USWNT 2023: Journey to a 5th Star

pacman

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Statement was a millimeter. Camera showed a bit of space. 

Meh, we fucked up and missed 3 shots, 2 by our "stars"  

Just now, Captain Ron said:

It was one of the closes I have ever seen

image.thumb.png.3fe7507ea1a30031dfb364bb0ef5a0c3.png

Thanks.  I’m in St. Louis for the boy’s game with Salt Lake tonight and he has no TV. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Yep, he needs to be gone before we get on the plane. Our worst showing ever by far. 

We didn't score in our last 2 games!!!! 210 minutes!! 238 when you count the end of the Netherlands game. I mean I get that the Swede keeper was amazing today, but still.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

28 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:
30 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Not liking penalty kicks against their goalie.  

I don't like PKs because PKs.

But PKs are a much different animal than the game. She might have been hot in game, she could save ZERO of these and I wouldn't be shocked.

Just to revisit this. It was 5-4 on 7 rounds. Their keeper made 0 saves, we only put 4 shots on frame 3 misses. Our keeper made a save and got her hand on the winner but it went in (and they missed one too).

• Rage+1 1

Just now, Captain Ron said:

Just to revisit this. It was 5-4 on 7 rounds. Their keeper made 0 saves, we only put 4 shots on frame 3 misses. Our keeper made a save and got her hand on the winner but it went in (and they missed one too).

Very true and I don't think it was in. But damn, Coach putting in Rapinoe was fucked up. She did not have a C game. In very limited minutes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Any other game I feel like 2 of those shots today go in. Swedish keeper was nails all game. We were the better team today, just couldn't finish. Women's game way more competitive now, we're not going to out athlete anyone anymore.

Start denying college visas to them! I kid, but a lot of international talent goes to school here. Our NCAA programs are pretty damn good. We do not have a solid pro system, so something will have to give. 

10 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Not surprised they lost.  Arrogant team.

HUH?

I thought they were:

• Poorly coached
  • Indecisive
  • Unable to finish chances
  • Made poor decisions
  • Lacked trust
  • Played a lackluster offense
  • Had some players that were older than dirt
  • Made shitty subs

But I didn't think they were arrogant.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Funny, FOX shows O'hara's miss, but not the other two stars. 

That would piss me off if I was her. 

Team has a future. We need a coach and for the legacy olds to retire. 

That’s where I am from what I saw of them the last year, or so.

When the generational shift is happening I say do it all at once, no stragglers.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

I'm pissed that Williams never went up to take. 

Makes no sense at all. I mean Rapinoe was such a terrible choice. And while she made hers, Naeher shot 6th?!?!

I would have put Williams 4 and pushed Rapinoe all the way down to the bottom, said that way back

22 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

HUH?

I thought they were:

• Poorly coached
  • Indecisive
  • Unable to finish chances
  • Made poor decisions
  • Lacked trust
  • Played a lackluster offense
  • Had some players that were older than dirt
  • Made shitty subs

But I didn't think they were arrogant.

image.jpeg.f6ecb8851e51c711dd498c618ba08cbb.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

Just watched.  Or should Insay, YouTubeTV spoiled that it was almost 3 hrs so knew it was PKs and just fast forwarded to there presuming 0-0.   

Everything that is wrong with this coach and this team dynamic played out in the substitutions and the PKs.  

This is essentially the USWMNT version of 2018.  We wasted a cycle on a generational star due to loyalty to lesser players that lost a step or were ultimately JAGs.   Fire the coach sometime in the next month and reboot. 

4 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Just stood up for the Anthem. Damn these time zones are a beating. Got a dog, a beer, and no sleep. Glad I work fucked up timezones. 

The entire knockout round was arranged to fit the USA’s TV schedule. (Not an opinion, a reported fact.)

The USA was/is the #1 ranked team in the world and they always win their group, so the winner of our group was to stay in New Zealand and play in PRIME TIME on Saturday night. 

Second place was going to go to Melbourne, which is 2 hours behind New Zealand, and play a late Sunday morning/early afternoon match.

Planned US time: 7p PT/ 8p MT/ 9p CT/ 10p ET

Planned Dutch start: 11a 

Instead: US start: 2am PT -> 5am ET

Dutch start: 4am  (as well as South Africa time)

This was 100% due to the USWNT & coach sucking dysentery ass. 

The USA is far and away the biggest TV market for the Women’s World Cup, so an attempt was made to cater to the American viewers as much as possible. 

POST MATCH MUSIC:

After Sweden 🇸🇪 won, the PA system at the stadium started playing Euro electronic music and I thought “That’s just the kind of music that the world listens to.”

then I looked up the song and laughed at the significance behind the song choice …

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

ESPN has a lot of short video clips with the reaction. Some are quite interesting.

IMG_5869.thumb.png.c1cc567cc8788fb0e6eed86279f392f1.png

If Morgan isn’t planning to retire, then someone needs to plan it for her.The old people need to be cleared from the team before next year’s Olympics  

Rapinoe played like what Roldán would have played like if he had made it into the World Cup. She never should have been on the team. Should could have been an assistant coach or player liaison, but never should have taken a roster spot, much less actually entered a game.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

IMG_5869.thumb.png.c1cc567cc8788fb0e6eed86279f392f1.png

If Morgan isn’t planning to retire, then someone needs to plan it for her.The old people need to be cleared from the team before next year’s Olympics  

Rapinoe played like what Roldán would have played like if he had made it into the World Cup. She never should have been on the team. Should could have been an assistant coach or player liaison, but never should have taken a roster spot, much less actually entered a game.

Morgan might not reture now. But she won’t be going to the 2027 WC. 

2 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

If anyone needs me, I'll be in my garage making plans to burn down an Ikea.

I looked at your arson plans, and like those of IKEA...I couldn't make any fucking sense of them.  So I ate a meatball with some beers and said "fuck it" and went fishing instead.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, tokamak said:

Reporting for duty. Tired as fuck. Let’s do this. 

6 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Not sure I’ll make it to 6, 2-0 good girls at half would be fucking ideal. 

6 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Just stood up for the Anthem. Damn these time zones are a beating. Got a dog, a beer, and no sleep. Glad I work fucked up timezones.

congratulations, gentlemen

you have been awarded the triple cross of the legion of courage

triplecrossofthelegionofcourage.jpg.42673739790cfaf1bbeb01955619d489.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

someone posted the bracket was lost in the first game

thoroughly enjoyed skipping the last 2 games

had to skip portugal = worknight

could have gotten up this morning but knew the probable result, but really expected to roll over, turn on the phone and see a scoreline of 1-1 or 2-2 out AET

2 nil-nil draws in a row  = parcells :: your karma is shit, you are bad people and you should feel bad

parlow should have to sign every one of the players' appearance checks, and the players should have to collect the checks in person, like at a signing ceremony, then be required to speak at a presser, all of it live on espn to stick a fork in fox for agreeing to the outrageous commercial campaigns pimping this panda-placenta-abortion tournament display

• Haha 1

Lost on a missed Rapinoe pk. Can't make it up. 

The coach is a dipshit. We still have the most talent of any country but the advantage is dissipating. Fire his ass, write Rapinoe a check for $10,000,000 to never make another public appearance and slowly shoo Morgan out the door and we'll be okay. And have the ladies start playing in Europe like the men do. 

We more than likely win with Lavelle out there. 

Oh well. Maybe better for the program to get bounced here than lose some shitty heartbreaker in the semis. 

• Hook 'Em 1