2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

To: Alabama Football Staff

Subject: A Fork in the Road

Going forward, to build a breakthrough Twitter Bama 2.0 and succeed in an increasingly competitive world, we will need to be extremely hardcore. This will mean working long hours at high intensity. Only exceptional performance will constitute a passing grade.

Bama will also be much more football-driven. Recruiting and roster management will still be very important and report to me, but those coaching football will constitute the majority of our team and have the greatest sway. At its heart, Bama is a football team, so I think this makes sense.

If you are sure that you want to be part of the new Bama, please click yes on the link below:

Anyone who has not done so by 5pm ET tomorrow (Thursday) will receive three months of severance.

Whatever decision you make, thank you for your efforts to make Bama successful.

CKD

i-understood-that-reference-chris-evans.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Helm won't surprise me. I think he's going to wind up drafted and playing for awhile in the NFL. I don't see that after next season, but I think he's on that journey if he stays 5 years. He's showing improvement year over year in every part of his game as he adds weight and strength. I think we'll see plenty of Helm and Niblack on the field together. 

I wasn't really talking about the players. He came in and immediately fired over 30 roles on staff. He's not even spoken to most of the people there that he inherited that he hasn't fired yet. This isn't some sad sack group of personnel. Most of these people are considered elite at what they do and will find themselves in other big time spots when they exit the Bama program. He's already torn out infrastructure that wasn't required to be dismantled. It's not like he's been tasked with cutting costs or killing the culture. 

He's also been reluctant to meet with $$ and Saban. It's a bold strategy.

Not sure it's as much a bold strategy as it is shitty senior leadership.  When you inherit a team, you spend a little time figuring out what you have.  Sure, you are going to have "your guys" but you need to make some level of effort to get to understand what's already in place.  In many cases, the org structure does not tell you everything.

Day 0 on job: get 2 hours to talk to Saban; get a brain dump on the pros/cons, best and worst administrators, best and worst $$$
Day 1 on the job: talk to team; 1:1 talks with people in roles you'll want to fill with "your guys" to make sure that's what you want to do; 1:1 talks with other senior people
Days 2-3: 1:1 chats with every football staffer;
Days 4-5:  1:1 chats with extended org

It's a pretty basic approach to org transition, esp. when you inherit an intact capable team. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Huh, I didn't realize that applies to us (and players leaving us) since we aren't in the SEC until July 1. 

you hate to see it, but more than that....you love to see it

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

I think “CSS” will confuse a lot of people lol

Charlie Strong Stupid?

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, who fired the 30 support staff members, analysts, recruiting coordinators, etc.? Because they didn't all just fucking quit when Saban retired. They got fired. Because that isn't flying apart, that is dismantling. 

I was more referring to the recruiting machine and portal defections, but I have it on good authority that there was a mutiny organized by Charlie Strong. At dawn, the analysts and GAs attacked a vending machine in the lobby only to realize they were in the liberal arts building before security disarmed the mutineers of their plungers and watermelon rind helmets. 

19 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
1 hour ago, Rimbo said:
What are the odds we get a DT while we still don't have a DT coach, and should I be rooting for the Ravens tomorrow?

0-100%

Wait I guess I missed something, who is the name on the Texans staff? Edit I’ll answer that myself, rod wright is really who we are hoping for? Not the worst but..

Edited by RockyMountainHighHorn

34 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

Not sure it's as much a bold strategy as it is shitty senior leadership.  When you inherit a team, you spend a little time figuring out what you have.  Sure, you are going to have "your guys" but you need to make some level of effort to get to understand what's already in place.  In many cases, the org structure does not tell you everything.

Yeah, saw a past video where DeBoer said that the first thing he and his assistant coaches did at Washington was sit down, listen and get to know the current players.  He claimed that during the first couple months there, it was their biggest priority to build trust.

His start at Bama does not match up with these comments about Washington.  Maybe he wants to remove Saban smell/influence from the Bama program?

Not sure removing a ton of quality support staff immediately is the right approach though -- maybe he's paranoid about leaks to $9.95ers the loyalty of existing personnel?

DeBoer's first season at Bama is gonna be an interesting thing to watch.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I talked to one of my buddies for a bit this afternoon and what I'm about to pass on makes a lot more sense. 

Deboer has certainly entered the chat in weird and uncomfortable ways with everyone, so part of the activities are his. This includes casting aside a healthy chunk of infrastructure and off field personnel immediately. It includes appearing to almost run off numerous players immediately, including and obviously Sayin. There's more turmoil with the roster happening shortly, most believe. Cool.

More people were laid off yesterday who were part of Saban's machine and inner circle, in addition to the stuff in the news. This was done by the AD, Byrne, who was direct about it. He hasn't been able to deal with anything in the football operations since he got there, which is "not right" for an AD, and he's going to earn his paycheck now by shaking things up. Deboer agreed to let him pare things the way he sees fit in order to be able to hire who he wants and pay no regard to what he's inherited. 

Byrne's playing a big part in everything. I couldn't help but laugh. It sounds like a total dumpster fire. It also sounds like Byrne may be trying to handle the donor side of things himself, which isn't crazy at places like Texas, but hasn't been how it's been done with Saban at Bama.

Saban had a bunch of people on staff who played key roles in handling players off the field and keeping players happy and out of trouble. That entire group of staff was laid off by Byrne almost immediately and described as "unnecessary". 

My friends are friends and former coworkers with the Bama people at Texas and my friend working at Bama is considered one of the pioneers in their field for college athletics. Who knows what the future holds, I guess? 

