Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

18 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Welp, got some good news and bad news in the latest forecasts.

DFW: 107 tomorrow, but 2 "nice' days on tap Tuesday and Wednesday with highs only in the mid-90's. Brutality resumes Thursday-Sunday. Slight improvement the week after, with highs ~102 or less. No sign of any rain at all though.

Austin: 106 tomorrow, but 2 better days Tuesday and Wednesday, though not quite as significant temp dropoff as DFW. ~105 again Thursday and Friday, before highs start edging down a few ticks Saturday and Sunday. Small but noticeable rain chances Monday-Wednesday. Highs 102 or less the week after next. 

Houston: 103 and muggy AF tomorrow. Highs still ~100 but significantly less humidity Tuesday and Wednesday. 102 and muggy AF Thursday and Friday. However, no projected triple digits after Friday. Solid rain chances 8/21-23. 

Less than 24 hours later, this is majorly outdated, and not in much of a good way. 

Edited by Storm the Field

So, when I turn on my bathroom faucet cold water tap, it flows cold water for a bit, using the water that was in the pipes inside the house.  But once we go through that water, and it starts running water that was in the pipes (underground, mind you) outside the house, it gets warmer.  Much warmer.  Measured it with my bbq thermometer yesterday -- my cold water is 89 fucking degrees.

Fuck this summer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So, when I turn on my bathroom faucet cold water tap, it flows cold water for a bit, using the water that was in the pipes inside the house.  But once we go through that water, and it starts running water that was in the pipes (underground, mind you) outside the house, it gets warmer.  Much warmer.  Measured it with my bbq thermometer yesterday -- my cold water is 89 fucking degrees.

Fuck this summer.

i basically don't even turn on the hot water tap for showers most mornings this summer.

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

From KXAN

I believe KXAN is mistaken.  If Camp Mabry's high temperature topped 100 F on July 8 as they asserted, today will be day #38 over 100 F.

Correction:  that article was last updated on August 11, so they had it right at that point.  Today will be day #38 with a high temp at Camp Mabry over 100 F.  If the 7-day forecast holds, we will hit 44 consecutive days over 100 F, and that is probably low, since it's only a 7-day forecast.

Edited by jimmyjazz

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

My office only has rainwater, so it just bakes in those tanks. I have about 8 seconds of bidet use before my asshole is ablaze. 

Over an hour and still no:

That's my fetish gif.

Lack of cold water is really hitting close to home.

23 hours ago, YGIFS said:

No, I think you're thinking of one county over, Eatabagofshityousuckport.

A new family to our school just arrived.  They were surprised to learn how early we start school and how hot it'd be.  Asked about the biking to school situation and mentioned their electronic cars.  I'm sure he said something about being vegan or crossfit but I had already tuned him out.  I told him the best bike path to get to the elementary and middle schools but warned him about the heat even at that hour.  He asked if he could shower to cool off at the school before he continues on to his nearby office.  So I'm torn on whether I should report him or if that his weird way of telling me he's a sex offender within 1000 yards of me.  I figure he'll be dead from heatstroke by this time next week so it'll sort itself out.  His wife seems cool.  

Rules

26 minutes ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Hopefully not re: being on the shitty, dry side of a tropical system. Need to root for this model below to come true (ha)

gem_mslp_uv850_us_fh0-240.thumb.gif.23d22b4a47eda0cbc18285f824da2d3b.gif

This would be fantastic, but it will curve and go into Louisiana at Lake Charles.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Hate said:

This would be fantastic, but it will curve and go into Louisiana at Lake Charles.

That Pacific Coast storm looks like some Leviticus type shit. 

-Straight up the West side of Baja so the Gulf of California stacks up like a damn tsunami.

-Just enough access to water to maintain strength and drown tens of thousands of desert living/visiting people in PHX and LVS   

Slight tangent, but I haven't seen a 2023 lawn thread:  

We've let our yard go to shit.  I only water the roots of trees near our house and the perimeter of the foundation (when I think of it).  Obviously, our grass is proper fucked.

What's the going rec for highly drought-resistant, low-H20 lawn grass in central Texas, and when do we put down sod?  Is this fall acceptable?

22 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Slight tangent, but I haven't seen a 2023 lawn thread:  

We've let our yard go to shit.  I only water the roots of trees near our house and the perimeter of the foundation (when I think of it).  Obviously, our grass is proper fucked.

What's the going rec for highly drought-resistant, low-H20 lawn grass in central Texas, and when do we put down sod?  Is this fall acceptable?

I believe that Mr. Brady has a good recommendation for you.....

9AzDliLyiEfwCeHmN-3ujEz2QgOS20HnN9qc3ceX

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Anybody notice that 104 is the ubiquitous number the last couple weeks?  Used to be 95.  Then "Triple Digits."  Now, not 105 but 104.  So thoughts and prayers to some of y'all's grandparents but if I meet somebody who is 104 this month, I am going to punch them and leave them in the heat to die.  And then have the body moved to Jimmyjazz's yard and claim he did it for a bizarre fertilization re-sodding sacrifice to Jeff, the God of Topsoil.  Anybody rats me out, you come at me bro.  But bring Gatorade.  Really, really cold original flavor.  

Edited by YGIFS

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well.....way to just TOTALLY beclown yourself, dude.  I'll have you know that the forecast temps for Thurs and Fri are 107.  Man.  What a doofus you are.

You apparently missed the "+" sign.  I yam nothing if not anal retentive (ish).

• Hook 'Em 1