Outcoached

Pancho

36 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

You forgot the part where the FATE faction overlooks any/all improvements year-over-year in recruiting, game planning, or results (such as Alabama) because the only acceptable result is to be 12-0 and win the national championship each year.  And lays 100% of everything at Sark's feet because he's he coach!  Ewers made a bad decision throw into the DB for an INT?  Shoulda coached him up better than that Sark!  "Call the touchdown play Sark!!!"  These are the same type of people who use the term "money whip" with regard to coaches and players as if we're fated to get positive results because Texas is rich.  Spoiler: we're not.

We have improved every year that Sark has been on campus and the trend line is still pointing up overall.  This isn't Herman who was immature and a shit recruiter or Strong who was shit overall and just looked lost.  Fate people need to stop being a prisoner of the past.  And BTW most people were roundly criticized on that thread comparing this year to 2005, there is no comparison.  As Alan Greenspan would say "irrational exuberance."

Yeah I'm hope.  But I temper hope with logic.  You can be hopeful and acknowledge our shortcomings and areas we need to improve.  Anyone ready to cut bait on Sark due to FATE as defined above needs to be ready to get another Herman or Strong, because that's a real possibility.

Here here!!

3bf66ee5214cbd361855f0c79c1d7d8611-leo-t

If Sark wanted to play for/settle for (whatever the right terminology is) a FG then you let the clock win down so OU can’t get the ball back with a chance to win or tie it. You don’t leave it to chance or the refs. You let the clock run down so that when you kick it, you make it you win and game over. Period. Had we missed in the scenario with time management then fine we go to OT and I’m not as critical of Sark at all. It’s a rivalry game. Screwy shit happens. But we had the ball in our court and gave it back to them. Jmo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Our defense during their final drive is indefensible.  I don’t understand PK’s obsession with the prevent defense. We were playing one of the best 2 minute drill offense’s in the nation and it was proven that their 5 could handle our 4 most of the game. Not putting Ant Hill out there and mixing up some blitzes was a game losing mistake. DG under pressure = bad. DG with time and a clean pocket = one of the best in the country.

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

In 15 minutes, you guys are gonna be fuckin fine with this.  So I'll just sum it up this way, as fast as I can. 

That is the most humiliating game in the last fuckin 10 years I've been involved with. how can we fuckin not score 1st and goal from the 1? How could you fuckin do that? What do you think you are doing?  This isn’t some goddamn game!!! It’s about our lives!!!!! Like I said 15 minutes from now you won’t give a shit, but I gotta fucking live with this embarrassing game for the rest of my fucking life!!

I wonder how many times Augie reminded his players to, "Have fun out there today!" ?

• Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Instead of hitting it up in the hole and putting a hat on the LB we double-teamed the DT and left the LB completely unblocked.

Bad execution.

Screenshot(399).thumb.png.39bb461ef7b98359a7576cac6dca9739.png

The thing that stands out to me from this screenshot is how OU has moved the los to our backfield. Getting beat at the point of attack.

I would have liked to see a play action pass to anybody as aggressively as OU was attacking the los on the goal line. 

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

Normally I'd agree, but we haven't been able to do it consistently all year...or since Sark has been here, really...then it becomes a coaching mistake to call it 3 straight times.

I'm just not going to agree with this.  If we can't run it in from the 1 yard line we don't deserve to win the game.

6 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

The thing that stands out to me from this screenshot is how OU has moved the los to our backfield. Getting beat at the point of attack.

I would have liked to see a play action pass to anybody as aggressively as OU was attacking the los on the goal line. 

With Texas's line we should be lining up 4 wide, single back and letting Ewers RPO for at least two downs. Force defense to take 4 players out the box or your going to quick pass on them. Stacking the box allows D to stand line and crash from outside.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BevoAbyss said:

i said this a year ago. Sark is Mackovic #2.

-- Great recruiter, flashy risk-taking offense, big highs/wins and looks like the GUY. But also provides deep lows/inexplicable and horrifying losses.

-- Of course, Sark is a nicer, more likable coach than arrogant Mackovic. 

MACKOVIC:

-- HIGH: "Roll Left" v Nebraska for Big 12 title, stopping Huskers chance for repeat MNC. 

-- LOWS: "Rout 66" a mere three games after "Roll Left." (Rout 66 is the infamous 66-3 home loss to UCLA for those too young to have lived through it.)

-- Big wins over OU and blowing 21-point lead versus OU. Losing to freaking Rice on national TV at night after beating ranked OU a week earlier. Mind-numbing, inexplicable losses.

