2024 Transfer Thread - The Pedantic Circlejerk

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Since some don't venture to Football board... Nice find by @Josef Pwag😋

Sounds like Bo doesnt get to walk into schools anymore and lead with the money that can be thrown their way like he did here. He didnt even get top tier guys doing that, so I imagine his recruiting chops are G5 level bad.

• Hook 'Em 1

Brooks has some really good options if he will commit to playing safety full time. That’s where many coaches in the portal see his future. If he wants to be recruited at cornerback only his options are not that great. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

2023 – – Played in five games, but had no statistics.

2022 – – Redshirted… did not see any game action… missed significant practice time in preseason and 2023 spring practice due to injury.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

He should have very little trouble picking up Collin Klein's offense, since it will be essentially the same as the Brian Ferentz offense he's used to playing in.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

21 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Imagine being excited to land a former 3* recruit who missed most of his senior season in HS due to injury, and racked up 0 stats in 2 years of college.  

Oof

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Sounds like Bo doesnt get to walk into schools anymore and lead with the money that can be thrown their way like he did here. He didnt even get top tier guys doing that, so I imagine his recruiting chops are G5 level bad.

19 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Maybe my brain isn’t functioning optimally (too much time on Surly), but with the shit job Davis did over the years recruiting DTs and with a scholarship to play with, I can see an argument for bringing in a once highly rated younger player with the preferred size (so not a Swanson type) and upside and getting him in the system now, rather than wait to win a recruiting battle for a high school kid.

17 hours ago, bEastTexas said:

As has been stated we have a couple extra scholarships, if he develops he helps cover up some of Bo’s shitty 2022 and 2023 recruiting and if he doesn’t you ship him off in January. Literally a no lose situation. 

It’s been pretty fun to watch this board do a complete 180 on Bo Davis in the span of a few months. College football fandom at its finest. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Drummond said:

He may very well suck, but not sure we can blame him for not racking up stats in Iowa's offense last couple of years.

I just wondering what tape aggy used to evaluate him...his junior year in HS?  Or the dozen or so routes he ran in the 5 games he played at Iowa?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I just wondering what tape aggy used to evaluate him...his junior year in HS?  Or the dozen or so routes he ran in the 5 games he played at Iowa?

Lol at thinking they watched tape and didn’t just take him bc P5 WR

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Burrell, blackshire and brooks for Moore?  Did we get any picks or a ptbnl?

The way Moore has been talked about, we may end up still owing them Max Merril,

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

It’s been pretty consensus here for quite some time that Bo is a good coach/developer but a shit recruiter. This isn’t something new that just popped up. 

lol. That was absolutely not the consensus on this board 12 months ago. The consensus was that Bo was knocking it out of the park with underrated gems like Sydir Mitchell, Jaray Bledsoe, Aaron Bryant, Kris Ross and others, and that any gnashing of teeth about our future DT depth chart was nothing but histrionics. It's fine, it's what fans of college football recruiting do. 

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Nah. People have pretty consistently complained about his recruiting, as evidenced by the fact that we've taken 2 portal DTs and DT is still considered a need position. No one's saying we're happy he left, but his recruiting was a weak point at Texas with top-level NIL. Now if he's at LSU with no NIL and a HC who's one of the worst recruiting HCs in the country, it could be a real problem for LSU moving forward. 

Look, it’s not like they are paying this guy $4 mil per year. What more can you expect for just $2.5 mil?

36 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

lol. That was absolutely not the consensus on this board 12 months ago. The consensus was that Bo was knocking it out of the park with underrated gems like Sydir Mitchell, Jaray Bledsoe, Aaron Bryant, Kris Ross and others, and that any gnashing of teeth about our future DT depth chart was nothing but histrionics. It's fine, it's what fans of college football recruiting do. 

There are no others buddy lol those 4 guys are our only interior DL takes the for the 22 and 23 classes. You think people were happy with landing 2 mid 4*, 1 borderline 4* and a 3* over 2 classes? Maybe you weren’t paying attention but it’s been heavily discussed here the last 12+ months. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

That's not very nice to Moore. Merrill is the trade equivalent of a bad contract 

For the current football roster; not for the long-term financial health of the football team/AD (apparently). Granted, I'm pretty sure MM never gets offered if he were a c/o 25 recruit.

