Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

Rays won't be in the top 5.  They were a .500 team long before(pretty much starting in June) Wander stopped playing.  They just benefited from a blistering start. 

Jays will be when they announce Ohtani today, Yankees should be there but they also like to shit down their legs.  I could see them having 3 of the top 8 

• Hook 'Em 1

Which one of you slapdicks posted this review on breathing orange fire?

These guys’ obsession with Dusty makes the show unlistenable.

These guys applauding themselves for making Dusty not like his job was kind of it for me. I get that Dusty made questionable decisions but dancing on someone’s grave after they decide to leave feels in bad taste.

This will be my favorite review ever.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

These guys applauding themselves for making Dusty not like his job was kind of it for me. I get that Dusty made questionable decisions but dancing on someone’s grave after they decide to leave feels in bad taste.

Retired Dusty Baker is the best Dusty Baker.

• Like 1

Where do you leave reviews for podcasts? Is there a Yelp section for that?

Don't know why you're asking us, that person is obviously not a shaggy poster.

Edited by runthebone
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That’s awesome

reads like one of those negative reviews of national parks:

”felt very isolated.”

Don’t blast someone for the truth.

• Like 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

4 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Wow, that contract is nuts!  I’m actually kind of impressed that the Dodgers are willing to risk that much. 

It’s not that big a deal. More than half the contract is deferred until after he’s through playing allegedly. You know how to do the present value of money calculation as well as I do. A couple of morons that are Yankee fans on the hot stove thread don’t, of course, one of which is Helo, but yeah/ once that tweet came out it made a lot more sense. 
The dodgers are rich and worth a ton of money and have a large Asian population obviously in their town. This isn’t a risky deal for them imo. 

20 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s not that big a deal. More than half the contract is deferred until after he’s through playing allegedly. You know how to do the present value of money calculation as well as I do. A couple of morons that are Yankee fans on the hot stove thread don’t, of course, one of which is Helo, but yeah/ once that tweet came out it made a lot more sense. 
The dodgers are rich and worth a ton of money and have a large Asian population obviously in their town. This isn’t a risky deal for them imo. 

So, it's more like 40-700.

24 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

So, it's more like 40-700.

Yep. Don’t know how much is deferred and how much is present value but I’d guess it would be equivalent to 10/450 or 500. I had 12/600 before the injury so probably pretty similar. Will run present day value calculations when it comes out official on the schedule. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

Just as a lark I went through the Dodgers roster, current payroll, and then Fangraphs prospect list.  A few observations:

1.  For as touted as their minor league system is by prospect writers, they don't appear to be developing replacements for departing MLB players.  Most of their prospects are also older.

2.  Speaking of old, what's left of their lineup is pretty ancient. 

3.  Signing Ohtani is unlikely to be their last move and then need several starters.  Isn't that what we just heard about the Yankees?

3 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

How much over the cap does this put the dodgers? They have to be paying a massive tax? I never get how we don’t have money yet these other teams are just signing everyone that’s available 

They were only at $130M pre-Ohtani. His hit will depend on the contract structure but they are in pretty good shape cap-wise

5 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

They were only at $130M pre-Ohtani. His hit will depend on the contract structure but they are in pretty good shape cap-wise

They still have some holes to fill, and apparently plan to re-sign Kershaw who wants 25m a year. I think Ohtanis cap hit will be around 60m a year with the deferral. Sherzer had half his 7 year 210m deal with the Nats deferred, and it only lowered his cap hit by 13% a year. The deferral thing is being overstated, it's not a 1 to 1 deal, the 'savings' is based on NPV dollars and projected inflation, and it's a small portion of the total amount owed each year.  

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Their roster actually looks a lot like ours might after 2025 and with only Altuve and Yordan left.  Stars and scrubs.