Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

4 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

SCW did a post years ago compiling the last 125 or so years of Houston weather records and the average day on which we get our first real front (what they call "Fall Day", defined as a low temp of 65 or less) is September 18th.

Over that span, Fall Day has come as early as 8/30 and as late as 10/13. 

After this horseshit, I’m good with anything that has a high less than 95 degrees. 

ERCOT dashboard showing that estimated demand capacity will exceed estimated committed capacity around 8 PM. There will be excess capacity available, but if someone doesn’t remember to flip a switch or falls asleep at the control panel, we might finally see some demand-related blackouts. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Still got a long way to go for the overall record

image.png.5a698693a88530bb3d9ce068f9354344.png

i say we end up in 4th.. somewhere between 55 and 65

overall though, Ii think we are on track to be the hottest summer (june, july, august) ever in Austin -  even hotter overall than in 2011.

I feel like i have been hibernating all summer. i think the whole family is likely iron deficient.

Edited by yoladu

1 hour ago, gofuckyourself said:

Damn. 1925 being before widespread air conditioning AND in the middle of Prohibition had to have been a fucking bitch and a half. Not to mention that sumbitch Coolidge in the White House.

Right @Armybrat?

Here I am on the front porch of our Fort Sam Houston quarters - summer of 1946 or 47.
We had 100+ degree days then, but not months of it. 
No A/C either. President Truman probably had it though.

F585A8B0-8D2F-4C8A-AFB2-65E32D683795.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, yoladu said:

pretty good chance to make 2nd place for overall number of days over 100.

Possibly could overtake 2011. According to KXAN, we had 76 days over 100 by the end of August and the last 100 degree day was recorded September 29, with 14 days of 90 occurring in September. 

If this tropical thing doesn't deliver, we will likely be at 71 days at the end of August with no end in sight.

Possibly could overtake 2011. According to KXAN, we had 76 days over 100 by the end of August and the last 100 degree day was recorded September 29, with 14 days of 90 occurring in September. 
If this tropical thing doesn't deliver, we will likely be at 71 days at the end of August with no end in sight.

Don’t you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby.

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

For real, I have my AC at 74, a box fan running, one light on in the whole house, the TV, the fridge, and a few vampire power appliances going.  Meanwhile, every business in town isn't doing shit and every HEB is blasting their coolers and freezers.  I don't think I'm the problem.

Kid had a soccer game, took her to Costco after and parked her in the freezing fruit room while I grabbed a few things.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

For real, I have my AC at 74, a box fan running, one light on in the whole house, the TV, the fridge, and a few vampire power appliances going.  Meanwhile, every business in town isn't doing shit and every HEB is blasting their coolers and freezers.  I don't think I'm the problem.

I wish businesses set the A/C at 74 or higher. Going from 105+ to 65 degrees sucks as much as the heat.

Just now, Storm the Field said:

Quiet, fool! You'll summon one of the "Uhh, it's summer in Texas, it always get's hot" goblins.

It's hotter here right now than Phoenix or Las Vegas. WTF?

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Canadian buddy just called me from the walk in beer fridge at HEB. Asked if I needed anything. Said yeah, beer for the river tomorrow. His response is fine, but I am going to sit here for an hour or so. 

Call him back in February and ask if he's had a bear eat his dog yet?

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

There's still water in the river?

San Marcos. Yes, but not running like it usually does. We go to the headwater and swim down from there. Once you get lower flow really cuts down. Yeah, it's low, but if you know where to go you can find good places. 

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

74?! You can do better than that!  I'm at 79 and have zero lights on. It doesn't feel good.

giphy.gif

Edited by Paper_jam
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Fuck them. Crank your shit to 68. 

I let it go to 75 or 76 during the day, but it'll be 70 when I go to bed tonight.

Maybe accept the fact that 104 to 108 for two months straight is the CenTex we live in now, and plan accordingly, you incompetent fuckbags.

Edited by TexArcher

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

That doesn't apply to Austin Energy right?

Yeah, we've already established you're a masochist.

Depends on Austin Energy’s contracts, I guess. But anyone who buys power on spot pricing are getting the hard shaft, right now, similar to the Snowmageddon situation. 

1 hour ago, Eastwood said:

Depends on Austin Energy’s contracts, I guess. But anyone who buys power on spot pricing are getting the hard shaft, right now, similar to the Snowmageddon situation. 

To my limited knowledge, Austin Energy is on a tiered system with set pricing.  But I could be wrong.