Week 2, 2023: Texas @ Alabama

Wulaw Horn

Alabama's OL had some pretty glaring issues in the opener. Even more than we had. They didn't really have much success at all in the run game other than off-schedule runs by the QBs. 

It's an interesting decision for PK. Bringing pressure will probably create issues for Bama's OL but it also creates potential for Milroe to scramble. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

That will be the “problem”, as can we contain Milroe running? Not really worried about the passing, as if he does, good on him, but I’d take my chances there!

Hook’em!!!

Think we’re going to play zone with different looks. Make him beat us throwing while doing everything to stop run 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, msucolt45 said:

That will be the “problem”, as can we contain Milroe running? Not really worried about the passing, as if he does, good on him, but I’d take my chances there!

Hook’em!!!

Between Ford, Catalon, Barron, Thompson (and even Muhammad after seeing him last week), I'm not scared of a running QB this year. I think we are well equipped to handle it. These guys re not scared to tackle, and I think being aggressive in closing down lanes quick is most important to stopping a scrambler. 

6 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

Between Ford, Catalon, Barron, Thompson (and even Muhammad after seeing him last week), I'm not scared of a running QB this year. I think we are well equipped to handle it. These guys re not scared to tackle, and I think being aggressive in closing down lanes quick is most important to stopping a scrambler. 

Key will be DL not overrunning their lanes when rushing and keeping milroe contained.

6 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Do we unleash the Ant Hill this game? Looks like he logged a tackle but I didn’t see him. (Granted I was deep in the sauce)

I think Ant Hill would be a potential good spy as well as Gbenda

• Like 1

Alabama's OL had some pretty glaring issues in the opener. Even more than we had. They didn't really have much success at all in the run game other than off-schedule runs by the QBs. 
It's an interesting decision for PK. Bringing pressure will probably create issues for Bama's OL but it also creates potential for Milroe to scramble. 

Texas will miss Overshown in this game more than any other. He’s the perfect Milroe spy.

I think Texas is going to bring some pressure. The OL is the weakness of this Alabama team. 
The left side of that line is super young. 

giphy.gif
I don’t think Bama will actually bring much pressure though. Disguised/delayed 4th rushers, stunts, etc. yes, but that’s all they need. They don’t need to send 5+ when they can count on the guards making mental errors.

Listened to Alabama 9.95 folks this morning and my summary.

1. They are nothing like last year when they thought it was a blow out.

2. Them and their callers are asking fans to be loud and give the team an intimidating home field advantage.

3. They are hyped about the Jalen Milroe performance.

4. They don't know what to think about such a poor performance by their RBs.

5. They think that Texas OL is going to get their QB hurt a 3rd time in a row.

6. Quinn Ewers = Spencer Rattler

7. Worthy is the man

8. Texas defense has top 10 talent but is not a top10 defense and is not an SEC defense.

9. We are not ready to deal with a 100K hostile SEC, SEC, SEC environment. I thought make that 90K or less. Callers are letting the 9.95ers know Texas fan base travels.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Their starting RG, Darrian Dalcourt, was their starting center for most of last year (until McLaughlin replaced him late in the season) and was their message board whipping boy all year because he'd get overpowered vs superior competition; a situation eerily similar to Jake Majors. Their boards appear to be upset that he's still starting (they're calling for Ferguson). He and the freshman LT look like potential scabs to be picked at

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Texas will miss Overshown in this game more than any other. He’s the perfect Milroe spy.

I think Any Hill is fine in that regard. He closes really fast and is very physical. The interesting one I heard is Derek Williams.. Though I am not sure he has enough mass for it, but is definitely physical. 

40 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Listened to Alabama 9.95 folks this morning and my summary.

1. They are nothing like last year when they thought it was a blow out.

2. Them and their callers are asking fans to be loud and give the team an intimidating home field advantage.

3. They are hyped about the Jalen Milroe performance.

4. They don't know what to think about such a poor performance by their RBs.

5. They think that Texas OL is going to get their QB hurt a 3rd time in a row.

6. Quinn Ewers = Spencer Rattler

7. Worthy is the man

8. Texas defense has top 10 talent but is not a top10 defense and is not an SEC defense.

9. We are not ready to deal with a 100K hostile SEC, SEC, SEC environment. I thought make that 90K or less. Callers are letting the 9.95ers know Texas fan base travels.

Anyone that watched the Rice game would not disagree. 

