Week 4, 2023: Texas @ Baylor

Wulaw Horn

8 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Didn't most of ours come from the Alabama game?

Bama had 10 penalties. Rice had 5, and Wyoming had 3. 

So it's 10-8 split between SEC refs and Big 12 refs, albeit though that the Big 12 took two games to award fewer penalties. But that could have been a function of our opponent - calling penalties on Rice is like smacking a puppy on the nose. Doing it when you don't absolutely have to is cruel. 

40 minutes ago, mr.goodkat said:

fuck him . he had a choice . he chose baylor 

I agree with this sentiment, but I also don’t blame Aranda one bit for that choice. Baylor pays their coaches stupid amounts of money. I promise you he’s making a good bit more than Sark per year. Not a bad way to find out you can’t cut it as a HC. 

15 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It’s funny how Texas fans think refs are out to get UT when all the evidence has always pointed the opposite way if anything. Outside of 2015 ok state anyway.

Funny is watching you reference "evidence" as though you have a clue about evaluating data and understanding statistics. 

10 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

I have more desire to discuss chicken fingers in Charleston than I do to discuss Jesus. 

Well, you probably need him the most, then. 

Also, why would anyone go looking for chicken fingers when visiting Charleston? If you have to have some, I guess go to Bertha's Kitchen. Better yet, substitute that with a replacement of fried flounder and fries from Dave's Carry Out instead. Or, man up with your wallet and go to the Obstinate Garder or Husk or something and actually enjoy some low country goodness. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

you think a fumble in a 31-10 game that was already over is going to kill his playing time forever with the program?

and that Texas will instead move forward with a dude who was held off the practice field in fall camp for reportedly bad attitude?

Confused Vince Vaughn GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

I don’t think anyone on this board should be allowed to discuss Blue until @closetojumping shows us proof he has shitted out the solid gold football he promised the board if Blue was still on the roster this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

I don’t think anyone on this board should be allowed to discuss Blue until @closetojumping shows us proof he has shitted out the solid gold football he promised the board if Blue was still on the roster this year. 

Sir, I thought I'd already made this clear. I shit gold footballs on demand and then sell them on sites like Etsy. Here's recent evidence:

Spoiler

2 Gold Football Charms TierraCast Sports Pendants for Jewelry image 2

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It’s funny how Texas fans think refs are out to get UT when all the evidence has always pointed the opposite way if anything. Outside of 2015 ok state anyway.

What's really amazing is that you still think out loud on this board. Kuddos to you, sir

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Baxter and Brooks are a clear cut above the rest of our RBs. They should be splitting 95% of the carries with the other 5% in a package play with Keilan/Red. Blue really shouldn’t be seeing the field anymore 

Because of one fumble that didn't hurt the team? Seems odd

I've thought he has ran the ball pretty well so far outside of that one fumble. Makes me wish he hadn't "taken" that year off. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Blue looks good in space. Fast and elusive. He doesn't do as well pounding it up the middle. Maybe another year to strengthen, or maybe not his game. I'm surprised not to have seen him run more of the quick out/screen Sark seems to love calling. No criticism of calling that play when Worthy has a shot at scoring every time. Just thought Blue was more of that kind of runner. Hands?

27 minutes ago, BERT said:

I've thought he has ran the ball pretty well so far outside of that one fumble. Makes me wish he hadn't "taken" that year off. 

You are up 21 points with 7 minutes left in the game or whatever it was. The last thing told to every player on the sideline before jogging out on the field is two hands on the football. That is priority 1, 2 and 3. Nothing else matters. 

