Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

We've put north central California on the list.  Maybe somewhere within 30 minutes of Sacramento.  I've been there, it's not exactly a hotbed of culture and activity, but it's two hours either direction to SF/Napa and Lake Tahoe, which seems pretty compelling.  Weather is good, reasonably hot in the summer, not too cold in the winter.  Should be all kinds of good produce in the area.  Moderately low earthquake risk.
Any thoughts on how stupid this is?

Reno is far better taxwise.

It's a damn inferno out here. I know we had those crazy heat index days but this may be the worst day so far straight temp wise. 

This is the worst summer ever. It fucking has to be. There's no way it won't wind up being worse than 2011. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Lol, it's White Linen Night in the Heights. The most absurdly scheduled event in all of Houston. Even worse than when Free Press Summer Fest used to be down on the Bayou in July.

It's currently 99 with a Heat Index of 111 and thousands of people are walking up and down the blocks in their linen shirts and dresses, dragging coolers and pushing around strollers and whatnot, getting blasted by the heat radiating off the blacktop parking lots.

I'd rather try and eat a live grenade. 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

They've spent all summer inside playing video games, and they're about to put helmets and pads on and run around in this heat, many times with some old coach that still thinks thirst is a sign of weakness

Take a salt tablet, kid. 

37 minutes ago, 3adays said:

100 acre 0% contained Oak Grove fire outside San Marcos. I took this picture from the new H‑E‑B on Nutty Brown Rd.

image.thumb.jpeg.4095a9c1eb213f62552aa00cfea242bd.jpeg

I knew I shouldn't have given that sugar baby my mix tape. 

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

Lol, it's White Linen Night in the Heights. The most absurdly scheduled event in all of Houston. Even worse than when Free Press Summer Fest used to be down on the Bayou in July.

It's currently 99 with a Heat Index of 111 and thousands of people are walking up and down the blocks in their linen shirts and dresses, dragging coolers and pushing around strollers and whatnot, getting blasted by the heat radiating off the blacktop parking lots.

I'd rather try and eat a live grenade. 

Drove by a bunch of those idiots 

Yeah they’re skimming water off Canyon Lake to refill. This is about 10 miles or less from my house so we’re stressing.

UPDATE 8:51 pm:
Estimated 300 acres, 10% containment. Fire has laid down. Forward progression has been stopped. Marble Falls IA group on scene, all dozers engaged on the right flank. Hand crew continues to construct hand line on the left flank. Engine crews continuing structure protection.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 4th_and_18 said:

300 acres now. The tankers keep flying over us in wimberley. Maybe going to canyon lake to refill?

Yup.  Got this footage from just over my house this evening…

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 3

Be safe out there folks. Went through both Bastrop Fires and man, that is not fun. 

To those talking about saving water, interesting take. Prefer your house and neighborhood burn down? 

There are a lot of ways we can talk about water conservation, but when it comes to wild fires, nah.... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, txduck87 said:

This is us as well. Two more years til the last kid graduates from high school and we headed to western North Carolina. Been here since 1977 but I’m done not living life 5 months out of the year.

See you fuckers in Asheville!

Also, I'm fucking tired of my tap water being 85 degrees.  And my upstairs AC not cooling off til 2am.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

We've put north central California on the list.  Maybe somewhere within 30 minutes of Sacramento.  I've been there, it's not exactly a hotbed of culture and activity, but it's two hours either direction to SF/Napa and Lake Tahoe, which seems pretty compelling.  Weather is good, reasonably hot in the summer, not too cold in the winter.  Should be all kinds of good produce in the area.  Moderately low earthquake risk.

Your political leanings will be...tested.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Moreso than in Austin for sure.  But touche.

Well, Sacramento County went 61/36 for (D) over (R) in the last election, so I don't think we'd be too uncomfortable near a left-leaning state capital.  I get that as one moves out towards smaller rural towns things tend to swing red, that's true of most places.  I grew up in rural Missouri, I think I can handle it.  My wife?  Not so much, but she can't stand being too far from friends and retail, so we'd probably try to strike a balance there.

