Palo Alto Super Regional: Texas @ Stanford

Horny Bull

34 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

50 pitches two days ago is not nothing, especially for guys who don’t regularly throw 75+ pitches.

They may have more arms but that doesn’t mean they have any good arms left. They only have a pitching staff of like 6 guys total that actually ever pitch for them.

Former pitcher here, some say the greatest to ever take the mound on a Texas high school field. 

Pitching 2 days after throwing 50 pitches is not nothing. You long tossed before the game, you threw in the bullpen, you threw between innings. You’re gonna do it all again two days later. While that doesn’t match the intensity of a game pitch it all adds up. It’s different for everyone but adrenaline is gonna get you through the first inning or so. Once your pitch count starts climbing you’re really going to feel that shit more than normal. I’d be shocked if he goes longer than 2-3 innings.

quoted the wrong fucker

Edited by Helobious
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

44 minutes ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

What is with this weak bullshit negativity in here this AM? C'mon now.

Gah, my ears.  I thought it might be Nickelback at first, so I shazam'ed it, and lo and behold, it's a band PRODUCED by Nickelback.  lulz

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

50 pitches two days ago is not nothing, especially for guys who don’t regularly throw 75+ pitches.

They may have more arms but that doesn’t mean they have any good arms left. They only have a pitching staff of like 6 guys total that actually ever pitch for them.

that was my point.  they have more arms/pitches available which you kept arguing with me on.

starters who throw 80-90 pitches might have a bullpen on day 2 or day 3.  A guy who only threw 50 isn't gonna have a huge problem throwing 40 on day 2 if they need it. is it optimal? no.

If Witt and Hurley give us 6 solid innings somehow we have a great shot.

Dowd and Dixon will both be available, Dixon probably in an extended capacity, Dowd probably more limited. Dixon has thrown 100+ pitches 3 times this year, Dowd has thrown 50+ pitches 9 times. They will both be ready and available for them.
Key for Texas is capitalizing on the arm, like a Nick Dugan, who Stanford throws tonight trying to steal innings. I’d be surprised if Stanford tested the waters with Ryan Bruno again
These games where it’s all hands on deck are impossible to predict. There is a good chance Lucas pitches for us tonight

Yeah both teams will take whoever can throw an inning into the mix.

As for Dowd, his maximum number of pitches for a weekend is 77. He has not thrown 50 pitches then come back again and be successful that same weekend. Against UW he threw 49 and came back and gave up a run in 1 inning. His max in the best circumstances has been 3. Typically he throws fewer pitches in the first weekend game then comes back a second time.

Dixon doesn’t go more than 6 on his best day. He hasn’t pitched more than once per weekend when starting that weekend.

Their overall numbers are a bit better than average under usual circumstances. That’s on us if they are significant factors today.

Dugan and Scott are the biggest threats. Scott has only 1 good performance in the last month. Bruno is a wildcard, but he’s likely to be needed for them.

It’s all a crapshoot on what you get.

28 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Yeah both teams will take whoever can throw an inning into the mix.

As for Dowd, his maximum number of pitches for a weekend is 77. He has not thrown 50 pitches then come back again and be successful that same weekend. Against UW he threw 49 and came back and gave up a run in 1 inning. His max in the best circumstances has been 3. Typically he throws fewer pitches in the first weekend game then comes back a second time.

Dixon doesn’t go more than 6 on his best day. He hasn’t pitched more than once per weekend when starting that weekend.

Their overall numbers are a bit better than average under usual circumstances. That’s on us if they are significant factors today.

Dugan and Scott are the biggest threats. Scott has only 1 good performance in the last month. Bruno is a wildcard, but he’s likely to be needed for them.

It’s all a crapshoot on what you get.

Yep, pitching will be a crapshoot for both. These games often come down to someone unexpected doing something that they normally aren’t capable of doing. So far for Texas this postseason that guy has been Zane. 

Lotta short leashes and riding a hot hand until he falters.

As has been stated before both teams are pretty similar, Stanford with the edge offensively. 6-9 this weekend for Texas has done everything they can to keep Texas in this series, 1-5 has to step up tonight.

Chase Lummus is a name I’d like to see tonight to counter the righties we will throw tonight in Witt, Hurley, and Morehouse. He’s got a great changeup and a solid fastball. 

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Yeah, play the game.

We need to hit. It’s been the story all season. If the top of the lineup produces, we succeed.  

We’re lucky to be in game 3. It is a toss up. Which players have a day? Who knows. I think Pierce has the tougher job getting his team mentally focused simply because we don’t have many confident hitters right now.

Our lineup is MUCH better with 2 DH's.....

You guys with the subtle hints at being close to  the program need to fire off a sternly worded email, text, or paper note to Pierce, Del Conte, Jay Hartzell or whoever else it may be that you know to make it happen. 🤘😬

College Baseball GIF by Texas Longhorns

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Former pitcher here, some say the greatest to ever take the mound on a Texas high school field. 

So you are David Clyde?  If so I saw you pitch,  with some nasty, nasty stuff as a high school flame thrower.  Also sorry the Rangers fucked you!

But back to the subject at hand.  You have to give a tip of the hat to Stanford for not having to chew into the bullpen last night with Quinn Matthews herculean effort in tossing a complete game win.  Like I have so often said. Sometimes the other guys are pretty damn good too and make some plays.   Should be a good game tonight, if nothing else you will definitely be looking at the smartest group of players stepping onto the field the rest of the tournament.  

