Week 6, 2023: Red River shootout.

Wulaw Horn

3 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

Final score is all that matters yada yada…

Need better playcalling/execution in the offensive third; four first-half drives yesterday inside the Kansas 30 and only managed six points, inexcusable.

Not an Xs and Os guy, so hopefully someone who is can weigh in, but I was surprised at the comparative sack/TFL numbers yesterday. Expected better on both sides of the ball.

Jason Bean is fast as hell, and Kansas has a pretty good OL, especially pass pro at tackle. We rushed with discipline to avoid giving him easy chunk plays with his legs.

43 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

No weird screens or gadget plays for losses

No FG attempts outside of 40 yards

No blown coverages on deep passes as Gabriel can hit those open shots 

You beat me to it,  I was just going to post no backward pass to Worthy and no double reverse.  

There will be lots of JT's ankle talk and rumors this week but we probably won't know a damn thing until first offensive snap Saturday AM.  And even if he starts who knows how it will hold up considering how important he is as a blocker.  Hoping for the best but no doubt the coaching staff is game planning assuming he won't be the All American version of himself.  The good news is that looked like a 3-5 week injury at the time so glad that doesn't appear to be the case.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve watched exactly 1) game this year and that was last night. They were getting gashed all over the place.  We have the better athletes, though schematically they have a better O at least on type after playing dog shit 

our d line needs to take away the deep shots. I still think our secondary is suspect we give up the deep ball on the regular and all blowU throws is the deep ball. Ant hill needs to spy and beat the dog shit out of Gabriel.   They won’t run the ball at all so he’s throwing 50 passes this weekend. 

Brooks should run for 200

there’s no way in fuck they are covering Mitchell worthy and cook if they manage that we have this dude whitt   The only thing to worry is they blitz all the fucking time so if our dual threat ewers is on the quick hitters is money 

our defense > blowU

our athletes > blow U

our state > blowU

Our kicker < Theirs 

scheme maybe a draw with them a slight edge 

no way in fuck they make up 50 points from last year. But it’s BlowU. Shit always goes strange in this game see case McCoy and fucking Charlie strong 

fuck OU

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

You didn’t even go to OU, you meth smoking moron. “Surly” you didn’t take any classes anywhere after you finished up your GED. I’d say you’re an embarrassment to Oklahoma, but you’re not. You most likely live in north Texas and if you moved to Oklahoma, you would raise the average IQ of both states.

Oh, I shit in your mom’s mouth last night because she asked nicely. That nasty bitch. Run along now. thoonerfans.com is missing an idiot. 

You think this dude finished his GED? You’re being quite charitable this morning. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I actually think we come out sloppy and sluggish as hell. Lots of dumb penalties and unforced errors. Poor execution. Just a feeling. 

The thing is, OU has a MASSIVE deficiency at head coach. They have less talent. We go in to halftime with a 10-3 lead after an ugly fist half. Get it together more in the third, open up a 20-3 lead. Garbage time OU TD makes the final score 20-10. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, SuperSport said:

Final score is all that matters yada yada…

Need better playcalling/execution in the offensive third; four first-half drives yesterday inside the Kansas 30 and only managed six points, inexcusable.

Not an Xs and Os guy, so hopefully someone who is can weigh in, but I was surprised at the comparative sack/TFL numbers yesterday. Expected better on both sides of the ball.

THIS

11 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I hate these fuckers the way I hate the Taliban.  The way you hate your ex wife who talk all your shit. the way  Oklahoma fans hate tooth brushes, jobs, and non meth producing activities. 

fuck ou 

Oklahoma is why toothbrushes are actually called toothbrushes and not teethbrushes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

No weird screens or gadget plays for losses
No FG attempts outside of 40 yards
No blown coverages on deep passes as Gabriel can hit those open shots 

OU is a big play passing game. Some of those are going to happen. The keys are:

1.) Control the LOS. Keep the run and screen game bottled up and have them spending a lot of time in third and 7+. Get pressure and disrupt timing in the dropback passing game.

2.) Make the stop and live to fight another series. A 40 yard completion resulting in a FG in the red zone is way different than a 65 yard TD.

3.) Get help from your offense. Control the ball, get a lead. Put the pressure on them to keep up and make them one dimensional later in the game
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

What’s the stat on the record of QB’s starting their first RRS against those who have previously started one? Feel like that should be a metric in our favor. 

Sam (read defense) lost b2b vs 1st year starters. Last 2 years were first year starters on both sides. Gabriel is a 5th year cfb starter, though I don't think he's ever played a road game in a stadium bigger than 60k

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Dont discount blowU

they are beating people by an average of 36 ppg. 
i know they havent played anyone, but this will be the best team we face the rest of the way. If they stop our run game early, this could be an auburn game winning fg type of game

Greenspoint is a remarkable tool for improving my mental health. Whenever I read one of his posts I immediately feel more positive, knowing he yet again has taken a highly pessimistic view on something. 

I think a lot of people have been frustrated with the offense not dropping 60 on teams but we've been consistently scoring points for some time now. 

Over the last 8 games, we're averaging 36.6 points a game. The only game we didn't score over 30 was against Washington and that was a weird game with all the new players, Worthy broken hand, etc. 

37 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

ESPN Efficiency Rankings of Teams OU has played:

Arkansas State #104

SMU #28

Tulsa #80

Cincinnati #56

Iowa State #65

And the ESPN efficiency rankings value SMU way more than other metrics. I'm not sure if OU has even played a top 40 caliber team yet. 

Rice #68

Bama #13

Wyoming #61

Baylor #114

Kansas #44

Texas has played 1 by your own standards. Congrats on your murders row of a schedule you goobers keep banging your chest about. 

OU average opponent: 66.6
TX average opponent: 60

What a huge difference. 

Edited by Constant
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

OU cannot stop the run.  We can.  And they don't run the ball well. We also have much better lines, receivers and DBs.

Unless we fuck around with turnovers, we should kick their ass by 14 pretty easy.

This. Just feed Jonathon Brooks and CJ Baxter and the O line will do the rest. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Constant said:

Rice #68

Bama #13

Wyoming #61

Baylor #114

Kansas #44

Texas has played 1 by your own standards. Congrats on your murders row of a schedule you goobers keep banging your chest about. 

What a huge difference. 

Just come by and congratulate us next Sunday as well. 

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, Constant said:

Rice #68

Bama #13

Wyoming #61

Baylor #114

Kansas #44

What a huge difference. 

1) The issue is SMU is not the #28 ranked team. They've lost by double digits to the only 2 teams they've played with a pulse. The ESPN efficiency rankings overvalue SMU big time. For instance, F+ rankings have SMU ranked #53.

2) Alabama and Kansas are better than any team OU has played all year. Also, on a neutral field Wyoming would be a toss-up with any team OU has played. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Just come by and congratulate us next Sunday as well. 

I expect an OU loss Saturday. Y’all are definitely further along the rebuild than we are. I see a path to an OU victory, but it’s not very wide. Would take a near perfect game in all phases and we’ll see what happens. Thats the beauty of this thing. 

Case Mccoy lit our ass up, so we all know anything is possible. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

1) The issue is SMU is not the #28 ranked team. They've lost by double digits to the only 2 teams they've played with a pulse. The ESPN efficiency rankings overvalue SMU big time. For instance, F+ rankings have SMU ranked #53.

2) Alabama and Kansas are better than any team OU has played all year. Also, on a neutral field Wyoming would be a toss up with any team you played. 

Well if you have an issue with the metric then stop using it, perhaps. 

• Hook 'Em 3