Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

19 hours ago, kevwun said:

Chili coffee and a cigarette would probably make someone shit their pants within 2 minutes.

Every male Texan over 35 knows first hand how this combination effects them. 

15 hours ago, YGIFS said:

108 in Northern France, or 10 degrees hotter than the Saharan desert.  

totally normal cycle.

Not minimizing but I think you are looking at Northern Spain. 

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Perfect high school football night right?

I went to the McCallum-Anderson game last night, and the concrete and metal bleachers in House Park were basically a brick oven radiating heat into our asses, in addition to almost no breeze. 

37 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I went to the McCallum-Anderson game last night, and the concrete and metal bleachers in House Park were basically a brick oven radiating heat into our asses, in addition to almost no breeze. 

that's a lot of concrete, flip flop.

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

They delayed kickoff of our HS game last night to 7:30.  It was still balls hot, but it did make a difference as sun was mostly behind stadium wall by that point.

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I like how the 6-10 day is just a giant scorching heat penis giving us a firefuck right up the middle of the country.

I'd watch that movie, but my VPN hasn't arrived yet.  

Somebody please regale us again with the "Good news Texans, Just 6 more days until the start of meteorological Fall."  My daughter's science teacher told them something like that yesterday.   

4 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I keep hearing about these pattern changes in September but all I see rage.  Or are we talking pattern kind of like you're not supposed to wear white after Labor Day? This is a fashion thing right?

You're actually supposed to wear white as we all involuntarily self-immolate ourselves on black asphalt to appease Ercot, the squire to Hyperion.  

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Somebody please regale us again with the "Good news Texans, Just 6 more days until the start of meteorological Fall."  My daughter's science teacher told them something like that yesterday.   

The average high goes down a full degree every 5 days this time a year. Yet here we are sitting at 107 right now.

I know my car thermometer isn’t calibrated to be the outside temperature, but it does give me a consistent number to compare other days too.  During this wave it usually 106-108 when I get in the car and cools down to 98-103 while I’m driving.  Well yesterday it was 117 when I got in and only cooled off to 107.  

My 7-10 day out look shows mid 90s for the highs and lows that start with a 7. Fall is here!

5 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

The average high goes down a full degree every 5 days this time a year. Yet here we are sitting at 107 right now.

You're not looking at the law of moving numbers here, man.  With so many summers in the last 25 years looking more and more like this, the average high goes up a full degree every 5 days this time of year.  So we're actually narrowing the gap.  That's good news if you look at it mathematically.  

If you recall the "battle tactics" scene in "The Hunt for Red October", by quickly closing the distance between the ship and the torpedo, Capt. Rameus reduced the time for the weapon to arm itself.  By heating ourselves, we are closing the range between our current highs and the annual average temps for this date.  Pretty genius, or certainly a "You arrogant ass, you've killed us" situation.  

10 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

For point of reference, in 2011 the last 100 degree day didn’t come until September 29th.

Yeah, from the numbers someone posted a while back, every really hot year doesn't start cooling off until the end of September.  We got 5 more weeks of this.

Edited by kevwun

How the fuck does nature make a straight line? There are no straight lines in nature. Yet the daily highs are a straight line since early July. The daily lows and the total rainfall are a straight line since early June. This isn't nature. This is a climate controlled house set to "on fire."

image.png.7a93e1d66aa6e4bb6a4fb82e244fab37.png

21 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Europe today. 

todays-temperatures-in-europe-how-are-yo

Bozo & JS1-------------That 42 and 41, okay maybe that's more central France, not North---but it's France.  A stretch from Toulouse to Lyon, at/around 107-108 degrees.  Those dark maroon ovals in/around Central France, it's 40-42, nearly 108 degrees.  That's France.  There are no 42's anywhere in Spain.  So you don't know how to convert Celsius or how to read a map, you must be great on camping trips.  

I'm looking right at two spots of 42 in Central France.  How the fuck are you two not seeing this?  Andorra seems pleasant right now though, we should go.    

Edited by YGIFS

26 minutes ago, Js1 said:

image.jpeg.bacd5cfb880b127da625983665c9d001.jpeg

You see that 42 where you think Spain is for some dumb fucking reason?  The one with the 37 to its 2 o'clock and 39 at its 11 o'clock.  That's not even close to being in Spain.  You're literally in the hundreds of kilometers off.   

