WTF is wrong with you South Dakota baseball

Nice Guy Eddie

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/07/us/mitchell-legion-baseball-rape-plea/index.html

6 high school baseball players allegedly raped 2 other players, in what the 6 call a hazing ritual. They've pled not guilty.

In addition to them: "Three additional juveniles also are facing charges in juvenile court. In addition, charges against other adults affiliated with the team who allegedly had knowledge of these incidents and did not report them are under consideration, the state attorney’s office said."

A TV story on it mentioned that the DA believes this could have been a multi-year issue within the baseball team.

• Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

It's manly viking sex, not sissy gay sex! 

this was literally the excuse vatniks were using to justify Russian troops raping new recruits/mobiks when videos came out about it...

"It's not gay because it's an old hazing tradition!" umm... hate to tell ya dude, but...

50 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

That’s why I don’t let my kid play catcher. 

48 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

...so he plays wide receiver?

looks like we gotta couple Defensive Ends here

Edited by Rimbo

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

this was literally the excuse vatniks were using to justify Russian troops raping new recruits/mobiks when videos came out about it...

"It's not gay because it's an old hazing tradition!" umm... hate to tell ya dude, but...

looks like we gotta couple Defensive Backs here

And then the aggy said "Yea, good sheep'll do that" 

• Haha 3

I will never understand this bullshit.  Yes, i have been part of many sports teams, the military, and several distinct work groups.  There are usually some minor initiations like carrying the pads for Seniors when you are a Freshman or in a work setting, new guy/gal draws shitty mini-assignments or tasks because 1) they need to learn them and 2) nobody else really wants to do them.  In the Marine Corps probably the dumbest thing we did( insert comment here) was nailing a newly minted ranking peer in the arm to 'pin on their stripes.'  Even that was usually  limited to your immediate unit/ platoon and was generally very brotherly in approach.  Only a douchebag or someone who ran would be sore the next day.  I get it that it is not acceptable now, but damn, nothing we ever did was sexual fucking assault.

Crazy to me that allowing yourself to be violated/ humiliated to that degree would make you part of the team.   Fuck that team.

Edited by slorch

1 minute ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

a genius who's parents redshirted him in kindergarten so he'd be good at sports

I often wonder if that trend will pan out to show those kids fail at life after that glorious couple of years of varsity sports in high school.  I couldn't wait to get the fuck away from high school and I was young for my class. I can't imagine being 19 and still putting up with all the nonsense of high school.

• Hook 'Em 4

I wasn't didn't witness it directly but there was a story from when I was in a frat where one active made a suggestion that a few actives should pretend that they were going to sexually assault a couple of the pledges. Scare 'em or something. Everyone else quickly rejected that idea as ridiculous and that guy was never allowed to be alone with a pledge(s) ever again.

I don't understand why someone would even go there as a joke much less act on it like these guys.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, RPM said:

Pretty much the same thing happened a couple years ago near Austin. 

Was this the Lake Travis broom handle incident?  I'll never understand what goes through the minds of some of these boys, but these stories are more common than they should be.  I assume it's latent homosexuality finding an outlet, but that's obviously no excuse.  Religions that shame and overbearing parents may ultimately be to blame for this crap.

1 minute ago, Samson's Wig said:

Was this the Lake Travis broom handle incident?  I'll never understand what goes through the minds of some of these boys, but these stories are more common than they should be.  I assume it's latent homosexuality finding an outlet, but that's obviously no excuse.  Religions that shame and overbearing parents may ultimately be to blame for this crap.

I would think it's more of a power trip and wanting to dominate someone. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Samson's Wig said:

I often wonder if that trend will pan out to show those kids fail at life after that glorious couple of years of varsity sports in high school.  I couldn't wait to get the fuck away from high school and I was young for my class. I can't imagine being 19 and still putting up with all the nonsense of high school.

Sometimes the advantage is pretty short lived, too. Kid in our neighborhood hit puberty in 5th grade. He was the star of every team until all the other kids caught and passed him by about 9th grade. Ended up quitting all sports this year according to my son. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I would think it's more of a power trip and wanting to dominate someone. 

