Surly kids who can't get into UT

texasdago

10 hours ago, BeardIP said:

If you can't get into UT you likely can't get into UF or Georgia either, though.

UT:  average SAT 1355, average GPA 3.83

UF:  average SAT 1360, average GPA 4.42

UGA:  average SAT 1325, average GPA 4.00

I'm going to refrain from editorializing, but I have some thoughts.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

If you can make B / A in hs math, you can pass college math. My small school offered free tutoring for all classes 

The math for engineering is over blown, needs to be cut back. You don’t need cal3, DiffyEQ, or a higher level math. You do need a good stats class. All majors should take stats 

the only math I use 4% of everything I invoice = big paychecks 

Your perspective is not universal.  I literally use DiffEQ every day.  I've stumbled my way through a couple of stats issues maybe twice in my career.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Texas Jeff said:

During our visits, we started talking about the "Rah rah" of each campus, meaning how much did it feel like you were part of a community while you were there, how much school spirit did you see.  A&M did that better than anyone else.  

i mean...lol

giphy(1)(3).gif.5bc4b1e07ab8379be6c9c0bfeda1e6a6.gif

i've shared my niece's umprompted reaction to our aggy tour..."is this a cult??these people are weird!" 😄

UNT is big. it's a nice campus, but the surrounding prairie and shitty Denton is wearing on her. she really just wants to gtfo of Texas asap. but she only has a year left! 😊

i'll say this... setting up her TTF in 2002 just before prices started jumping was the best decision i ever made. we (family) had to subsidize a little for housing her first semester...after that UNT just started throwing money at her. and she's been working since her sophomore year. we haven't had to supplement since then... and she's graduating with zero school debt. amazing in this day and age. we got really, really lucky with timing, and she's done the work to be the kind of student UNT wants to keep happy and reward with $$.

good luck to all surly kiddos! 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Oldest went to SMU and luckily crushed it. Received scholarship to SMU Law. Graduating Spring ‘24 and has already signed her offer letter for big law starting Fall ‘24.

Youngest…clicked the deny button on her UT acceptance because she already had been accepted to Vandy ED. That one was a crusher as I was right by her when she did it. I tried hard to get her to stay here. But the decision was hers. 

Both graduations are on the same damn day in the Spring. I need a teleporter.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, crash_davis said:

My conversation with my daughter when she was considering being a teacher.

Me: Teaching is a noble profession. But, let me ask you a few questions. Do you like having all these nice clothes?

Her: Yes

Me: Do you like going on vacations to nice places and staying in nice resorts?

Me: Do you like eating sushi a few times a month?

Me: Well, you're not doing any of that on a teacher's salary.

Her: (light bulb moment!)

She could GTFO of Texas and make over $100K teaching in year 9 in Massachusetts.

2023 -2024 Boston, Massachusetts Bachelor’s Teacher Salary Chart:

Year’s Bachelor B+15
1 $63,806 $65,832
2 $71,021 $73,397
3 $74,990 $77,374
4 $78,972 $81,356
5 $82,941 $85,626
6 $87,593 $90,262
7 $92,893 $95,567
8 $98,256 $100,926
9 $102,913 $105,586
10 $102,913 $105,586
  • Hook 'Em 4

16 hours ago, crash_davis said:

My conversation with my daughter when she was considering being a teacher.

Me: Teaching is a noble profession. But, let me ask you a few questions. Do you like having all these nice clothes?

Me: Do you like going on vacations to nice places and staying in nice resorts?

Me: Do you like eating sushi a few times a month?

Me: Well, you're not doing any of that on a teacher's salary.

Her: (light bulb moment!)

So your telling her to be an influencer? Do I have that right?

11 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Does anyone have experience with the CAP program? Have 3 daughters. Oldest is in 7th grade and an A student but I understand how competitive it is now. Her dream is Dell Medical School eventually but also has her heart set on Texas for undergrad. 

When I was in HS it was called provisionals and you had to go to summer school and maintain a certain GPA after which you were admitted. I didn’t want to go to summer school so I went to ACC expecting to eventually transfer in (back when that was a realistic possibility). Like so many I fucked around and tanked my GPA. Then 9/11 happened and I joined the military. I eventually went back to school, graduated from Texas State and got my Masters degree from Texas.  I say all that because I think it’s important for my girls to know there is more than one way to end up at your dream school. Hence the CAP question.

