Texas tops list of worst places to live and work in America

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Spent a lot of time in early 2000s over there courting the current wife while pretending to study. We lived in that area after getting married for a long time, and I am sad that it has shuttered. But I understand. 

It's actually reopened again under new management- now named Tweedy's. Took out the kitchen and opened up the space inside but the patio is still the same. My architect buddy is convinced the owner is going to sell to UT for student housing eventually but I'll still drop by for a bike ride brewski when I'm in the neighborhood.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Smax said:

When California sends its people, they’re not sending their best... They’re sending people that have lots of problems, financial, mental health. And some, I assume, are good people

We call those people

the middle class

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/18/2023 at 2:17 PM, closetohumping said:

Meh.  Not gonna comment on politics.  But name a metro that is as diverse as Houston in this country where you can buy a fat house for 400k? Texas is a pro business state so it will continue to grow.  

Personally, weather, scenery and people are important to me so I choose to live in a shack in OC

Where in Houston are you buying a house for sub 400k that doesn’t have a risk of flooding and isn’t in BFE?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Idk shit about Houston other than floods but you can definitely live well in Dallas for 400k fuck I have never owned anything that expensive before leaving. Not sure where you people get your numbers from or standards but god damn oh you can’t live in any major metro in Texas with a 400k house yea you might be an asshole . Money isn’t the issue in Texas

Edited by Zepol87

7 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

You need to drive more in Houston and Dallas if you think CO drivers are bad...

I've driven in all of em and they don't have jack shit on West Texas.  Combine migrants/ illegals, college kids, and a more elderly general population and you have a recipe for some fucked up shit on a daily basis. Midkand/Odessa checks in with the coal rollin/ overcompensatin lifted pick-up crowd. Yeah, a lot of it's avoidable, until it ain't.

head on a swivel, like a motherfucker.  My cousins in JeffCo gripe about drivers and I just laugh.

Edited by slorch

Where in Houston are you buying a house for sub 400k that doesn’t have a risk of flooding and isn’t in BFE?

Idk shit about Houston other than floods but you can definitely live well in Dallas for 400k fuck I have never owned anything that expensive before leaving. Not sure where you people get your numbers from or standards but god damn oh you can’t live in any major metro in Texas with a 400k house yea you might be an asshole . Money isn’t the issue in Texas

I think it’s more accurate to say you’re not going to get into desirable neighborhoods in the city below $400k. You can find plenty of
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Most of the Californians I know go to Texas because they can't afford California or are MAGA red.  

And they move to fucking Beeville and post on Facebook weekly how they should have left sooner and are never going back, and they pity everyone still stuck in California.

I know the type.

Usually happens about the time kids come into the picture. Which I get...I wouldn't call SoCal the easiest or best place to raise a family

Also, gun availability, ease of access, and less restrictions on places to shoot also seems to be an important factor in those that have made the move.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

I think it’s more accurate to say you’re not going to get into desirable neighborhoods in the city below $400k. You can find plenty of

I think in the city anywhere is tough for 400k. Suburbs of Houston though?  100% you can get a great house.  Not sure about Dallas 

2 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

The thing I miss about Texas is HEB and going to DKR regularly during the fall, that's it. I would need a pretty solid economic incentive to move back, but if it continues to follow Florida's lead even that wouldn't do it.

Bbq.  Mexican food.  Dive bars. Country music.  Gruene hall as well.  Texas isn’t for me but there’s stuff I miss

• Hook 'Em 6

There are some amazing things about Central Texas, many have been mentioned. The lakes, the food, the music, HEB, others. I spent the first 20+ years of my life there, and graduated from UT with all of my friends. All but one have moved out of state and are never looking back (including me). I miss those great things, and at one point we thought about moving back to central Texas, but those things aren't worth it anymore. Austin used to be a bit of an oasis from the rest of Texas, but not anymore. Hell, my sister is as "Austin-proud" as anyone I've ever met, and she's packing up and relocating to New Mexico. The politics, the heat, the business yes / citizen no stance...it's just become an increasingly bad place to live. We visit our families a couple of times a year and then get the hell out. 

