NBA 2023-24 Off Season

Fastbreak

How fucking retarded are we getting as a society? Apparently Sabrina Ionescu just broke a bunch of NBA 3 point contest records despite never playing a game in the NBA.

Screenshot_20230714_225904_ESPN.thumb.jpg.7e04a9d9f65cafedf62979547d5f6c58.jpg

Oh - by the way - in case anyone was wondering - it isn't the same ball or the same distance from the hoop or against the same competition. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

Who gives a shit? Where are All-Star game records even kept? Does anyone know or care who accumulated the most posts in a dunk contest or who dribbled around the court the fastest in the skills contest?

Give her some fucking credit, that's amazing. Of course they're going to compare her number of makes to the best NBA performances.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

100% of the people who would willingly click on an article about the WNBA All-Star festivities already know that the women's 3 point line is closer than the men.

That said, I get your point: a better author would have just listed the NBA records for context instead of saying that she broke them.

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah, but what's extra retarded is trying to claim that she broke some sort of nba record. you think we'll be hearing about any nba players breaking any wnba records any time soon?

The format has changed through the years so i dont really find the "points" aspect all that compelling, just the percentage. I do like the "starry" ball thing they do now though. Adds a nice pressure shot.

Edited by Pam Cummings

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Who gives a shit? Where are All-Star game records even kept? Does anyone know or care who accumulated the most posts in a dunk contest or who dribbled around the court the fastest in the skills contest?

Give her some fucking credit, that's amazing. Of course they're going to compare her number of makes to the best NBA performances.

Because it causes non-WNBA people to talk about it. Those ladies are good at what they do. But it's ridiculous that they always have to roach off the NBA to get attention. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Not saying it wasn't impressive. It was. Why do we need to label it as an NBA record? It isn't. 

11 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

There is competition in a 3pt shootout?

However you want to phrase it. NBA contest is a bigger stage with more pressure.

• Like 1

My bad for generating discussion. It's the offseason. There's going to be dumb offseason stuff posted. I thought ESPN handing NBA records to a meh WNBA player was hysterical and many other posters agreed. I probably watch as much WNBA as anyone here. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I like what PHX is doing stacking up 2nd round picks for pick swaps that they already have swaps for LOL.   They wont be able to afford any 1st round picks for a while anyway if they really are going to keep Beal, Booker, KD and Ayton together.   May as well have a whole bunch of 2RPs and hope that one or two pan out to be rotation guys.    There are always a couple guys that are far more ready to contribute in the 2nd.   Having more chances to find one is great idea for their situation.

15 minutes ago, d2o said:

I like what PHX is doing stacking up 2nd round picks for pick swaps that they already have swaps for LOL.   They wont be able to afford any 1st round picks for a while anyway if they really are going to keep Beal, Booker, KD and Ayton together.   May as well have a whole bunch of 2RPs and hope that one or two pan out to be rotation guys.    There are always a couple guys that are far more ready to contribute in the 2nd.   Having more chances to find one is great idea for their situation.

I have the opposite reaction. It's one thing to mortgage the future, it's another to double and triple down on it, especially with two guys who are on the downside of their careers and an underachieving disinterested big. The fact that Isiah Thomas is allegedly pulling the strings behind this even makes me more skeptical given his history of  taking a blow torch to  everything he's ever touched since his playing days ended. 

Don't get me wrong, I like the guys they added for the minimum this off-season  but they have a tight window and once it closes, it's going to be a long ass time before they can get it back open. 

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I have the opposite reaction. It's one thing to mortgage the future, it's another to double and triple down on it, especially with two guys who are on the downside of their careers and an underachieving disinterested big. The fact that Isiah Thomas is allegedly pulling the strings behind this even makes me more skeptical given his history of  taking a blow torch to  everything he's ever touched since his playing days ended. 

Don't get me wrong, I like the guys they added for the minimum this off-season  but they have a tight window and once it closes, it's going to be a long ass time before they can get it back open. 

The first round picks are already gone at this point.   If you are going with those 4 (and I totally get the debate on why they shouldnt) this is the only path.