The kids going to UT thread has plenty of posts about the CAP.  Here are my daughters' experiences (no pics):

Oldest wanted to go to Texas.  Not auto admit and the year 2021 was a terrible time to get in as a freshman because so many kids deferred the previous year because of Covid.  Ended up with a CAP offer.  She was really down due to not getting into Texas, but I convinced her to be proud of the CAP offer - there are plenty of kids that don't get that.  She did a year at UTSA and did great.  Automatically admitted to the College of Liberal Arts (which is what the CAP offers).  She wasn't sure what she wanted to study and chose economics.  Later in the semester she realized the CoLA offered both a BA and a BS in economics.  She switched to the BS as it required much more math and stats - which expands her opportunities more than economic theory.  She's in her junior year and doing great.

Youngest graduated HS this year.  She wants to be a physical therapist.  Applied to UT for biology and also received a CAP offer.  We sat down and talked about it.  If she really wanted to go to UT, then take the CAP offer.  However, she would not be guaranteed that ability to study biology as CAP only guarantees admission into the CoLA.  If she really wanted to be a physical therapist - go to a school that she could study biology from the beginning.  Texas State has a great PT school and she was offered a scholarship.  She decided that TXST was the best path for her future.

TL;DR - if your kid want to go to Texas and is fine with a liberal arts major, then CAP is an excellent way to get there.  If your kid's only path to Texas is CAP but does not want a liberal arts degree, it might be better to find the best alternative.

• Hook 'Em 6

24 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

She wasn't sure what she wanted to study and chose economics.  Later in the semester she realized the CoLA offered both a BA and a BS in economics.  She switched to the BS as it required much more math and stats - which expands her opportunities more than economic theory.  She's in her junior year and doing great.

Good for her.  Wife's step-cousin did that.  He didn't get into the biz school directly so he went the econ route and then got his MBA and is working on Wall Street now.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Texas State has a great PT school and she was offered a scholarship.  She decided that TXST was the best path for her future.

I've noticed quite a few PTs at Lifetime in South Austin come from Texas State.  Makes sense.

I would definitely vote for Texas State over TTU just because F Tech but, if I were to give it a positive mark, Lubbock is closer to skiing.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Some people can't justify paying $100k-200k+ for college per kid without some kind of expected payback though. It's more of a reality than a philosophy.

This is one of the single biggest fallacies in Liberal Arts cost analysis:  That the price listed on the tuition page is what you will pay. Virtually all quality Liberal Arts schools provide grants and tuition assistance to bring the cost down, often by over half.   Premier Liberal Arts schools often waive tuition for families with incomes under 100k.   If  you are looking out of state, and money is an issue, and you have a bright child who is not going to quite make the 6-7% at their Texas HS, investigate liberal arts schools.  Your almost certain to get a better deal than out of state public schools. 

Hell, my oldest is at Trinity in San Antonio, and with merit and need based aid, it ended up being cheaper than Maryland in state.  My youngest is at Oregon, and out side of some merit aid and tuition lock, he's going to cost me significantly more than Boy #1. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

UF, like UT, strongly favors instate applicants.  It's hard to get into Florida OOS. Georgia, as I recall, had a very acclerated application process.  Like you needed to get all your stuff in by mid October or something.  That's just a bridge too far even in motivated OOS families with a senior. 

Edited by Bateshorn

Our kids are still several years away from having to make this decision, but the wife and I were casually talking about this the other day. 

I'd love for my kids to be 4th generation Longhorns, but also wouldn't mind for a moment (except perhaps financially) if they chose an elite school like one in the Ivy League, Stanford, Rice, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, etc. Wife went to A&M so she'd definitely be fine with them picking A&M, too, but recognizes that UT is more highly rated. The concern we'd have is if they couldn't get into one of the elites or either of our alma maters. What's next? (Btw, not meaning to offend anyone on here.)

