2023 QB Controversy: Maalikmas or Arch Madness?

Twizzler

Who thinks arch manning is planning on being a 5th year senior?

Sit a year, get acclimated, avoid qb battle controversy being better for development ...sure.

Respect the family's wishes.

But i cant see actually 'burning the shirt' making a difference in how long he's at UT.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Twizzler said:

Sit a year, get acclimated, avoid qb battle controversy being better for development ...sure.

But i cant see actually 'burning the shirt' making a difference in how long he's at UT.

Burning the shirt is hard to do at this point in the season…assuming Ewers can come back relatively soon.

Replacing a player in an emergency situation is exactly how Peyton got his first action.  The Mannings are well aware this is a team sport.  

Edited by Pound Town

Play To Win New York Jets GIF

If Manning is actually better than Murphy but they kept Murphy listed as QB2 so far to keep him happy and downplay any Manning talk, then Manning should play immediately. He gets 4 games without burning the redshirt. By then Ewers should be back, and if not, starting 5+ meaningful games is probably worth burning the redshirt of a QB who won’t be here his 5th year anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Homercles said:

So is it unnecessary roughness on MM if he ends up throwing the ball straight threw a defender’s body?  

Ukraine doesn’t need Javelins, just a few Maalik clones out there throwing slant routes.  

What if it comes out the other end? Live ball?

Edited by mwaadeeb
I read that as down their throat (and out their ass), ha.

I’m invoking dumb question amnesty here in asking this, but I thought you were allowed to participate in 4 games without burning your redshirt and as I recall I thought Arch only played once this year.  I’ll hang up and listen to your answer.  

Maybe we can do what Baylor did in that bowl game a few years ago when we beat the fuck out of their entire fucking QB room.  Just ran the ball down NC(?) neck all game long.  

3 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I’m invoking dumb question amnesty here in asking this, but I thought you were allowed to participate in 4 games without burning your redshirt and as I recall I thought Arch only played once this year.  I’ll hang up and listen to your answer.  

He can play in 4 games and retain his redshirt.  He has not taken the field yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

Spring game doesn’t count toward your redshirt count. Arch hasn’t played in a real game yet. 
If you play in more than 4 games, you burn your shirt. 

Thanks. For some reason I thought I remembered his coming in for some worthless hands offs once but I guess I was wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I just want to see Murphy get a full head of steam and truck some poor BYW DB at about 20 MPH

Can he hit 20 mph?  I'm not sure where these Maalik as running back fever dreams are coming from.  He's a pro style QB with an absolute cannon for an arm.  Play to his strengths (which might not include knowing when to take some off the pass).

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

If Manning is actually better than Murphy but they kept Murphy listed as QB2 so far to keep him happy and downplay any Manning talk, then Manning should play immediately. He gets 4 games without burning the redshirt. By then Ewers should be back, and if not, starting 5+ meaningful games is probably worth burning the redshirt of a QB who won’t be here his 5th year anyway. 

Basically - we should play the guy who gives us the best chance of winning. Redshirts and roster management are secondary or even tertiary after winning. Not giving yourself the best chance to win because of some off the field bullshit is coaching malpractice.

Which one would think is pretty obvious, but still. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Basically - we should play the guy who gives us the best chance of winning. Redshirts and roster management are secondary or even tertiary after winning. Not giving yourself the best chance to win because of some off the field bullshit is coaching malpractice.
Which one would think is pretty obvious, but still. 

I remember reading that Nick Saban burned a guys shirt for a couple of plays in a bowl game. If that’s true, that is absolute bullshit. At some point, those guys getting to sit, learn and grow are what’s going to help the program in the long run. That’s more important that one or two games.

6 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I don't expect to see many 5th year QBs in this day and age.  A redshirt for Manning is meaningless.

It isn't meaningless if the Grandpa, dad and uncles were told he would and wanted him to redshirt. Make no mistake, the Mannings care about Texas ONLY because Arch is enrolled there.

