Tourist Trip to Titanic Terribly Turns Tragic

MrBig

Has the mythbusters video of a simulated body impacted by 150psi imploding been shown? Pressure at the titanic is 5000-6000 psi if not mistaken. They assembled a body double from pig parts and put it in a suit then depressurized it under water and the flesh and bones just turned to red soup. They had a half second to know they were toast then boom they liquified. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I did like the broader Cameron take, and he explains that deep sea exploration is a mature technology and we know how to do it. There’s been an incredible safety record since the 1960s. And you can expand that even into Western militaries. In the 2000s, there hasn’t been a single USN fatality due to a technical failure of hulls or critical systems underwater. The submarines work. Collisions are another matter. 

So we know how to do this and certify this and build this. But it’s expensive and costly and hard. It turns out that moving fast and breaking things 2.5 miles underwater means that you…..break things fast. The mentality of this organization from the outset created this problem. 

100% this! It was the mentality of the organization and in particular Mr Rush. I loathe the Daily Fail but this article…OMG! I was having a hard time figuring out how to post the published texts between Rush and a Las Vegas “tycoon” (his son was also slated to go on the doomed voyage but raised concerns about the safety.) wealthy dude and son back out and his tickets go to the other doomed travelers. Rush even offered them a discount. Holy fuck that’s an awful read…

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12225963/Tycoon-gave-seats-doomed-Titanic-sub-Pakistani-businessman-teenage-son.html

Stockton’s text to Bloom the Tycoon…I tried and kinda failed at getting the whole conversation but Rush’s texts are in white.

IMG_6741.jpeg

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

It’s not considered a top 10 of all time by most people so yes, underrated. It deserves to be up there with Casablanca and Gone with the Wind. 

Both those movies suck, so I don't see a film critic career in your future.  You should just go to law school.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

100% this! It was the mentality of the organization and in particular Mr Rush. I loathe the Daily Fail but this article…OMG! I was having a hard time figuring out how to post the published texts between Rush and a Las Vegas “tycoon” (his son was also slated to go on the doomed voyage but raised concerns about the safety.) wealthy dude and son back out and his tickets go to the other doomed travelers. Rush even offered them a discount. Holy fuck that’s an awful read…

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12225963/Tycoon-gave-seats-doomed-Titanic-sub-Pakistani-businessman-teenage-son.html

Stockton’s text to Bloom the Tycoon…I tried and kinda failed at getting the whole conversation but Rush’s texts are in white.

IMG_6741.jpeg

He was concerned about stupid stuff, and not the biggest danger, but it did save his life. 

• Hook 'Em 8

I don't recall us Surlyans (Surlyites?) piling on the deaths of others quite like this.  But when it comes to rich fucks playing stupid games, it just doesn't feel inappropriate.

9 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Around here it's more like

cop-jerk.gif

That came up in my gif search.  But some of us around here have class.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I don't recall us Surlyans (Surlyites?) piling on the deaths of others quite like this.  But when it comes to rich fucks playing stupid games, it just doesn't feel inappropriate.

That came up in my gif search.  But some of us around here have class.

Because these were rich dumbasses.  If they had been poor dumbasses that found the Willy Wonka golden tickets they would be brave explorers and their relatives would be rich with Gofundme money.   

3 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Because these were rich dumbasses.  If they had been poor dumbasses that found the Willy Wonka golden tickets they would be brave explorers and their relatives would be rich with Gofundme money.   

Correct. It's quite literally the most fuck around and find out moment of recent history.

Or at least the past four days.

Involving the insanely wealthy full of extraordinary hubris.

This thread kinda let them off easy, really.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

But it’s expensive and costly and hard. It turns out that moving fast and breaking things 2.5 miles underwater means that you…..break things fast. The mentality of this organization from the outset created this problem. 

not the way I would choose to see a CEO implode upon applying "agile" tech thinking to different industries but hey

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Most of this thread is morbid fascination or comic relief.  That's not quite the same tone as elsewhere in the web (and some here as well) with people actively cheering on their deaths.  Wishing for a torturous death, even. 

That's some sociopath depth that surly has not quite reached.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I cannot disagree with this more strongly.

I absolutely want to make light of this tragedy.

As I said yesterday... this was always a recovery operation, not rescue.

Actually it was neither, it was always a confirmation operation.   Unless of course they decide to recover the 17 bolts

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Most of this thread is morbid fascination or comic relief.  That's not quite the same tone as elsewhere in the web (and some here as well) with people actively cheering on their deaths.  Wishing for a torturous death, even. 

That's some sociopath depth that surly has not quite reached.

The day is young.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Was doing internetin' last night and learned that Alvin has been around since the 1960s and is still in operation today. It's done thousands of dives (although it has be refurbed). It was also made my General Mills (that doesn't seem right).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSV_Alvin

HOV Alvin - Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution

It's not right.

It was made by Quaker Oats.

spacer.png

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Was doing internetin' last night and learned that Alvin has been around since the 1960s and is still in operation today. It's done thousands of dives (although it has be refurbed). It was also made my General Mills (that doesn't seem right).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSV_Alvin

HOV Alvin - Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution

Wow it even survived being accidentally sunk in 5000 ft of water (thankfully they all got out) and was recovered by a sub built by Reynolds (yeah the aluminum foil people) company. Pretty neat stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Was the Oceansgate sub a cereal giveaway? 

I assume due to size it was a box top redemption 

"Hey, man, I know you got this thing out of a comic book. I saw the ad 2.95. It was right next to the sea monkeys."

katt.jpg

• Haha 4