SMU/TCU - Both (but especially SMU) are extremely close to us in proximity, so not sure they'd get a full college experience being so close to home. Also not sure the bang for the buck is worth it.
Baylor - Expensive and strong on religion that isn't our own.
UTD - Also very close to home and seems to lack any traditional college atmosphere whatsoever. Would be great for STEM but would seem boring AF.
Houston - I don't know a ton about UofH. I feel like it has improved, but is it still largely a commuter school? Also, are you locking yourself into to only Houston-area positions for job prospects?
Tech - The next largest "name brand" state school after UT & A&M with most of which comes with being a big Texas school, but it's still waaaay down in the rankings. Appears to have a decent network throughout most of the state, but Lubbock sucks.
Generic SEC state school - Would be at a flagship school in a somewhat neighboring state, but generally poorly rated.
UNT/TxSt/SH/SFA/Tarleton - Similar to Tech, aside from being in a better location than Lubbock, but also worse in the rankings.

If mine couldn't get into an elite school not named UT, I think I'd encourage them to keep their nose in a book for a year at UTA before being able to transfer to UT.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

I was curious, so I looked up enrollment numbers for Texas public schools, in this case from Fall 2022.
Here is everyone with an enrollment over 20k, which is about 80% of the Texas public university enrollment.

The Aggies are growing their main campus but UT is putting together a system:

• Texas A&M: 67,165
  • UT Austin: 52,189
  • U of H: 46,580
  • UNT: 44,349
  • UT Arlington: 40,942
  • Texas Tech: 39,743
  • Texas State: 38,171
  • UT San Antonio: 33,557
  • UT Dallas: 31,570
  • UT RGV: 31,317
  • UT El Paso: 23,880
  • Sam Houston: 20,996

Other UT System:

• SFA: 11,232
  • UT Tyler: 8,968
  • UT Permian Basin: 5,250

Other former SWC Texas schools:

• Baylor: 20,709
  • TCU: 12,273
  • SMU: 7,056
  • Rice: 4,494

Any surprises on this list?  I didn't realize that UNT and U of H were that big....

You appear to be mixing total enrollment with undergrad enrollment for some of these. For example you have SMU and Rice's undergrad enrollment listed and Baylor and TCU's total enrollment. 

(saw that you fixed it)

Edited by ztejas

13 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

IIRC, Mizzou's enrollment is hemorrhaging badly, partly because kids from KC and StL consider its location unappealing.  

This reminds me of a guy I met from Abilene who chose UTEP over Tech because even though the school was probably better he said Lubbock was too much of a shithole for him. 

13 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

You and me both brother. Was hitting 99th percentile on standardized tests starting in 3rd grade. Nailed the SAT hungover as hell. Day 1 of the Bar exam was the multi state (standardized), I was the first person in an auditorium of 500+ to finish.
My grades, on the other hand, which depended on my self discipline and dedication….they were…fine. I wouldn’t get into UT today.

Yeah same here. A few years ago my company paid for me to take a high-stakes professional certification exam that many of my clients take in order to be more credible. 4 hours long, if you fail, you don't get to take it again for like 6 months etc. I didn't have time to take a class, but I hit the books, read on planes, etc. But mind you I had ZERO direct experience with the day to day of this profession I'm getting certified for.
Other people in the testing place who were taking it would literally not get promotions or keep jobs they had been hired for if they didn't pass, and had been working towards this moment for years. Before the test, one of them asked me what I did and how long I had been in the field.  I said "I'm not, I'm in business development. But if I don't pass it will be really embarassing," and the reaction was like this:
dave-chappelle-boo-this-man.gif

13 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I guess I simply have a different philosophy on college than most here.  I don’t want my kids to look at majors based on earning potential.  That’s what grad school is for.  They’re looking at small Liberal Arts schools, primarily on the East Coast. 

Look this is fine - everybody has their own calculus. But for most people outside the 1%, for most of whom grad school is not on the table, there are a lot of schools and majors that are worth it for $25k but just don't pencil out at 2023 prices, especially given the poor economic prospects for well-read generalists who do not also have some kind of specialized expertise or demonstrated aptitude in an in-demand field. I want my kids to be well rounded and self-actualized as well. I do not want to fork over $300k or even $100k for my girls to be told to read Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance unless ther brand prestige and social network of the school is so immense that it opens doors to career advancement. 

