2023 ALCS: Rangers vs Astros

Helobious

11 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Rangers are playing some damn good baseball. I’ll talk fun stupid shit in the hate thread but for here it’s just good clean baseball talk. Rangers are red hot at the perfect time. 

Quality pitching and D has been a really nice surprise this postseason. But at this point, Houston has seen the reliable pitching Rangers can throw at them (including same BP arms 2X).  Rangers bats are going to have to have a couple of big games to take the series IMO.  I'm not sure 5 runs wins another game for the Rangers.  

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Quality pitching and D has been a really nice surprise this postseason. But at this point, Houston has seen the reliable pitching Rangers can throw at them (including same BP arms 2X).  Rangers bats are going to have to have a couple of big games to take the series IMO.  I'm not sure 5 runs wins another game for the Rangers.  

Who knows, one thing I’ve come accustom to over the last 7 years is I can’t predict shit when it comes to baseball games much less the full series. Right now everything points to the rangers getting the bloop hits and big homer runs and big pitching and Astros are hitting everything right to guys and not able to breakthrough when it’s necessary. I mean it’s not like we’ve never lost before and when we have it’s like this. Maybe we come back? But probably not. Rangers having guys step up especially on the mound is what you need to win a title. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Unfortunately, this is a good point.

But I think the bats wake up.

13 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Rangers are playing some damn good baseball. I’ll talk fun stupid shit in the hate thread but for here it’s just good clean baseball talk. Rangers are red hot at the perfect time. 

Even the back to back WS teams never played at this level. Not just starting 7-0 but only trailing for one single inning. And all of this after they blew the division to Houston in the last weekend like they did in 2012 to Oakland. Except they never looked back this year unlike 2012. Where that derailed them and the whole season went down the drain.

I still fear Houston because we have seen this over and over. You let up just a little and think you got them on the ropes and they come back on you. Down 1-0 and 2-1 to Philly last year. And roared back and Philly had no answer. I know they didn't win it but down 0-3 to Tampa in 2020 and took it to game 7. 

Love seeing Max come back, too for game 3 but makes me nervous at the same time. How long can he go? How effective will he be? If he gets in trouble early, can he battle back? I also fear he can re-aggravate that injury at any time. 

Yesterday was what I have missed for years. Playoff baseball that has you on the edge of your seat, pacing around and yelling at big moments. That was as on edge and nervous as I've been in forever and loved every second of it. Nothing like playoff baseball in those moments. Not the biggest hockey fan but playoff hockey is the same. Ramps way up in playoffs and fun as hell even as a casual fan. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Even the back to back WS teams never played at this level. Not just starting 7-0 but only trailing for one single inning. And all of this after they blew the division to Houston in the last weekend like they did in 2012 to Oakland. Except they never looked back this year unlike 2012. Where that derailed them and the whole season went down the drain.

I still fear Houston because we have seen this over and over. You let up just a little and think you got them on the ropes and they come back on you. Down 1-0 and 2-1 to Philly last year. And roared back and Philly had no answer. I know they didn't win it but down 0-3 to Tampa in 2020 and took it to game 7. 

Love seeing Max come back, too for game 3 but makes me nervous at the same time. How long can he go? How effective will he be? If he gets in trouble early, can he battle back? I also fear he can re-aggravate that injury at any time. 

Yesterday was what I have missed for years. Playoff baseball that has you on the edge of your seat, pacing around and yelling at big moments. That was as on edge and nervous as I've been in forever and loved every second of it. Nothing like playoff baseball in those moments. Not the biggest hockey fan but playoff hockey is the same. Ramps way up in playoffs and fun as hell even as a casual fan. 

Yea they’re playing great. Better than anyone predicted for sure. You think at some point they’ll lose but they keep winning. Baseball is weird. I will say I haven’t been as amped up as previous years, winning the second WS satisfied me a lot since I have battered fan syndrome. Everything happening is what you need to win it. Guys stepping up that don’t usually do it and the bats all hitting at the same time. If Houston came back to win the series I’d be surprised I don’t see the edge like previous years but who knows. 

41 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yea they’re playing great. Better than anyone predicted for sure. You think at some point they’ll lose but they keep winning. Baseball is weird. I will say I haven’t been as amped up as previous years, winning the second WS satisfied me a lot since I have battered fan syndrome. Everything happening is what you need to win it. Guys stepping up that don’t usually do it and the bats all hitting at the same time. If Houston came back to win the series I’d be surprised I don’t see the edge like previous years but who knows. 

Yeah I can see how making the ALCS 7 times in a row with a WS seemingly every year aside from a few, that allure or intensity isn't what it was compared to the early years of the run. 

