NBA 2023-24 Off Season

Fastbreak

3 hours ago, Bartles said:

The Process DID work, they just fucked up some of the picks, and had the misfortune of two overall No 1's who for whatever reason completely lost their will to play the sport. Even with all that, the Jimmy Butler team was right there with the Kawhi Raptors and were good enough to win the trophy. A couple other teams, including last year, were maybe Finals worthy but wouldn't have won it.

Some fans here in Philly complained at the time, but they actually built a very loyal following both for "Process guys" like Covington and McConnell, along with the new draft picks (even Fultz and Ben). The fans feel more fucked over by the NBA for forcing Hinkie out and sticking us with Colangelo.

By now, be it karma or whatever, the wheels are off and there is no competent leadership. The owners have been distracted by Fanatics, crypto/NFT/metaverse, the Redskins and now trying to build a new arena. Embiid remains a great player and hilarious troll. But he and the team are headed for some down years.

I guess we have different definitions of "work" but I disagree.     Not even making the ECF is not a success.  They got one franchise player out of all those picks and even he either flames out or peters out every yr when they need him most.  What good is getting the picks if your scouting is shit and you waste them?   The Fultz pick was especially bad. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, d2o said:

I guess we have different definitions of "work" but I disagree.     Not even making the ECF is not a success.  They got one franchise player out of all those picks and even he either flames out or peters out every yr when they need him most.  What good is getting the picks if your scouting is shit and you waste them?   The Fultz pick was especially bad. 

Makes sense. I mean the Process worked as far as getting the team the picks needed to build a contender within a few years. It's just that the people making decisions fucked it all up.

Relatedly, the Houston folks on here were spot on when warning about Harden and Morey. This has not been fun. Even when Harden would ball out, you could never see him riding in a parade in Philly. 

The Harden/Morey thing is sad. If Harden said he wants to go to the Clippers, but they don't want to trade for him, what is Morey supposed to do?  You can't force a trade to happen, and the number of teams interested in him at 35m for 1 year is probably zero.  Once a team fails to perform up to expectations and they want to tank the rest of the way, trading for his expiring deal and buyout might be attractive, but that's several months away.  

16 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

The Harden/Morey thing is sad. If Harden said he wants to go to the Clippers, but they don't want to trade for him, what is Morey supposed to do?  You can't force a trade to happen, and the number of teams interested in him at 35m for 1 year is probably zero.  Once a team fails to perform up to expectations and they want to tank the rest of the way, trading for his expiring deal and buyout might be attractive, but that's several months away.  

It's representative of why giving players all the power is shitty for the league overall.

20 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Lebron James

Knew that’d get some people

Hide contents

michael redd

It took me a minute to figure it out. 

Is this the 2008 team?  Cause I definitely don't remember Boozer on the squad. 

20 minutes ago, Kermit said:

This is factually accurate and acceptable.

In hindsight, I think it was probably a little unfair to Elgin Baylor and whoever the fuck it was in Minnesota that pulled the trigger on the Rudy Gobert trade to call Lebron the worst GM in NBA history. But yes, I tried to be as accurate as possible.

34 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

In hindsight, I think it was probably a little unfair to Elgin Baylor and whoever the fuck it was in Minnesota that pulled the trigger on the Rudy Gobert trade to call Lebron the worst GM in NBA history. But yes, I tried to be as accurate as possible.

Don’t forget David Kahn. That’s two for Minnesota. 

8 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
On 8/24/2023 at 7:49 PM, Vic Mackey said:
.63d235c480f17fa8475e0e45d4ee8cc8.jpg

The only time in Melo's career that he decided he would play defense.

That’s my favorite part of the Melo story: his sacrifice to defend for his country. But only in FIBA games. Never any other time. FIBA, defense and rebounding, every other time, no defense. And he’s lauded for it. 

• Like 1

That’s my favorite part of the Melo story: his sacrifice to defend for his country. But only in FIBA games. Never any other time. FIBA, defense and rebounding, every other time, no defense. And he’s lauded for it. 
Pissed me off big time. He showed that he could play defense, he just chose not to.

This whole Giannis not signing an extension thing is eye brow raising.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/38253377/giannis-antetokounmpo-sign-extension-title-commitment-bucks

"Next summer it would make more sense for both parties. Even then, I don't know," Antetokounmpo said in the interview. "I would not be the best version of myself if I don't know that everybody's on the same page, everybody's going for a championship, everybody's going to sacrifice time away from their family like I do. And if I don't feel that, I'm not signing."

"At the end of the day, I feel like all my teammates know and the organization knows that I want to win a championship," he told The Times. "As long as we're on the same page with that and you show me and we go together to win a championship, I'm all for it. The moment I feel like, 'Oh, yeah, we're trying to rebuild' ... there will never be hard feelings with the Milwaukee Bucks."

The Bucks core outside of him (28 years old) is aging (Holiday = 33, Middleton = 32, Lopez = 35) and carries a big cap number (#5 payroll in the league).  They owe the Pelicans first round picks and swaps from the Holiday trade in 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027. They don't have any promising young talent in the pipeline. Milwaukee isn't exactly a free agent destination. I'm not sure how they rebuild around him on the fly.

It's going to be a challenge for them to be championship contenders at the time he can opt out of his contract (after 2025). It's easy to envision a scenario where they play it out this season and then move him next Summer for a zillion picks and go total rebuild. Crazier shit has happened in this league.

6 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I can't believe that was 20 years ago. I was in NY when it happened. The blackout hit between the time my plane landed and before we got into the cab. Shit was crazy that day.

“I seen the lights go out on broadway…” 

I keep telling myself I need to check Rucker Park out during any visit to nyc. The stories from there when Dr J played at Rucker are incredible. 

6 hours ago, Blotto said:

At first I was wondering wtf Telfair was doing in that group, but then I looked up his stats and realized it was when he was still in HS and I'm sure bigly hyped on the NYC scene. 

He was hyped almost as much as LBJ at the time.     

Sebastian Telfair Metal Print featuring the photograph Sebastian Telfair & LeBron James: The Takeover SLAM Cover by Clay Patrick McBride

15 hours ago, d2o said:

He was hyped almost as much as LBJ at the time.     

Sebastian Telfair Metal Print featuring the photograph Sebastian Telfair & LeBron James: The Takeover SLAM Cover by Clay Patrick McBride

in the 5 boroughs during 03, 04 sebastian telfair was actually getting talked about more than lebron.  not that they thought he was better than lebron, but everyone was talking about him-  from hawkers in chinatown to doormen on the upper west side you couldn't escape the frenzy.  point guards have a way of capturing their imagination. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Christian Wood to the Lake show for pretty cheap. If he can be the 8th man (without being a bitch) then their team is pretty salty.

6 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

8th team entering his 9th year. Not sure why it’d take him 2 months after free agency began to sign with a team.

Nobody was willing to commit much guaranteed money to an unreliable headcase who doesn't play defense. But he's a talented guy who can play. Very low risk, high reward for the Lakers who really had an outstanding off season. Unless I'm forgetting about someone, that's the deepest team in the league.

What a roster overhaul since the trade deadline. They completely unfucked themselves out of the Westbrook deal. 

This was their team:
Lebron James
Anthony Davis
Dennis Schroder
Russell Westbrook
Austin Reeves
Thomas Bryant
Troy Brown Jr
Lonnie Walker
Kendrick Nunn
Juan Toscano-Anderson
Damian Jones