IOW - college in 2023 for most people is to prepare for the workforce. Learning is over a lifetime and mostly available free.   

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, FunDip said:

My best friend went to UO. He was born and raised in SF, but couldn't get into any good Cali schools, and UO was easy. He's 15 years older than applicants today, but when he was going to UO it was known as the Bay Area safety school where kids in SF go who want a party school with decent education and career prospects.

And Oregon Ducks football fans are surprisingly rabid and delusional.

During the OU-Colorado game, we were joking that there were a lot of rich Cali kids who didn't get into their first choice UC school in the stands on both sides. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, txduck87 said:

Haven’t seen any discussion of Clemson in the thread? Thoughts? Engineering and or business school knowledge?

A couple of their now-retired engineering profs are close friends of my family.  Specifically, they taught at the same school as my dad but both took positions at Clemson.  They were very happy with the school (in this case, ceramic engineering and civil engineering).

22 minutes ago, txduck87 said:

Haven’t seen any discussion of Clemson in the thread? Thoughts? Engineering and or business school knowledge?

My wife's uncle went to Clemson (CS degree) and spent his entire career working as a solutions architect for various telecommunications companies in the Research Triangle.  

12 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I’ll say it here - it blows my mind to see surly kids get into UT, but not get into engineering and they decide that a random degree from UT is better than an engineering degree from a smaller state school. 

go get an engineering degree if you can. You’re an engineer for life. That degree carries a lot of weight with all companies for the rest of your life. Ut RGV engineers are getting hired by every company that recruits ut Austin / collie station. The same for several other smaller engineering programs around the state 

Engineering may be different but for my business school ass and for my friends in Liberal Arts, Journalism or what have you, where mattered more than what by a gigantic margin.  I specifically recall a Big accounting /consulting firm offering jobs to UT English majors but telling BBAs from directional schools to go to grad school.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Bateshorn said:

This is where I'm going to pitch this board on Trinity:  San Antonio, and the school is rich AF.  My Son has loved his time there. If you are interested, apply Early Admissions.  

That’s a great school but exceedingly tough to get into.  Our kids’ college counselor puts it up with the schools like Scripps, Bates, and Williams for selectiveness.  

32 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

This is one of the single biggest fallacies in Liberal Arts cost analysis:  That the price listed on the tuition page is what you will pay. Virtually all quality Liberal Arts schools provide grants and tuition assistance to bring the cost down, often by over half.   Premier Liberal Arts schools often waive tuition for families with incomes under 100k.   If  you are looking out of state, and money is an issue, and you have a bright child who is not going to quite make the 6-7% at their Texas HS, investigate liberal arts schools.  Your almost certain to get a better deal than out of state public schools. 

Hell, my oldest is at Trinity in San Antonio, and with merit and need based aid, it ended up being cheaper than Maryland in state.  My youngest is at Oregon, and out side of some merit aid and tuition lock, he's going to cost me significantly more than Boy #1. 

Ivy league graduates leave school with far less debt than public school graduates no matter their parents income. If you are a top student (who happen to more than not come from well to do families) schools won't lose out because of cost (even though they are more likely to actually be able to afford it).  For the majority of students though it becomes a lot tougher.

38 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

This reminds me of a guy I met from Abilene who chose UTEP over Tech because even though the school was probably better he said Lubbock was too much of a shithole for him. 

Yeah same here. A few years ago my company paid for me to take a high-stakes professional certification exam that many of my clients take in order to be more credible. 4 hours long, if you fail, you don't get to take it again for like 6 months etc. I didn't have time to take a class, but I hit the books, read on planes, etc. But mind you I had ZERO direct experience with the day to day of this profession I'm getting certified for.
Other people in the testing place who were taking it would literally not get promotions or keep jobs they had been hired for if they didn't pass, and had been working towards this moment for years. Before the test, one of them asked me what I did and how long I had been in the field.  I said "I'm not, I'm in business development. But if I don't pass it will be really embarassing," and the reaction was like this:
dave-chappelle-boo-this-man.gif

Look this is fine - everybody has their own calculus. But for most people outside the 1%, for most of whom grad school is not on the table, there are a lot of schools and majors that are worth it for $25k but just don't pencil out at 2023 prices, especially given the poor economic prospects for well-read generalists who do not also have some kind of specialized expertise or demonstrated aptitude in an in-demand field. I want my kids to be well rounded and self-actualized as well. I do not want to fork over $300k or even $100k for my girls to be told to read Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance unless ther brand prestige and social network of the school is so immense that it opens doors to career advancement. 

