Madonna intubated in ICU after being found unresponsive in NYC

shadow_operative

14 hours ago, sidis said:

beyonce, madonna, tay tay are all phenomenons.  i am conversant in madonna's 80's and 90's catalogues.  beyonce's 00's and '10's catalogue, and taylor's '14-present catalogue.  all have skills in their own rights.  madonna collided with and engaged cultural barriers in a way the other two did not regarding sexuality and female empowerment just as a result of timing.  the other two have benefited substantially from madonna's trailblazing.  beyonce undoubtedly encountered both significant challenges and a few benefits from her being african american.  bey is clearly the best dancer of the three.  taylor is easily the most talented of them musically and the best actual songwriter between them by a long, long shot and in terms of numbers, she is ridiculous to a point that is hard to fathom.  but despite her little dips here and there into controversy, she's fairly white bread though i suspect she would be the easiest to be around day to day...she seems like a class act unless you have been her boyfriend at any point.

justify my love madonna was pretty hot for sure.  i posted that video because 11 year old me probably discovered the pleasures of jerking it while watching that video and basic instinct in the early 90's.

dangerously in love beyonce is all-timer stuff...unbelievably melt your cock off hot.

taylor has been cute at times and will probably hold up best over time.

all i got.

Estes verdad. Todos.

Then one day she meets a John Holmes motherfucker, and it's like, whoa baby.

I mean, this cat is like Charles Bronson in "The Great Escape." He's diggin tunnels.
Now she's gettin' this serious dick action,
She's feelin something she ain't felt since forever. Pain. Pain...

It hurts. It hurts her. It shouldn't hurt.
You know, her pussy should be Bubble-Yum by now.

But when this cat fucks her, it hurts. It hurts like it did the first time.

You see the pain is reminding a fuck machine what is once like to be a virgin.
Hence, "Like a Virgin."

• Hook 'Em 3

That Cherish video along with the Justify Your Love video were significant influences on my development as a young lad. And the Open Your Heart video of her at the peep show and then running off with the kid…. I wanted to be that kid so bad.

Musically, in terms of craft, I’d put Like a Prayer and Ray of Light in the top 50 pop songs of all time. They’re both just perfectly constructed and recorded songs.

And I agree Taylor is a phenomenon and super talented (voice aside) but Madonna was just magnetic and explosive, especially at the time. Beyoncé is talented but just strikes me as too manufactured. But she’s also probably the best singer and dancer of the three.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

I’d put Like a Prayer and Ray of Light in the top 50 pop songs of all time

Like a Prayer for sure. I actually heard it this morning.  The song, the video, just amazing.

Material Girl, Open Your Heart, Who's That Girl, Express Yourself.... Just monumental pop songs.

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

Beyoncé is talented but just strikes me as too manufactured. But she’s also probably the best singer and dancer of the three.

No way is she a better dancer than Madonna.  She clumps around.  Madonna received a dance scholarship to the University of Michigan.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

No way is she a better dancer than Madonna.  She clumps around.  Madonna received a dance scholarship to the University of Michigan.

i don't think this is a thread to get into it (and I'm not the person to get into it) and I don't attribute any... whatever to what you are saying but there's a lot you could talk about there

separately, and my point from before - 

I don't think that before Beyonce there is a person from the race/r&b charts that would get compared casually to Madonna and Tay Tay. Or who any 11 year old girl from the time would look at and think "she is similar to a Taylor Swift or a Katy Perry". That is a different thing than her vocal/dancing/songwriting acumen but it is incredibly important, culturally.

Just now, Celery Man said:

i don't think this is a thread to get into it (and I'm not the person to get into it) and I don't attribute any... whatever to what you are saying but there's a lot you could talk about there

No hidden agenda.  I just don't like her dancing.  She is easily the best singer of the three, in my opinion.

yeah I super duper don't think that there is anything behind what you're saying there, and you may be 100% correct (I am not about to judge dancing). the thing I'm alluding to is that saying "more graceful" "classically trained" and "received scholarship" is just a 1 2 3 punch of "stuff". The big nit that I think some might pick is the clumping around bit and how.... just say the video from single ladies, it's not about grace or fluidity, that's not what it is supposed to be.

3 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

just say the video from single ladies, it's not about grace or fluidity, that's not what it is supposed to be.

Yeah, for me it's a matter of just not liking her choreography.  I always thought Madonna's was pretty cool.

I distinctly remember being surprised at the improvement in Madonna's singing when she did "Evita".  I never knew if it was just autotune coming into vogue (pun intended), though.