@SydneyCarton and I will be playing golf next month with our buddy who doesn't work at Bama but has been deeply involved with their program and the money players associated to it for years. Maybe we can get them to loosen up and tell us some good stuff to pass on here. 

The combined timing of Texas' entrance to the SEC and major transition (read: implosion of a dynasty) at Alabama couldn't be better.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

I talked to one of my buddies for a bit this afternoon and what I'm about to pass on makes a lot more sense. 
Deboer has certainly entered the chat in weird and uncomfortable ways with everyone, so part of the activities are his. This includes casting aside a healthy chunk of infrastructure and off field personnel immediately. It includes appearing to almost run off numerous players immediately, including and obviously Sayin. There's more turmoil with the roster happening shortly, most believe. Cool.
More people were laid off yesterday who were part of Saban's machine and inner circle, in addition to the stuff in the news. This was done by the AD, Byrne, who was direct about it. He hasn't been able to deal with anything in the football operations since he got there, which is "not right" for an AD, and he's going to earn his paycheck now by shaking things up. Deboer agreed to let him pare things the way he sees fit in order to be able to hire who he wants and pay no regard to what he's inherited. 
Byrne's playing a big part in everything. I couldn't help but laugh. It sounds like a total dumpster fire. It also sounds like Byrne may be trying to handle the donor side of things himself, which isn't crazy at places like Texas, but hasn't been how it's been done with Saban at Bama.
Saban had a bunch of people on staff who played key roles in handling players off the field and keeping players happy and out of trouble. That entire group of staff was laid off by Byrne almost immediately and described as "unnecessary". 
My friends are friends and former coworkers with the Bama people at Texas and my friend working at Bama is considered one of the pioneers in their field for college athletics. Who knows what the future holds, I guess? 
[mention=192]SydneyCarton[/mention] and I will be playing golf next month with our buddy who doesn't work at Bama but has been deeply involved with their program and the money players associated to it for years. Maybe we can get them to loosen up and tell us some good stuff to pass on here. 

Take my $9.95!!!!!!
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

Let me play devil’s advocate-maybe DeBoer has done this with limited NIL resources in mind.  “I can’t Saban this program because I’m not Saban.”

He knows that means he’s going to lose next year but it’s a means to jumpstart the NIL donors or get state/institutional support as we presume LSU does (the whole robbing hospital thing).  

Plus it makes for a clean expectation break and he’s thinking this gives him more runway than otherwise (in other words, he can point to year over year improvement, which is easier starting from 4-8).  

Finally, he understands that 70% of this was out of his control-once the portal was open and without Saban the wolves would circle and there simply wasn’t money keeping everyone in.  

I’m with @closetojumping that dismantling all of the Saban machine parts is pouring gasoline on the fire and isn’t likely helpful, but that’s all behind the scenes.  

I'm not even ready to assume he loses a bunch of games next year. He seems to be assembling a good staff, he's a good coach himself, and that roster is still loaded with talent. Plus I assume he will pull some transfers in before the season starts. 

If he can figure out the QB situation (big if), I expect Bama to still be a top 10 team next year.

He was buoyed this year by 5th and 6th year players all over defense and 6th year Penix throwing to 3 really good receivers. 

They have like 6 losable games next year as things stand. They lose maybe half of those if Milroe stays healthy.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, ousux said:

Looks small compared to Sweat, but the strong Poly ties may make up for it.

Having played rugby against Polynesians in my past I have a theory that their bloodline adds an extra 40 lbs that scales just can’t comprehend

Edited by CaseMcCoyTruther
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

I'm not even ready to assume he loses a bunch of games next year. He seems to be assembling a good staff, he's a good coach himself, and that roster is still loaded with talent. Plus I assume he will pull some transfers in before the season starts. 

If he can figure out the QB situation (big if), I expect Bama to still be a top 10 team next year.

No offense, and you may be correct, but this reads like something lifted directly from Texags about The Elk.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, CaseMcCoyTruther said:

Having played rugby against Polynesians in my past I have a theory that their bloodline adds an extra 40 lbs that scales just can’t comprehend

I lived in Samoa for a while in my 20s. I'm reasonably athletic and was in pretty good shape and regularly got my ass kicked in the village rugby game by 9th graders.

• Hook 'Em 5

so i guess this rule doesn’t pertain to us since we enter in july?  has this been confirmed? 

if not, who will ever tell sark!?!? 

8 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

This may have been discussed, but just saw this in an article on the Athletic

Hide contents

Let’s say you’re a backup safety at Georgia or a backup receiver at Texas who thought about transferring during the prescribed window but decided you liked your chances at earning playing time. Then you see a new starter parachute in, and you know that, barring injury or something else unforeseen, you’re probably a backup again. Well, your deadline has passed. There is no 30-day window that kicks in for you.

Yes, there is the post-spring transfer window. But if you’re at Georgia, Texas or any SEC school, that would be too late to transfer to another SEC school and be eligible this fall. Not a problem if you’re content going somewhere else. But unfortunate for those who would’ve preferred that

I didn’t realize players transferring from an SEC school in the spring window aren’t eligible immediately if they move in-conference. Makes it even tougher for Alabama to offset these losses, they can’t really look at SEC players once the portal reopens for them 

3 minutes ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

so i guess this rule doesn’t pertain to us since we enter in july?  has this been confirmed? 

if not, who will ever tell sark!?!? 

I have to think that operating under BigXII rules until July, and pulling the rug out from under the fellow SEC schools has become the new play. Show up with a top two roster in the conference from day one. Chess vs. checkers.

CHIEF

• Drool 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.