2023 ALCS: Rangers vs Astros

Helobious

17 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You sure are right, little guy. You can make any ol'thread you'd like. Bless your heart.

If no one else does it, I'll show up a couple of hours before game time on Sunday and start a real series thread. You can stay here in this thread and post hawt takes in a vacuum. We'll see if @immamac has the ability to block visibility of a thread from a poster. If so, you can just post here and wonder where the rest of us went. Win-win.

Oh goody!  We desperately needed more bandwagon Astros fans in this thread.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

This site is owned by a fucking Aggy. 

Zero-point-zero reason to give a shit who starts this thread. The Astro fans will be in their thread, Ranger fans the same, & you’re actually worried about this? 

Welcome to MLB on Surly, ctj. We know you’re new. 

9 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Let’s put an O/U on how many words ctj types to yell. 

I’m going with 450. 

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Oh goody!  We desperately needed more bandwagon Astros fans in this thread.

I post in the Astros threads every year and have been a diehard fan since childhood and through many bleak years as a fan following their minor leagues, looking for glimmers of hope during 100+ loss seasons. In typical fashion, you're absolutely wrong, but never in doubt.

You wouldn't notice because I don't cross over into Rangers threads. The Rangers are irrelevant, so I don't post about them or care, generally. 

4 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

ctj gonna tell imma how much he donates just to get his own new thread. 

Not sure if that was the 450 you needed, but go ahead and post some unhinged vitriolic response at me as if I've longcatted one of your sacred stalker threads, spystud. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I dont ever really care about baseball until the postseason. The atmosphere for these tight postseason games is a lot of fun. I don't care who wins, just want a good series. But my gut feeling is that the Astros do what they've done since they've been on this run and come up big when they need to. It's just a really clutch team. Rangers have been a lot of fun to watch as well. Just seems like they probably don't have the pitching to hang.

I'm really looking forward to the series, there's a strange mix of pseudo-rivalry and lack of pressure.

For all the hype it's got as the Battle for Texas, Houston-Dallas rivalry, etc., its the first time both teams are good so it's not like there's an established history of the rivalry really meaning anything. Also, while both teams obviously want to win, there's not a ton of pressure on the loser. The Astros just won a world series, the Rangers have already achieved great things this season and aren't going to lose any key payers for next year. I don't think either fan base views this as a true "must-win" series, at least any more than anyone ever wants to win a post-season series.

Edited by Serak The Preparer
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

mlb.com’s position-by-position breakdown if you want to kill a couple minutes. 

Why do the Astros fans hate Maldonado so much? Plays very solid defense from what I’ve seen and it’s pretty impossible to find a good catcher that hits well in the majors, so not sure why the dock his offense.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Why do the Astros fans hate Maldonado so much? Plays very solid defense from what I’ve seen and it’s pretty impossible to find a good catcher that hits well in the majors, so not sure why the dock his offense.

Because they think they're smarter than Dusty Baker.  They can't get their heads out of their calculators long enough to actually watch a game and see how Maldonado does all the little things that don't show up in a box score.  He's a proven veteran and a clutch player who elevates his game when the lights are brightest.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Because they think they're smarter than Dusty Baker.  They can't get their heads out of their calculators long enough to actually watch a game and see how Maldonado does all the little things that don't show up in a box score.  He's a proven veteran and a clutch player who elevates his game when the lights are brightest.  

I don't care why they do it, but as long as the blackhole of offense who batted :checksnotes: .191 (LOL) over the entire course of the regular season is in the everyday lineup that is good for Texas.

The guy is 2 for 15 in the playoffs. One less thing to worry about.

Several things keep my confidence tempered, but the biggest one is that in a close game either way boche is going to be tempted to use a left handed reliever the inning that Alvarez and tucker are due up.  Which means Chapman, smith, Burke, or the rookie from aledo (assuming they all make the roster- max and gray would have to bump someone).  

and that seems like a losing scenario more often than not. 

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

I don't hate Maldonado.  I've never questioned his effort or game calling.

Diaz is a far better alternative at the plate and the difference behind the dish is highly debatable.

14 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

For a guy who loves to scream “science!”, this is an intelligent post, Professor. 

14 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Several things keep my confidence tempered, but the biggest one is that in a close game either way boche is going to be tempted to use a left handed reliever the inning that Alvarez and tucker are due up.  Which means Chapman, smith, Burke, or the rookie from aledo (assuming they all make the roster- max and gray would have to bump someone).  

and that seems like a losing scenario more often than not. 

