2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

I’m usually pretty negative but this is shaping up to be the best roster we’ve had under DP imo. Covid was an elite roster but this seems really well rounded overall.

I would have loved getting Tulo and Woody on coaching staff at the same time but overall our staff is better than last year now. DP needs to show he can teach pitchers though.

All in all next season looks pretty bright right now

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Also, there's no chance Belyeu is coming off the bench the way he's hitting in summer league. 

Day 1 starter. The OF moves seem to suggest that Porter Brown is definitely moving on from baseball. 

Swap Belyeu in for Brown, doesn’t really change much, although I am a big fan of Brown.  If he’s moving on I really hope he gives pro ball a shot.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Swap Belyeu in for Brown, doesn’t really change much, although I am a big fan of Brown.  If he’s moving on I really hope he gives pro ball a shot.

Yeah, the OF won't have much fanfare based on the lack of college production but I think we're loaded there. 

2 huge prep talents (Gasparino and Belyeu) and then Cummings does a lot of things that help you win games (defense/stealing bases/etc). 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah if OB or whoever confirmed with the Witt family he’s coming back, and KR says it, I’m taking it as gospel 

It looks to me like Texas prioritized starting pitching with NIL and then a couple of the signees. 

KR even mentioned there were rumblings that Gordon was returning. Looks like Texas did their best to get Witt, LBJ, and Gordon back. They went 2/3. In terms of NIL allocation, seems like a smart strategy. 

7 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I’m usually pretty negative but this is shaping up to be the best roster we’ve had under DP imo. Covid was an elite roster but this seems really well rounded overall.

I would have loved getting Tulo and Woody on coaching staff at the same time but overall our staff is better than last year now. DP needs to show he can teach pitchers though.

All in all next season looks pretty bright right now

He’s shown plenty in the pitching department. Just get him off of third base please.  

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It looks to me like Texas prioritized starting pitching with NIL and then a couple of the signees. 

KR even mentioned there were rumblings that Gordon was returning. Looks like Texas did their best to get Witt, LBJ, and Gordon back. They went 2/3. In terms of NIL allocation, seems like a smart strategy. 

It’s basically the strategy being pursued in every sport - set a floor for the roster and then do what needs to be done for special talent or key roles, whether on the current roster, in the portal or in recruiting. In baseball, proven starting pitching is part of the premium strategy. 

We’re still years away across all sports, but getting there quickly in a few of the ones that are key, baseball included. It’s going to be a few years before Texas is on LSU’s level in baseball without someone with deep pockets showing up quickly. 

• Hook 'Em 5

10 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

So @RGBIIIand @closetojumpingis the money that was allocated to Gordon still available or has it already been reallocated somewhere else?

I am less involved with anything daily but can speak to strategy. My understanding, which should be taken with a grain of salt in this case, is that not having Gordon back would help decompress the pressure of making all of this happen in this cycle. I think there’d have to be a really compelling substitute need for that reallocation to be a thing. RGBIII probably has better details. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If there is still NIL available the way I see it these would be the guys in the portal that would justify a "compelling substitute need."

Burns (SP)

Holman (SP)

Molina (SP)

Hainline (SS/3B/2B) 

I'm not including Bingham because I don't think we need an OF. Damn, I would love to go grab one of those 3 remaining starting pitchers and our rotation would be sick when you also include Hayden Morris likely being in the mix for the midweek starter. 

All 3 of those starting pitchers still being available likely means it's a very high cost though. So not sure if realistic. 

2 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Anybody thinking that Mercer could be a starter?  He did pretty good at ND before his injury and rehab season -- and he was effective out of the pen when rehabbing this past season.  

If we don't add another portal starter I think it's going to be Hayden Morris by the end of the year. 

This kid is filthy. 

2 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Im not banking on Witt though until after tomorrow.  Lots of teams take guys in the 11th and offer them $1M+.

So, Witt turned down $2mm from the White Sox so he could get $1mm in the 11th?  I could see that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

42 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Seems to be very well respected but also feels like a risky hire. A 28 year old that's never dealt with recruiting in college baseball? 

Who else were they going to hire when Harry Kuntz turned them down?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Getting Witt and LBJ back is HUGE.

Borba and Gasparino is big too.

Been awhile since we’ve had this kind of ceiling on both sides of the ball.  Guillemette and Porter Brown are the 2 unknowns at this point.

1B Thomas

3B Powell

DH Borba

C Guillemette*

RF Brown*

CF Cummings

SS Flores

LF Gasparino

2B O’Dowd

Bench: Belyeu, Galvan, Duplantier, Sweeney, Sanders, Kennedy, Ardoin, O’Hara

Im not banking on Witt though until after tomorrow.  Lots of teams take guys in the 11th and offer them $1M+.

Yeah man- if I’m the astros I take all 4 of those guys if possible LBJ, Witt, prospects etc and see if I can sign just one. I think they are all over slot candidates for any team saving money (or one that’s brave enough to blow through the draft pick cap, something a team like the dodgers or  or Yankees or any big market team picking later in the draft the next year should seriously consider. I’m sweating tomorrow for sure. 

7 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah man- if I’m the astros I take all 4 of those guys if possible LBJ, Witt, prospects etc and see if I can sign just one. I think they are all over slot candidates for any team saving money (or one that’s brave enough to blow through the draft pick cap, something a team like the dodgers or  or Yankees or any big market team picking later in the draft the next year should seriously consider. I’m sweating tomorrow for sure. 

No team is going more than 5% over their slot value.

6 minutes ago, txhorns said:

No team is going more than 5% over their slot value.

No team has yet. There’s a decent argument to be made that if you could get the right guys you should blow through your allotment and deal with the penalties the next year. 

one (of many) articles on the subject. 
https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/insider/story/_/id/37901894/how-new-york-yankees-mets-change-mlb-draft?platform=amp

The astros gave Clifford 1.25M in the 11th round last year and that slot is 125k, meaning they went like 10 times over slot, not a puny 5% over slot. Just because a texas player or signee didn’t get picked yet doesn’t mean there couldn’t be a 1M+ offer out there for them still. 

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

No team has yet. There’s a decent argument to be made that if you could get the right guys you should blow through your allotment and deal with the penalties the next year. 

one (of many) articles on the subject. 
https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/insider/story/_/id/37901894/how-new-york-yankees-mets-change-mlb-draft?platform=amp

The astros gave Clifford 1.25M in the 11th round last year and that slot is 125k, meaning they went like 10 times over slot, not a puny 5% over slot. Just because a texas player or signee didn’t get picked yet doesn’t mean there couldn’t be a 1M+ offer out there for them still. 

Teams only lose money by going up to 5% over their allotment.  Anything more than that and they start losing draft picks, including a 1st round pic.  You could make the argument that it’s worth it.  If a team could get multiple guys to sign who normally wouldn’t in that situation then it might make sense.  It wouldn’t make sense to pick up only one more player.

10 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Teams only lose money by going up to 5% over their allotment.  Anything more than that and they start losing draft picks, including a 1st round pic.  You could make the argument that it’s worth it.  If a team could get multiple guys to sign who normally wouldn’t in that situation then it might make sense.  It wouldn’t make sense to pick up only one more player.

I know. That's the point I was making.  Any of those guys could get drafted and offered over 1M (due to other savings in that slot) or someone could go nuts and sign all of them and say screw the penalties.  Which I think will and should happen some year for a team in the middle of their success window that figures to be picking at the end of the draft in coming years.  But the main point is- there is still a chance that one of those guys can get picked and signed for 1.5M or so by a team that's going underslot with an eye on grabbing someone that fell because they are considered a tough sign.