Tourist Trip to Titanic Terribly Turns Tragic

MrBig

12 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The Logitech thing looked janky and let me be super clear—- it is absolutely something that must be memed.

But this thing and the souls on board basically blipped out of existence.  Which is weird as fuck to think about. The controller had shit to do with that. 

True, that we know of. But its flawed setup (going wireless) reflected and encapsulated the engineering malpractice throughout the design of this project, an unconscionable approach that Rush deliberately pursued.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Thanks I thought I’d book my first class ticket to hell early since flying has been such a bitch these days.

wait...

you paid for FIRST class?

devil only offered me coach seats when I sold my soul to him!

that fucker...

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

I think the video game controller thing is a bit stupid.  All modern day submarines use an Xbox controller or a PlayStation controller.  They found it easier to use since everyone is familiar with it and way better than the 20k controller Lockheed Martin was selling us.

The design of the thing is what people should be harping on.  There are things called cyclic stresses.  Yeah that thing may have been able to go once or twice to those depths.  I guess third time wasn't the charm.

As far as the coast guard.  We like to make fun of them but they do a lot of shit that no one talks about 

It's not that they used a controller so much as that they used a Bluetooth controller. 

Edit: I should refresh the thread before replying.

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So, the youngest occupant was Suleman Dawood, a university student at Strathclyde, just up the road from where my son is in school in Glasgow.  So last night, I came up with a pitch that I'm going to suggest to him.

Head to a pub near the university.  Sit at the bar, drinking, looking forlorn, periodically looking down with his head in his hands.  Maybe even muster up some tears.  He's a young, good looking guy....so when some girl decides to come over and ask "what's wrong?", you give her the spiel: "I'm sorry....I just....I can't believe he's gone.  My friend Suleman was on the submersible that was lost over the Titanic.  He was such a good guy, and now he's gone.  I just...I can't...." and then when she interrupts to tell you how awful it is, you hit her with the "I came here to be alone with my thoughts....but now I'm thinking I shouldn't be alone right now."

In other words....run the old Fawn Leibowitz on em!  It's guaranteed to work!

Should work as long as you tell him to leave out the "I used to touch Suleman this way" part. NTTATWWT.

• Haha 3

I’d like to pitch my own film. Fast and the Furious 10000 Leagues Under the Sea. 

My catch phrase: The ONLY thing deeper than family is the Titanic.

I can start work on some posters. I feel this will be a huge hit. They already have Aquaman as part of the franchise. 

IMG_6745.jpeg

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, FartingMonk said:

The design of the thing is what people should be harping on.  There are things called cyclic stresses.  Yeah that thing may have been able to go once or twice to those depths.  I guess third time wasn't the charm.

I would be very surprised if this turned out to be a fatigue issue.  Maybe, but I suspect the hull might have gotten dinged, making it more susceptible to buckling, or a hatch failed, or there was material compromise due to salt water exposure, etc.  Fatigue life is typically measured in well over a few cycles, even low cycle fatigue.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I’d like to pitch my own film. Fast and the Furious 10000 Leagues Under the Sea. 

My catch phrase: The ONLY thing deeper than family is the Titanic.

I can start work on some posters. I feel this will be a huge hit. They already have Aquaman as part of the franchise. 

IMG_6745.jpeg

Ludacris: Dom where are the oxygen tanks?

Dom: I replaced them with nitrous because I live my life a quarter mile at a time.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I would be very surprised if this turned out to be a fatigue issue.  Maybe, but I suspect the hull might have gotten dinged, making it more susceptible to buckling, or a hatch failed, or there was material compromise due to salt water exposure, etc.  Fatigue life is typically measured in well over a few cycles, even low cycle fatigue.