Edited by Longhornlove

7 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

I remember reading that Nick Saban burned a guys shirt for a couple of plays in a bowl game. If that’s true, that is absolute bullshit. At some point, those guys getting to sit, learn and grow are what’s going to help the program in the long run. That’s more important that one or two games.

That depends. If Arch is the difference between 3-0 and  0 -3 the next 3 games, play him. Those 3 games could be very meaningful for the program. There is a significant difference in perception of a program that went 5 wins, 8 wins, and 10/11 vs 5,8,and 8.. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

It isn't meaningless if the Grandpa, dad and uncles were told he would and wanted him to redshirt. Make no mistake, the Mannings care about Texas ONLY because Arch is enrolled there.

So just play him the next 4 games... he can still redshirt.  Frankly the talk is meaningless though. There is no way you can't tell me Archie, Peyton and Eli would say "I know the team needs you and is currently in the hunt for the playoffs and championship(s)... but we said no playing him this year".  That is just stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Redshirts only matter if they stick around 5 years and are contributors. Great QBs don’t do that anymore. Maybe 3 or 4 star OL that become fringe starters by the end. 

6 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

There is no way you can't tell me Archie, Peyton and Eli would say "I know the team needs you and is currently in the hunt for the playoffs and championship(s)... but we said no playing him this year".  That is just stupid.

Sure there is, I don't know them and don't pretend to. It is obvious at this point there was a plan to redshirt him. Pretty sure that didn't come from Arch himself. You are right about one thing though "but we said no playing him this year" is  stupid, I didn't say it and I'm not sure who did. He gets to play in 4 games, he should get some time. Maybe we are fortunate he hasn't gotten in a game yet. Sark himself has said multiple times this year that he wanted to get Arch in a game, it just hasn't happened. 

Edited by Longhornlove

If there is any 5 star QB prospect going into college open to staying 5 years I would think it is Arch Manning. You may have heard his family isn’t exactly hurting for money. QB is right there with OL in terms of positions that benefit from staying in school. Eli was in school 5 years. Peyton came back for his senior year. By all accounts there seems to be an emphasis from him and his family on enjoying the experience and prioritizing development over a given timeline like playing in year 1, draft by year 3, whatever.

I’m not necessarily saying he is a 5 year guy but it’s more likely than 3 IMO.

16 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

That depends. If Arch is the difference between 3-0 and  0 -3 the next 3 games, play him. Those 3 games could be very meaningful for the program. There is a significant difference in perception of a program that went 5 wins, 8 wins, and 10/11 vs 5,8,and 8.. 

Well, yeah. Jesus. That's a fireable offense if you don't. 

Am I crazy or do all the posts in this topic look familiar?

confused disney animation GIF

Also I think some of you may need to realize Arch isn't actually Peyton Manning.  I hope he will be great here but he is still a true freshman who hasn't taken a single snap. 

Edited by GTJ1982

31 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I don't expect to see many 5th year QBs in this day and age.  A redshirt for Manning is meaningless.

That 5th year could potentially represent some leverage for the family if during Manning's redshirt junior season some bullshit NFL team is headed towards the #1 pick they could potentially pressure that bullshit team to trade the pick. Like they did with Eli

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Can he hit 20 mph?  I'm not sure where these Maalik as running back fever dreams are coming from.  He's a pro style QB with an absolute cannon for an arm.  Play to his strengths (which might not include knowing when to take some off the pass).

I can tell you where they are coming from…

Just now, kevwun said:

Arch Manning is not going to play here 5 years.  If he's good, it will be 3 or 4 at most.  Murphy has 2-4 quarters to see what he can do.  If he's terrible, Arch is going to play sooner rather than later.