The fact the fumble didn't hurt the team isn't the point. If you can't trust someone to hold onto the football in a situation where ball security is the first (only) priority then how can he be trusted in any other situation? Fumbles happen in football. I know that. But fumbles in that particular situation are inexcusable. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, BERT said:

I guess we just have different opinions on that. Baxter and Brooks have a better ability to break through tackles, while it seems like the first contact trips Blue up. Blue has more speed than Baxter in Brooks, but if you want a speed guy in the game that doesn’t break through tackles, Keilan is the guy for that imo. The only positive Blue had was ball security, until that fumble last week, which may have been the last straw for him getting meaningful snaps going forward this season barring injuries to other RBs

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Ok I had forgotten that fucking bullshit. Fine if the refs say he wasn’t down (he was), it was grounding then, safety anyway. Fuck

Agree with the first statement - he was DOWN!  However, not grounding since the first person to hit the ball was a Longhorn.   Tipped ball so you can't determine where it would have ended up. 

8 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

You must have missed Wyoming's 3rd quarter drive last week where the refs walked them down the field

Not to mention the 3-4 yards they gave Wyoming for free in the redzone. On 1st and goal at the 8, their Qb ran out of bounds at the 12ish yard line to escape a sack. He didn’t even attempt to throw it away. 

The next play was 2nd and goal at the 8 yard line. Kevin Mar everybody.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

On 9/20/2023 at 11:07 AM, Fud said:

The crazier part about this is that we have good drive efficiency ratings for both points and available-yards.  Inefficient at plays, but efficient at drives. 

We are #11 OFEI right now and #9 DFEI, so not much difference.  Our best phase though is special teams: #3 SFEI.

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

Not to mention the 3-4 yards they gave Wyoming for free in the redzone. On 1st and goal at the 8, their Qb ran out of bounds at the 12ish yard line to escape a sack. He didn’t even attempt to throw it away. 

The next play was 2nd and goal at the 8 yard line. Kevin Mar everybody.

Yeah I noticed that too. I thought that’s why Sark called a timeout to discuss it with the refs/get it reviewed but nothing was done. Refs may have somehow told Sark it wasn’t reviewable or something 

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Ok I had forgotten that fucking bullshit. Fine if the refs say he wasn’t down (he was), it was grounding then, safety anyway. Fuck

No, no, no.......JFC, that was targeting. You didn't see the targeting? The Refs saw exactly what they wanted to see.

Edited by Longhornlove

48 minutes ago, JBJ said:

The crazier part about this is that we have good drive efficiency ratings for both points and available-yards.  Inefficient at plays, but efficient at drives. 

We are #11 OFEI right now and #9 DFEI, so not much difference.  Our best phase though is special teams: #3 SFEI.

FEI uses prior seasons' data and recruiting rankings similar to SP+ and FPI, right?

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

You are up 21 points with 7 minutes left in the game or whatever it was. The last thing told to every player on the sideline before jogging out on the field is two hands on the football. That is priority 1, 2 and 3. Nothing else matters. 

The fact the fumble didn't hurt the team isn't the point. If you can't trust someone to hold onto the football in a situation where ball security is the first (only) priority then how can he be trusted in any other situation? Fumbles happen in football. I know that. But fumbles in that particular situation are inexcusable. 

here is the video of the fumble - direct link to the drive where it happens.

https://youtu.be/nZmbQR4G4vk?t=2384

it happened because of a football play - not like he was holding it away from body, holding it poorly, it just was the kind of thing that happens.

ball is in his right hand. the guy between him and Connor (who is on the ground) somehow gets a hand around and pulls it out. not knocks it out. dude wasn't TRYING to cause a fumble, just tackle him

screenshots below:

Spoiler

image.png.0bbf665e92959943e86317516ce1fc68.png

image.png.9bdd8b1f8a4ee674e5beffa2a06a6416.png

image.png.710fe0de70a352d3616bcf9fa0b97850.png

image.png.22114dc69f6a4d03756ba06a17d0b962.png

then the ball somehow bounces exactly into a dudes hands - because of course it does - guy leans over and bounces directly back up into a guys hands.

same view from the other side - he's holding it right - dude just reaches out to slow him down with his arm and happens to knock it out.

