Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Not resigning Charlie Morton cost us at least one ring. We missed on that FA signing 

this was a damn glorious night !

Even more credit to Charlie for closing out that game without Maldy there to guide him.

• Haha 6
  • Drool 1

13 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Especially when the Rangers are gonna win it, then talk massive amounts of shit about how they have the only legitimate World Series in the history of this state, even though Adolis is obviously on enough steroids to kill a horse.

It’s so cute that they would think beating an 84 win team in the WS means it’s legitimate… 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

Winning a WS is hard. We could easily have 4 but we pissed 2 away because we couldn’t win a single fucking home game in a 7 game series. 
We were not even close to the best team in baseball but it would have been nice to steal one to make up for 2019. 
we should have at least 2 more very legit chances coming up. 

• Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Winning a WS is hard. We could easily have 4 but we pissed 2 away because we couldn’t win a single fucking home game in a 7 game series. 
We were not even close to the best team in baseball but it would have been nice to steal one to make up for 2019. 

It's not like we're the only team that couldn't win a home game against them this postseason.

That was an impressive run through the playoffs.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Making 4 out of 7 WS in this expanded playoff format is pretty incredible but it still hurts that 2 of the other 3 we lost Game 7 of the LCS.

The impressive thing is 7 straight DS wins (7-1 if you go back to the very beginning of the run).  4-3 in LCS and 2-2 in the WS reflects the coin flip nature of short series.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, WBT said:

Making 4 out of 7 WS in this expanded playoff format is pretty incredible but it still hurts that 2 of the other 3 we lost Game 7 of the LCS.

The impressive thing is 7 straight DS wins (7-1 if you go back to the very beginning of the run).  4-3 in LCS and 2-2 in the WS reflects the coin flip nature of short series.

2019 really really sucked 

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, UTexasFight said:
4 hours ago, David Dennison said:

It's not like we're the only team that couldn't win a home game against them this postseason.

That was an impressive run through the playoffs.

This is just what Bochy does in the playoffs. It's how you win 15 of 16 playoff series. He did this with the Giants too where they were even better on the road in the playoffs. 

If we didn’t shit the bed at home just one game we would have won again this year. And that’s with a shit ton of holes that need to be filled. That’s how deep and good this team is and why we aren’t going anywhere. Go Hire an experienced manager for this experienced team, go sign a few guys and play with a chip on your shoulder and we will be back in the WS again next year. Oh and get the guys we expect to be stars to actually play like it.

• Hook 'Em 3

I can admit that at times I'm a petty little bitch.  Watching them win last night pissed me off more than when they beat the Astros in the ALCS.  Happy for some of the Ranger fans in my circle that they get to experience their team winning a World Series. 

I won't be so petty as to try to downplay their accomplishment.  Winning a World Series is a big deal, and you can only play the teams put in your path.  They won the tournament and there is no disputing that.  It's not their fault that it turned into such a shitty series to watch for fans.

But I'm still pissed.  Pissed that the Astros lost.  Pissed that the Rangers won.  Pissed as a baseball fan that we only got one really good game during the World Series.  

• Hook 'Em 7

Iron sharpens iron. Hopefully the Rangers win means we are more aggressive this offseason. 

With Diaz and Chas playing everyday we are immediately better. 

We start the season with a 6 man rotation, then get help from Luis Garcia at the ASB.. 

I think we need a top end starter, but this can be obtained at the deadline. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I can admit that at times I'm a petty little bitch.  Watching them win last night pissed me off more than when they beat the Astros in the ALCS.  Happy for some of the Ranger fans in my circle that they get to experience their team winning a World Series. 

I won't be so petty as to try to downplay their accomplishment.  Winning a World Series is a big deal, and you can only play the teams put in your path.  They won the tournament and there is no disputing that.  It's not their fault that it turned into such a shitty series to watch for fans.

But I'm still pissed.  Pissed that the Astros lost.  Pissed that the Rangers won.  Pissed as a baseball fan that we only got one really good game during the World Series.  

And that's fair. I have a lot of loyal Rangers fans among my friends, so good for them. I just don't want to see them win another title. Well, unless we're out of it and they're facing the Yankees in the LCS or the Dodgers or Cards in the WS. Then Arlington is the lesser of two evils in my view.

I share your hope that no longer bring atop the Texas MLB food chain spurs some aggressive moves by Crane. I mean, as long as there's some sound logic to go with that aggression. To me, bringing in Ausmus or Chapman wouldn't show such logic.   

Crane should have roughly infinite money having never really gone over the cap and being in the ALCS 7 years in a row.  There is zero excuse not to pay up and get FAs.  We've had top of the league crowds for that whole time.  And he owns the network again.  Zero excuses

And if the Rangers sign Ohtani and we don't even try I may snap.  And y'all know I'm a bit of a calm, sunshine pumper.  

Edited by uoftorange
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, uoftorange said:

Crane should have roughly infinite money having never really gone over the cap and being in the ALCS 7 years in a row.  There is zero excuse not to pay up and get FAs.  We've had top of the league crowds for that whole time.  And he owns the network again.  Zero excuses

And if the Rangers sign Ohtani and we don't even try I may snap.  And y'all know I'm a bit of a calm, sunshine pumper.  

payroll flexibility and not being tied down with long / bad contracts has been a huge part of this run 

It’s pretty obvious the padres what to dump soto, he’s he worth a big contract ?

34 minutes ago, uoftorange said:

steve-buscemi-fuck-all-that.gif.3959d94d46bcd9c159dcbdc11568df8f.gif

"Paying up" and getting FAs is how you end up with short windows followed by long droughts.  Paying up has done wonders for SD, Mets, Yankees, etc.  Go look at the used up corpses in Dombrowski's wake.  No thanks.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, WBT said:

Seager and Semien are working out so far

You wouldn’t have said that last year. 

I’m seeing Bellinger contact estimates at 6-7 years approaching $200M. He had 1 good year in the last 4 seasons. That’s ridiculous. 

Edited by TonyTexas

7 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I've got cold fucking feet after the Montero signing.  I wouldn't mind having any of those three relievers back in the fold, but not at what they likely want.  I struggle with another 1-yr deal for Brantley.  He's not recovering from surgery, so that's a plus over signing him last year.    

• Hook 'Em 1