Or maybe there were supposed to be 18 bolts on the hatch instead of 17.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Buckling, delamination, or my favorite brittle fracture. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Eh, I've seen carbon delam in surprisingly few cycles. A minor delamination by the titanium interface would be lights out. Plus I don't have high confidence in these guys ability to deal with dissimilar materials

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So…did not buff out?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

i think glam metal band Winger had a song on that topic

Beavis & Butt-Head had a massive impact on pop culture following their debut in March 1993. Unfortunately for Winger, the dynamic animated duo also signaled an end to their career.

Former Winger guitarist Reb Beach touched on this in an interview on the In the Trenches podcast. When asked about whether Beavis & Butt-Head led to Winger disbanding in 1994, Beach said, “Absolutely, it did, hugely. As a matter of fact, we were on the road and we were selling out theaters. We were on the bus, and this kid said, ‘Hey, you guys got to see this cartoon. I brought you a VHS of it.'”

Beach continued, “And so we put this thing on the bus… In the cartoon, they hung this kid from his underwear from a tree. He was wearing a Winger t-shirt, and he was overweight… His name was Stuart, and he was in every episode. And then they went to his house, and his parents were wearing Winger t-shirts, and the dog was wearing a winger t-shirt, and they were all nerds [laughs].”

He added, “And so, we actually saw a direct result of that thing. In the weeks that followed, we had to cancel the tour because people wouldn’t be caught dead buying a ticket to a Winger show.”

https://wmmr.com/2023/01/24/beavis-butt-head-really-did-put-an-end-to-wingers-career/

• Haha 6

15 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Beavis & Butt-Head had a massive impact on pop culture following their debut in March 1993. Unfortunately for Winger, the dynamic animated duo also signaled an end to their career.

Former Winger guitarist Reb Beach touched on this in an interview on the In the Trenches podcast. When asked about whether Beavis & Butt-Head led to Winger disbanding in 1994, Beach said, “Absolutely, it did, hugely. As a matter of fact, we were on the road and we were selling out theaters. We were on the bus, and this kid said, ‘Hey, you guys got to see this cartoon. I brought you a VHS of it.'”

Beach continued, “And so we put this thing on the bus… In the cartoon, they hung this kid from his underwear from a tree. He was wearing a Winger t-shirt, and he was overweight… His name was Stuart, and he was in every episode. And then they went to his house, and his parents were wearing Winger t-shirts, and the dog was wearing a winger t-shirt, and they were all nerds [laughs].”

He added, “And so, we actually saw a direct result of that thing. In the weeks that followed, we had to cancel the tour because people wouldn’t be caught dead buying a ticket to a Winger show.”

https://wmmr.com/2023/01/24/beavis-butt-head-really-did-put-an-end-to-wingers-career/

That’s a great story. 

Show me your tits. 

6 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Most of this thread is morbid fascination or comic relief.  That's not quite the same tone as elsewhere in the web (and some here as well) with people actively cheering on their deaths.  Wishing for a torturous death, even. 

That's some sociopath depth that surly has not quite reached.

I didn't wish these people ill, and I don't think anything I posted in this thread contradicts that statement.  But I found the amount of hubris on display from the CEO pretty off-putting.  For the rest of them (other than that guy's son who apparently didn't want to go in the first place), I found it to be mind-bogglingly stupid that they thought that (1) that sub was up to the task of getting them down and back safely and (2) the juice of seeing the wreckage through that porthole was worth the squeeze.   Plus, if there's an important rule of survival, its just that you don't fuck with the ocean.  There are just so many ways that it can kill you.  They failed to respect that rule.  As a result, my empathy levels were a bit diluted.  And the rest is just my being Surly. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Yes, but... get this... those ships use a wired connection. They're not going wireless, where you might get a disconnect, run out of batteries, etc etc.

Lots of interference in the 2.4ghz frequency spectrum once youre in a faraday cage 3 miles below the surface

6 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Most of this thread is morbid fascination

pretty meta...given that we're talking about people that were willing to risk a horrible death in a pretend submarine with harold hill in order to go look through a piece of glass at the 100 year old remnants of a horrific tragedy at the bottom of the ocean.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

car-explodes.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

The real tragedy in all of this is the fact that I tried to stream James Cameron's "The Abyss" yesterday after the Wake v. LSU game.

