Godzilla: Minus One

Helobious

Yes that’s the actual movie title. First Japanese-made godzilla movie in 7 years. Not related at all to the American Godzilla/Kong movies that have come out recently. Also will be the first Godzilla movie to disregard his 1954 birth date as this is set in post WW2 Japan. Releases Dec 1 in the US

Sidenote: I believe Godzilla may be the most perfect film franchise idea in history. There is no deep intrinsic world or folkloric knowledge needed to watch it (unlike Star Wars, LOTR, Harry Potter, etc). Big monster shoes up, smashes stuff, and fights other monsters sometimes. That’s it. The movies are at best loosely tied to prior ones and even that’s rare. It’s so easily adaptable. Hence why there’s been almost 40 movies in 70 years.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Helobious said:

Yes that’s the actual movie title. First Japanese-made godzilla movie in 7 years. Not related at all to the American Godzilla/Kong movies that have come out recently. Also will be the first Godzilla movie to disregard his 1954 birth date as this is set in post WW2 Japan. Releases Dec 1 in the US

Sidenote: I believe Godzilla may be the most perfect film franchise idea in history. There is no deep intrinsic world or folkloric knowledge needed to watch it (unlike Star Wars, LOTR, Harry Potter, etc). Big monster shoes up, smashes stuff, and fights other monsters sometimes. That’s it. The movies are at best loosely tied to prior ones and even that’s rare. It’s so easily adaptable. Hence why there’s been almost 40 movies in 70 years.

Looks badass.

On 9/6/2023 at 6:36 PM, RomaVicta said:

Very smart to set it in the 40s. It would be harder to kill that big bastard than it is with today's weapons.

I'd love to see what the Koreans would do with this story. They made zombies interesting again. 

I don't know.  I saw the recent G movies set in current times, and he took a lot of licking and kept on ticking.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

That film has a great look about it.

I was shocked to learn the budget was just $15 million, they really got max value out of it.  I’m not alone in liking it either, it’s still over 90% on rotten tomatoes, both critic & audience score. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Outstanding.  Good story with balance between action and drama.  Regular citizens and little technology...well done.

I went in without even seeing a trailer..(first time I have done that).  But the reviews had been good (I didn't read any just saw scores).

I read later it was a $15M budget...pretty pretty pretty good.

3 hours ago, DoobieWah said:

Really?

No one?

On 9/12/2023 at 2:10 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

Helpless people on the subway train scream "My God!" as he looks in on them.

He picks up a bus and throws it back down as he wades through the buildings to the center of town.

History shows again and again how Nature points out the folly of man.

• Hook 'Em 2

This was entertaining as hell, really enjoyed it.

Had one small nit, more humorous than annoying 

Spoiler

How the hell was he floating above a 1500 meter trench?  Had an image of him kicking his big claws back and forth like a kid learning how to tread water.

54 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

This was entertaining as hell, really enjoyed it.

Had one small nit, more humorous than annoying 

Hide contents

How the hell was he floating above a 1500 meter trench?  Had an image of him kicking his big claws back and forth like a kid learning how to tread water.

He treads water with his tail and legs. 

On 12/8/2023 at 7:46 PM, DoobieWah said:

Really?

No one?

I saw BOC do that live at the Fox in the early 80’s. They had some guy in an oversize Godzilla suit who came on stage with the dry ice fog after what felt like a five minute introduction. Everyone was thinking WTF. Apparently their big Godzilla that was the size of Iron Maiden’s Eddie was on the fritz. So they used this guy as the stand in.
But the guy in the suit had some serious moves! He was all over the stage, how he didn’t bust his ass was impressive. It was an absolutely fantastic show. Full disclosure….,I was really fucking high. 

• Hook 'Em 2

It was refreshing to see that big digital effects don't have to be used constantly throughout a movie. After a few of the slow/exposition parts, I realized each of the Godzilla scenes was going to be even more badass than the previous. So it was worth waiting through the quiet dialogue scenes (which weren't too cheesy or anything).

• Hook 'Em 1

Fantastic movie, may be the best one yet and for better than any of the newer iterations of the Big Guy.  I will say the ending was rather corny and thought for sure a plot twist was going to happen but never materialized.  The shot of G's head emerging from the rubble was my favorite... 

Screenshot_20231220-165642_kindlephoto-147631232.thumb.png.fd859a5d0449875490cf47f1b88fdd73.png

Noriko was fine as hell. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2023 at 3:13 AM, 59 Burst said:

I saw BOC do that live at the Fox in the early 80’s. They had some guy in an oversize Godzilla suit who came on stage with the dry ice fog after what felt like a five minute introduction. Everyone was thinking WTF. Apparently their big Godzilla that was the size of Iron Maiden’s Eddie was on the fritz. So they used this guy as the stand in.
But the guy in the suit had some serious moves! He was all over the stage, how he didn’t bust his ass was impressive. It was an absolutely fantastic show. Full disclosure….,I was really fucking high. 

Pj-sOM.gif

ed2c01f171cce1fc42827f1aaca9f41773b7e9b5

Edited by Hmbre97
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Saw it in B&W. I liked it in color more but it was still good. 

What an accomplishment this movie was. $15 million budget, originally slated for a 2 week release in the US, and it ended up in theaters for 2 months due to its popularity.

• Hook 'Em 1