Also surfing sucks, don't come out here and try it 😉  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

There are some amazing things about Central Texas, many have been mentioned. The lakes, the food, the music, HEB, others. I spent the first 20+ years of my life there, and graduated from UT with all of my friends. All but one have moved out of state and are never looking back (including me). I miss those great things, and at one point we thought about moving back to central Texas, but those things aren't worth it anymore. Austin used to be a bit of an oasis from the rest of Texas, but not anymore. Hell, my sister is as "Austin-proud" as anyone I've ever met, and she's packing up and relocating to New Mexico. The politics, the heat, the business yes / citizen no stance...it's just become an increasingly bad place to live. We visit our families a couple of times a year and then get the hell out. 

Also surfing sucks, don't come out here and try it 😉  

I love living in SoCal.  Honestly thought I would hate it as everyone in the country craps on it, but it's fucking great.  Not sure if my body can do it for too much longer, but skiing and surfing on the same day is glorious.  

Austin is great for young people and would I love to be able to just catch an Uber to the stadium on game day, yes. But even that is a got damn hassle and I catch myself  hating on the college kids even though I was a jackass college kid not too long ago.  

My parents are getting old.  Do I think about heading back?  Sometimes.  I won't sell my California house though.  

9 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I love living in SoCal.  Honestly thought I would hate it as everyone in the country craps on it, but it's fucking great.  Not sure if my body can do it for too much longer,

I can only imagine the toll 75 degrees and breezy sunshine takes on a man. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I went to Kealing during the Rodney King riots. There was some social tension. 

Every day was racial tension at Martin.  But not with the African-Americans, they were even more of a minority than us gringo kids.

Busing was a costly experiment that was a complete failure.  However, we did get to eat regularly at Carmen's La Tapatia which was the best Tex-Mex joint Austin has ever had.  So we had that going for us.  Which is nice.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, ztejas said:

02d8e799-9927-491d-b1d5-06fdd7247c80_text(1).gif.4127d1b39779d6fbb55676a6e7ebf02a.gif

I can appreciate the nuances of different style of Mexican food.  When I first moved to California, I turned my nose up at it because it wasn't Tex Mex.  I was wrong.  

As stated elsewhere, my death row meal would be Tex Mex cheese enchiladas with rice and beans.  Doesn't mean I can't enjoy fish tacos once in a while.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

14 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Yep I meet those people daily. Why would you come here instead of living in Texas where it’s amazing!! I just ask them if they have ever been and of course they only went for a weekend or something over the last 10 years and live in Fontana or even further inland empire which yea that shit sucks I get it but it’s usually followed by taxes are lower kind of maga talking points 

Some people in my circle have at least mentioned a move to Texas.  I just ask "ok, when you get to Houston or Dallas, what will you do?  Like for fun?"

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Bbq.  Mexican food.  Dive bars. Country music.  Gruene hall as well.  Texas isn’t for me but there’s stuff I miss

Yep.  All the things you can hit over a long weekend.  I didn't grow up in Texas, but spent enough time down there (and wife has family in Houston and near Centerville), so I can hit the stuff I like on a quick trip and GTFO.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 7/18/2023 at 12:04 PM, Longhornsnus said:

Also, what is in the water in Mass.? That's the bubble to be in, if you have money and want safety I guess?

image.png.deec228916bdf43964eff192e343fa96.png

They actually prioritize educating their citizenry in Massachusetts.   Other places prioritize football and Jesus.  The end results speak for themselves.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 2
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

They actually prioritize educating their citizenry in Massachusetts.   Other places prioritize football and Jesus.  The end results speak for themselves.

Yep.

Bottom line, you can treat your citizens like 1) an asset to invest in and grow, or 2) an expense and a cost to be minimized.

Guess which one yields better long-term results?  