IOW - college in 2023 for most people is to prepare for the workforce. Learning is over a lifetime and mostly available free.   

As parents, most of us went to a university when it was cheap, and the "experience" wasn't cost prohibitive. That has all changed today. For STEM, any in-state ABET certified engineering program will do, if the student maintains a high GPA. I got my kid out with no student debt. He has been on the slow boat to Lockheed (security clearances, new fiscal year) and is on target for three positions. He already owns property in our subdivision, wants to build a house and stay close. He really hasn't put in a lot of applications, but has been interviewed for all of the ones he has put in, and turned down a couple of positions. He is interviewing for a design engineering position, this morning, here in Granbury. Design is what he wants to do, and if the compensation is the same, he will probably take it over Lockheed.

People that want to let their kids go out of state or private for a degree in teaching, social work, marine biology, and the like are insane. Save that money to help your kid get something worthwhile, like a badass honeymoon, or a down payment on a house. Send them to Texas State, SFA, Tarleton, UNT, etc.

As far as resumes and cover letters? Companies don't want to hear about your personal goals and aspirations. They want to see your experience, that you are wanting to learn, and you will put the companies interest before your own as a new grad.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

It is with some level of trepidation that I post this …

I have not one, but two Aggie children. (We’re in the trust tree right guys?!?)

Daughter graduated from TAMU in 2022 and son will graduate in 25 or 26.

Keep in mind that both of these kids were in burnt orange from the day they were born.

Both applied and were accepted to UT, my daughter got her first choice major (Natural Sciences) but liked the “feel” of the A&M campus more.  We had been on the UT campus countless times, for games, while she was growing up but when we were at UT and A&M on consecutive days for campus tours in 2017 there was a pretty stark difference in which seemed more welcoming.  I was in disbelief, but it was even apparent to me.  I started at UT in 1989 and honestly, A&M now feels a lot more like UT did in the late 80s / early 90s than UT does now in my opinion.  Whether that is a good thing or not is probably a matter of personal preference.

Fast forward a few years and when my son was deciding where to go (UT, TAMU, GA, UNC, TN) He was accepted to UT but didn’t get his first choice (McCombs) He was always my sports watching buddy,  Horns fan to the core guy.  I found myself pulling for TAMU as his school of choice because of what a great experience my daughter had while there and, honestly what a great job they do of creating a community (cult 😨) of the students on campus. My 25-year-old self would never have believed those thoughts would have entered my 50-year-old self’s mind.  I still can’t believe it sometimes.  He picked TAMU also and has loved it.  Low point was as he was packing his stuff to go to college his Freshman year, he brought down a stack of Longhorn hoodies, t-shirts, shorts, etc. and said, “I don’t really know what to do with these.” I died, just a bit at that moment. Ha ha

I still have a 10-year-old at home who is wearing the burnt orange faithfully and even went to Tuscaloosa with me, but if I’m being honest it wouldn’t shock me if he eventually made a different choice when the time is right.

I do agree with those who are saying that generations of Texas kids either not choosing UT for various reasons, or not having UT as an option is going to change the dynamics of campus and ultimately the state over time. Again, whether that is a good thing or not is up for debate.

Good luck to all the Surly kids whatever they may choose.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, orange dream said:

It is with some level of trepidation that I post this …

I have not one, but two Aggie children. (We’re in the trust tree right guys?!?)

Daughter graduated from TAMU in 2022 and son will graduate in 25 or 26.

Keep in mind that both of these kids were in burnt orange from the day they were born.

