Tourist Trip to Titanic Terribly Turns Tragic

MrBig

47 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Was doing internetin' last night and learned that Alvin has been around since the 1960s and is still in operation today. It's done thousands of dives (although it has be refurbed). It was also made my General Mills (that doesn't seem right).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSV_Alvin

HOV Alvin - Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution

I bet their chief engineer didn't laugh about how fast he put it together.  

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

I don't recall us Surlyans (Surlyites?) piling on the deaths of others quite like this.  But when it comes to rich fucks playing stupid games, it just doesn't feel inappropriate.

That came up in my gif search.  But some of us around here have class.

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

So this occupied a weeks worth of dumbfuckery on surly, what do we do next?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I probably feel a little sorry for them, but money changes you and that kind of money makes you think the rules of even nature don't apply to you. put you hand on a hot stove, it burns you no matter your net worth. it's sad they FAFO but it was one of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen and I scuba and would consider a sub trip if I could afford it at a reasonable depth and with a real sub that is safety and OEM certified not some playstation bullshit. for the record I can't afford it.

• Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Buddy of mine from the CG was on a boat doing drug interdiction in Colombia.

Yep, worked with them across the Persian Gulf and they did the Riverine programs (training) in the East Slope of the Andes. Mainly Peru and Bolivia. 

Buddy is senior retired. Worked all over Africa and the Middle East. Lot more than just checking weekend yachts off Martha's Vineyard for life preservers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Buddy of mine from the CG was on a boat doing drug interdiction in Colombia.

I was on one doing fisheries patrols in the Bering Sea. We had a Seal Team on from time to time but they were called Marine Biologists and their Lab was locked tighter than CIC.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So, the youngest occupant was Suleman Dawood, a university student at Strathclyde, just up the road from where my son is in school in Glasgow.  So last night, I came up with a pitch that I'm going to suggest to him.

Head to a pub near the university.  Sit at the bar, drinking, looking forlorn, periodically looking down with his head in his hands.  Maybe even muster up some tears.  He's a young, good looking guy....so when some girl decides to come over and ask "what's wrong?", you give her the spiel: "I'm sorry....I just....I can't believe he's gone.  My friend Suleman was on the submersible that was lost over the Titanic.  He was such a good guy, and now he's gone.  I just...I can't...." and then when she interrupts to tell you how awful it is, you hit her with the "I came here to be alone with my thoughts....but now I'm thinking I shouldn't be alone right now."

In other words....run the old Fawn Leibowitz on em!  It's guaranteed to work!

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bkh4zv2uwk4r5ybn9c65

• Haha 2

If I had that kind of spare cash (currently I’m convinced I can build my own lol) I’d probably buy this one. It’s got a James Bond sort of cache to it. Plus, rolling up to the hot spots on Lake Travis people are sure to be curious about what the fuck you’re up to…

https://www.mysubmarines.com/luxury-submarines.html

IMG_6743.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Extra letters on the internet don't cost anything, and they seriously typed out "Plz"?

image.png.11ccd6a9b3d999bc598d8cb003812043.png

image.thumb.png.793a3bbeb1131486cb872007ce44bfa3.png

Not exactly the phrase I'd want to see in a submarine testimonial.  Stay far away.  There...I just saved your life, you're welcome.

Meh, memespeak and texting language is invading normal language. How many times have you heard somebody say LOL or lulz? This is how language evolves. It's not exactly formal, but if we required all business communications to speak with formal language, we would still be speaking like the King James Bible.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

So, the youngest occupant was Suleman Dawood, a university student at Strathclyde, just up the road from where my son is in school in Glasgow.  So last night, I came up with a pitch that I'm going to suggest to him.

Head to a pub near the university.  Sit at the bar, drinking, looking forlorn, periodically looking down with his head in his hands.  Maybe even muster up some tears.  He's a young, good looking guy....so when some girl decides to come over and ask "what's wrong?", you give her the spiel: "I'm sorry....I just....I can't believe he's gone.  My friend Suleman was on the submersible that was lost over the Titanic.  He was such a good guy, and now he's gone.  I just...I can't...." and then when she interrupts to tell you how awful it is, you hit her with the "I came here to be alone with my thoughts....but now I'm thinking I shouldn't be alone right now."