I'm partial cause I LOVE Isiah, always have and always will.   I get that he is quite polarizing but I think his rep as a bad GM is vastly overblown.   He was great in TOR drafting Damon Stoudamire, Marcus Camby and Tracy McGrady in 3 straight drafts helping to build them to a fairly decent team within a few yrs of their existence.   

People tend to forget how badly Scott Layden had the Knicks cap situation when Thomas got there.   He made it worse with some of his moves for sure but a lot of that went from a mandate from ownership not to completely tear it down so he always had to try and get guys on 2nd chances and hope they panned out.   Penny Hardaway, Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis, even the Eddy Curry thing. The sexual harassment shit is completely inexcusable, no question about that and casts a huge negative on his time there.  Worse than any move he made obviously.     

Even with the Knicks he was pretty good drafting David Lee, Trevor Ariza and Wilson Chandler pretty late in their respective drafts.  If Zeke is the one judging talent and making the decision on drafting, I like what they can do with all those 2RPs.    Additionally, players, former and current, LOVE him.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2017954-turns-out-isiah-thomas-was-sort-of-a-good-gm-according-to-new-study

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, d2o said:

The first round picks are already gone at this point.   If you are going with those 4 (and I totally get the debate on why they shouldnt) this is the only path.

I'm partial cause I LOVE Isiah, always have and always will.   I get that he is quite polarizing but I think his rep as a bad GM is vastly overblown.   He was great in TOR drafting Damon Stoudamire, Marcus Camby and Tracy McGrady in 3 straight drafts helping to build them to a fairly decent team within a few yrs of their existence.   

People tend to forget how badly Scott Layden had the Knicks cap situation when Thomas got there.   He made it worse with some of his moves for sure but a lot of that went from a mandate from ownership not to completely tear it down so he always had to try and get guys on 2nd chances and hope they panned out.   Penny Hardaway, Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis, even the Eddy Curry thing. The sexual harassment shit is completely inexcusable, no question about that and casts a huge negative on his time there.  Worse than any move he made obviously.     

Even with the Knicks he was pretty good drafting David Lee, Trevor Ariza and Wilson Chandler pretty late in their respective drafts.  If Zeke is the one judging talent and making the decision on drafting, I like what they can do with all those 2RPs.    Additionally, players, former and current, LOVE him.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2017954-turns-out-isiah-thomas-was-sort-of-a-good-gm-according-to-new-study

Are you serious, Clark? Fine, he deserves credit for drafting well but that tells about 1/10 of the story. It's his salary cap management and trading of all those draft picks that was so abhorrent. Does any of that sound familiar to what's going on in Phoenix right now? It's taken the Knicks the better part of a decade to get out from under all that.

https://www.espn.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=5261731

Sure, Thomas crippled the long-term flexibility of the franchise by absorbing enormous contracts that pushed the Knicks deep into the luxury tax, but it's easy to forget how his willingness to relinquish future draft picks stunted the franchise's development as well.

Consider that in the deal for Eddy Curry, Thomas gave up the rights to four future draft picks -- four picks that eventually turned into LaMarcus Aldridge, Joakim Noah, Kyrylo Fesenko and Jon Brockman. On top of that, the Utah Jazz will pick in the Knicks' ninth slot in this year's NBA draft thanks to Thomas' blockbuster trade for Stephon Marbury six years ago.

FYI that Utah pick was Gordon Hayward. And all that was at a time when the luxury tax was only punitive financially, and mildly punitive at that. 

And lest we forget how he drove the CBA, which had been around since 1946, into bankruptcy in less than two years.

Your NBA takes are usually spot on, but you've got to be letting your love of Isiah as a player cloud your judgment of him as an executive. He's beyond incompetent and has shown zero signs of understanding even the most fundamental elements of salary cap management. And all the sexual harassment stuff, which you mentioned, should be a non-starter for pretty much any franchise, but especially in Phoenix fresh off running their owner for similar shit. 