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Not if they want to own a home

Same for up here.  My kids talk about how they are going to have to leave CO to buy a house even though I repeatedly tell them they should consider themselves fortunate because the wire and I can help them buy one.  Most kids don't have that option.  I didn't.  Luckily for me, housing was a hell of a lot cheaper 20+ years ago.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Not if they want to own a home

Yep.  That's another thing I'm really loving about Texas.  We've managed to shoot ourselves in the foot due to BOTH short-sighted "conservative" policies (e.g., gutting education is a terrible, awful long-term strategy) AND feel-good white liberal policies (which also have a big slice of hypocritical nimby-ism thrown in).  The second approach being the reasons for much of Austin's idiotic "no-growth" and "keep the character of our neighborhoods" strategy that has resulted in this town being unaffordable for most.  The worst of both worlds.  Boy, Texas is really bringing it these days.

We've been hiding out in New Mexico mountains for the last few weeks to get out of the heat.  I've been working on the back deck enjoying the fresh air more in the last few weeks than I have in the last ten years in Austin.  Our kids were born in NM when we lived there for a stretch before we got the hell out, as it's an awful place to raise kids or earn a living (not bad for retirement so long as you're healthy).  Turns out that returning to Austin may have been a terrible mistake as well.  AISD has completely fallen apart, and the state is hell-bent on ensuring public schools get even worse.  Private schools are fine, but it's not where we want them if we can help it.  Wife works for a company in Boston, and this summer especially has us talking about making the move to at least somewhere on the East Coast (I'm pushing for NC).  

The thought of leaving my folks, who are in the panhandle, so far away when they're entering the years they really need help, is the big sticking point.  I'm a drive away right now, and although they're not far from some form of assisted living, I don't think they'll be willing to move out of Texas to be close to us.  Too scary for Texas lifers.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/18/2023 at 1:38 PM, 4th&Five said:

My oldest is going to be a HS sophomore and there's zero chance she's staying in TX for college or ever coming back after.  I can't blame her.

On 7/18/2023 at 1:49 PM, Longhornsnus said:

I would read this survey and find it interesting, if you had a link.

He doesn't need one. My girl is not looking at any scholarship offers inside the state and swears she will not come back here too. I don't think you are in tune with what's going on here or the relative temperature when it comes to young people. 

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

We've been hiding out in New Mexico mountains for the last few weeks to get out of the heat.  I've been working on the back deck enjoying the fresh air more in the last few weeks than I have in the last ten years in Austin.  Our kids were born in NM when we lived there for a stretch before we got the hell out, as it's an awful place to raise kids or earn a living (not bad for retirement so long as you're healthy).  Turns out that returning to Austin may have been a terrible mistake as well.  AISD has completely fallen apart, and the state is hell-bent on ensuring public schools get even worse.  Private schools are fine, but it's not where we want them if we can help it.  Wife works for a company in Boston, and this summer especially has us talking about making the move to at least somewhere on the East Coast (I'm pushing for NC).  

The thought of leaving my folks, who are in the panhandle, so far away when they're entering the years they really need help, is the big sticking point.  I'm a drive away right now, and although they're not far from some form of assisted living, I don't think they'll be willing to move out of Texas to be close to us.  Too scary for Texas lifers.

Look at how much AISD contributes to Robinhood compared to the rest of the state and you'll see a big reason why AISD has "fallen apart". We just had to pass a special bond package to update AISD facilities. I all for it but in essence we are being taxed twice. And then try to track what the state is spending on that $800M AISD Robinhood money and you'll get even more pissed at the bullshit.

• Rage+1 1

35 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Owning a home is tough for most young people who have a degrees, want to put them them use, and don’t have outside help.

Owning a home anywhere where you'd actually want to live is a huge fucking challenge. Yes there are affordable homes available, but who the fuck wants to live in BFE Jason Aldean Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, name your shitty state/city?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You think so?  Is there even one movie star / producer / billionaire who moved to Texas?  

supposedly Musk moved to Austin, not sure if its his actual home or just a property for optics, either way good riddance