Belgian Shotputter and Hammer Thrower Runs 100M Hurdles

TwiceHorn

Reminds me of a funny story.  One of my best friends in middle/high school was a hurdler.  As a childhood asthmatic, I hated running, so I had not even dabbled in any kind of track event, even though I was built for it.

But one day we were dicking around after school at the track and I was casually hopping the hurdles etc.  So my friend was like "try it, and, pro tip, you need to lean forward as you raise your leg over the hurdle."  So, I did, like one hurdle at a time and then decided to actually run the thing.

At about the third hurdle, I had kind of gotten the timing down, or so I thought, leaned forward and raised my leg, while going pretty good.

And bashed my face on my knee/thigh.  My nose exploded in blood.

• Haha 5
  • Drool 1

18 hours ago, Parliament said:

It's funny because she's fat.

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

That is awesome.   Team first.  Novel concept, huh?

Anyone one talking shit about her is a lame-assed cocksucker.  

Parliament ashamedly raises his hand.  I got too surly too fast.  Yeah she knew the internet was gonna make fun, and she did it anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Bevo said:

Would have been better if she actually tried

she did try, she tried not to hurt herself. also what was the point of her going balls out. it's not like she was going to remotely challenge the 2nd to last place finisher. she was going to finish last no matter how hard she tried. the goal was to secure the point, which she did.

i'm sure volunteers were asked of the entire team. it's cool that she was the one who raced it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Pretty fucking cool.  Cool chick, stepped up and helped her team.  I'd happily buy her a big old Belgian beer....with which she could surely outdrink me.  

Great story, thanks for posting.

Shadow_operative: Thanks but this has already been said in 23 previous posts.

• Haha 5
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Shadow_operative: Thanks but this has already been said in 23 previous posts.

Wrong one.

Regarding the story, hell yes.  It's not a reality show, she did it to keep her team in the meet.  I suppose there weren't any options for scoring points so it didn't matter, but I'd be fucking pissed if the high jumper or the 100m/200m chick begged off.

5 hours ago, crash_davis said:

i'm sure volunteers were asked of the entire team. it's cool that she was the one who raced it.

I wonder if she was the tallest woman on the team and took the race because she would be able to get over the hurdles "the easiest"?

Bummer they were relegated anyway.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Well go off and be an American then since you obviously don't appreciate everything that life in Belgium has provided you.

Pssh.  Belgium.  Not even a real country.  A hodgepodge of Flemish, Walloons, and Dutchmen with a shitty sense of direction.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, rpspeed said:

somebody need hurdle training?

spacer.png

"Workouts are determined by the athlete's age and experience level."

I can just imagine some Surly posters calling up, "hey, Callie, I'm a 50 year old dude who can run a mile at a brisk 15 minute pace. Can you put a workout together for me?"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, royiv said:

"Workouts are determined by the athlete's age and experience level."

I can just imagine some Surly posters calling up, "hey, Callie, I'm a 50 year old dude who can run a mile at a brisk 15 minute pace. Can you put a workout together for me?"

I'll let you know what she says 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...