-- Had at least 4 losses in five of his six season as coach. Won more than 8 games only once at UT (10-2-1 in 1995).

-- Mackovic managed to win Big 12 title in 1995 and 1996, yet collapsed in 1997 with Rout 66 and was fired.

SARK:

-- HIGHS: 49-0 and win over Bama.

-- LOWS: massive chokes vs OU in 2021 and 2023, TCU beatdown from Sonny Dykes.

-- Yes, the 4 shots from the 1 is one of the biggest chokes in Longhorn history.

-- Never had less than 4 losses, never more than 9 wins in career.

MACKOVIC record in year 3 (1994) after OU game: 15-11-1 (55%).

SARK record in year 3 after OU game: 18-13 (58%).

------------------

We'll see what SARK does.... I hope he wins huge. But, I also see a clear likely fate.

So far he looks almost exactly like MACKOVIC ... the GUY ... who isn't the GUY.

TIL that a 63 point loss in year 6 of a coach’s tenure is the same devastating loss as a blown lead in year 1 and 7 point loss in year 2 to a team that played for the national championship. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BevoAbyss said:

-- Great recruiter, flashy risk-taking offense, big highs/wins and looks like the GUY. But also provides deep lows/inexplicable and horrifying losses.

MACKOVIC:

-- HIGH: "Roll Left" v Nebraska for Big 12 title, stopping Huskers chance for repeat MNC. 

-- LOWS: "Rout 66" a mere three games after "Roll Left." (Rout 66 is the infamous 66-3 home loss to UCLA for those too young to have lived through it.)

-- Big wins over OU and blowing 21-point lead versus OU. Losing to freaking Rice on national TV at night after beating ranked OU a week earlier. Mind-numbing, inexplicable losses.

-- Had at least 4 losses in five of his six season as coach. Won more than 8 games only once at UT (10-2-1 in 1995).

-- Mackovic managed to win Big 12 title in 1995 and 1996, yet collapsed in 1997 with Rout 66 and was fired.

SARK:

-- Yes, the 4 shots from the 1 is one of the biggest chokes in Longhorn history.

------------------

We'll see what SARK does.... I hope he wins huge. But, I also see a clear likely fate.

Dear lord, Mackovic didn't recruit anywhere NEAR as well as Sark has. He snagged a few studs here and there but our misses in recruiting from his tenure were legendary.

48 minutes ago, Skipper said:

This is beyond fucking stupid.   Which is about par for the course for the football board.  Post less.

This ...

32 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

TIL that a 63 point loss in year 6 of a coach’s tenure is the same devastating loss as a blown lead in year 1 and 7 point loss in year 2 to a team that played for the national championship. 

... and that.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, longhornmatt said:

We threw an inside breaking slant behind the LOS on 4th and goal.  No playaction.  Not even a bubble screen with blockers.  Just thought it would be a good time for an experiment.  “What if slants were thrown backwards?  Whoa, far out man.  Let’s try it!”

Does anyone else ever call that play?  I didn’t know that was even a thing.  It’s hard not to pass some play to Sark for the goal line series when THAT was what he went with when we finally decided to throw. 

It’s a TD 6-7 out of 10 times. Shoulda been the second or third down play. 

25 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Not really a great thread to put this in, but I believe this is the fifth consecutive season that we’ve lost the game going into the bye week.

Because just what we all need is that extra week of bitching and wondering “what if”.

Best thing to do as a fan is take a break. Next weekend no way I’m watching football 10am to 2am like I did yesterday. Not to sound like sark but the weather is too amazing to stare at the TV next weekend.

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

We threw an inside breaking slant behind the LOS on 4th and goal.  No playaction.  Not even a bubble screen with blockers.  Just thought it would be a good time for an experiment.  “What if slants were thrown backwards?  Whoa, far out man.  Let’s try it!”

Does anyone else ever call that play?  I didn’t know that was even a thing.  It’s hard not to shift some blame to Sark for the goal line series when THAT was what he went with when we finally decided to throw. 

It was a stack formation with Whittington on the LOS. He was blocking 

I don’t know sark’s ceiling but I know two things. This team would beat every single one of mackovic’s teams even with Ricky. 

second, this team is 5-1 with a top 10 win and a one play last second loss to another top 10 team. 3rd year. It’s actually looking pretty good.

Same as Johnny Mack. What a terrible take. 

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

It is?  Why don’t more teams run that 70% effective play as their go to short yardage call?

QE to X on a quick slant? You really think that’s a bad 2nd or 3rd down call? 

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

OU was in attack mode.  Go back and watch the 3rd down play.  10 of 11 players attacked.  Any sort of PA in the last few plays was going to lead to easy pitch and catch.