As a Rangers fan, I will be happy to just see them win it all once. I know we aren't going to build some huge dynasty and be here constantly so need to take advantage when we do make it. I really just want them to finally bury the game 6 2011 debacle for good. And I will forever be content the rest of the years. The Mavs did it for me in 2011 when they put to bed their 2006 Finals meltdown. I fully expected that might be the last time I ever see them there. Rangers are also the only team of mine I haven't witnessed win it all. Unless you count FC Dallas, which I really only attend to drink with @Zepol87

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Series is far from over (tbh Astros should be favored in all remaining games), but Astros fans don’t seem to understand this is their “last dance” year. Aging roster, the young stars they do have are about to hit FA and they won’t be able to afford them, and a barren minor league system. However far they go this year is the farthest they will go for decades. It’s been a decent run (1 legit title in 7 years, but 7 straight CS appearances is no joke) but the train is reaching the station. And it’s the station at the end of the railroad.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 2

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Series is far from over (tbh Astros should be favored in all remaining games), but Astros fans don’t seem to understand this is their “last dance” year. Aging roster, the young stars they do have are about to hit FA and they won’t be able to afford them, and a barren minor league system. However far they go this year is the farthest they will go for decades. It’s been a decent run (1 legit title in 7 years, but 7 straight CS appearances is no joke) but the train is reaching the station. And it’s the station at the end of the railroad.

Wishful Helo thinking.  There's at least one more year in the window.  Then tough decisions need to happen.

Just now, Helobious said:

This was the Astros most least dominant team in the past 7 years. Why would they magically get even better next year? 

You are forgetting the sub-.500 2020 team.

Full season of Altuve and a healthy Jose Abreu.  Full season of JV with the potential return of LMJ.  Yainer Diaz starting at catcher for a full season.  France and Brown building on their experience as SPs.  Pena working through his sophomore slump.  Who knows what happens in the free agent market for a 4th outfielder?  There are lots of ways the Astros can be better next year that aren't just wishful thinking.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Helobious said:

But I remember hearing this last year. That the WS against Philly was going to be the end of their reign. I guess it almost was as they were in danger of missing the playoffs the last week of the season. But here they are in the ALCS again. 

Just now, Pam Cummings said:

The Rangers need to stop with this Creed stuff. First of all it's god awful, secondly Creed made a fucking song about the Marlins because their lead singer is a Marlins fan, and it's every bit as shitty as it seems.

Can't stop now. 7-0 to start the playoffs. Gotta embrace the shitty band lol. If it means the Rangers win it all, I will jam Creed's entire discography for an entire month,.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

The Rangers need to stop with this Creed stuff. First of all it's god awful, secondly Creed made a fucking song about the Marlins because their lead singer is a Marlins fan, and it's every bit as shitty as it seems.

You'll get your Creed....and you'll like it.  

• Haha 1

Just now, Helobious said:

I don’t count the 2020 season for anything. 

And your post was literally full of wishful thinking (lmao have you seen the outfielder market for this off-season?) vs the actual facts I gave as reasons why this year is it. 

You said that the Astros young players are entering FA.  Not one of the core is entering FA.  The only wishful thinking in my list is Pena getting over sophomore slump.

Please don’t bring these back.
aee2abc5882d7a7f504bf9b65f9d69c2.jpg
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

It makes zero sense. They have a literal song about being fans of the Marlins of all teams.

It's not the organization...it's the players.  The players were jamming it in the clubhouse as a bit, and they got back on track.  Now it's bled over into the organization and the fanbase.  

You don't fuck with players' superstitions, even when they start out as a bit.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

It's not the organization...it's the players.  The players were jamming it in the clubhouse as a bit, and they got back on track.  Now it's bled over into the organization and the fanbase.  

At least it's better that that fucking Baby Shark bullshit the Nats pulled in 2019.

• Drool 1

54 minutes ago, Helobious said:

You just set the Astros up for another 3 years with this post. Thanks!

28 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I hate Creed just as much as the next guy. But if, hypothetically, I get stuck drinking a cosmo at a craps table and I start to go on a heater, I'm gonna keep ordering cosmos. You just don't fuck with lady luck.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

That's a dangerous game to play, telling people that if they lose they get to stop listening to Creed.

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Helobious said:

This was the Astros most least dominant team in the past 7 years. Why would they magically get even better next year? 

They’ve gone to back to back WS and won one. Having a fire to win is a real thing(look at the Phillies right now and the Astros last year). Houston hasn’t had the fire or been locked in like the last two years and maybe losing this year in the alcs like 2018 and 2020 will be what’s needed to get that fire back. There’s nothing to point to that makes you say they won’t be as good or better. You’re just making shit up and hoping it sticks to the wall like all your predictions 

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Not only is this dumb it’s woefully incorrect. 

Even your trolling is fucking regarded 

• Rage+1 1

50 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Playoff 'bits' are the best.  And Creed is a good one.  I remember being secretly super jealous of "Gloria" becoming the St. Louis Blues anthem during their '19 cup run for some similarly odd reason.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Playoff 'bits' are the best.  And Creed is a good one.  I remember being secretly super jealous of "Gloria" becoming the St. Louis Blues anthem during their '19 cup run for some similarly odd reason.

Maybe if the Rangers win it all we can get drunken Josh Hamilton to come join the parade an launch full beer cans at the fans along the route while screaming "I'm 6 ft from the edge, and i'm thinkin....!"   

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

I guess I understand Pam's POV because I still hate the Blues because of that season.  Fucking goons.