Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

September is a month of contrasts. Pretty common to continue hitting high 90's or low 100's multiple times those first 2 weeks. I'm sure just about everyone can relate to spending Labor Day or the following weekend dove hunting or tailgating and being absolutely drenched in sweat. If this Summer keeps on it like it has, some of y'all probably gonna die at the Rice game this year. 

But then, usually, by the end of the month, we'll catch at least one perceptible cool front.

Historical Average temps for Austin and Houston.

9/1: 95/73 and 93/76.

9/15: 92/70 and 90/73.

9/30: 88/66 and 87/69.

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Still 3 weeks to go before we hit "peak summer." Kill me.

climate-normals-1536x1187.jpg

2nd week of August is historically when daily high temps start to sloooowly average down for most folks in Texas. But that's only like 1 degree every 10 days. Things don't really pick up much steam until mid to late September, when the average high starts dropping a degree roughly every 4 days.

So this map shows that DC's peak temps are basically now?

1 hour ago, YChang said:

Freaking hot in Manhattan this week. On the upside tons of hot chicks in tight fitting tops  everywhere. 

Hoping for summer temp relief when I’m in Denmark in August. 

Average high of 70F in August, according to this site: https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/country-comparison/month-august

• Drool 1

4 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Still 3 weeks to go before we hit "peak summer." Kill me.

climate-normals-1536x1187.jpg

2nd week of August is historically when daily high temps start to sloooowly average down for most folks in Texas. But that's only like 1 degree every 10 days. Things don't really pick up much steam until mid to late September, when the average high starts dropping a degree roughly every 4 days.

So summer temps peak in June for a good part of West Texas? Any geological or meteorological explanations for this would be appreciated.

12 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s like 73 degrees right now in Washington’s c with light humidity. Yes- it’s 6:30 in the morning and I’ve been walking since 5:30, but I’m dressed like this and there’s no time this ever wouldn’t be miserable as hell in houston. Today has been pleasant so far. Was out in slacks and button down yesterday and though warm and unpleasant it wasn’t melt my face make me question every life decision like Htown. It’s not even close for those arguing before. IMG_0614.thumb.jpeg.0752e54de1279cf6cab0d37d2c407651.jpeg

Aren't you the QB coach for South Alabama? What are you doing in Washington?

17 minutes ago, yoladu said:

So summer temps peak in June for a good part of West Texas? Any geological or meteorological explanations for this would be appreciated.

The only thing I can think of is the summer monsoon season coming after then, but that's just a wild guess.

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I associate monsoon with southeast Asia.  Why is it also called monsoon season here?

It just is. The English language just has an uncanny knack for borrowing words from other languages. Yes, you're correct that the term comes from the Indian subcontinent, but West Texas also occassionally has haboobs, a word that comes from Arabic.

More on monsoon season in West Texas:

https://www.marfapublicradio.org/show/nature-notes/2018-06-21/complex-forces-shape-west-texas-summer-monsoon

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, bolverk said:

The only thing I can think of is the summer monsoon season coming after then, but that's just a wild guess.

That's a good guess and one I subscribe to. I'm out here in El Paso and it's 110°, no rain yet, but the monsoon season seems to be slowly starting, next week the temps dip down to the low 100s. 

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

It just is. The English language just has an uncanny knack for borrowing words from other languages. Yes, you're correct that the term comes from the Indian subcontinent, but West Texas also occassionally has haboobs, a word that comes from Arabic.

More on monsoon season in West Texas:

https://www.marfapublicradio.org/show/nature-notes/2018-06-21/complex-forces-shape-west-texas-summer-monsoon

Was "haboobs" that term that got all the West Texas bigots all pissy a few years ago because we were using "Muslim Words" to describe weather phenomenon?  Though they paid no attention to the use of Al Gebra mathematics to solve for some of variables in predicting haboob patterns, using Arabic digits.  Man we're fucking dumb in this state. 

4 hours ago, yoladu said:

When it comes to geography and maps like these, I tend to look at it and say, "that makes total sense for this or that reason."  Not this one.  I'm perplexed.  I'm not questioning the validity, but I can't draw any conclusion as to why certain areas are the way they are.  West Texas peaks the earliest of any part of the US.  Including Alaska and the highest mountains in North America.  Then there's that little spot in Illinois and Indiana.  Can't figure that out at all.  

I'm guessing it's some blend of latitude, altitude, coastal proximity, prevailing winds, typical precipitation and land heat retention.  Mix all that shit up to get the answer.  

28 minutes ago, texhorn said:

Georgetown extended stage 3 restrictions until September 4th. Fuck.