Like I said, they have a small window. Durant will be 35 when the season starts and he hasn't been able to stay consistently healthy the last few years. Beal just turned 30 but his numbers have been on the decline for a few years now. Ayton is a bum on a bad contract they can't move. Good luck with all that.

Look at their future draft capital after their most recent moves. It's an abject disaster. They better fucking hope Isiah is a drafting genius because they are going to be picking at the bottom of the first round and most likely, deep into the second. Good luck finding value with Denver's SRP next year. The NBA is going to have to revise the Stepien Rule to make the Ishbia Rule:

First? YES — least favorable of their own, Washington (if 13-30) or Memphis
Second? YES — Denver’s

First? NO
Second? YES — Pelicans’

First? YES — least favorable of their own, Washington (if not coveyed to NY in a separate deal) or Orlando
Second? YES — least favorable of Detroit, Orlando or Milwaukee

First? NO
Second? NO

First? YES — least favorable of their own, Washington, Philadelphia (if 9-30) or Brooklyn
Second? YES (2) — Memphis’ AND Boston’s (if 46-60)

First? NO
Second? YES — Memphis

First? YES — least favorable of their own, Washington or Memphis
Second? NO

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Are you serious, Clark? Fine, he deserves credit for drafting well but that tells about 1/10 of the story. It's his salary cap management and trading of all those draft picks that was so abhorrent. Does any of that sound familiar to what's going on in Phoenix right now? It's taken the Knicks the better part of a decade to get out from under all that.

https://www.espn.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=5261731

FYI that Utah pick was Gordon Hayward. And all that was at a time when the luxury tax was only punitive financially, and mildly punitive at that. 

And lest we forget how he drove the CBA, which had been around since 1946, into bankruptcy in less than two years.

Your NBA takes are usually spot on, but you've got to be letting your love of Isiah as a player cloud your judgment of him as an executive. He's beyond incompetent and has shown zero signs of understanding even the most fundamental elements of salary cap management. And all the sexual harassment stuff, which you mentioned, should be a non-starter for pretty much any franchise, but especially in Phoenix fresh off running their owner for similar shit. 

Like I said, they have a small window. Durant will be 35 when the season starts and he hasn't been able to stay consistently healthy the last few years. Beal just turned 30 but his numbers have been on the decline for a few years now. Ayton is a bum on a bad contract they can't move. Good luck with all that.

Look at their future draft capital after their most recent moves. It's an abject disaster. They better fucking hope Isiah is a drafting genius because they are going to be picking at the bottom of the first round and most likely, deep into the second. Good luck finding value with Denver's SRP next year. The NBA is going to have to revise the Stepien Rule to make the Ishbia Rule:

First? YES — least favorable of their own, Washington (if 13-30) or Memphis
Second? YES — Denver’s

First? NO
Second? YES — Pelicans’

First? YES — least favorable of their own, Washington (if not coveyed to NY in a separate deal) or Orlando
Second? YES — least favorable of Detroit, Orlando or Milwaukee

First? NO
Second? NO

First? YES — least favorable of their own, Washington, Philadelphia (if 9-30) or Brooklyn
Second? YES (2) — Memphis’ AND Boston’s (if 46-60)

First? NO
Second? YES — Memphis

First? YES — least favorable of their own, Washington or Memphis
Second? NO

Again, the Curry deal, the Starbury deal and others were because he wasnt allowed to burn it to the ground and start over.   It was always trying to patch up what was already fucked.   Sometimes you have to take your medicine and let shit go.  Did he give up too much for Curry?   Sure!!!   Unconscionable in hindsight but it was done to try and keep them as a playoff team instead of letting the shit go bad and build for a few yrs down the road.

All that said, I dont even think that Zeke is driving force behind all of this.   James Jones has proven to be a very good GM.  With him minding the cap info I think they will be fine for the most part.    They are clearly too top heavy and consequently very susceptible to an injury to their main guys torpedoing their season. 

48 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

That is a bold, bold statement.

I grew up in the D in the 80's, sue me.

