Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

4 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Hey at least you're still getting in some lake time.

Some very good friends of ours here in Houston have a place on Lake Travis. They typically hit the road and spend at least every other weekend of the Summer at the lake, if not more often than that. They pretty much gave up and have hardly gone at all this year. Floating dock has been sitting on dry land for god knows how long at this point. Boat is essentially just a fancy ornament sitting under the driveway slip.

yeah the lake is EMPTY not just water but boats. I have no complaints personally right now (I feel fortunate at the moment), just complaints about water resources for all of us.

49 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Yeomans said a week or so ago that the high pressure shit was moving more toward the midwest and we'd get some relief.

Fuck this. 

image.png.ddc221392a09ab7a90eceaff0bccf0cd.png

In my mind's eye, those clouds from Friday through Monday look like fish about to explode.I may beat them to it!

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I believe that forecast will put us at 52 straight over 100. Do we make it to 60?

Wunderground has Austin at 99/73 one week from Wed. Looks like a weak front based on the wind. Will probably fizzle in Oklahoma with the dry air air filtering in for a 109/80 day in Austin.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I must have missed it, but what is the concrete joke?

Just ribbing on someone trying to pass off a sharp uprising in heat increase over the last 20 years on the "concrete around Mabry" even thought the temps are the same in bum fuck Texas. 

Edited by Hmbre97

4 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

If you believe the AccuWeather 15-day forecast then it becomes a question of more than 60.

On the subject of long range looks, the high for the Rice game? 104.

The turf has to be at least 150 degrees. I hope nobody gets burned out there during tackles.

So my kids can go outside for Columbus Day?  Cool, cool.  I'm really starting to worry about what this kinda weather is gonna do for their socialization.  Gonna make a few months of Covid social distancing look like amateur hour.  I mean, I can send them out to play and ride bikes 'n shit still, but if there's no other kids outside (which there's fucking not)...then what's the fucking point?  There's no socialization.  Then I gotta go out there to play sports with 'em and I'm fucking gassed, I'm out.  About two weeks ago, I fucking gave up on choring, playing outside.  We go swimming and even then, only briefly and right after dawn or right before dusk.  

The very thing we complained about during Covid, kids losing interaction time, is going to be visited upon them ten-fold. How many times can I show them the 'Frozen' DVD before it becomes cruel?  

25 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

So my kids can go outside for Columbus Day?  Cool, cool.  I'm really starting to worry about what this kinda weather is gonna do for their socialization.  Gonna make a few months of Covid social distancing look like amateur hour.  I mean, I can send them out to play and ride bikes 'n shit still, but if there's no other kids outside (which there's fucking not)...then what's the fucking point?  There's no socialization.  Then I gotta go out there to play sports with 'em and I'm fucking gassed, I'm out.  About two weeks ago, I fucking gave up on choring, playing outside.  We go swimming and even then, only briefly and right after dawn or right before dusk.  

The very thing we complained about during Covid, kids losing interaction time, is going to be visited upon them ten-fold. How many times can I show them the 'Frozen' DVD before it becomes cruel?  

You've never lived in a place like Chicago or Minneapolis, have you?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

You've never lived in a place like Chicago or Minneapolis, have you?

I grew up near there, first 17 years of my life.   Got hotter than two rats in a sock, almost as bad as here.  But the big difference was it cooled down at night.  After the angry fireball in the sky went to sleep, it was very pleasant in the 50's and 60's.  I went to bed last night and it was 94 degrees.  Every Texas weather tracker  says just as recently as 25 years ago, the days were 10 degrees cooler than they are now, and the nights were 10 degrees cooler than they are now.  The cumulative effect of this many hot years so close together, where extreme heat and draught last for so long on either end of summer, and barely reprieve at night, is a recipe for long-term shitiness.  

24 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

GFS is showing lower temps (as in 98 degrees instead of 108 degrees) pretty consistently out past about a week. Wunderground is too.

image.thumb.png.90125e2dd4b7a069160bd9d2ac3e58f8.png

Maybe we're about to turn a corner?

Fail Charlie Brown GIF by Peanuts

How I feel about were going to experience after the corner

wall-slam.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I grew up near there, first 17 years of my life.   Got hotter than two rats in a sock, almost as bad as here.  But the big difference was it cooled down at night.  After the angry fireball in the sky went to sleep, it was very pleasant in the 50's and 60's.  I went to bed last night and it was 94 degrees.  Every Texas weather tracker  says just as recently as 25 years ago, the days were 10 degrees cooler than they are now, and the nights were 10 degrees cooler than they are now.  The cumulative effect of this many hot years so close together, where extreme heat and draught last for so long on either end of summer, and barely reprieve at night, is a recipe for long-term shitiness.  

