Week 6, 2023: Red River shootout.

Wulaw Horn

OU had Mims and Gray last year at WR and RB.  They have a bunch of spares this year.  We are going to kick the fuck out of them in the trenches.  And that idiot QB who likes to run too much is going to get knocked the fuck out by Catalon running with a full head of steam. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

Win this weekend (especially convincingly) and Texas might be ranked 1. 
Depends on Bama not laying an egg at aggy, but if they win that one (and we take care of business with the gooners) we'll own the two best wins of the remaining undefeated teams.

11 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

…I grew up calling it, and we still call it The OU Game…OU Weekend…or even just OU

Man when I was a boy it was called the Red River War, then Red River Shootout, then Red River Rivalry and finally the Red River Showdown. 

It will always be Red River Shootout to me. Lots of folks call it Texas-OU weekend, but if you grew up in east Dallas or anywhere near Fair Park like I did, we called it South Dallas Super Bowl. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Probably right but OU has played nowhere near the level of defense as Texas. Here are the defensive efficiency rankings of teams OU has played. 

Arkansas State #120

SMU #33

Tulsa #90

Cincy #70

Iowa State #63

The only team OU has played with a pulse on defense is SMU and they held OU to 28 points and only 365 yards of offense. 

Don't forget that game was close. OU only led 14-3 at half and 14-11 in the third and most of the fourth quarter before they finally pulled away. And the sad thing is that this is an SMU team that's on a down year rebuilding. They'll make a bowl game, but they're nowhere near as good as last year. 

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This OU team can’t run the ball for shit and they have serious OL problems. Anyone saying they have a great offense hasn’t watched them and hasn’t reviewed their data and opponents. 

Marcus Major seems like the only one that can somewhat move the ball. I expect him to get maybe one or two carries that go for 10 yards, but he's not breaking through the D line and getting any 40+ runs like Jonathon Brooks will against the Sooners. 

19 hours ago, gmr548 said:

OU is a big play passing game. Some of those are going to happen. The keys are:

1.) Control the LOS. Keep the run and screen game bottled up and have them spending a lot of time in third and 7+. Get pressure and disrupt timing in the dropback passing game.

2.) Make the stop and live to fight another series. A 40 yard completion resulting in a FG in the red zone is way different than a 65 yard TD.

3.) Get help from your offense. Control the ball, get a lead. Put the pressure on them to keep up and make them one dimensional later in the game

In addition, Texas needs to maximize punting and penalty advantage. 

Texas averages 2.6 punts/gm (47 yds avg) vs. OU 3.0 punts/gm (39.6 yds avg)

Texas averages 4.2 Pen.gm.(34.8 yds avg) vs. OU 7.0 pen/gm (62.2 yds avg).

And deep endzone touchbacks EVERY time. Don't get cute and tempt their return.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

FUCK BARRY SWITZER

FUCK BUD WILKINSON

FUCK BOB STOOPS

FUCK BRIAN BOSWORTH

FUCK QUENTIN GRIFFIN

FUCK BILLY SIMS

FUCK BOB STOOPS

FUCK LINCOLN RILEY

FUCK CALE GUNDY

FUCK JOSH HEUPEL

FUCK ROY WILLIAMS

FUCK DUSTY DVORCEK

FUCK TEDDY LEHMAN

FUCK KYLER MURRAY

FUCK JASON WHITE

FUCK SPENCER RATTLER

FUCK ROCKY CALMUS

FUCK BAKER MAYFIELD

FUCK JIM ROSS

FUCK SAM BRADFORD

FUCK DEMARCO MURRAY

FUCK LANDRY JONES

FUCK DERRICK STRAIT

FUCK TOBY KEITH

FUCK CALEB WILLIAMS

FUCK MARIVN MIMS

FUCK ADRIAN PETERSON

FUCK TRAY ALLEN

FUCK DEMOND PARKER

FUCK CURTIS FAGAN

FUCK DILLON GABRIEL

FUCK JEFF LEBBY

FUCK GARY GIBBS

FUCK HOWARD SCHNELLENBERGER

FUCK BRENT VENABLES

FUCK BLAKE BELL

FUCK RHETT BOMAR

FUCK THAT SOONER SCHOONER

FUCK THE ENTIRE STATE OF OKLAHOMA

FUCK ALL THE LAND THEIVES

FINALLY, FUCK CURLY MCLAIN AND THAT MUSICAL TOO.

You forgot Gaspar Gomez.

And the Diaz Brothers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Skipper said:

This.  All BS aside it's a great matchup.   Really want to see how PK gameplans these guys.  The easy analysis is "Texas is vulnerable to the deep ball" and while we could have played several of those a lot better, we have also been intentionally putting our secondary in 1 on 1 matchups because we haven't played a QB that can actually beat us throwing the ball over 4 quarters.   We aren't going to be stacking the LOS this week like we did against KU's triple option.  Probably a lot of drop coverage with occasional blitzes from different directions.  The knock on DG is he panics/folds when playing a good defense.   Need to frustrate him this week and see if that trend continues.

Sounds about right to me. It takes some time to get the deeper routes complete. I suspect PK putting about 6 on the line with 3-4 big'uns slanting to consume blockers, and a fast edge rusher (Hill, etc.) coming from somewhere. Let the OU line guess where it comes form and which big'uns are slanting.

If I were the OU OC, I'd keep a back in on almost all plays to pick up the blitz, run the RPO, or roll out protection for Dillon G. to have time to throw the deep ball.

I assume we’re going to see some interesting tweaks to the pass rush this week. It’s great to be able to just bring 3 or 4 and get pressure, but it feels like Texas has been overly judicious since the Bama game with blitzes. Maybe that’s just in my head, but it also makes sense since there hasn’t been a reason to be creative on getting pressure with the games going the way they’ve gone. 

