Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

No offense, but you couldn't tell a 5-degree difference just by walking into a room? 

Our bedroom has the same thing, but it's a 2-3 degree difference. Closets in all the bedrooms stay closed and when you do walk into them, it's a solid 5-7 degree difference since they don't get conditioned air.

Sadly, I have a rare biological syndrome called "Antifahrenheitism" where I'm numb to temperature.

No, I could tell of course. I set them up to verify the thermostat was more or less reading correctly.

Yeah our closet/bathroom is a nice little icebox also, while 5 feet away it's a sweatbox.

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

It will hit Houston.  Trust me as a resident in the Corpus area for now 30 years.   These models week out show us getting rain or direct hits from a coastal system and they almost always shift north.   If the models would've been correct a week out.   We should've been a direct hit by Ike in 2008 and Rita in 2005.      I fully expect nothing next week down here.   I'd gladly run around naked in the my back yard in the wind driven  rain if I'm wrong.  

User name checks out.

115. And given that it's just a week out, it's not likely not that far fetched. Likely something like 112 or something, but hottest day of the summer. 

This fucking summer that won't end. This is just misery.

Edit: Wunderground is showing 104.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

47 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

image.png.68c48ba768375c96337602b6cd75c8f2.png

115 next Friday? Erm, sure why not.

Probably an all-time record if that happens. Thrilling.

I remember looking at the weather page in the newspaper as a kid, 'cause I was a nerd, and Death Valley California nearly always had the national high in the summer.

I feel like 115 is in that Death Valley range.

So, as with all things, I blame Californians coming here and bringing their heat.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

AGAIN
image.thumb.png.c669c5877bd2a688b42a8bed6c543510.png

ya know, it is so nice for me that i can scroll right by any post you make related to aesthetics, quality, recommendations, literature, music, art, or any other topic of hedonism or matters of subjective taste.  that time is spent so much more productively looking at tits in ipihb (that i suspect you have terrible taste in as well). 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

115. And given that it's just a week out, it's not likely not that far fetched. Likely something like 112 or something, but hottest day of the summer. 

35 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

115 next Friday? Erm, sure why not.

Probably an all-time record if that happens. Thrilling.

Yesterday, the 110 degrees set the second hottest all-time record, with the record being a couple of days hitting 112.

I don't see 115 happening, but I see us taking our 100+ degree days in a row and hitting 50 easily.

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

In which noted bookworm and human evidence that maybe there is something to phrenology Jared Patterson  discovers evidence for the spherical planet hypothesis:

Screenshot because tweets aren't embedding
image.thumb.png.a4701f562e409e7ecd2d8e23f553ef8b.png

I don't know anything about that rep but I'm pretty sure that's not the point that he's making. 

I'm officially in the irritable stage due to the heat. Even if it's comfortable inside, I feel like I'm trapped and all the living things outside the walls of the house are literally burning to death. 

1 minute ago, gofuckyourself said:

Yeah me too ... against the wall.

sadtom1.gif.ed58bb2d036a3fa342cbacfa8135f83c.gif

i got you, fam. that was a sick burn.

xluna-high-five.gif

p.s., every time i see you are the last poster in this thread on the main page, i think to myself, yep...thread/username combination checks out.

Edited by sidis

On 8/13/2023 at 2:45 PM, Storm the Field said:

Highs expected to go from 105-107 to 102 or less starting this coming Sunday. Friday quite possibly will be Austin's final day above 104 this year, a level that was breached 20+ times already this Summer. 

Thank you baby Jesus, we made it y'all. One more scorching summer down, and its all hot chocolate and parkas from here on out. Wait, this......this cant be! What is going on? 

image.thumb.png.d6dcf6f4b6457eaf9cbf2f6d8833cb90.png

• Rage+1 1

In which noted bookworm and human evidence that maybe there is something to phrenology Jared Patterson  discovers evidence for the spherical planet hypothesis:
Screenshot because tweets aren't embedding
image.thumb.png.a4701f562e409e7ecd2d8e23f553ef8b.png

Per Wikipedia…

In 2022 Patterson filed a bill and corresponding constitutional amendment in the Texas legislature to dissolve the city of Austin and create a District of Austin under the control of the state government. The bill was nearly identical to one introduced by State Rep. Briscoe Cain (R-Deer Park) in 2021; that bill died in the House State Affairs Committee. If passed, Patterson's bill would severely weaken the legal principle of local control.
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Whatever. How can we count on solar it it doesn't work when the sun is down? Why don't they make solar panels that work day and night? This is why we can't count on their unreliable power. Don't get me started on wind either. Wind always blows the same everyday and the fact all those windmills ALWAYS go down at night proves they don't work either!

'Merica

7 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Whatever. How can we count on solar it it doesn't work when the sun is down? Why don't they make solar panels that work day and night? This is why we can't count on their unreliable power. Don't get me started on wind either. Wind always blows the same everyday and the fact all those windmills ALWAYS go down at night proves they don't work either!

'Merica

You think this is funny but we need both. The fact that we don't have more nuclear power in this country is a joke. Solar and wind are dependent on just that. Solar and wind. 

Anything but coal, really.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Went out to the garage. Started the car, and it had a reading of 103 degrees. Its AC feels cool though.

I think I'll roll down the windows and let it run for a while.

It's fucking hot, but it's no reason to kill  yourself.  Just pull out of the garage and start driving for either Colorado, or if you can't wait that long, Cloudcroft.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I'm officially in the irritable stage due to the heat. Even if it's comfortable inside, I feel like I'm trapped and all the living things outside the walls of the house are literally burning to death. 

Welcome to the month long party I’ve been having pal. 

Forecast high of only 95 on Tuesday, but otherwise, it appears Houston is on schedule to hit triple digits every other day of August. Tomorrow looks like it could be the hottest day of all. 106! Gonna blow out the previous record for August 20th by at least 5 degrees. 

Hit 100 once in August 2022. Zero times in August 2021. 

Most miserable Summer of my life and it just keeps getting extended. Every time there's a glint of hope in the forecast, I check the next day and it takes a turn for the worse. You thought last weekend was hot? We'll here's the exact same thing this weekend. And for good measure, we'll do it again next weekend too. The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Current forecast for Saturday of Labor Day Weekend is 99 with a chance of rain. Normally that would be a goddamn disaster, but here I am praying it might come true. 

Edited by Storm the Field

5 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Forecast high of only 95 on Tuesday, but otherwise, it appears Houston is on schedule to hit triple digits every other day of August. Tomorrow looks like it could be the hottest day of all. 106! Gonna blow out the previous record for August 20th by at least 5 degrees. 

Hit 100 once in August 2022. Zero times in August 2021. 

Most miserable Summer of my life and it just keeps getting extended. Every time there's a glint of hope in the forecast, I check the next day and it takes a turn for the worse. You thought last weekend was hot? We'll here's the exact same thing this weekend. And for good measure, we'll do it again next weekend too. The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Current forecast for Saturday of Labor Day Weekend is 99 with a chance of rain. Normally that would be a goddamn disaster, but here I am praying it might come true. 

I’d think the heat index makes houston every bit as hot as austin even if the temps don’t reflect it