Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

this is gonna sound weird, but can I some sleep at your house until ACL weekend two?  I can't imagine how glorious sleeping at 71 degrees would be this time of year. I mean, I can imagine.  But the image/imagination parts involve a lot of screaming by my wife and a lot of money I don't have.  

35 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

UT should tell the goddamn TV people to shove that time slot up their clueless asses.

Man, those mid-day openers have sucked for years.  I remember the opener in 1992 (I think it was 92)....mid-day kickoff.  Girlfriend and I had been drinking all morning with friends, cuz that's what we did when we were young.  Field was still turf.  Our seats were low, on the east side.  Staring into the sun.  115 degree temp on the field.  After the game (now later afternoon), we're talking with friends about meeting at the Black Cat at 10:00 to party some more.  We stumble back to my dinky (but air conditioned) apartment.  We drink lots of water.  We pitch face forward onto the bed, fully clothed, shoes still on.  I come to at around 11:00, look at the clock, elbow the girlfriend and say "we ain't making it to the Black Cat."  She takes off her shoes, and goes back to sleep.  We were young, and in good shape, and we were freaking wiped out for the entire day.

If I go to the Rice game at all, it's going to be with a friend who has access to one of the fancy club options with AC.  We can watch the first quarter in the stadium, then back to the AC.

• Hook 'Em 1

My son & DIL sit in the seats 2 rows right below the North End Zone  Touchdown Club.
They spend most of their time in the bar during hot weather. 
Our seats are in Section 1 row 69, so we are always in the shade, but have been leaving at halftime because we cannot deal with the huge mob postgame. 

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

this is gonna sound weird, but can I some sleep at your house until ACL weekend two?  I can't imagine how glorious sleeping at 71 degrees would be this time of year. I mean, I can imagine.  But the image/imagination parts involve a lot of screaming by my wife and a lot of money I don't have.  

Sorry, I’m allergic to house guests.

But I did enough years sleeping in the Texas heat without any A/C. 
So fight me. 
Mrs. Brat probably wishes she could still sleep year round again on that upstairs screen porch in Taylor like she did until she was 18.

36541499-461A-4B2F-9C48-5A7DC85CA2C9.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

The pool at RRHS was shockingly still somewhat refreshing this weekend. If I didn't have vacation to look forward to next week, I would be losing my mind. Pretty sure I've never spent so much time cooped up in my house. I was an "essential worker" at the time, but don't know how those of you locked down during Covid did it.

Looks to me like Big Stacy never closes, unlike HEB:

Open      Bartholomew                512-974-1650    1800 E 51st St

Open      Barton Springs             512-867-3080    2131 William Barton Dr

Open      Big Stacy                      512-445-0304    700 E Live Oak St

Open      Deep Eddy                   512-472-8546    401 Deep Eddy Ave

Open      Springwoods                512-258-8082    13320 Lyndhurst St

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, hookemATL said:

For the life of me, I will never understand  why the opener is not a night game each year. Seems like it should be a given. 

It's going to be horrible.. people get stretchered out from section every year in September.

On 8/4/2023 at 8:45 AM, Armybrat said:

Not to mention these guys working downtown on a high rise in Rainey Street… (from the Austin Skyscraper forum).

B033210B-E19D-4FBB-B252-D998198C8D37.jpeg

You haven't lived until you've had to shit in one of these shit saunas after they've been in the direct sun all day. IMG_20230808_111430935_HDR.thumb.jpg.8feaa6d3fc8d7803d638990ecd9c9398.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

5 hours ago, texasdago said:

So, the Ramsey pool is kickass because they manage to keep that water feeling cold and refreshing.  Its not a big pool but sits right in Ramsey Park in Rosedale.  Very chill during the week BUT I think its one of the pools closing after this weekend.  I've walked past Shipe in Hyde Park.  Pool looks smaller and with no deep end but it does have a lap pool.  It looks very nice and you are walking distance from the restaurants in Hyde Park.  Its supposed to stay open through September but I hear the water is warmer.    If you have a chance this week, check out Ramsey.  It's a little old school gem.  Fair warning - pool is closed on Thursdays.  

Have not been to Mabel Davis but heard its nice and its next to a skate park.  

Ramsey is great, and they have working aerators which cool it over night.  It does close this coming Sunday, which really fucking sucks because it's larger than Shipe, but Shipe was recently refurbished/rebuilt, and the city is going to prioritize that over the older pools.

Ramsey also has a great park for the kids to dry off afterward.

Edited by atomheartbevo

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

Honestly as much as I love this little old school pool and I like the nostalgia of swimming here, it is getting run down and needs a refresh.  That said, it still has some of the most magical pool water in austin. Maybe it's low on urine.  

PXL_20230808_174446507.jpg

See that box thing with the green hose on the far right of your photo?  That's the aerator they use at night to cool it.  The neighborhood chipped in money to buy it several years back.  The green tube goes in the water when the pool closes and pulls water out and then sprays it through a few nozzles back into the pool at night, and the water is cooled by being sprayed through the air. 