8 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

There are no others buddy lol those 4 guys are our only interior DL takes the for the 22 and 23 classes. You think people were happy with landing 2 mid 4*, 1 borderline 4* and a 3* over 2 classes? Maybe you weren’t paying attention but it’s been heavily discussed here the last 12+ months. 

Yep, this. We've lamented the fact that Davis hasn't generally brought in high four-star or five-star players. We've also been generally happy with his development at the position. Recruiting has always been his issue at Texas. 

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Nah. People have pretty consistently complained about his recruiting, as evidenced by the fact that we've taken 2 portal DTs and DT is still considered a need position. No one's saying we're happy he left, but his recruiting was a weak point at Texas with top-level NIL. Now if he's at LSU with no NIL and a HC who's one of the worst recruiting HCs in the country, it could be a real problem for LSU moving forward. 

Not even sure Bo will be able to make this work 

Screenshot_20240508_115227_Chrome.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

My 10,000 foot assessment is that Bo is a very good coach, but is not very friendly and probably grumpy because he wears sweatshirts in Texas in August. Kids are fragile because of the way parenting has changed since the early 80s.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Not even sure Bo will be able to make this work 

Screenshot_20240508_115227_Chrome.jpg

We're overlooking maybe he doesn't care that much. Maybe he got his kid into their dream college, he gets to coach him, and he gets to get paid 1.5 mill for 3-4 years and ride off into the sunset. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yes, I agree.

2 hours ago, bEastTexas said:

Here are a few gems from the 2023 thread just from using our shitty search function for less than 5 minutes:

Hookem2147: Kris Ross, Bledsoe, Bryant and Swanson underwhelmed you? You must have your expectations set high.

Hiphopopotamos: I'm ok with Bo Davis recruiting whoever he wants from wherever he wants.

Duane Moore: if there’s one coach on the staff I trust to evaluate prospects at their position it’s Bo Davis.

Hornius Emeritus: Brennen Marrion is about to become the Bo Davis of Wide Receivers. I really think that Sark his a home run on this hire

Hookem2147: I don’t worry about DL recruiting with Bo Davis.

Burt Macklin: Yikes, man. Those are some terrible conclusions you made. Don’t put any stock in that list, especially if it leads you to conclude Davis didn’t recruit well. 

Burt Macklin: Davis did well at edge in the 2022 class and I’m sure he’ll figure it out in 23.

Closetojumping: I do know that Bo Davis gets his men though, and often surprises along the way.

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Imagine being excited to land a former 3* recruit who missed most of his senior season in HS due to injury, and racked up 0 stats in 2 years of college.  

Oof

And is from the offensive powerhouse of Iowa.

2 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Yep, this. We've lamented the fact that Davis hasn't generally brought in high four-star or five-star players. We've also been generally happy with his development at the position. Recruiting has always been his issue at Texas. 

All of this is also coinciding with Aggie buying up the market for two or three seasons preceding lawful NIL.  We were at a pretty big disadvantage at DT, specifically, with Georgia, Bama, and LSU also willing to pay under the table when needed.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Here's what I remember from the classes

2022: Bledsoe, Ross, Bryant, Swanson

- Amidst 5-7, we had bigger issues to worry about than recruiting, but it was a good class overall. DE was the bigger issue because we still had DT talent on campus. Bledsoe and Ross were good developmental takes, Bryant set a good floor, Swanson was questionable. A-

2023: Mitchell

- Mitchell was a good get, but we needed more than one. Bo caught a lot of criticism for missing on DJ Hicks and guys like Markis Deal. It wasn't a great DT class but everyone knew the class was too small. C+

2024: Hills, January, Robinson

- We knew coming into the year that we needed a big class and it had to have a couple studs. January and Hills are fine, but we had advantages in those recruitments. Robinson was great, but we needed another stud to pair with him. Bo caught a LOT of of flack for missing on McKinley, Jonah-Ajonye, Jackson, Smith, Blocton, Faga, Hibbler, and Lindsey. A bunch of those weren't even his fault, but we all knew the class wasn't good enough after only taking one in '23. C+

Point is, the consensus was definitely not that Bo was knocking it out of the park with underrated gems. Yes, people said he had good evals, but also that DT was the worst-recruited position on the roster. There's also been discussion about the changing recruiting landscape. A lot of the misses were NIL choices/whiffs. Even this portal cycle there has been talk about how resources were reallocated towards DT. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Yes, I agree.