This is so dumb I don’t even know where to start. Lmao. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

That 5th year could potentially represent some leverage for the family if during Manning's redshirt junior season some bullshit NFL team is headed towards the #1 pick they could potentially pressure that bullshit team to trade the pick. Like they did with Eli

The Chargers drafted Eli and traded him for Rivers and a package of picks

eli-chargers-nfl-draft-06-27-16.jpg

All of you are stupid. I know EXACTLY what is going to happen. 

MM starts against BYU and does okay, until he has a couple of turnovers late in the 2nd qtr. We go into halftime down by 3 - 7 points. Arch starts the 2nd half and plays like the love child of Joe Montana & Tom Brady. We win huge. The national media goes batshit. 

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

He can play in 4 games and retain his redshirt.  He has not taken the field yet.

I thought it was 3.

Either way, I think coaches are going to roll with Maalik and hope for the best but he will be on a short leash as to not lose a game and tank the hopes for the season for good.

Think of like baseball, ideally Maalik can eat up some innings until Quinn is ready again, but at a minimum Maalik can win and then Arch can come in for a game or 3, and keep his redshirt as it's important to him and the family, apparently.

45 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:
51 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

There is no way you can't tell me Archie, Peyton and Eli would say "I know the team needs you and is currently in the hunt for the playoffs and championship(s)... but we said no playing him this year".  That is just stupid.

Sure there is, I don't know them and don't pretend to. It is obvious at this point there was a plan to redshirt him. Pretty sure that didn't come from Arch himself. You are right about one thing though "but we said no playing him this year" is  stupid, I didn't say it and I'm not sure who did. He gets to play in 4 games, he should get some time. Maybe we are fortunate he hasn't gotten in a game yet. Sark himself has said multiple times this year that he wanted to get Arch in a game, it just hasn't happened.

Like you, I can only speculate, but there is a huge difference between making him the starter as a true freshman named as such coming out of fall camp vs this point in the season. He's had much more time to practice and absorb the offence, etc. Furthermore, what MonkeyDoughNut said above. It is not the same pressure cooker situation at this point for Arch as it would have been from the get-go. Still less than ideal though. Best for everyone if Maalik can swing it.

At least they know what's coming. They have the full week with the mindset that one or both of them will play in the next game. It's not an abstract concept that suddenly becomes reality. No greater example of that I can think of than poor Garrett Gilbert.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

All of you are stupid. I know EXACTLY what is going to happen. 

MM starts against BYU and does okay, until he has a couple of turnovers late in the 2nd qtr. We go into halftime down by 3 - 7 points. Arch starts the 2nd half and plays like the love child of Joe Montana & Tom Brady. We win huge. The national media goes batshit. 

Why not. It's been awhile since we've had a true QB controversy. 

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

51 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

The Chargers drafted Eli and traded him for Rivers and a package of picks

eli-chargers-nfl-draft-06-27-16.jpg

Because Eli refused to play for the Chargers.

If some slapdick team like the Raiders has the #1 pick after Arch's junior year, he very well may come back to college with his 5 million dollar NIL valuation or at least threaten them to trade the pick to a favorable destination 

14 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Like you, I can only speculate, but there is a huge difference between making him the starter as a true freshman named as such coming out of fall camp vs this point in the season. He's had much more time to practice and absorb the offence, etc. Furthermore, what MonkeyDoughNut said above. It is not the same pressure cooker situation at this point for Arch as it would have been from the get-go. Still less than ideal though. Best for everyone if Maalik can swing it.

At least they know what's coming. They have the full week with the mindset that one or both of them will play in the next game. It's not an abstract concept that suddenly becomes reality. No greater example of that I can think of than poor Garrett Gilbert.

GG delivered us a W at Nebraska and i for one am eternally gratedful for that.  I wish MB would have brought Sherrod Harris in for that initial series ex-Colt for the reasons you stated above.

I cant recall who got backup/mop up during the season, Harris may not have played at all, cant recall.  But i remember thinking in the Rose Bowl that night we have a JR upperclassman standing there , lets see if we can bridge things until Colt comes back in.

• Like 1