• Hook 'Em 2

I did not know that. Maybe I’ve been underestimating all along. And/or overestimating Beyoncé. It just seems Beyoncé had bigger stage presence vs Madonna more “sexy style” dancing.

But then again, I’m completely talking out of my ass.

15 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

I did not know that. Maybe I’ve been underestimating all along. And/or overestimating Beyoncé. It just seems Beyoncé had bigger stage presence vs Madonna more “sexy style” dancing.

But then again, I’m completely talking out of my ass.

😂

Ummm… no.

Madonna is like an omnipotent narcissist up on stage shouting “Look at me! I’m the greatest spectacle in the world!”

Beyonce seems to be directed to do stuff. (Or at least in the first half of her career.) More akin to a smarter Britney Spears when it came to stage presence. (I will admit to never having seen either Britney or Beyoncé in concert.)

I saw Madonna in 1987 (Texas Stadium) and then again in 2008 (River Plate Stadium, Buenos Aires, Argentina), when I took a young English lady who wasn’t even born yet in 1987. IMG_4159.jpeg.d00e77ee45d9bc8b2fc9a755ad560dda.jpeg

IMG_4158.jpeg.5ba15fa65cd7e3341399d3e1ca38bfb5.jpeg

…so sassy & smart… (Oxford language student - Spanish & French - on her gap year spending a semester in Argentina to practice her Spanish.)

37 minutes ago, G650 said:

Diana Ross would like a word.

I saw Diana Ross at a Ralph’s grocery store in Beverly Hills about 2 decades ago. Definitely older, but with a big smile when a store employee her loudly said “Hello Ms. Ross” upon her pushing her cart into the store. 
#Legend

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Beyoncé is maybe the next closest thing in terms of famous pop star, and maybe equally impactful if you think of her as being the entity that ultimately finished Elvis’ work and bridged the white and black charts. But there’s just not anything comparable to what Madonna was. Certainly not since then.

Forgive me if this brought up down the thread, but I disagree about not being anything comparable to what Madonna was. You only have to look as far as Stefanie Germanotta aka Lady Gaga:

- Both are classically unattractive, especially by Hollywood/Music Business standards yet both were able to culminate a huge fan base by selling their unique sex/sexiness

- Both were very provocative (e.g. Madonna's coffee table book of sex, Gaga's Meat Dress, etc. etc. etc.) and unconventional outside of their music

- Both had raving fans and achieved cult status for the most dedicated (e.g. Gaga's "Monsters")

- Both have a heart and deep reverence (and fandom) for those that came before them (e.g. Madonna with her adoration of Barbara Streisand and Gaga with LIza Minelli, Tony Bennett, etc.)

- They both tried to get into acting with a modicum of success

And I mean, Madonna literally hated Gaga for a while because she felt the "Born This Way" song was reductive and a blatant rip off of her song "Express Yourself".

They have probably sold about the same and grossed around the same with touring and popularity.

I mean they are the same person filling the same void in the same model just different generations.

• Hook 'Em 1

Pretty fascinating story about the making of “Vogue” here from legendary DJ/producer Shep Pettibone. I’d argue that the “Vogue” video by David Fincher (and the complementary but  completely different take on it at the MTV Video Music Awards) are the most iconic single thing Madonna did in a career full of iconic moments. 

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/vogue-producer-shep-pettibone-interview-6575923/amp/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sasquatch69 said:

I’d argue that the “Vogue” video by David Fincher (and the complementary but  completely different take on it at the MTV Video Music Awards) are the most iconic single thing Madonna did in a career full of iconic moments. 

Hmmm . . . more "iconic" than the Like A Virgin performance on the 1984 VMAs?  That one completely rocked the world.  It was damn near Michael Jackson's moonwalk.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 3:31 PM, Celery Man said:

I think Swift has killed everyone in terms of record/concert/etc numbers, and it’s because she’s extremely hardworking and talented, etc. I don’t know if culturally Swift has ever been quite what Madonna was in terms of the… Elvis factor of it all.

but it’s also hard for me to say as an elder millennial who was still a little kid when Madonna was Madonna

Peak Madonna (late 80's/early 90's) was perhaps the hottest woman on the planet. She just oozed sex. Dirty sex.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Hmmm . . . more "iconic" than the Like A Virgin performance on the 1984 VMAs?  That one completely rocked the world.  It was damn near Michael Jackson's moonwalk.

Like a Prayer video kills both. One of the most transgressive moments ever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Plus, people weren’t able to silo where they got information as much back then

To me, this is why it will never be the same. That kind of mass culture just doesn't exist anymore.