I’m no football expert or anything, but to me, that Rice game definitely looked like we were not showing much. I didn’t see any Anthony Hill blitzes, something we heard a lot about during practice. The offense was Ho hum for sure. When the O did show something, it usually turned into something good. (Sanders TD, Brooks TD). I think they will be fine IF our OL doesn’t play bad. Part year they played well, so I expect the same, or at least hope.

I’ll say this, Milroe scares me, but, I think we can rattle him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

A few notes from IT

Spoiler

Dominating defense

Two source’s had the same initial takeaway, the defense is already in mid-season from. Internally there’s excitement regarding the relationship of tighter coverage and a really good D-line. They believe they have a winning recipe.

A source continued by mentioning that’s how they practiced all August but the players’ ability to take it to the field against a new opponent that’s been game planning them has everyone optimistic for what that unit can ultimately be. “The front showed up, the DB’s communicated. Defense was complementary. There were no surprises.” Meaning there were no surprise breakdowns or trouble spots.

That was everyone’s first time to see T’Vondre Sweat and Alfred Collins dominate for extended periods of time. It was everything coaches expected to see based on August but there was still the element of the unknown.

Sources were also excited to see so many young players able to get on the field. Derek Williams is “a dude for sure.” Hill was “so close to making some big plays.” 

On defense, Week 1 went better than we could have hoped for, even when adjusting for preseason optimism.

Offense was a bit different.

Uneven offense

A source said it was the opposite of the defense where the offense didn’t adapt to playing a new opponent; they didn’t play the way they practiced.

The offense made some uncharacteristic miscues but some of that was due to lack of experience, poor communication (IT heard Majors was making the right calls), and Rice bringing different blitzes they hadn’t seen before. Inexperienced players, like DJ Campbell, are not going to react to ‘new’ as well as those with more experience. 

None of the context earned the offense a pass, however. Sark was on them good in the locker room and then again during film review. “He lit into them but he’s just being honest based on how they played.” 

As for Quinn Ewers, “he did a good job keeping his cool.” A source says he’s been hitting those deep balls in practice but needs to hit one in-game to get going. “He’s hit Worthy a lot where Worthy doesn’t even break stride, and that’s against better coverage than Rice. The rush got to him a little bit but still have to make the throw when it’s there.”

Looking ahead to Alabama

Texas’ D-line is expected to have another good game even though Bama’s O-line is talented and massive. Bama struggled with some of the same issues Texas did, namely blitz pickup and O-line cohesion.

“The freshman LT (Kadyn Proctor) is not where (Kelvin) Banks was a year ago.” Hopefully that’s foreshadowing.

When it comes to the O-line vs D-line matchup, each team has similar advantages and disadvantages. 

What about Alabama quarterback Jalen Milroe? They have a lot of respect for him but Milroe’s going to have to prove he can get through his reads. If that first read isn’t there they know he’s a flight risk. The wide receivers are viewed as being athletic but it won’t be nearly as easy to beat UT over the top as MTSU.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

I think Any Hill is fine in that regard. He closes really fast and is very physical. The interesting one I heard is Derek Williams.. Though I am not sure he has enough mass for it, but is definitely physical. 

You want Ant Hill rushing up field, not spying Milroe. That’s where LSU went wrong with Harold Perkins vs FSU

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Just now, JohnnyTapia said:

You want Ant Hill rushing up field, not spying Milroe. That’s where LSU went wrong with Harold Perkins vs FSU

Perkins best game last year was vs Arkansas and he was mostly used as a spy. He actually got a couple sacks in that role. I said Hill for a couple reasons. 

#1 Ford is too valuable in pass coverage

#2 Milroe is a big dude. 6'2 like 220-230. I am not sure I like anyone in the secondary trying to tackle him 1 on 1. 

keep in mind, you cant just make Hill the full time spy. You are going to have to mix it up. If you dont use someone like Hill, you have to pick someone. So who do you want to do it? 

Just now, Codaxx said:

Perkins best game last year was vs Arkansas and he was mostly used as a spy. He actually got a couple sacks in that role. I said Hill for a couple reasons. 

#1 Ford is too valuable in pass coverage

#2 Milroe is a big dude. 6'2 like 220-230. I am not sure I like anyone in the secondary trying to tackle him 1 on 1. 

keep in mind, you cant just make Hill the full time spy. You are going to have to mix it up. If you dont use someone like Hill, you have to pick someone. So who do you want to do it? 

I think as far as spy goes we will need to change it up who spies and where they spy from to cause more confusion. DL has to have lane assignment and not rush too far past Milroe. Let the spy read and react.