The responses to this are pretty wild.    I dont know that a superstar MVP level player has ever gotten softer treatment from the media and fans.  Everyone is acting like PHI has done him wrong when his bitch ass has failed spectacularly many times.   PHI not getting past the 2nd round is almost totally on him failing the team.    The org definitely has fucked up plenty but they have not failed him.

Edited by d2o
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2023 at 12:04 AM, ztejas said:

How fucking retarded are we getting as a society? Apparently Sabrina Ionescu just broke a bunch of NBA 3 point contest records despite never playing a game in the NBA.

On 7/15/2023 at 11:23 AM, shadow_operative said:

yeah, but what's extra retarded is trying to claim that she broke some sort of nba record. you think we'll be hearing about any nba players breaking any wnba records any time soon?

There’s no good reason, ever, that either of you should be using the r word. It’s beyond offensive to see here or anywhere else. One of you has been open about mental health issues and to see you using that word is embarrassing. Find better words to use or just say you think the author is really reaching to compare it to the NBA contest. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, d2o said:

The responses to this are pretty wild.    I dont know that a superstar MVP level player has ever gotten softer treatment from the media and fans.  Everyone is acting like PHI has done him wrong when his bitch ass has failed spectacularly many times.   PHI not getting past the 2nd round is almost totally on him failing the team.    The org definitely has fucked up plenty but they have not failed him.

He is just begging to be sent to play for the Knicks where everything ends well and he’d surely rack up all the titles he could ever hope for. He’s lucky that he has such a forgiving fanbase as well in Philly that could totally understand him wanting to play elsewhere. 

On 7/5/2023 at 2:49 PM, Chewbacca said:

He has serious work ethic problems.  That's why the Nuggets got rid of him.

And like clockwork Phoenix came to his rescue. I am sure we will hear quotes about his excitement of playing with Durant and how he has never worked harder during camp. He may well drop the laziness and become a viable rotation piece, but history usually dictates otherwise. He needs a swift kick in the proverbial backside to get him to realize he is one pouting fit away from plying his trade in a backcourt shared by Manny Pacquiao.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

There’s no good reason, ever, that either of you should be using the r word. It’s beyond offensive to see here or anywhere else. One of you has been open about mental health issues and to see you using that word is embarrassing. Find better words to use or just say you think the author is really reaching to compare it to the NBA contest. 

and ftr, the word retarded is literally the same as the words stupid/moronic/idiotic/etc. also, context matters. of all the things in the world that are "beyond offensive", saying the word "retarded" (assuming you aren't actually disparaging a mentally handicapped person) is not one of them. particularly here on surly. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I don’t think you know what literally means 

actually i'm one of the few people who does know what it means and who uses it correctly. retarded is literally the latest version of idiot/moron/imbecile/etc. no matter what word they change it to that word will eventually become slang for "stupid". it's an actual phenomenon. so yes, retard is *literally* the same word as idiot/moron/imbecile. you can continue to choose to be offended by its use, but that won't change anything. and ftr, choosing to be offended by something so insignificant (or anything else really) is retarded.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Fuck You 1

no one here is *literally* offended by the word.  we're just telling you that its uncool to keep using that word in the way you are using it, just as we would if you used the word "faggot" or the n-word.  but if its so important to you to keep using it, just keep doing you man.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

no one here is *literally* offended by the word.  we're just telling you that its uncool to keep using that word in the way you are using it, just as we would if you used the word "faggot" or the n-word.  but if its so important to you to keep using it, just keep doing you man.

first off it's not the same as either of those words. not even close. people haven't been killing/enslaving/attacking/persecuting retarded people em masse for centuries. it's not a slur against that group of people. again, it's *literally* just the most recent version of stupid/idiotic/imbecile/moron/etc. your analogy is way off.

second, you and @Js1 have witnessed people directly being horrible to me in regards (lol, regards) to my mental illness about a million times and neither of you has ever said a word in my defense when that's happened. never.

"oh, i know someone who is mentally disabled so someone calling something 'retarded' is just super offensive to me, but i don't know derka, so telling him to OD and die is cool." 👌🏼 fuck outta here with this selective moral outrage.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Fuck You 1