• Hook 'Em 2

About 15 years ago, Madonna reportedly shopped around the idea of her starring in an updated production of Casablanca with her as Ilsa and Ashton Kucher as Rick. To the shock of absolutely no one, every studio passed on this idea. 

I'm 53 and Madonna exploded while I was in high school. I'm one of those who never got her appeal at all. I think Ray of Light is the only song she's ever recorded that I actually enjoy hearing. But to each their own.

I was never a fan of her music, but she was popular when I was in high school and my first openly gay friend loved her.  That was when Vogue was really big.  I had been raised in an extremely conservative and religious household and didn't "know" any gay people.  When I found out my friend was gay, it shocked me and I immediately didn't want to hang out with him anymore. After a few weeks, I came to realize that I was being ridiculous and we've been friends ever since.  Madonna was always pushing those sexual boundaries and I've always associated her with that time in my life that I became a much more tolerant person about sexuality.  She wasn't the first to push those boundaries, but she did so during some very formative years for me.  I don't really like her music, but I respect what she's been able to accomplish and she made a huge impression on me.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/1/2023 at 4:35 PM, longhornmatt said:

Plus, people weren’t able to silo where they got information as much back then, so if Madonna was in the news, everyone heard about it.  It was like combining Taylor Swift with Trump or something.

On 7/1/2023 at 7:14 PM, G650 said:

To me, this is why it will never be the same. That kind of mass culture just doesn't exist anymore.

Well said.    

There used to just be "the news," "the radio," and "the television," and Madonna was just relentlessly present on all of those media for a solid decade.  The icons of today -- even Beyonce and Taylor Swift -- they just don't have those universal platforms that reach every demographic.

These days, pretty much nobody is listening to terrestrial radio or watching live performances on network TV (outside of maybe Super Bowl halftime).

• Hook 'Em 1

It's funny, I was an adolescent male, then young adult, during peak Madonna.  I never could figure out if she was hot or not.  I was similarly ambivalent about her music, but I tend that way toward pop of any and all kinds most of the time.

I think the posts about "transcendent" stardom and how that's just not a thing anymore are spot on.  She may have been among the last of those?  Or the last really big one?

The one song of hers that has stuck with me through the years, though, is Crazy For You.  Because Vision Quest and I've always been a big Modine fan.  Some of her slower, ballady stuff I tend to like better than her poppy-dancey stuff.

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The one song of hers that has stuck with me through the years, though, is Crazy For You.  Because Vision Quest and I've always been a big Modine fan.  

Yep, right there with you.  It's a very well-written song, and fit that (cheesey) movie perfectly.

I also liked "Borderline" quite a bit.  The rest of her stuff, eh, but man she was everywhere.  The comments above about media are spot on, if someone was getting the push, you couldn't avoid them.  She was one small step below Michael Jackson in terms of cultural saturation.  Frankly, she was above Prince most of the time.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's funny, I was an adolescent male, then young adult, during peak Madonna.  I never could figure out if she was hot or not.  I was similarly ambivalent about her music, but I tend that way toward pop of any and all kinds most of the time.

I think the posts about "transcendent" stardom and how that's just not a thing anymore are spot on.  She may have been among the last of those?  Or the last really big one?

The one song of hers that has stuck with me through the years, though, is Crazy For You.  Because Vision Quest and I've always been a big Modine fan.  Some of her slower, ballady stuff I tend to like better than her poppy-dancey stuff.

Crazy For You is probably my favorite Madonna song-- that entire VisionQuest soundtrack is pretty great.

And +whatever on all of those saying that in today's information/entertainment climate, you just can't reach the mass saturation that you could up through the 90s and early 2000s.

For that reason, I don't think you have to be a "cranky boomer" not to know Beyonce or Taylor Swift.  It's likely every boomer has HEARD their stuff, but there's no reason why they'd know exactly who sang it.  There's just not the market saturation to make the link, like there was 20+ years ago.

Anyway, I'm solidly GenX and I liked some but not all Madonna music back in the day, and I certainly recognize and respect her cultural impact and always liked that she was so supportive of inclusion. 

16 hours ago, Deej said:

Prime Madonna was hotter than Taylor Swift. 

At least she seemed liked she get a lot dirtier with you. 

Even as a pre-teen/child I knew Madonna was not hot enough to be cast as the mole in Dick Tracy.

As an aside, I watched that movie again a few years ago as an adult and it was very weird but made more sense than it did as a kid.