Edited by jimmyjazz

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, Sacramento County went 61/36 for (D) over (R) in the last election, so I don't think we'd be too uncomfortable near a left-leaning state capital.  I get that as one moves out towards smaller rural towns things tend to swing red, that's true of most places.  I grew up in rural Missouri, I think I can handle it.  My wife?  Not so much, but she can't stand being too far from friends and retail, so we'd probably try to strike a balance there.

All in alls there are some nice folks there.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Nice video. Wonder why the boaters were still on the water. 

Yeah, that seemed a little dicey.  "So you're gonna need to land on the lake, fill up with water, dodge a bunch of drunk boaters, and then take back off to circle around to the fire."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Smoke plume is growing, heading south. Having Bastrop PTSD. My FIL lives about 2 miles from it. 

Was out there last week. Place is a tinderbox. Cedar everywhere and undergrowth from the early rains this year. 

Now 400 acres, 20% contained, one home burned, a few dozen evacuated.  Furk.

• Hook 'Em 1

So according to my Dad he talked to a guy who works for the energy department out of Austin who they talked to in person last week that lives in my hometown and commutes to Austin said...  In  the last year they shifted the temperature of the earth readings from 6ft above the ground to 2 feet above...  So that’s why readings are so high..  This is supposedly the guy who had a hand in deciding who had power and who didn’t during the big freeze and one of the smartest people they know.  I understand how none of this makes sense also.  Lol.   So even though temperatures are breaking records the soil temperature is not right because they lowered the reading level…. I just nod and don’t argue anymore because my dad is about to be 80 and his wife is a Fox News nut job who hasn’t worked in 20 plus years but is the loudest far right person I know, there’s no changing their opinion on anything. 

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Nice video. Wonder why the boaters were still on the water. 

The water heroes were out with their PAs blaring clearing the middle of the lake. Those planes had a giant lane of water to work with and the boaters got a helluva show from the front row.

Personally I’d have liked to have seen a few SeaDoo roaches get scooped up and dropped off in San Marcos.

Edited by Cajun
Keep in mind, there are only 3 ramps open for all of Canyon Lake at the moment. No way they’re getting everyone off the lake quickly. Barely any docks either. Army Corps of Engineers HOLLA!
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 7:59 AM, Armybrat said:

September 2nd at DKRTMS is going to be interesting.

But we are skipping it.

Yeah. You'd think we'd see some relief by then but who the hell knows. Even if it "cools" down 8-10 degrees by then we're still looking at the upper 90s which is probably going to be the case.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/2/2023 at 12:02 PM, closetohumping said:

WTF won't let me remove the quote.

Smoke last night in SW Austin made the sky red.  Very weird.  Looks fine this morning and I didn't see the big plume of smoke so hopefully the Oak Grove fire is under control.

8 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

In  the last year they shifted the temperature of the earth readings from 6ft above the ground to 2 feet above...  So that’s why readings are so high.

I install those sensors in my little section of the world, and am responsible for the metadata for the siting of those sensors and the information they provide. I can assure you that is not true. (For the record, I know you didn't believe it.)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Grass Valley/Nevada City a pretty area last time I was there.  Yuba river quite the neat area to explore.   This probably  doesn't help you much in your decision.  All CR talk aside, California is expensive.  It just is.   But sure, the Sierra Nevada foothills have four seasons.  Parts of it got bombed pretty bad with snow this last winter though from my understanding.  Like not getting out of your neighborhood snow.

Been chilling at my sister's place in Mass for the last 10 days. Went for a hike at noon today, and now lounging on her shaded porch napping with a cool breeze. Just reinforces how fucking much I hate TX in the summer. I'll be acclimated to 70s/80s and back to the shitshow mid week. I should just stay here through October.