Okay, it's magic.

The city has been asked for some kind of awning/shade over at least the shallow end of the pool for years, because I think back around 2011, there were several large trees that lined the fences that were lost, and it killed the earlier and late afternoon shade, but the city's response is that if they do it for one pool, they have to do it for others, even though others have the awnings (they were "built with it in place").

5 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Fuck. The long-range GFS model that was showing something next Tues/Wed for a pattern change then pushed it off until the weekend... and now it's not even there. Showing 102+ until at least the end of August.

Fuck this shit. Holy fuck it fucking sucks.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/08/world/july-climate-record-paris-agreement/index.html

The world got its first preview last month of what summer will be like at 1.5 degrees of global warming — a threshold that scientists warn the planet should stay under, yet one that it has flown increasingly close to in recent years.

The average global temperature in July, the hottest month on record by far, was around 1.5 degrees Celsius warmer than the pre-industrial era that ended in the mid-to-late 1800s, the European Union’s Copernicus Climate Change Service reported Tuesday.

The announcement came after a series of deadly heat waves and remarkable record-breaking temperatures for several continents, as well as unprecedented ocean heat around the globe. Copernicus scientists say it’s the first summer month that has surpassed 1.5 degrees, offering a glimpse of future summers.

The 1.5-degree threshold is significant because scientists consider it a key tipping point for the planet, beyond which the chances of extreme heat, flooding, drought, wildfires and food and water shortages will become even more unfavorable for life as we know it.

It’s the goal that scientists chose in the landmark 2015 Paris Agreement to minimize the damage of the climate crisis while affording time to wean society and the economy off planet-warming fossil fuels.

It’s also not something that’s tracked by the day or month. Scientists are particularly concerned that global temperature will stay above 1.5 degrees for the long term. Through 2022, the world had warmed around 1.2 degrees.

“While breaking the 1.5-degrees-Celsius threshold for a day or a week or a month is not the same as breaking it for the long-term average, it is important to monitor how frequently, and for how long, we exceed this threshold,” Rebecca Emerton, scientist with Copernicus, told CNN. “As temperatures continue to rise, the effects will continue to become more serious.”

Nineteen out of the 30 hottest months on record globally occured in the last eight years, when global warming surpassed 1°C (1.8°F) above pre-industrial levels each time. This July, global average temperature averaged 16.95°C (62.5°F) — nearly a third of a degree Celsius higher than July 2019, the previous record.

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

20 hours ago, Pods said:

Earth has also had multiple ages with no ice. It's not an end point we want to fuck around with.

Drive any direction from Austin and all you're going to see geologically is limestone and dolomite from the Cretaceous when the entirety of Texas was underwater. 

image.png.003046f52f80d1c5ec495322ccba966e.png

Even if we aren't the only cause of the Earth getting hotter, we would be wise to get our portion of the warming as close to zero as possible. 

We won't do anything about it though and the consequences are going to fall mostly on the states that prevent us from doing anything. 

How in the hell did you get Cuba, KS on your map??  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The city has been asked for some kind of awning/shade over at least the shallow end of the pool for years, because I think back around 2011, there were several large trees that lined the fences that were lost, and it killed the earlier and late afternoon shade, but the city's response is that if they do it for one pool, they have to do it for others, even though others have the awnings (they were "built with it in place").

image.thumb.jpeg.1a15d0b97d2bd3e8f575aba892fddb0e.jpegGovalle, imo.

• Rage+1 1

Speaking of hot women at Austin public pools.  PSA for you gents since they're only open for another week.  Westenfield Pool.  I'm guessing she's the daughter of some MILF of Tarrytown...we're not well enough off to live that area, but we use that pool for swim lessons.  But she's a lifeguard and she talks about college with the other coaches so at least she's of age.  And don't pretend you don't have google or know who this is off-hand, but this woman looks just like Emma Hix, the adult actress/post implants.  I mean she could put the baywatch cast to shame in her red lifeguard suit.  not like you look around and think, "Welp, I guess she's the most attractive woman here given all the older moms and grandmas doing aquatic aerobics."  I mean, knockout, 10 outta 10, could be an actress instead of skimming public pools.  If you have the chance this week, go by this pool.  She's the tall blonde who literally is Emma Hix-level hot with a body that could stop a train.   /csb

Also folks, remember this time of year to stay properly hydrated.  

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Ramsey is great, and they have working aerators which cool it over night.  It does close this coming Sunday, which really fucking sucks because it's larger than Shipe, but Shipe was recently refurbished/rebuilt, and the city is going to prioritize that over the older pools.

Ramsey also has a great park for the kids to dry off afterward.

Fond memories of swimming with my kids at Ramsey. Now they are older and don't want to hang at the pool with dear 'ole dad.