You can't!

No streaming service has that shit. It's 2023 and you can't find it anywhere. What is this?

Just the fucking worst.

• Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

In part 3 (I think) of that video series that guy did last year, did I read they were letting him pilot it in a shallow test run and he hit a rock?  I stopped after the first video.  But I could have sworn someone posted that.

2 minutes ago, dcbc said:

In part 3 (I think) of that video series that guy did last year, did I read they were letting him pilot it in a shallow test run and he hit a rock?  I stopped after the first video.  But I could have sworn someone posted that.

That would be an interesting turn of events.  Any significant deviation in hull geometry could make it much more susceptible to buckling.  Was this the first deep dive since then?

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That would be an interesting turn of events.  Any significant deviation in hull geometry could make it much more susceptible to buckling.  Was this the first deep dive since then?

I don't know.  I'll have to find the video and watch. I want to say they'd made it to the wreckage twice before this attempt.  I asked a couple of days ago about how many times they'd been down there and never got an answer.  Then, I laughed at fifty posts in a row and forgot about it.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So, the youngest occupant was Suleman Dawood, a university student at Strathclyde, just up the road from where my son is in school in Glasgow.  So last night, I came up with a pitch that I'm going to suggest to him.

Head to a pub near the university.  Sit at the bar, drinking, looking forlorn, periodically looking down with his head in his hands.  Maybe even muster up some tears.  He's a young, good looking guy....so when some girl decides to come over and ask "what's wrong?", you give her the spiel: "I'm sorry....I just....I can't believe he's gone.  My friend Suleman was on the submersible that was lost over the Titanic.  He was such a good guy, and now he's gone.  I just...I can't...." and then when she interrupts to tell you how awful it is, you hit her with the "I came here to be alone with my thoughts....but now I'm thinking I shouldn't be alone right now."

In other words....run the old Fawn Leibowitz on em!  It's guaranteed to work!

First, if he's good looking then I assume he favors his mother.

Second, see if she can also get dates for his three friends.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, MrBig said:

The OceanGate CEO, Stockton Rush, has a net worth ranging from $12M to $25M. I thought he was a billionaire too. Those billionaires should have known better than to trust a millionaire. 

I think it's no longer presumptive to use past tense.

• Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, the Mexican dude hit a rock. Looking into the country I am sure they had the best people looking at it. "Hey Joe, got any bondo and flex seal?" 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I don't know.  I'll have to find the video and watch. I want to say they'd made it to the wreckage twice before this attempt.  I asked a couple of days ago about how many times they'd been down there and never got an answer.  Then, I laughed at fifty posts in a row and forgot about it.

How many times has the Titan gone to the Titanic?

The Titan has made the voyage to the Titanic three times, once a year since 2021.

https://metro.co.uk/2023/06/22/how-many-times-has-the-titan-gone-to-the-titanic-and-how-deep-is-the-wreck-18994926/

Google is our friend. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yeah, the Mexican dude hit a rock. Looking into the country I am sure they had the best people looking at it. "Hey Joe, got any bondo and flex seal?" 

If they hit a rock, surfaced, did a half-assed "repair" and then never subjected the vessel to an (unmanned?) deep dive or pressure test before last week, yeah, that could lead to a catastrophic failure due to compressive loads at depth.  I'm not saying that's what happened, but it's certainly a possibility.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Lots of interference in the 2.4ghz frequency spectrum once youre in a faraday cage 3 miles below the surface

1. you think this thing had a faraday cage, when it depends upon wireless communication with the surface? or given anything about how it was built?

2. you're forgetting one of the most common forms of RF blocking -- large, mobile bags of water, of which this sub had 5