Both applied and were accepted to UT, my daughter got her first choice major (Natural Sciences) but liked the “feel” of the A&M campus more.  We had been on the UT campus countless times, for games, while she was growing up but when we were at UT and A&M on consecutive days for campus tours in 2017 there was a pretty stark difference in which seemed more welcoming.  I was in disbelief, but it was even apparent to me.  I started at UT in 1989 and honestly, A&M now feels a lot more like UT did in the late 80s / early 90s than UT does now in my opinion.  Whether that is a good thing or not is probably a matter of personal preference.

Fast forward a few years and when my son was deciding where to go (UT, TAMU, GA, UNC, TN) He was accepted to UT but didn’t get his first choice (McCombs) He was always my sports watching buddy,  Horns fan to the core guy.  I found myself pulling for TAMU as his school of choice because of what a great experience my daughter had while there and, honestly what a great job they do of creating a community (cult 😨) of the students on campus. My 25-year-old self would never have believed those thoughts would have entered my 50-year-old self’s mind.  I still can’t believe it sometimes.  He picked TAMU also and has loved it.  Low point was as he was packing his stuff to go to college his Freshman year, he brought down a stack of Longhorn hoodies, t-shirts, shorts, etc. and said, “I don’t really know what to do with these.” I died, just a bit at that moment. Ha ha

I still have a 10-year-old at home who is wearing the burnt orange faithfully and even went to Tuscaloosa with me, but if I’m being honest it wouldn’t shock me if he eventually made a different choice when the time is right.

I do agree with those who are saying that generations of Texas kids either not choosing UT for various reasons, or not having UT as an option is going to change the dynamics of campus and ultimately the state over time. Again, whether that is a good thing or not is up for debate.

Good luck to all the Surly kids whatever they may choose.

No shame in this post. Good on your kids.

As a parent, all you want is for them to be happy, fulfilled and self-reliant. Doesn't really matter what avenue is taken to get there.

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

My son is interested in computer science with a security specialization. One of his buddies is doing that now at UNT, and that kids older brother did it and got a 100% remote $120K/year job working for a big tech company. They hired him middle of his last semester and he started two weeks after he graduated. 

UTSA has a great comp sci - security program.  The NSA down there hires a lot of folks directly as well.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm guessing that UT GPA is unweighted while the other two are weighted (+.5 for advanced and +1.0 for AP).  My daughter has a weighted GPA of 4.8 and is barely in the top 1/4 of her class.

My son graduated from HS in May and is now in the CAP program at UT Tyler.  Because of his HS rank, he was offered UTEP or UT Tyler as his CAP options.  He got into Tech and LSU, and I told him he should just go to Tech, but he really wants to end up at UT, so off to UT Tyler he went in August.  He took a couple of online courses this summer and got two A's, so started off on the right foot.  If he has at least a 3.20 after 30 hours at Tyler, he is automatically accepted to UT.  So, just needs B's (and nothing lower of course) from here on out and he'll be in Austin next year.   Another another note, paying for college sucks Donkey balls. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

This is where I'm going to pitch this board on Trinity:  San Antonio, and the school is rich AF.  My Son has loved his time there. If you are interested, apply Early Admissions.  

My daughter got offered a Trinity Tower Scholarship and turned it down.  Took me a little while to get over that.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Ivy league graduates leave school with far less debt than public school graduates no matter their parents income. If you are a top student (who happen to more than not come from well to do families) schools won't lose out because of cost (even though they are more likely to actually be able to afford it).  For the majority of students though it becomes a lot tougher.

Pure tuition at Ivies tends to be exceedingly cheap. Look at the Best Value list on USNWR and it’s Harvard,MIT, etc 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

I was curious, so I looked up enrollment numbers for Texas public schools, in this case from Fall 2022.
Here is everyone with an enrollment over 20k, which is about 80% of the Texas public university enrollment.