5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Speaking of hot women at Austin public pools.  PSA for you gents since they're only open for another week.  Westenfield Pool.  I'm guessing she's the daughter of some MILF of Tarrytown...we're not well enough off to live that area, but we use that pool for swim lessons.  But she's a lifeguard and she talks about college with the other coaches so at least she's of age.  And don't pretend you don't have google or know who this is off-hand, but this woman looks just like Emma Hix, the adult actress/post implants.  I mean she could put the baywatch cast to shame in her red lifeguard suit.  not like you look around and think, "Welp, I guess she's the most attractive woman here given all the older moms and grandmas doing aquatic aerobics."  I mean, knockout, 10 outta 10, could be an actress instead of skimming public pools.  If you have the chance this week, go by this pool.  She's the tall blonde who literally is Emma Hix-level hot with a body that could stop a train.   /csb

Also folks, remember this time of year to stay properly hydrated.  

The awkward moment was when "Squints" YGIFS faked drowning to kiss said Emma Hix doppleganger lifeguard....

7456148b0ec152021df753bfa49715d5.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I thought about it, to be quite honest.  I also didn't consciously do it but was practicing treading with my daughter before class started.  And looked up and realized emma doppelganger lifeguard in the the tall chair?  Yeah, she doesn't miss a single hair whilst shaving.  She must be super fast in the water.  

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

See that box thing with the green hose on the far right of your photo?  That's the aerator they use at night to cool it.  The neighborhood chipped in money to buy it several years back.  The green tube goes in the water when the pool closes and pulls water out and then sprays it through a few nozzles back into the pool at night, and the water is cooled by being sprayed through the air. 

Okay, it's magic.

I've walked past the pool early in the day and seen them running it.  It works really well.  Didn't realize Rosedale bought it.  Exceptional investment.  Big ROI.

We also belong to Lifetime in South Austin and their pool stays pretty refreshing.  Plus it has a beach club feel.

2 hours ago, MontereyMXmuthafucka said:
5 hours ago, Paco said:

You haven't lived until you've had to shit in one of these shit saunas after they've been in the direct sun all day. IMG_20230808_111430935_HDR.thumb.jpg.8feaa6d3fc8d7803d638990ecd9c9398.jpgever try one of those in Falluja? 

Dust storm in 29 stumps is the best I can do. But I will say, the cocktail shaker action on those ☝️ when the crane flies 'em up 30 floors adds a new twist.

7 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

The pool at RRHS was shockingly still somewhat refreshing this weekend. If I didn't have vacation to look forward to next week, I would be losing my mind. Pretty sure I've never spent so much time cooped up in my house. I was an "essential worker" at the time, but don't know how those of you locked down during Covid did it.

They took away parks and outdoor space too, it was INSANE.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paco said:

You haven't lived until you've had to shit in one of these shit saunas after they've been in the direct sun all day. IMG_20230808_111430935_HDR.thumb.jpg.8feaa6d3fc8d7803d638990ecd9c9398.jpg

Yea I don’t miss helping my uncle do some roofing one summer when he was here from Mexico. That shit was brutal and those things were hell on earth. I also felt like I got paid in schrute bucks while that mofo loved a king in Mexico after 3 months of work here. 

IMG_6518.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

I've walked past the pool early in the day and seen them running it.  It works really well.  Didn't realize Rosedale bought it.  Exceptional investment.  Big ROI.

We also belong to Lifetime in South Austin and their pool stays pretty refreshing.  Plus it has a beach club feel.

The one off William Cannon at MoPac?  i swear I called there during covid to see if they had a pool and they said no.  I mean, yeah I get turned away from appearing in public in my paper suit.  but I swear I chcked their site like 10 times over the years.

47 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

The one off William Cannon at MoPac?  i swear I called there during covid to see if they had a pool and they said no.  I mean, yeah I get turned away from appearing in public in my paper suit.  but I swear I chcked their site like 10 times over the years.

Big ass pool with beach entry, two slides, lap pool, snack car that sella alcoholic drinks and a very nice clientele

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Weather apps should just stop bothering with the excess heat warnings for the rest of the month.

Might as well just get sunrise notifications...

12 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Austin should be replacing and repairing their neighborhood pools as needed.  Westenfield Pool was redone around 2015 for something like $3 million, at about the same time as the city redid Bartholomew Pool for about $5.5 million .  Westenfield looks almost exactly like the pool in the picture that was posted.  Seems like chump change for a city that is spending $7 billion on a rail system.

In 2018, the city created a master plan to renovate pools and build 3-4 regional swim centers around town, with some capable of hosting swim meets.  The 154 page proposal, with hundreds of pages of appendices and comments, is here:

https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/Parks/Planning_and_Development/Austin_Aquatic_Master_Plan_Final_reduced_March_2018.pdf

It's sitting on the shelf, nothing is happening.  Seems like a reasonable investment to me.  Why the city creates these master plans and then does nothing with them is a mystery to me.

Edited by Texas Jeff
  • Hook 'Em 1

I had to poop exactly once during the decade I went to ROT…I rode all the way back to my house in Pflugerville vs trying to use a porta potty shared by hundreds of sweaty, beer-swilling middle aged weekend warriors.  

Also…have a feeling ACL is going to be brutal this year