Here are a few gems from the 2023 thread just from using our shitty search function for less than 5 minutes:

Lulz. You went back almost 3 years to find posts to try to prove your point.  

New shit has come to light.

Davis did good in 2022 with Bledsoe, Bryant, Ross, and Swanson. Since then, he’s only landed 3 DTs, none of which were consensus 4 stars. And the only DT he landed in 2023 didn’t get developed under his watch, so his second full class was a complete miss. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

It’s been pretty fun to watch this board do a complete 180 on Bo Davis in the span of a few months. College football fandom at its finest. 

3 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

38 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Yes, I agree.

"few months" -> "12 months" -> 2 years ago

If you're going to keep arguing on this, would you mind providing a consistent opinion? Bo came in with a great reputation as a recruiter (deservedly so) and people were happy with the '22 class. In the last 12/few/whatever time frame you want to set, the consensus changed as we signed bad classes. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Here's what I remember from the classes

2022: Bledsoe, Ross, Bryant, Swanson

- Amidst 5-7, we had bigger issues to worry about than recruiting, but it was a good class overall. DE was the bigger issue because we still had DT talent on campus. Bledsoe and Ross were good developmental takes, Bryant set a good floor, Swanson was questionable. A-

2023: Mitchell

- Mitchell was a good get, but we needed more than one. Bo caught a lot of criticism for missing on DJ Hicks and guys like Markis Deal. It wasn't a great DT class but everyone knew the class was too small. C+

2024: Hills, January, Robinson

- We knew coming into the year that we needed a big class and it had to have a couple studs. January and Hills are fine, but we had advantages in those recruitments. Robinson was great, but we needed another stud to pair with him. Bo caught a LOT of of flack for missing on McKinley, Jonah-Ajonye, Jackson, Smith, Blocton, Faga, Hibbler, and Lindsey. A bunch of those weren't even his fault, but we all knew the class wasn't good enough after only taking one in '23. C+

Point is, the consensus was definitely not that Bo was knocking it out of the park with underrated gems. Yes, people said he had good evals, but also that DT was the worst-recruited position on the roster. There's also been discussion about the changing recruiting landscape. A lot of the misses were NIL choices/whiffs. Even this portal cycle there has been talk about how resources were reallocated towards DT. 

This is a good recap.  You can kind of see the strategy of taking developmental candidates against the most polished/expensive guys that A&M coveted.  You can argue that the developmental takes could have been better but it also might too early to pass judgement.  

I think if you get one more DT in 2022 and Bo doesn’t leave for LSU (and therefore we retain Robinson) we’d probably be back to bitching about Gideon. 

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lulz. You went back almost 3 years to find posts to try to prove your point.  

New shit has come to light.

Davis did good in 2022 with Bledsoe, Bryant, Ross, and Swanson. Since then, he’s only landed 3 DTs, none of which were consensus 4 stars. And the only DT he landed in 2023 didn’t get developed under his watch, so his second full class was a complete miss. 

Well those posts from you were less than 2 years ago, but sure. And I disagree that he did well in 2022. 

6 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

"few months" -> "12 months" -> 2 years ago

If you're going to keep arguing on this, would you mind providing a consistent opinion? Bo came in with a great reputation as a recruiter (deservedly so) and people were happy with the '22 class. In the last 12/few/whatever time frame you want to set, the consensus changed as we signed bad classes. 

Sure, if you want some 2024 quotes in 2 minutes, happy to help. But I do agree that the recruiting group think started to fade a bit after the 2024 class began to take shape. By then the group had reframed the narrative to him not needing 5 stars because he was such a great developer of talent (which to be fair to the group, maybe true). 

Closetojumping: Multiple posters on the 2023 thread were mocking Choate the same way you idiots are now bagging on Davis

SyndeyCarton: Davis has landed some top ranked talent, including the recruits I listed. Sydir Mitchell’s offer list was A+ and we beat Georgia for him straight up. 

texifornia: These highly rated recruits with lots of commitable offers haven't flashed by sophomore year. The problem is clearly the recruiting. Come on guys, we should be better at identifying issues like this at this point.