It was a terrible 4th down call. Gotta roll him out PA pass etc. I agree. Even still need a quick hit option in case the D gets penetration.

5 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Quick slant beyond the LOS into the end zone is a fine call.  Quick slant that is really more of a tunnel screen running parallel to the LOS is asinine. 

I’d have to rewatch it looked different in real time than you describe. I still contend a terrible call on 4th and fine for an earlier down.

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

This is beyond fucking stupid.   Which is about par for the course for the football board.  Post less.

Another solid, fact-filled ad hominem.

You're right. Post less is a sound option, as there's zero point in analyzing anything for the true believers in Sark World. 

But, keep on hoping, keep on guzzling that Fireball Kool-Aid. A world of football wonders awaits.

Adios.

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, markstanco said:

So probably 2 or 3 more loses according to you?

I know there are fans who think you should be undefeated for a decade and when a loss happens every coach and player sucks. But this is beyond dumb @Pancho

Actually it’s dumb of you to think the Cotton Bowl means 2-3 losses when it’s a NY6 bowl. That’s what I meant.

And I’ll own up to my negs and stupidity for the original thread. I deserved it and was upset at losing to ou yet again. After reading some things this morning, seeing Palm still has us in the CFP because he thinks we will win the rematch in the B12, and talking to a USC fan at brunch in Aria, I’m now thinking that loss (while it hurts) is going to fire us up the rest of the way. I’m stoked and still Team Sark. 

Texas Longhorns GIF by ESPN

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

It was a stack formation with Whittington on the LOS. He was blocking 

19 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

But it was inside breaking into the defense, not outward away from the other defenders.  We didn’t have a numbers advantage to begin with, and the pick was made irrelevant since Worthy was just coming down the LOS into more defenders.

The question is time. 1 yrd line =all defenders with 10  yrds of the LOS. OU was shooting gaps. If you hold it at all Quinn is dead. That's why most people don't throw it from the 1.

• Hook 'Em 1

Jesus, yes. Teams lose all the time. Better teams lose all the time. It’s not the end of the world. Sun still came up today, it’s a beautiful day!

Thank god for that. A lot easier to do something else and forget about it when it’s 75 degrees and dry as opposed to 90s and humid (this was applicable postgame at the fair too).

1 minute ago, BevoAbyss said:

You're right. Post less is a sound option, as there's zero point in analyzing anything for the true believers in Sark World. 

But, keep on hoping, keep on guzzling that Fireball Kool-Aid. A world of football wonders awaits.

Adios.

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

Bold move, accusing others of ad hominem right before you make a straw man.  Let's see how that works out.

You can be a "Sark supporter" and still acknowledge failings and areas to improve.  We lost a rivalry game with :15 seconds left.  A game where we played to our floor with three turnovers, and where if you flip any one of our mental errors (players or coaches) the result also flips.  This isn't Texas getting boat raced by 50, it was a back and forth game against a legit opponent who isn't gonna just roll over.

The onus is on you: if you're going to post that Sark isn't the guy, what's the alternative?  Also explain how we will get that person, how that will put us in a better place going into the SEC, and how we'll retain our excellent recruits who signed up to play for this staff.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BevoAbyss said:

Adios.

Mackovich coached 6 years here.  You cherry picked random games over a 6 year period and in a bizarre attempt to compare it to Sark's 2.5 year build.  Which still has us ranked top 10 in the country at the moment.  The analysis within this idiotic attempt to compare 2 coaches included gems such as yesterday being a "choke job".  Losing a rivalry game as a 5.5 point favorite isn't a "choke job".  It's college football.  Something you should post less about.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

The question is time. 1 yrd line =all defenders with 10  yrds of the LOS. OU was shooting gaps. If you hold it at all Quinn is dead. That's why most people don't throw it from the 1.

That's just not true.  The reason run is called most of the time is because most teams can fire off the ball and score, but time and time again, Texas has not shown that ability.  I have no problem calling the run on 1st down, but either 2nd or 3rd down should have been a jumbo package, leak out the TE or H-back out of the backfield and pass it.

If it doesn't work try the run again, but 3 straight when you haven't shown the ability to do it consistently over the last 3 years is stupid.

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Actually it’s dumb of you to think the Cotton Bowl means 2-3 losses when it’s a NY6 bowl. That’s what I meant.

And I’ll own up to my negs and stupidity for the original thread. I deserved it and was upset at losing to ou yet again. After reading some things this morning, seeing Palm still has us in the CFP because he thinks we will win the rematch in the B12, and talking to a USC fan at brunch in Aria, I’m now thinking that loss (while it hurts) is going to fire us up the rest of the way. I’m stoked and still Team Sark. 