Shark Tank Writing GIF

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I have not kept up with this story at all.  How long were they scheduled to be down there, and how long were they actually down there when catastrophic failure occurred?

Thanks in advance Surly...

My understanding it that it was about 2-2.5 hours down, look around for 4-5 hours, and then up for 2-2.5 hours.

Implosion occurred around 1.5 hours into it I think, thought to be in around 8-10,000 feet of water.

12 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I have not kept up with this story at all.  How long were they scheduled to be down there, and how long were they actually down there when catastrophic failure occurred?

Do yourself a favor, and start from the beginning of the thread. I promise you won’t be disappointed, and you won’t care at all about the answers to these questions (but you will get them nevertheless).

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

I think the video game controller thing is a bit stupid.  All modern day submarines use an Xbox controller or a PlayStation controller.  They found it easier to use since everyone is familiar with it and way better than the 20k controller Lockheed Martin was selling us.

The design of the thing is what people should be harping on.  There are things called cyclic stresses.  Yeah that thing may have been able to go once or twice to those depths.  I guess third time wasn't the charm.

As far as the coast guard.  We like to make fun of them but they do a lot of shit that no one talks about 

• Hook 'Em 4

Dude…that was about as thrilling of a 4 day story that came straight out of a suspense movie.

I mean not exactly thrilling for those involved…but the rest of us…
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Just sit right back and you’ll hear a tale,

A tale of a tragic trip.

that started from the Polar Prince onto this janky Titan shit.

their pilot was a well known French dude.

the owner was a foolhardy stooge.

5 mission experts went under Sunday 

for what was a four plus hour tour

But one hour and forty five minutes in 

the tiny sub was lost.

if not for the courage of the surly crew all gallows humor would be lost. All gallows humor would be lost.

The sub imploded less than 2 hours in and no one but the Navy seemed to know.

Now there’s nothing left  of them but a small debris field of tiny junk.

less one thousand yards away from the unsinkable Titanic they found their final resting place.
In one catastrophic instant their bodies were squashed like grapes! 

Does that cover it? 

Excellently...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Wow. This is amazing. It would be more enjoyable if this kind of mindset was not ascendant when it comes to things with less immediate catastrophic potential than submarines. 

image.thumb.jpeg.3879120be9d68d1ff8d74314e62817f9.jpeg

And that's why the black hole submersible operated in international waters.  No need to follow such foolish recommendations.

1 minute ago, Native Horn said:

And that's why the black hole submersible operated in international waters.  No need to follow such foolish recommendations.

Yeah but those charlatans were operating Canadian flagged vessels, and who did they call when they thought they might need help?

Complain about redtape and regulations all you want, but when I'm out at a restaurant or boarding a jet, I'll take more regulation any day of the week.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

You really are a sick fucker, you know that? And I love you for it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

I think the video game controller thing is a bit stupid.  All modern day submarines use an Xbox controller or a PlayStation controller.  They found it easier to use since everyone is familiar with it and way better than the 20k controller Lockheed Martin was selling us.

Yes, but... get this... those ships use a wired connection. They're not going wireless, where you might get a disconnect, run out of batteries, etc etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Just sit right back and you’ll hear a tale,

A tale of a tragic trip.

that started from the Polar Prince onto this janky Titan shit.

their pilot was a well known French dude.

the owner was a foolhardy stooge.

5 mission experts went under Sunday 

for what was a four plus hour tour

But one hour and forty five minutes in 

the tiny sub was lost.

if not for the courage of the surly crew all gallows humor would be lost. All gallows humor would be lost.

The sub imploded less than 2 hours in and no one but the Navy seemed to know.

Now there’s nothing left  of them but a small debris field of tiny junk.

less one thousand yards away from the unsinkable Titanic they found their final resting place.
In one catastrophic millisecond their bodies were squashed like grapes! 

Does that cover it? 

Star Trek Eye Roll GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 2