We simply need to be more patient at the plate, IMHO.  Should be a great game.  Hope I am happy drunk and not mad drunk...

we can win, anyone thinking we can't is acting like a flaccid tiny limp dick. but it comes down to offense and theoretically we start this game at a disadvantage unless our pitchers can neutralize Standford some.  if that happens and our bats show up, we could whip their ass.  if it doesn't, Stanford could be celebrating by the 7th inning with large lead.

4 minutes ago, troph said:

we can win, anyone thinking we can't is acting like a flaccid tiny limp dick. but it comes down to offense and theoretically we start this game at a disadvantage unless our pitchers can neutralize Standford some.  if that happens and our bats show up, we could whip their ass.  if it doesn't, Stanford could be celebrating by the 7th inning with large lead.

Like say, 5-2?

6 minutes ago, troph said:

Anyone acting like Stanford is inevitable tonight is a dumbass. These are college kids. They all can choke, they all can feel the pressure of the moment, they all can step up. Stanford is a good fucking team, but you know what, so is Texas. This is a gut check game and the team that can handle the pressure better will win. 

3 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

This is one of the most bitchass pregame threads we’ve ever had. We are Texas. Going to Omaha is what we do. Quit with the doom and gloom and let’s actually throw a pitch before we quit.

What it maybe does reveal is that Pierce has gotten us to Supers and to Omaha with some of the less-talented Texas squads.  You could consider that an indictment of recruiting, but last couple of years it has been attributable to injuries that left us with big holes in the roster, particularly on the pitching staff, with Witt last year and Toles and Shaw this year.

God knows we missed out on some CWS and Supers under Augie, but most of the time we were expecting to win.  One notable exception being that 2014 squad that kept surprising the fuck out of us.

• Hook 'Em 1

This team has overachieved all year since about mid-March. I can think of some Texas teams who didn't make it out of a regional that were twice as talented as this team. There are Arkansas, Vandy, Clemson and OSU fans all over the place wondering how the hell we are still playing and their team isn't.

There's something to be said though for a team just not knowing any better and continuing to play over their heads. Feels like we have squeezed almost everything we can out of this group, just a matter of finding out in 9 innings if it is enough to go to Omaha.

image.jpeg.08d487a7485c685d99116067abd775d9.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

This is one of the most bitchass pregame threads we’ve ever had. We are Texas. Going to Omaha is what we do. Quit with the doom and gloom and let’s actually throw a pitch before we quit.

They are horrible.  We will win convincingly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

22 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

This team has overachieved all year since about mid-March. I can think of some Texas teams who didn't make it out of a regional that were twice as talented as this team. There are Arkansas, Vandy, Clemson and OSU fans all over the place wondering how the hell we are still playing and their team isn't.

There's something to be said though for a team just not knowing any better and continuing to play over their heads. Feels like we have squeezed almost everything we can out of this group, just a matter of finding out in 9 innings if it is enough to go to Omaha.

I agree. we can win and we are playing with house money right now.  on paper it looks like a 7-4 Stanford win, but fuck that shit. We're Texas (Baseball).... saddle up limp dicks, we gonna ride....

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm sure it's been covered, so SIAP..
How many 0-2 counts were we in last night?  Seemed like everyone was down 0-2 before stepping in the box.

That’s because almost everyone’s approach was to watch the fat first pitch strike and then spend the rest of the at bat chasing out of the zone.

The few that swung on the first pitch had some success.

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Pitching 2 days after throwing 50 pitches is not nothing. You long tossed before the game, you threw in the bullpen, you threw between innings. You’re gonna do it all again two days later. While that doesn’t match the intensity of a game pitch it all adds up. It’s different for everyone but adrenaline is gonna get you through the first inning or so. Once your pitch count starts climbing you’re really going to feel that shit more than normal. I’d be shocked if he goes longer than 2-3 innings.

quoted the wrong fucker

Was this meant as a joke?  It's hard to tell sometimes.  So just to be clear, you're saying you're kind of like the Uncle Rico of Texas high school baseball?

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, TxTower said:

The few that swung on the first pitch had some success.

First pitch swing results:

Foul ball, foul ball, triple, sac fly, foul ball, foul ball

We did not swing and miss on a first pitch the entire game.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

Was this meant as a joke?  It's hard to tell sometimes.  So just to be clear, you're saying you're kind of like the Uncle Rico of Texas high school baseball?

To give you an idea, we once had a double-header everyday for 3 days for a tourney. I pitched a perfect game all 6 games. It was tough but the nightly bjs from the top 3 cheerleaders got me through

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What were the ball/strike counts when we took?

Well, he threw first pitch strikes to 23 of 37 batters (including foul balls and balls put in play). So that means in the 31 at bats where we took the first pitch. we went down 0-1 17 times (55%).

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Were people this all of the place heading into game 3 last year? Or since we were the team that won game 2 was everything fine and rosy?

almost exact same scenario as last year except game 1 and 2 reversed with crazy comeback in game 2.  ECU was killing our pitching but I think we had more confidence in our hitting to come through last year.  stevens was definitely a wild card after getting lit up in game 1.  I think we also thought ECU was running out of pitching.

• Hook 'Em 1

Well, he threw first pitch strikes to 23 of 37 batters (including foul balls and balls put in play). So that means in the 31 at bats where we took the first pitch. we went down 0-1 17 times (55%).

17 out of 31 is not as good as I would have thought. Effectively a bit wild?

Thomas and Campbells pitches were strikes but who knows about the others.

3 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

17 out of 31 is not as good as I would have thought. Effectively a bit wild?

Thomas and Campbells pitches were strikes but who knows about the others.

He didn't throw a first pitch strike to any of the 4 batters he faced in the 9th so the stats looked much better the first 8 innings.