Spoiler

image.png.d03600788cd374c344ee6cc5ca3f1681.png

image.png.ce0dc77e75470e3e27d96180002db8f4.png

image.png.f86cdb036cf896577da3b9bb440d4490.png

and

Spoiler

image.png.3ed841f782af2fc324f34b3779029434.png

image.png.c1a23e64e10d0f2b34954dc18970bc0e.png

knocked out and hits his thigh pad

image.png.a9c42802553dddffbaa50dd52844c8d1.png

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, JBJ said:

#30 in OPP (yards per play), #26 in drive efficiency, #16 in points per drive, #26 in available yards %, #24 in drives ending in TDs, #34 in "value drive rate" (drives that get 30 yards or a TD), #62 in bust drive rate (0 or negative yards) and #1 with 0 turnover rate - the fumble above happened in garbage time.

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

here is the video of the fumble - direct link to the drive where it happens.

https://youtu.be/nZmbQR4G4vk?t=2384

it happened because of a football play - not like he was holding it away from body, holding it poorly, it just was the kind of thing that happens.

ball is in his right hand. the guy between him and Connor (who is on the ground) somehow gets a hand around and pulls it out. not knocks it out. dude wasn't TRYING to cause a fumble, just tackle him

screenshots below:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.0bbf665e92959943e86317516ce1fc68.png

image.png.9bdd8b1f8a4ee674e5beffa2a06a6416.png

image.png.710fe0de70a352d3616bcf9fa0b97850.png

image.png.22114dc69f6a4d03756ba06a17d0b962.png

then the ball somehow bounces exactly into a dudes hands - because of course it does - guy leans over and bounces directly back up into a guys hands.

same view from the other side - he's holding it right - dude just reaches out to slow him down with his arm and happens to knock it out.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.d03600788cd374c344ee6cc5ca3f1681.png

image.png.ce0dc77e75470e3e27d96180002db8f4.png

image.png.f86cdb036cf896577da3b9bb440d4490.png

and

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.3ed841f782af2fc324f34b3779029434.png

image.png.c1a23e64e10d0f2b34954dc18970bc0e.png

knocked out and hits his thigh pad

image.png.a9c42802553dddffbaa50dd52844c8d1.png

Yeah can't be too hard on him, though in the situation -- timing and traffic -- he should have had both arms around the ball.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Yeah I noticed that too. I thought that’s why Sark called a timeout to discuss it with the refs/get it reviewed but nothing was done. Refs may have somehow told Sark it wasn’t reviewable or something 

They should have opted to review it or it should have been buzzed from upstairs considering the field judge got taken out on the play and should have confirmed where he stepped out if he didn’t get blasted. But hard to do that when the crew chief is a gaping butthole of a human being 

Someone mentioned this a few days ago and it made sense when I heard it (even if I don’t agree with it). Apparently in college, spot of the ball can only be reviewed or challenged if it’s impacting a first down or change of possession. I guess they put that rule in place because if not teams would be challenging 1 yard differences on a 2nd and 8 vs 2nd and 7. Rulebook probably wasn’t created with the thought that a ref would miss a spot as badly as they did Saturday.

So that is why the ref said the play was not able to be challenged.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Someone mentioned this a few days ago and it made sense when I heard it (even if I don’t agree with it). In college, spot of the ball can only be reviewed or challenged if it’s impacting a first down or change of possession. I guess they put that rule in place because if not teams would be challenging 1 yard differences on a 2nd and 8 vs 2nd and 7.

So that is why the ref said the play was not able to be challenged.

But how does this affect Jaydon Blue? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BarthHollamew said:

Sark needs to drop the hammer. Stop messing around. 

Also, I’d love to watch a series using a 5-wide set with Worthy, Whit, Cook, Mitchell, Neyor just to see an opposing DC and secondary poop themselves.  

I'm sorry, are you actually trying to talk about the Baylor game in this thread?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Rage+1 1