Sounds like the classic excuse of latent homosexuals everywhere.  Plenty of ways guys on power trips dominate others without resorting to sex.  If your dick is hard, and you're sticking it in a dude, you're gay.  NTTAWWT

According to the SI article I read 15-20 years ago on this, the held back year was 8th grade so they could enter high school a year older. Usually involved moving schools so that kids didn't get ridiculed for repeating a grade they passed. Was all about making the kid as old and as strong as possible in hopes of being drafted. The baseball draft open to high schoolers and being 40 rounds until a few years ago is what was driving it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Covri said:

According to the SI article I read 15-20 years ago on this, the held back year was 8th grade so they could enter high school a year older. Usually involved moving schools so that kids didn't get ridiculed for repeating a grade they passed. Was all about making the kid as old and as strong as possible in hopes of being drafted. The baseball draft open to high schoolers and being 40 rounds until a few years ago is what was driving it. 

Which is why we have a bunch of data showing that the younger HS draftees pan out at a higher rate than the ones that were old for their class. Also ties into why the Oline is the least predictable recruiting ranking vs. performance position group too.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

Which is why we have a bunch of data showing that the younger HS draftees pan out at a higher rate than the ones that were old for their class. Also ties into why the Oline is the least predictable recruiting ranking vs. performance position group too.

I have no doubt you're correct I was just regurgitating something I read in an article a long time ago that stuck out because there seems to be certain demographic of parents in the south, with a little Carter with a K, that they want playing pro ball and are willing to fuck up theirs kids childhood to make it happen.  

Edited by Covri

9 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Hudson Haley, 18; Landon Waddell, 19; Peyton Mandel, 17; Lincoln Bates, 18; Carter Miller, 18; and Karter Sibson, 17.

Doesn't get more white kids than Landon, Peyton, Hudson, Lincoln, and K/Carter. 

Could have stopped at South Dakota baseball

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Covri said:

Wasn't this the case with Brett Baty? He was 19 his senior year at Lake Travis.

6 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

Rape is rarely about sex/sexuality. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Rape is rarely about sex/sexuality. 

Of all the ways to assert dominance over another person, there is still something super-twisted about doing it sexually.

"I really need to show this person who's boss  . . . . I know, I'm going to use my dick!  Or violate their cavities with an object!"

Edited by TwiceHorn

14 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/07/us/mitchell-legion-baseball-rape-plea/index.html

6 high school baseball players allegedly raped 2 other players, in what the 6 call a hazing ritual. They've pled not guilty.

In addition to them: "Three additional juveniles also are facing charges in juvenile court. In addition, charges against other adults affiliated with the team who allegedly had knowledge of these incidents and did not report them are under consideration, the state attorney’s office said."

A TV story on it mentioned that the DA believes this could have been a multi-year issue within the baseball team.

ha gay GIF

11 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

A big reason why Latin Americans are represented so heavily in MLB is the elite players get into professional baseball at age 16 and playing against adults, getting professional coaching and accelerating their development as prospects. Whereas players in the US are typically 18 or in many cases 19 before entering a higher level of ball. Perfect Game exists to mend this gap but as a result pretty much limits the talent pool to rich people

Anyways this probably isnt the thread for this discussion 

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

"I really need to show this person who's boss  . . . . I know, I'm going to use my dick!  Or violate their cavities with an object!"

Isn't that from Art Briles first speech to his teams every spring camp?

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Of all the ways to assert dominance over another person, there is still something super-twisted about doing it sexually.

I think people mistake the oft-referenced "rape isn't about sex but power" line to mean that it has nothing to do with sex, which is a very reductive understanding.  Of course power is a big part of it, but if you're erect you're aroused.  It doesn't matter if it's the power dynamic that revs the engine, what you do with that erection is what matters.   There's an element of dominance in many consensual sexual encounters as well. 

While I'm sure there are exceptions, these stories of frat guys and high school athletes hazing by sexually assaulting other boys are generally nothing more than latent homosexuality finding its only outlet in a culture that still vilifies homosexuality.  Leaving aside the experiences of transexuals as I am too ignorant on that front to comment, if you have a dick and fuck a dude, you're gay or bi.  Full stop.  I think it's largely homophobia and/or denial that drives the other narrative.  No straight man in the history of the universe said to himself, "I'm not the least bit sexually aroused by that guy over there, but I'm going to fuck him anyway just to show him who's boss." 

Like so many other things, these types of assaults are merely the byproduct of a subset of our culture that still shames homosexuals and keeps some young men so deeply closeted they can't even admit who they are to themselves.  Sports organizations and fraternities are probably the prime examples of groups creating this dynamic, which is why these stories tend to come from these organizations. Then of course there are certain churches that really drive this bus.  It makes sense that this type of existence will eventually lead to socially unacceptable or violent behavior.