting until after that coach’s season is over to finalize. As we suspected, Sark has his man.  Many fans are simply naming the best guys they can think of even if they don’t make logical sense. Since I don’t know who it is, maybe it is one of those guys but I doubt it.  I don’t care who it is because I trust Sark. 

If it is Rodrique Wright, that works for me. That wouldn’t be close to the same thing as randomly naming a former Longhorn great with zero coaching background. If it was Mack Brown making that sort of hire, then I’d have some concerns. Sark wouldn’t hire a guy to “bring him home.” He’d hire him because he’s a good coach, good fit, and, oh yeah, being at home is a good recruiting pitch. How many times do you think Freddie Roach has used that angle at Alabama?

TE Amari Niblack, by way of Alabama

The Alabama transfer will visit soon. I don’t know the exact day and time. I still feel strongly Texas will land one of Niblack or Benjamin Yurosek and I lean towards Niblack being more likely. He’d be in the program for Spring ball which is an obvious benefit. While Yurosek went to Stanford, he’s also from Bakersfield, which is like California’s Abilene. He might struggle to learn the offense.  I kid. Niblack having multiple Alabama teammates committed to Texas is a plus. Those guys are working on him.

So, if I think they get one of the two, and I think Niblack is more likely, why not put in an RPM? I’m just not quite there yet. In the event Texas goes hard after Yurosek I could have egg on my face. We’ll keep investigating this one but I like UT’s chances of landing Niblack at this time.

CB Jabbar Muhammad, by way of Washington, by way of Oklahoma StateaI

If you recall his cousin Malik Muhammad‘s recruitment I mentioned there was a lot of slack in it. A slack recruitment is one where ground can be made up very quickly. I have heard Muhammad’s visit is going well after Oregon probably held a slight lead coming in. He arrived today and will also visit tomorrow. I think there’s a slight chance Texas can shut this one down on the visit, but it’s more likely he’ll visit Alabama and Oregon. He’s not a kid, he’s a man making a business decision so he’s not going to get caught up in an emotional decision.  Texas does have the same tailwinds with Jabbar that it had with Malik, namely proximity and extensive family ties to the school.

Bottomline, I feel good here, better than I did a couple of days ago. However, between Oregon’s NIL and Alabama’s desperation (including Jabbar’s familiarity with Kalen DeBoer) as it acclimates to its new normal, I’m not ready to rev up the RPM’s just yet.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Aslan24 said:

Raise the banner! Engrave the plaque!

Very impressive that they won the 2023-24 NCAA Bread Collecting National Championship, to go along with last year's Championships in Meat Judging and Wool Judging.

Hopefully Elko doesn't eat the trophy before they can add it to the Hall of Champions...

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Shut The Fuck Up Veep Season 6 GIF by Veep HBO

If Texas had won this year it would have been with several starters (QB, WR, CB, off the top of my head) that "defected" from various schools. Not to mention Kelvin Banks, who basically fell into Texas's lap out of luck and decommitted from Oregon only after Mario Cristobal left Oregon. Worthy also had to ask for a NLI release from Michigan.

Do you think Michigan didn't have key transfers? Georgia the past couple years? Washington? TCU? 

I was not reflecting negatively on the portal in general. I think it's great that guys like Golden can come back to UT after making a bad choice out of high school. I was only saying that it would seem odd to take so many of the defectors from one school (in this case, Alabama).

I think some responses have been fair rebuttals - like how great it would be to win an NC with the player Saban couldn't win with. You, on the other hand, have only demonstrated your lack of reading comprehension.

27 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Eric Nahlin: Wednesday night Texas notes on coaching search and high profile portal targets

I know few insiders,  but do happen to know one that's tied into the West Coast.  Word was that Wash liked/appreciated Muhammad this year,  but at 5'9" feel he may be limited at next level and not likely a future NFL CB,  thus they think his 'team" is trying to max his income in his last year (rather than finding best showcase)  Thinks the ask is upper 6 figures to land.  Their bet was on Oregon.  I don't see Texas matching that kind of price tag for a one year rental.  Guess is the visit is price shopping,  but we'll see.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, TheAuditor said:

I know few insiders,  but do happen to know one that's tied into the West Coast.  Word was that Wash liked/appreciated Muhammad this year,  but at 5'9" feel he may be limited at next level and not likely a future NFL CB,  thus they think his 'team" is trying to max his income in his last year (rather than finding best showcase)  Thinks the ask is upper 6 figures to land.  Their bet was on Oregon.  I don't see Texas matching that kind of price tag for a one year rental.  Guess is the visit is price shopping,  but we'll see.  

image.gif.d1a7e06a5042f35c52655b9a69f57cb6.gif

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

200.gif
Transfers are going to become so common most TV talkings heads may mention it once and never again throughout the game. Hell, with teams like the Fightin' Freshwaters and aggy nearly every player will have a "transfer from X school" beside their name. Idc where our transfers come from as long as they help us win games.

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.