Maybe I just want to see Ford and Hill get home some. Same for a safety or two. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Josef Pwag said:

Our offense would be so much more productive if we took every 'behind the line of scrimmage' pass out of our playbook.

Why do you think Sarkisian calls them? (Ignoring the PI vs. Alabama and the 35 yard pass from Worthy to Sanders against Baylor.)

25 minutes ago, NoName said:

it's criminal they are running DG this much with his glass bones. so dumb, but that's their coaching staff.

That’s fine. Ford or Hill will probably shatter him into a million pieces. They’ll have to stop the game to sweep DG off the field 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I assume we’re going to see some interesting tweaks to the pass rush this week. It’s great to be able to just bring 3 or 4 and get pressure, but it feels like Texas has been overly judicious since the Bama game with blitzes. Maybe that’s just in my head, but it also makes sense since there hasn’t been a reason to be creative on getting pressure with the games going the way they’ve gone. 

Maybe I just want to see Ford and Hill get home some. Same for a safety or two. 

Vs Baylor we didn’t need anything exotic. We just kicked the shit out of them at the LOS. We had to contain Bean in the pocket. Once the lead was built we let the dogs loose and he was scrambling for his life. I say let Gabriel run and Catalon will come along and decapitate him. 

32 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Why do you think Sarkisian calls them? (Ignoring the PI vs. Alabama and the 35 yard pass from Worthy to Sanders against Baylor.)

The DBs are playing off coverage to respect the speed of our guys, so it provides a big opportunity if blocked well. People have been reacting quickly to most of them. 

Teams aggressively playing those screens provides pump fake shenanigans.

• Hook 'Em 2

I'll admit it. My first exposure to the OU game was around the same time as the Mack Brown ass whippings. The entire "survive the initial wave" mentality that always seemed to have us down 14-0 in the blink of an eye. That shit left a scar.

OU has always made me nervous, even when we were good. 

Last year changed that. We gonna win? Hell, it's college football. Maybe it's OU's day. But for the first time since Vince Young wore the uniform, I'm not nervous. I'm not "hoping" for a win. I feel like this team can handle anyone in the nation. And that's a good fucking feeling.

10 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Last year changed that. We gonna win? Hell, it's college football. Maybe it's OU's day. But for the first time since Vince Young wore the uniform, I'm not nervous. I'm not "hoping" for a win. I feel like this team can handle anyone in the nation. And that's a good fucking feeling.

I've had some level of nervousness for every OU game except for 2005.  After getting past Ohio State and watching that team dominate its opponents, I just knew we'd beat OU.

I feel real good about this game and think we'll win.  But it's the OU game, so I'm still a tad nervous.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

A. Forces the defense to defend sideline to sideline, theoretically opening wider gaps in the middle of the field.

B. Theoretically tires out the defense making them pursue east-west and run to the football

6 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Fuck--Optimistic Brisket is Worst Brisket.

I need Brisket on that Wall Ledge.

I didn't say I was optimistic.  I said I was going.  I said what my record is.  But know that for almost all of those games, I didn't like our chances, but went anyway.

3 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

A. Forces the defense to defend sideline to sideline, theoretically opening wider gaps in the middle of the field.

B. Theoretically tires out the defense making them pursue east-west and run to the football

It is also something we did quite successfully against Bama. Teams have adjusted to it and are attacking it more aggressively. That's going to open up opportunities when we want them. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Okay, so I have a ticket, and I'm going this year (reminder: I am undefeated at Texas OU games I have attended).  I'll be doing the "get up early and leave around 5:00 a.m. from Austin, enjoy the game, hang at the fair for an hour or so after, then drive back to Austin" routine.  Right now, I'm solo.  Road trips are always more fun with company (plus, I know I'll be tired on the way back, so having someone riding along to help me stay awake is helpful).

Anyone looking to head up and back on Saturday?  Either I have seats and can drive, or if you're driving and don't mind a passenger, I'll chip in on gas and your first sausage, kraut and cheese klobasnek is on me.....lemme know.

uh.. no mention of grass or ass? What the hell?

image.png.4b0a2f81a618d2414f420f136f4d8f7e.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Atticus said:

The DBs are playing off coverage to respect the speed of our guys, so it provides a big opportunity if blocked well. People have been reacting quickly to most of them. 

Teams aggressively playing those screens provides pump fake shenanigans.

Agreed. I don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion that the offense is more productive without them even if they, themselves, don’t always succeed. The effect they have on defensive calls and plays may show up in bigger plays elsewhere. 

24 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Yeah. My point was that they have effects even apart from the outcomes of those particular plays and don’t necessarily make the offense less productive, even if people like to complain about the ones that don’t do well on their own. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I was looking at the oklahoma depth chart and noticed that their starting RT is a kid from TCU, he was an H-back/Tackle at tcu before transferring. He's a massive kid but having to lose reps to learn the H back for years of his career has to be an exploitable area of their offense. Ant Hill is going to fuck that dude up, and put his stamp on this rivalry game as a freshman. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

uh.. no mention of grass or ass? What the hell?

image.png.4b0a2f81a618d2414f420f136f4d8f7e.png

Well, I'll be eating at least one of said klobasneks on the road, so there's a distinct chance that my traveling companions will have to smelly the emanations from my ass.  That covers the "gas" and "ass" portions.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Yeah. My point was that they have effects even apart from the outcomes of those particular plays and don’t necessarily make the offense less productive, even if people like to complain about the ones that don’t do well on their own. 

The last time we opened an OU game with one it went for a 75 yard TD.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1