That's not what I'm saying.

In Chicago, you don't go outside between December 1 and March 1.  Kids don't go out and ride bikes or play outside.  If they socialize, they do so the same way they do here in the summer--they go over to a friend's house or they talk on the phone/internet.

And they've been doing that in Chicago for a very long time.  So I think your concerns about child socialization are misplaced.

• Like 1

Fair point.  I don't remember how we made it work, but we did.  I guess we bundled up to play, not much you can do when the asphalt in the street is 140 degrees and the backyard has been scorched of any grass.  This summer has been extra frustrating because the older one was embracing tennis and volleyball.  The younger one wanted to learn to ride a pedal bike and play soccer.  We tried doing all those things inside a friend's home but the parents got all pissy about us breaking shit.  

My app shows the exact same thing, plus another cell about 90 minutes later slightly more north.

This is sad that we're looking for tiny spotty showers on the future radar map.

During the week my only time to excercise is in the afternoon at the hottest part of the day.

Due to injury about the only thing I can do is cycling, which due to my own personal hang ups, I won't do on a stationary bike.

Nevertheless, I am able to get in 30 to 45 minutes outside on some more intense hill and sprint type of training.

Any more time than that, I feel dangerously overheated. Also, it becomes a logistical problem, as that is the amount of time that my do rags and head band become completely saturated with sweat and I can no longer control the stinging drip onto my eyes.

Some days I start out and head down the drive only to be hit in the face with a hot wind of death and then "nope" out and go watch tv, preferably some thing with some cold wintery scenery.

The wife and kids rock climb at the gym in ac comfort.

• Hook 'Em 1

This morning felt "acceptable" in our corner of Austin... a little overcast which helps.  I've actually been sitting on the back patio which faces west and is covered so there's no direct sun back here for now.  Will probably throw in the towel soon but this is the first time I've done this in a while.  Yesterday it was about 100 by now.  Today a chilly 91.

On the bike riding... I keep telling myself that training in this heat will make us bulletproof later in the year.  Allegedly.  (or dead)

12 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Due to injury about the only thing I can do is cycling, which due to my own personal hang ups, I won't do on a stationary bike.

I got over my stationary bike hang ups and never looked back.  I'll do some outdoor riding when the weather is tolerable but for real work; it's the stationary with auto incline / resistance adjustments for me.  I like being able to go hard for 30 minutes straight and not have to worry about dodging traffic, dogs, rabid squirrels, etc.  Plus, AC.

4 hours ago, YGIFS said:

This doesn't make any sense at all. Are your kids not in school? That was the biggest socialization issue during covid. Also, get the phone numbers of other parents in your hood and arrange times for the kids to either play at your house or theirs. Just because they don't want to play outside on the weekends or after school doesn't mean their socialization skills are suffering. These are things that everyone has dealt with our entire lives, whether it be due to the heat in the south or the winters in the north. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, texasdago said:

This morning felt "acceptable" in our corner of Austin... a little overcast which helps.  I've actually been sitting on the back patio which faces west and is covered so there's no direct sun back here for now.  Will probably throw in the towel soon but this is the first time I've done this in a while.  Yesterday it was about 100 by now.  Today a chilly 91.

On the bike riding... I keep telling myself that training in this heat will make us bulletproof later in the year.  Allegedly.  (or dead)

I don't know about later in the year, but when I do my long rides on weekend mornings, they feel like a walk in the park comparatively.

Come to think of it, riding in the cold kind of sucks too.

1 hour ago, Jiggy-Z said:

During the week my only time to excercise is in the afternoon at the hottest part of the day.

Nevertheless, I am able to get in 30 to 45 minutes outside on some more intense hill and sprint type of training.

Any more time than that, I feel dangerously overheated. Also, it becomes a logistical problem, as that is the amount of time that my do rags and head band become completely saturated with sweat and I can no longer control the stinging drip onto my eyes.

Some days I start out and head down the drive only to be hit in the face with a hot wind of death and then "nope" out and go watch tv, preferably some thing with some cold wintery scenery.

The wife and kids rock climb at the gym in ac comfort.

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I got over my stationary bike hang ups and never looked back.  I'll do some outdoor riding when the weather is tolerable but for real work; it's the stationary with auto incline / resistance adjustments for me.  I like being able to go hard for 30 minutes straight and not have to worry about dodging traffic, dogs, rabid squirrels, etc.  Plus, AC.

Join the Pelo-cult!  It's amazing.  

Most of the world is ride-able.  And one day we will do the cleaning.