The Aggies are growing their main campus but UT is putting together a system:

• Texas A&M: 67,165
  • UT Austin: 52,189
  • U of H: 46,580
  • UNT: 44,349
  • UT Arlington: 40,942
  • Texas Tech: 39,743
  • Texas State: 38,171
  • UT San Antonio: 33,557
  • UT Dallas: 31,570
  • UT RGV: 31,317
  • UT El Paso: 23,880
  • Sam Houston: 20,996

Other UT System:

• SFA: 11,232
  • UT Tyler: 8,968
  • UT Permian Basin: 5,250

Other former SWC Texas schools:

• Baylor: 20,709
  • TCU: 12,273
  • SMU: 7,056
  • Rice: 4,494

Any surprises on this list?  I didn't realize that UNT and U of H were that big....

AM - CC is busting at the seams, they have to be creeping up on 20k

16 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

My son graduated from HS in May and is now in the CAP program at UT Tyler.  Because of his HS rank, he was offered UTEP or UT Tyler as his CAP options.  He got into Tech and LSU, and I told him he should just go to Tech, but he really wants to end up at UT, so off to UT Tyler he went in August.  He took a couple of online courses this summer and got two A's, so started off on the right foot.  If he has at least a 3.20 after 30 hours at Tyler, he is automatically accepted to UT.  So, just needs B's (and nothing lower of course) from here on out and he'll be in Austin next year.   Another another note, paying for college sucks Donkey balls. 

EXACT same story for my son.  He's one year ahead of yours, living on west campus, and loving it.

Tyler is a weird town.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

At least for Edinburgh, Glasgow and Oxford/Cambridge grades don't count. It's only ACT/SAT + AP Test Scores. For Edinburgh for her major I think it it was at least 4 4s, and one of them had to be BC calculus, plus a 1300+ SAT score. For Oxford it was four 5s, and one of them had to be BC calculus, plus a 1480 SAT score. 

do they not consider IB qualifications?  

18 hours ago, Grimas said:

Employers of students graduating in finance that year include:

Baptist College Ministries BC Shumen BKD CPAs & Advisors BOK Financial Cinemark Theatres Deloitte EY LLPFellowship of Catholic University Students (FOCUS) Fleming Construction Group George Kaiser Family Foundation Goldman Sachs JPMorgan Chase & Co. Magellan Midstream Partners, L.P. Northstar Wealth Management Nuance Communications Verizon Volkswagen Group of America Walmart Corporate

15 hours ago, FunDip said:

Agreed “lots of” was not the appropriate words as in that link nobody from that year, not even one, were recruited to Blackrock.

Goldman and JPM were trying to build out their personal wealth management arms at that time.  There were lots of hires (and a couple years later lay-offs) associated with those branches.  I'm not offering that as an explanation for your anecdotes, just chiming in with what we were seeing.

13 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I’ll say it here - it blows my mind to see surly kids get into UT, but not get into engineering and they decide that a random degree from UT is better than an engineering degree from a smaller state school. 

go get an engineering degree if you can. You’re an engineer for life. That degree carries a lot of weight with all companies for the rest of your life. Ut RGV engineers are getting hired by every company that recruits ut Austin / collie station. The same for several other smaller engineering programs around the state 

my 12 year old 7th grader wants to be an architectural engineer.  our goal is to get him in to cockrell for the dual degree program in arch E and architecture but man... i dunno.  his grades are all high As (lowest grade last year was a 97, this year so far his lowest grade is a 90 in social studies....).  if he didn't get in to UT what would be the best options for arch E in texas or elsewhere?

similarly, our 5th grader wants to be a cardiologist.  he's smarter than our 7th grader but hasn't had to work at all.  100th percentile in all of his state tests.   does anyone know, would it make that big of a difference for him to go to baylor instead of UT for his undergrad?  

1 minute ago, gsoda3 said:

my 12 year old 7th grader wants to be an architectural engineer.  our goal is to get him in to cockrell for the dual degree program in arch E and architecture but man... i dunno.  his grades are all high As (lowest grade last year was a 97, this year so far his lowest grade is a 90 in social studies....).  if he didn't get in to UT what would be the best options for arch E in texas or elsewhere?

similarly, our 5th grader wants to be a cardiologist.  he's smarter than our 7th grader but hasn't had to work at all.  100th percentile in all of his state tests.   does anyone know, would it make that big of a difference for him to go to baylor instead of UT for his undergrad?  

Jesus. Let them be kids for a second.