Argylle (Feb 2024) Matthew Vaughn Does Spy Comedy w/Bryce Dallas Howard, Sam Rockwell, Henry Cavill, John Cena, Samuel L. Jackson, Catherine O'Hara, Bryan Cranston

atomheartbevo

Spoiler

Bryce Dallas Howard (Jurassic World franchise) is Elly Conway, the reclusive author of a series of best-selling espionage novels, whose idea of bliss is a night at home with her computer and her cat, Alfie. But when the plots of Elly’s fictional books—which center on secret agent Argylle and his mission to unravel a global spy syndicate—begin to mirror the covert actions of a real-life spy organization, quiet evenings at home become a thing of the past.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Is this based off something successful, because the trailers and premise make it look unwatchable.  I had just been assuming this was a Netflix movie

It's from Matthew Vaughn. He did Kingsman (all 3), Kick-Ass, X-Men: First Class. If you didn't like those, you won't like this.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, RPM said:

It's from Matthew Vaughn. He did Kingsman (all 3), Kick-Ass, X-Men: First Class. If you didn't like those, you won't like this.

Loved those movies and didn't realize the same guy did all of them.  That being said this still looks awful.  

• Hook 'Em 1

So the big secret is largely spoiled and the first of a planned trilogy is getting trashed as a big pile of crap.

It's a testament to the sadness of my life that I'm still on the fence about seeing it this weekend. Maybe the audience score will bring some hope.

16 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I have to get use out of my Alamo Season Pass, so we will see it on Sunday.

Great idea, I swear they make easy money off customers like me. I forget most of the time that's a thing I pay for. 

The first Kingsman was dumb but fun.  This one was more just dumb.

On 9/28/2023 at 2:06 PM, rage-a-holic said:

They need to put Bryce on a treadmill.

Yeah...it was noticeable.

Argylle has bone-deep structural issues on a fundamental level, but it is also a failure of directorial execution from top to bottom, resulting in what has to be one of the most expensive worst movies ever made. It’s honestly fascinating — something that should be studied in a lab.

From the LA Times review. lol

• Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 hours ago, YChang said:

Great idea, I swear they make easy money off customers like me. I forget most of the time that's a thing I pay for. 

Same here. I'm cancelling later this month. I have a calendar reminder set for the day before the next payment.

On 2/3/2024 at 9:06 PM, Guadaloopy said:

I have a pretty high threshold for calling a movie complete shit.  This movie blew right through it.  Not one redeeming quality.  I’m blown away that it could be this bad with that cast.    

It's not the worst movie I've ever seen.  But it's the one that makes me the angriest.

You had Bryan Cranston and Catherine O'Hara and Sam Rockwell in a cast, and this is the shit you turned out?  I mean, fucking seriously?  Its only redeeming quality was that it wasn't badly acted.  The decent acting just revealed how awful everything else was.

I sweatergawd, I was ready to leave after the first scene.  Actually, in the middle of the first scene.  The CGI was so distractingly bad, and the plot really made no sense (so there's a lounge full of beautiful people all drinking and partying at 7:00 AM in Santorini, and literally every one of them is a spy/hitman/hitwoman?).  And honestly, that was probably the high point.

Goddamn, it was so bad.

Edited by Ghost of LL
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2024 at 10:21 AM, Ghost of LL said:

It's not the worst movie I've ever seen.  But it's the one that makes me the angriest.

You had Bryan Cranston and Catherine O'Hara and Sam Rockwell in a cast, and this is the shit you turned out?  I mean, fucking seriously?  It's only redeeming quality was that it wasn't badly acted.  The decent acting just revealed how awful everything else was.

I sweatergawd, I was ready to leave after the first scene.  Actually, in the middle of the first scene.  The CGI was so distractingly bad, and the plot really made no sense (so there's a lounge full of beautiful people all drinking and partying at 7:00 AM in Santorini, and literally every one of them is a spy/hitman/hitwoman?).  And honestly, that was probably the high point.

Goddamn, it was so bad.

I walked out about 45-1 hour in. This was, well, this was a movie that should never have been made. I really Sam Rockwell so it was not fun walking out of a movie he’s in. I am loathe to criticize movies as a whole because not everyone likes the same kind of style of movie or genre, but this was a trainwreck of a movie from what I watched.