Unless you're one of those challenged people that thinks whichever direction they are facing is North, in which case I am sorry for my insulting tone ;) 

Edited by YGIFS

37 minutes ago, Js1 said:

image.jpeg.bacd5cfb880b127da625983665c9d001.jpeg

34 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Bozo & JS1-------------That 42 and 41, okay maybe that's more central France, not North---but it's France.  A stretch from Toulouse to Lyon, at/around 107-108 degrees.  Those dark maroon ovals in/around Central France, it's 40-42, nearly 108 degrees.  That's France.  There are no 42's anywhere in Spain.  So you don't know how to convert Celsius or how to read a map, you must be great on camping trips.  

I'm looking right at two spots of 42 in Central France.  How the fuck are you two not seeing this?  Andorra seems pleasant right now though, we should go.    

todays-temperatures-in-europe-how-are-you-dealing-with-this-v0-8mv37jb073kb1.png

Also that 42 is in the proverbial "South of France", Central France is Centre, where my cousin lives. It's in the 60-70s this week, though it gets warmer as you go down to Lyon or Toulouse. That 42 is south of there.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Haha 3

Okay, Central France.  But still France.  You said I was referring to Spain, not the country of France.    I am not, I am referring to the 42 degree zone in Central France, literally hundreds of kilometers where you two cartographers think Spain is for some reason.  Find Malloraca and Minorca.  Go straight up from there to a 42* zone with a 37 to its immediate East.  That's France as I've said a half dozen times.  I am not mistaking Central France for Spain.  It's about Mountaban, France at 108 degrees and about 400-500 kilometers where your Spain bubble is.  The 42 to which I refer again is in France, not Spain.  

52 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

todays-temperatures-in-europe-how-are-you-dealing-with-this-v0-8mv37jb073kb1.png

Also that 42 is in the proverbial "South of France", Central France is Centre, where my cousin lives. It's in the 60-70s this week, though it gets warmer as you go down to Lyon or Toulouse. That 42 is south of there.

might be a good time to buy a bunch of cases of your favorite wines. Not sure grapes are gonna love the heat.

• Hook 'Em 1

Good point.  I didn't even think about the Hill country winemakers during all this shit.  The Tempranillos were finally getting good after some years of vine acclimating.  But I'm sure the grapes are thinking, "We're good hot weather grapes, but you can't grow shit on the sun assholes!"  I'm guessing for the rest of this decade, you'll be able to get a really good deal on any Texas wine (or most winemaking regions in the Northern Hemisphere for that matter) from 2023.  And invariably when your guests ask to just switch to Mad Dog 20/20, we'll look back on these maps and weep.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Good point.  I didn't even think about the Hill country winemakers during all this shit.  The Tempranillos were finally getting good after some years of vine acclimating.  But I'm sure the grapes are thinking, "We're good hot weather grapes, but you can't grow shit on the sun assholes!"  I'm guessing for the rest of this decade, you'll be able to get a really good deal on any Texas wine (or most winemaking regions in the Northern Hemisphere for that matter) from 2023.  And invariably when your guests ask to just switch to Mad Dog 20/20, we'll look back on these maps and weep.  

Vast majority of the grapes come from the high plains near Lubbock. Doesn’t matter anyway. Texas wines are…not good. 

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Okay, Central France.  But still France.  You said I was referring to Spain, not the country of France.    I am not, I am referring to the 42 degree zone in Central France, literally hundreds of kilometers where you two cartographers think Spain is for some reason.  Find Malloraca and Minorca.  Go straight up from there to a 42* zone with a 37 to its immediate East.  That's France as I've said a half dozen times.  I am not mistaking Central France for Spain.  It's about Mountaban, France at 108 degrees and about 400-500 kilometers where your Spain bubble is.  The 42 to which I refer again is in France, not Spain.  

Who you calling Macaca, George Allen?

17 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Vast majority of the grapes come from the high plains near Lubbock. Doesn’t matter anyway. Texas wines are…not good. 

It depends! Texas can grow pretty good Mourvedre, Granache, Temperanillo, Chenin Blanc, decent Cab Franc, and truly excellent Viognier. Terrible Chard, Merlot, and mediocre zin and Cabernet Sauv though. 

• Hook 'Em 2