Only for West gtown.  Back to stage 2 for east and around the highway. 

which is odd because it seems like that’s the area that the irrigation water would run back into the river or lake, minimizing loss. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

1 hour ago, Texas Jeff said:

Does Zoysia come in a Char-Broil brand because it seems like it should...

Whatcha planting there Bob?  Oh, it's the new Char-Broil Zoysia.  Pre-scorched and permanently brown for grassy softness year round.

i am no landscape architect, but i imagine the species of plants and grasses that can thrive under 4 months of extreme heat and drought AND 96 to 120 hours of continual  temperature below freezing is increasing rare to find.

5 minutes ago, yoladu said:

i am no landscape architect, but i imagine the species of plants and grasses that can thrive under 4 months of extreme heat and drought AND 96 to 120 hours of continual  temperature below freezing is increasing rare to find.

Embrace it. Turn your entire lawn into an agave farm, turn your garage into a distillery. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Embrace it. Turn your entire lawn into an agave farm, turn your garage into a distillery. 

I like how you think. 

I keep the front lawn alive, the back the pups have turned into race tracks. Water the trees every 10 days or so. 

Would love to rip all the grass out, plant pretty raised beds and grow a bunch of food. 

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I like how you think. 

I keep the front lawn alive, the back the pups have turned into race tracks. Water the trees every 10 days or so. 

Would love to rip all the grass out, plant pretty raised beds and grow a bunch of food. 

My house has no HOA so maybe I could do that.  Must be a way to use the change to allow irrigation as needed even if it’s not a commercial crop. 

would need to build a deer fence around the entire property. 

I’ll be selling soon enough anyway. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

My house has no HOA so maybe I could do that.  Must be a way to use the change to allow irrigation as needed even if it’s not a commercial crop. 

would need to build a deer fence around the entire property. 

I’ll be selling soon enough anyway. 

3x6 raised beds with small fences around them. I just have dogs though. 

Damn birds get my berries all the time so have to build cages for them. 

Old place had a massive garden, 70x40, and loved my mornings there. 

15 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

September is a month of contrasts. Pretty common to continue hitting high 90's or low 100's multiple times those first 2 weeks. I'm sure just about everyone can relate to spending Labor Day or the following weekend dove hunting or tailgating and being absolutely drenched in sweat. If this Summer keeps on it like it has, some of y'all probably gonna die at the Rice game this year. 

But then, usually, by the end of the month, we'll catch at least one perceptible cool front.

Historical Average temps for Austin and Houston.

9/1: 95/73 and 93/76.

9/15: 92/70 and 90/73.

9/30: 88/66 and 87/69.

I would kill you with my bare hands to have a high of 93.

• Hook 'Em 1

Was "haboobs" that term that got all the West Texas bigots all pissy a few years ago because we were using "Muslim Words" to describe weather phenomenon?  Though they paid no attention to the use of Al Gebra mathematics to solve for some of variables in predicting haboob patterns, using Arabic digits.  Man we're fucking dumb in this state. 

Ban sharia math!

106 predicted for today along with 20+mph winds.  Maybe not blastfurnace, but definitely convection oven.  

It'll be our hottest day of the year if we hit it.  86 predicted for Friday... bring it!!!

10 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Haboobs is a great word.  If you use it in regular conversation, it makes the uninitiated think you asked, "Did you see her tits?"  and you get the subsequent "Did he really just say that?" expression.

"Did you see the haboob yesterday?"

Haboobs not sponsored by local chambers of commerce.  LOLz  

4 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Spencer who is the “Senior Forecaster” for the Nexstar station, announced his semi-retirement from the station back in 2021.

Looks like he'll be upgrading to full retirement. 

8 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Fuck it until this shit breaks I'm doing like they do in the Saud. Just got one of these  delivered and it's bliss.

81EFcEdeSkS._AC_UY879_.jpg

oh please. Wearing a full body dress doesn't make your body cooler than a t-shirt and shorts. Saudis wear that shit for religious reasons, otherwise you'd see everyone there in shorts and t-shirts.

So that thing where people post cooler temps elsewhere on here and people get upset?  I get to do that to my wife every day now. 
yesterday I call her on my drive home and she asks what the ambient noise is. I say it’s traffic because I have my windows down. I get YOU DO NOT!! with a tone that clearly implied the actual message conveyed was OH FUCK YOU.   
I need to be careful but it’s really fun to be on this side of. 

• Hook 'Em 1

200.gif

I’m out of here in 3-4 years. This is miserable. 

Last kid graduates in 2 years. That’s gonna be all for us. Just can’t take not being able to live life for 4-5 months out of the year. Always be a Texan at heart but we are gone when his ass walks across that stage.