Madonna intubated in ICU after being found unresponsive in NYC

shadow_operative

4 hours ago, Macanudo said:

[Helobius] Who cares?   She's a has been.  No one listens to her anymore and she's irrelevant in today's music scene.[\Helobius]

She isn't as famous as Beyonce, though.

On that note, do y'all think Nick Jonas or Dave Grohl is more famous?

Beyoncé is maybe the next closest thing in terms of famous pop star, and maybe equally impactful if you think of her as being the entity that ultimately finished Elvis’ work and bridged the white and black charts. But there’s just not anything comparable to what Madonna was. Certainly not since then.

Edited by Celery Man

13 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Beyoncé is maybe the next closest thing in terms of famous pop star, and maybe equally impactful if you think of her as being the entity that ultimately finished Elvis’ work and bridged the white and black charts. But there’s just not anything comparable to what Madonna was. Certainly not since then.

I've heard 50+ Madonna songs. I don't know if I've even heard a Beyonce song.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

Taylor Swift has entered the chat.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, Macanudo said:

[Helobius] Who cares?   She's a has been.  No one listens to her anymore and she's irrelevant in today's music scene.[\Helobius]

he knows this is real because he saw it in a TikTok comment

52 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Taylor Swift has entered the chat.

Swift might even have surpassed Madonna at this point.

• Haha 1

I think Swift has killed everyone in terms of record/concert/etc numbers, and it’s because she’s extremely hardworking and talented, etc. I don’t know if culturally Swift has ever been quite what Madonna was in terms of the… Elvis factor of it all.

but it’s also hard for me to say as an elder millennial who was still a little kid when Madonna was Madonna

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I think Swift has killed everyone in terms of record/concert/etc numbers, and it’s because she’s extremely hardworking and talented, etc. I don’t know if culturally Swift has ever been quite what Madonna was in terms of the… Elvis factor of it all.

but it’s also hard for me to say as an elder millennial who was still a little kid when Madonna was Madonna

Peak Madonna was some shit man.

• Hook 'Em 2

beyonce, madonna, tay tay are all phenomenons.  i am conversant in madonna's 80's and 90's catalogues.  beyonce's 00's and '10's catalogue, and taylor's '14-present catalogue.  all have skills in their own rights.  madonna collided with and engaged cultural barriers in a way the other two did not regarding sexuality and female empowerment just as a result of timing.  the other two have benefited substantially from madonna's trailblazing.  beyonce undoubtedly encountered both significant challenges and a few benefits from her being african american.  bey is clearly the best dancer of the three.  taylor is easily the most talented of them musically and the best actual songwriter between them by a long, long shot and in terms of numbers, she is ridiculous to a point that is hard to fathom.  but despite her little dips here and there into controversy, she's fairly white bread though i suspect she would be the easiest to be around day to day...she seems like a class act unless you have been her boyfriend at any point.

justify my love madonna was pretty hot for sure.  i posted that video because 11 year old me probably discovered the pleasures of jerking it while watching that video and basic instinct in the early 90's.

dangerously in love beyonce is all-timer stuff...unbelievably melt your cock off hot.

taylor has been cute at times and will probably hold up best over time.

all i got.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, G650 said:

Good post but I disagree on the songwriting bit. The collaboration between Madonna and Patrick Leonard is in the conversation for greatest pop writing of all time. Up there with King/ Goffin, Bert Berns.

i don't disagree with madonna's songs being great pop songs.  i still listen to them.  but she did not write like 30 of her 80 singles and most of the others were co-written.

relative to most anyone else, she is an all-time songwriter.  relative to swift's catalogue that is mostly exclusively written by her as i understand it, i'd give the nod to taylor.

my dad put this poster up in my room when i was like 6.

71yJIBJlSwL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, sidis said:

beyonce, madonna, tay tay are all phenomenons.  i am conversant in madonna's 80's and 90's catalogues.  beyonce's 00's and '10's catalogue, and taylor's '14-present catalogue.  all have skills in their own rights.  madonna collided with and engaged cultural barriers in a way the other two did not regarding sexuality and female empowerment just as a result of timing.  the other two have benefited substantially from madonna's trailblazing.  beyonce undoubtedly encountered both significant challenges and a few benefits from her being african american.  bey is clearly the best dancer of the three.  taylor is easily the most talented of them musically and the best actual songwriter between them by a long, long shot and in terms of numbers, she is ridiculous to a point that is hard to fathom.  but despite her little dips here and there into controversy, she's fairly white bread though i suspect she would be the easiest to be around day to day...she seems like a class act unless you have been her boyfriend at any point.

justify my love madonna was pretty hot for sure.  i posted that video because 11 year old me probably discovered the pleasures of jerking it while watching that video and basic instinct in the early 90's.

dangerously in love beyonce is all-timer stuff...unbelievably melt your cock off hot.

taylor has been cute at times and will probably hold up best over time.

all i got.

Who is tay tay?  

4 hours ago, Rimbo said:

he knows this is real because he saw it in a TikTok comment

I just have to say, for the record, in a different thread than which it occurred, and not to suggest by my bringing it up that I haven't felt like I've "been in the end zone" before: I take full credit for extracting delicately that Tik Tok Comment information out of him (politely, I might add) in that epic submarine thread.  The fact that it's become a Surly "something" pleases me.  Damn it, it tickles me!  I live a simple existence.

Cheers to me.

Also, to the topic, Madonna's cool.  Loved her early 80s shit.  I probably dig that Cowboy Video song of the late 90s/early 2000s as much as anything.  Beyonce is part of what made Waterfalls, and damn, that's a fine song.  I probably like it more than any Madonna song.  I couldn't tell you the name of a Taylor Swift song, but she seems pretty badass.

Signed, GenX

P.S. I obviously no jack shit about Beyonce.  See below or within.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, G650 said:

Peak Madonna was some shit man.

For me, Madonna peaked in her “Cherish” video. 

Soaking wet, push-up bra, still had collagen to make her look soft, and she didn’t scream “Guess how many STDs I have!” in that video.

• Hook 'Em 1