SydneyCarton: Sydir Mitchell literally we beat every program in the country for…Jmond Tapp was a stud. The other guys Ive mentioned are highly thought of kids. We’re loading up on big bodies this year in the interior.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

We're overlooking maybe he doesn't care that much. Maybe he got his kid into their dream college, he gets to coach him, and he gets to get paid 1.5 mill for 3-4 years and ride off into the sunset. 

Why would the lsu coaches asks to be paid a lot of money like that, and then say they won’t pay their players?  It’s almost like it’s non-sensical. 

3 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Well those posts from you were less than 2 years ago, but sure. And I disagree that he did well in 2022. 

Sure, if you want some 2024 quotes in 2 minutes, happy to help. But I do agree that the recruiting group think started to fade a bit after the 2024 class began to take shape. By then the group had reframed the narrative to him not needing 5 stars because he was such a great developer of talent (which to be fair to the group, maybe true). 

You've quoted two of my posts there...is there anything factually inaccurate about what either of those posts said? Sydir Mitchell and Tapp were excellent signees. It's pretty hard for me to decode whether you're trying to twist my posts without timestamps or links to the actual posts for context. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

23 months ago and 2 full signing classes ago, so super relevant to the current opinion of how he recruited at Texas. 

This is a weird hill to die on. I haven’t seen a single person say they’re glad Bo left. Only people pointing out that he wasn’t recruiting great by the end at Texas and that trend is continuing at broke ass LSU with him whiffing on getting even a single DT transfer when their DT depth chart is a nightmare. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Rockwell Torrey said:

FIFY

“We can’t afford to enter the market of buying players. We miss the days of small bags of cash under the table, some boudin links, and a handful of nutria rat pelts.”

FIFY

31 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I haven’t seen a single person say they’re glad Bo left. Only people pointing out that he wasn’t recruiting great by the end at Texas and that trend is continuing at broke ass LSU with him whiffing on getting even a single DT transfer when their DT depth chart is a nightmare. 

It sounds like you are saying that you are glad he left. Maybe it was time to bring in some new blood.

Anecdotal, but I know two people from Texas that went to Oregon for college on what felt like to me, a lark. It sounds like it’s pretty breathtaking up there in terms of the natural beauty and they both said how “different” it feels up there. Combine that with how strong Oregons brand is and they just seem to have a great pitch for young people that are really looking for a change of scenery.

Both came back to finish college in Texas. One after a year, the other after two. I’m not saying anything one way or another about Bowens because I couldn’t know less about him or his situation. I do wonder though how many players need to leave their region to go experience something they’re looking for, and once they’ve scratched that itch, want to come home and actually get to work. 

• Hook 'Em 3

This can go off on a major tangent (and it literally has on this board, the merits/demerits of Eugene, Oregon & Oregon) but I went up there for a  few days several years ago and found it gloomy/foggy, claustrophobic and boring. But I’m sure if you pick the right weekend weather-wise, are wined and dined and treated like a king, it could seem like a paradise. The facilities are cool as hell and I assume they make a helluva pitch. So I can see why it could be appealing. But I can also see why the day-to-day might get old. 

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

Counterpoint. I live in Austin, and for 4-5 months a year it's fuck-your-momma, melt-your-face, kill-a-hobo-for-a-popsicle, fuck-this-fucking-bullshit hot.

You're not wrong.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

This can go off on a major tangent (and it literally has on this board, the merits/demerits of Eugene, Oregon & Oregon) but I went up there for a  few days several years ago and found it gloomy/foggy, claustrophobic and boring. But I’m sure if you pick the right weekend weather-wise, are wined and dined and treated like a king, it could seem like a paradise. The facilities are cool as hell and I assume they make a helluva pitch. So I can see why it could be appealing. But I can also see why the day-to-day might get old. 

Spring, Fall, and Summer in Portland (and its suburbs) almost make the winters worth it.

As a matter of fact, the above can be said for *many* places in the Pacific NW and the northern Midwest.  But, the winters fucking suck - you just have to survive.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - The Pedantic Circlejerk