Texas Longhorns GIF by ESPN

Aria? I see what's going on here. You bet big on Texas and lost. Stay out of Vegas bro.

Bottom line, the Texas fanbase has battered wives syndrome when it comes to OU. We are unable to separate one coach from the other. What Mack did is what Sark will do in our minds. Meanwhile, Sark laid the biggest ass whoppin OU has ever taken on them just a year ago, barely lost to a Caleb Williams team with Casey Thompson at the helm, and lost in the last second here despite not playing his best ball. I wanna beat them every year too but every other is a huge improvement over those other coaches.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

You can be a "Sark supporter" and still acknowledge failings and areas to improve.  

This.  Sark isn't perfect. I can certainly second guess some decisions yesterday.  I'm sure he is as well.   I do think people that are being overly critical probably need to appreciate that the game could have very easily gotten away from us with the early turnovers.  And Sark's agressive decision making absolutely helped weather that storm. So it goes both ways.  All I know is the current roster is in its best state since probably 2008.  And guess what - there are still some deficiencies (IOL; Edge, LB, Safety and overall depth) that played a big part in yesterday.  It happens.  It's football.  I'll trade questionable decision making here and there (which, guess what, that happens with every single coach in the country) for a coach and staff that flat out gets roster construction and development which is the most important components to winning consistently.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Tex Long said:

First and goal inside the five. Call it the Red Line. May not be room to pass, prolly want to run it in. Why not bring in the Red Package? He's been money so far both running and passing. How much worse can the result be?

Sark wanted to make a statement about Texas physicality. He was stubborn about it. It’s probably his number 1 fault. 

I an not a Sark apologist but I fully support him. Like I said in the game thread, there are things he does that make me go WTF and then 2 plays later he shows brilliance. His clock management yesterday was horrible at the end and we can all be pissed about it but he is also learning and growing, like the team. I know he was at Bama and a HC before but I don't think he has been in the pressure cooker of being such a big time and blue blood school where the responsibility and decisions stop with him. 

Maybe a little bit of grace for the guy, he is figuring it out and getting better at the same time. I get that some of you think, don't come to the HC job and think you get some slack. We all want the wins and championships now but remember what he started with. And don't you want to see steady improvement from not only the team but the coaching staff? The first quarter yesterday was some weird shit that always happens with blOwU but there wasn't any quit shown. 

Lastly, for me, who would you have come in replace Sark? He has shown he has us going in the right direction and I don't think there is anyone out there that could do better, now, or in the immediate future. 

Edited by coachherman'sgrill
Spelling
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, troph said:

Sark wanted to make a statement about Texas physicality. He was stubborn about it. It’s probably his number 1 fault. 

Absolutely. This tendency is exactly why we need to have separate HC and OC. I don't really care whether Sark relinquishes the one or the other. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, coachherman'sgrill said:

Lastly, for me, who would you have come in replace Sark? He has shown he has us going in the right direction and I don't think there is anyone out there that could do better, now or in the immediate future. 

Anyone actually saying that at this point given the current state of Texas football, with what is in the pipeline, and compare that to where this roster has been the past 10+ years, is a fucking moron.  Full stop. I actually wish someone could just put together a list of these idiots and I'll put them on ignore and it might actually make this board readable.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, troph said:

Have we not scored out of that package this season? Am I misremembering another similar failure?  Maybe I'm wrong but of the things I second guess I just don't have an issue with those runs.  I probably would have put a 95% success rate of scoring on 1/3 plays out of that package.

Lots of reasons why we lost but I think we lost primarily on the LOS yesterday. No one saw that coming. We got plain “out-physicaled”. Our O line hasn’t been dominant all year esp in the red zone. Obviously Majors getting injured hurts but our most talented players there are still young. Someone said that Banks looks a little hobbled too. Our D line got neutralized and our EDGES/DE were non existent. Need that bye week to physically and mentally recover. Need to play angry from here on out and “Embrace the hate”, lol.

13 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Aria? I see what's going on here. You bet big on Texas and lost. Stay out of Vegas bro.

Bottom line, the Texas fanbase has battered wives syndrome when it comes to OU. We are unable to separate one coach from the other. What Mack did is what Sark will do in our minds. Meanwhile, Sark laid the biggest ass whoppin OU has ever taken on them just a year ago, barely lost to a Caleb Williams team with Casey Thompson at the helm, and lost in the last second here despite not playing his best ball. I wanna beat them every year too but every other is a huge improvement over those other coaches.