Yeah, the Rangers should throw as many lefties as they can at Alvarez and Tucker. Let’s see how it works out. 

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:
  • The Astros scored in double digits in 7 of those 25 games, or 28%. They scored double digits in 11 of our other 121 games, or 9%.

Call me crazy, but I think I'm in favor of a lineup that figures to score more runs. Especially against a very good offensive opponent. 

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Holy small sample size, Batman

You are a dumbass. As always. Go look at the numbers over 400 PA for Diaz v maldy and Chaz v Dubon. Also realize the better defensive players are Diaz and Chas. Or better yet, don’t opine on shit you have not even the most passing familiarity with. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You are a dumbass. As always. Go look at the numbers over 400 PA for Diaz v maldy and Chaz v Dubon. Also realize the better defensive players are Diaz and Chas. Or better yet, don’t opine on shit you have not even the most passing familiarity with. 

I imagine there is a world where everyone else has him on ignore so he screams into the void and I don't have to see his quoted posts. He is not worth your time. Your first sentence summed it up.

Screenshot_20231011_172355_Chrome.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

20 hours ago, Underdog said:

I'd like to see the Rangers finally get over the hump. 

They might. Baseball is the hardest sport to predict imo. You would have predicted the dodgers and Braves lineups completely shitting the bed while the rangers offense explodes in two series and the pitching looked dominate? Probably no one, and it changes game to game and series to series. You watch your team kick ass one day then the next you wonder if they even got off the bus, when your team wins a game you see them hoisting the WS trophy and if they lose the next you’re looking up what free agents are available in the winter.

If Houston loses I won’t be surprised, we’ve lost in the alcs before and having gone to two straight WS it’s not like history or the baseball gods are in our favor to go to a third straight. Either way I’ll be cheering. I will say I’m not as nervous as years past and winning two has helped me to watched relaxed(or more than before. I still yell at the tv).

Trying to figure out who’s gonna show up is tough, are we gonna get dominate JV or the one that gives up multiple bombs in 3 innings? Who knows. Just cross your fingers and hope for the best and enjoy the series. Who would have thought the rangers and Astros would be in the alcs this year? Not me. Gonna be fun. 

From ESPN for Helo. Not that additional data ever changes his mind: 

What has surprised us: Call this a non-surprise surprise, but boy does Baker love catcher Martin Maldonado. Statistically, Maldonado is the worst postseason hitter in history among those with at least 150 plate appearances. His framing metrics were among the worst in the game. He had a terrible season throwing out base stealers. Yainer Diaz is a much superior offensive player, had a much better rate throwing out runners and the Astros had a better record when he started at catcher than Maldonado -- .619 winning percentage versus .534. But Baker trusts Maldonado, and the veteran got all four starts against the Twins (Diaz got one start at DH). At some point the Astros may need more offense. Will Baker be willing to sit his guy?

• Rage+1 4

Helo is just trolling y'all. He has an unhealthy obsession with the Astros, and reads the season thread to know what triggers y'all. I'm sure he would be busy with other things if anyone else around here gave a shit about the Yankees enough to talk about them, rather than laugh at their constant underachievement. 

• Hook 'Em 1

What triggers us would trigger even the most casual observer of any team: playing inferior players over superior ones, all for "reasons" that amount to gibberish. I don't think anyone would have trouble seeing that as a way to get harsh reactions. 

As for "small sample size," that's a hilarious take coming from the guy who pronounced The Martian a superstar after a cup of coffee in AAA.  

2 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

What triggers us would trigger even the most casual observer of any team: playing inferior players over superior ones, all for "reasons" that amount to gibberish. I don't think anyone would have trouble seeing that as a way to get harsh reactions. 

As for "small sample size," that's a hilarious take coming from the guy who pronounced The Martian a superstar after a cup of coffee in AAA.  

lol. Dude had a historically good ML debut before he got hurt. It included taking Verlander’s bitchass deep on his first swing in the majors.

44 minutes ago, Helobious said:

lol. Dude had a historically good ML debut before he got hurt. It included taking Verlander’s bitchass deep on his first swing in the majors.

Whether that kid turns out to hit like Mickey Mantle or Mickey Mouse, his sample size was (and remains) microscopic.

Dominguez probably will be a good hitter. Diaz is already much farther on his way to proving he is one.

Edited by Gut Wagon

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

For a guy who loves talking about small sample size, you sure are putting a lot of stock into 33 MLB PAs

• Like 1