Right. I think a lot of what we're feeling today is what we felt in all those Mack years. How did OU get good this quickly? Does this mean we're never winning again under Sark? Why does it seem like they want it more and play more angry? This is all stuff that's a hangover mentality from the Mack era. Sark comes into this game wanting to win it. He understands the importance. He gives it the necessary respect it deserves. That's evident every year he's been here with his play calling and risk taking. This isn't Mack afraid to throw into the wind at halftime. 

As I said before, sometimes the better team loses in this rivalry game. 2013, 2015 (which will still never make any sense to me), yesterday. OU got all the bounces they needed, played pretty close to perfectly for what they needed to do, and took advantage of the turnovers we gave them. We did enough to win that game in the 2nd half yesterday until the final defensive collapse. There are so many what ifs and if we had just done this differently that it will make your head spin. And Sark and PK know that. They will definitely learn from this. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

MACKOVIC:
SARK:

------------------

Look I’m not full doom and gloom about this game but can we stop including 49-0 as some sort of big achievement? OU literally had no QB. It was a great day, a lot of fun, and cathartic, at least until yesterday; but Jeff Banks’s monkey could have coached the team to a win.

Sark is 0-2 in actual football games against OU and has produced two losses that will be shown in OU highlight videos 30 years from now. It’s fair to question whether he is equipped to handle this game. It’s not going to be litigated again for a year so I don’t want to beat it to death but the early data points aren’t great.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Right. I think a lot of what we're feeling today is what we felt in all those Mack years. How did OU get good this quickly? Does this mean we're never winning again under Sark? Why does it seem like they want it more and play more angry? This is all stuff that's a hangover mentality from the Mack era. Sark comes into this game wanting to win it. He understands the importance. He gives it the necessary respect it deserves. That's evident every year he's been here with his play calling and risk taking. This isn't Mack afraid to throw into the wind at halftime. 

As I said before, sometimes the better team loses in this rivalry game. 2013, 2015 (which will still never make any sense to me), yesterday. OU got all the bounces they needed, played pretty close to perfectly for what they needed to do, and took advantage of the turnovers we gave them. We did enough to win that game in the 2nd half yesterday until the final defensive collapse. There are so many what ifs and if we had just done this differently that it will make your head spin. And Sark and PK know that. They will definitely learn from this. 

I think we were the better team.  But I do think people saying OU played their A game aren't looking at it from their point of view.  Gave up the fake punt.  Blocked punt for a TD off a turnover.  One of the worst FG attempts I've seen.  4 straight possessions in the 2nd half without points and shitty execution (including, unless I'm misremembering, going 3 and out after getting the fumble).  I would definitely favor us in a rematch but I don't think we can count on all those things going our way either. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Look I’m not full doom and gloom about this game but can we stop including 49-0 as some sort of big achievement? OU literally had no QB. It was a great day, a lot of fun, and cathartic, at least until yesterday; but Jeff Banks’s monkey could have coached the team to a win.

Sark is 0-2 in actual football games against OU and has produced two losses that will be shown in OU highlight videos 30 years from now. It’s fair to question whether he is equipped to handle this game.

Sorry, but last yr Texas and Sark beat blOU 

49 - 0  🤘

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Redneck Mutha said:

"Just have fun out there"

- Nick Saban

It was the kiss of death. Should have known before the game had even kicked off we were fucked. Just have fun out there. Wtf sark. 

Can we not get a Texas version of Nick saban or Barry switzer?

”I told the guys this is Texas/ou, when you walk on this field of glory you come to win and after we win we shove corn dogs up their ass as they leave the fairgrounds”

you know something PC like that.

14 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Sark is 0-2 in actual football games against OU and has produced two losses that will be shown in OU highlight videos 30 years from now. It’s fair to question whether he is equipped to handle this game. It’s not going to be litigated again for a year so I don’t want to beat it to death but the early data points aren’t great.

They have scholarship players just like we do. If their backup comes in he is a kid who is there because he was good at what he does at the previous level. They weren't trotting out their RB to play QB. They trotted out a 4 star QB. We did what we were supposed to.

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

They have scholarship players just like we do. If their backup comes in he is a kid who is there because he was good at what he does at the previous level. They weren't trotting out their RB to play QB. They trotted out a 4 star QB. We did what we were supposed to.

Yeah, I mean I'm old enough to remember a 1-4 Charlie Strong coached Texas team that had just been beat 50-7 by TCU the week prior beating an OU team ranked #10.  They all count in this rivarly.

• Hook 'Em 2