Texas vs tcu - 6:30pm on ABC

Pancho

8 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Here’s the ref giving TCU a first down early in the 2nd half. They were going from left to right. Notice the ref is a full yard behind the line to gain and signaling 1st down 

Plus the false start that caused the FG was an imaginary false start. Jones didn’t move. That’s a potential 4 point swing by the refs 

72146925646__D80A0CB4-6D4C-4F8A-A242-41B99B8BA526.jpeg

Lol. Yes, it's the refs' fault that we blew almost blew a 20 point lead.

2 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

To my eyes, a huge component to Sark turtling in second halves is he has yet to have a QB on campus that he fully trusts to make the necessary reads for his offense.

An offense that requires a college QB to make perfect reads every time is not a good college offense.  You can't build an offense and then hope for a generational talent to execute it.

• Hook 'Em 4

23 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Refs gifted us two non-PI calls in the end zone. One on Taafe on TCU 4th down, and the other on the two-point conversion where he was clearly held

A better throw gets the call on the 2 pt conversion.  Receiver didn't even try to get to it because it was nowhere near where it was supposed to be.

• Hook 'Em 3

My take is Sark went to running the clock down early in the 2nd half because Quinn isn’t 100% and he didn’t want turnovers to change the game like they did against K St
The strategy did actually work to win the game. Easy to say Sark should have kept the gas on, but a less than 100% Quinn throwing an INT could have lost the game for us 

This is so obvious that my dumbass know nothing self said the same thing during the game. There were several times when QE was staggering to the sideline and holding or rubbing his right shoulder while sitting.
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Have you seen the talent discrepancies between the two schools?  I honestly hadn’t even heard of KSU before they joined the big12 back in the day.  

Do certain victories carry more style points than others? Does it matter if we win because the coaches went out and accrued a massive talent advantage or if we win because they were better tacticians? No it doesn't.

23 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Have you seen the talent discrepancies between the two schools?  I honestly hadn’t even heard of KSU before they joined the big12 back in the day.  

This would hold more weight if KSU didn’t fumble multiple wins against us directly because of their supposed “elite staff” that you mentioned.

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

This would hold more weight if KSU didn’t fumble multiple wins against us directly because of their supposed “elite staff” that you mentioned.

the players screwed up, like missing easy FGs/XP, not really the coaches fault for ridiculous schemes (ie Texas staff)

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Do certain victories carry more style points than others? Does it matter if we win because the coaches went out and accrued a massive talent advantage or if we win because they were better tacticians? No it doesn't.

No, but problematic trends of coaching staffs do.  This staff has the benefit of a vastly down conference and has been limping past team after team other top programs would destroy by 30.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

the players screwed up, like missing easy FGs/XP, not really the coaches fault for ridiculous schemes (ie Texas staff)

Whatever man. For Texas it’s always on the coaches but for Kansas State they just need their players to play better! Nevermind stupid decisions like mismanaging the clock before half back to back years resulting in zero points or going for it on 4th down when facing a backup QB who couldn’t have moved the ball on Westlake at that point in the game.

9 hours ago, Thatguy said:

You guys are fucking regarded. Pretty clear QE isn't 100%. Sark seemed to want nothing to do with putting him in harm's way once we got up on them. I can appreciate that. He called his number in the end and QE delivered. On to the next. Quit fucking crying.

How do you square this with the deep shots we were taking on our first drive of the third quarter that we started on our 2 yd line?

That brings up another disagreement with a lot of people about last night. Sark didn’t “turtle” in the second half, as we used that term with Tom Herman. He didn’t try to play conservative and play not to lose. In the third quarter he did the opposite and that’s my criticism of Sark. 

My criticism is that maybe we should have played more conservatively once we got a 20 point lead. Why are we playing a hurry up offense, throwing the ball downfield and snapping the ball with 20-25 seconds left on the play clock when we are ahead by 20 points?  We were playing like we were the team losing by 20. We seem to be the only team I’ve ever seen that runs the ball effectively in the first half and then can’t grind a defense down with the running game in the second half. 

• Hook 'Em 2

So many comments about the offense. The biggest issue was the defense totally imploding. It was to the point that they struggled to stop the run. I totally understood Sark going to the run on that 3rd drive, he had to give the defense a breather. They had seen a bunch of plays and were getting gashed. The run on 3rd and 3 in TCU territory was just bad. I can’t excuse that, but logic on the drive made sense. This turned into a game, because the defense played their worst half of football this season. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

To my eyes, a huge component to Sark turtling in second halves is he has yet to have a QB on campus that he fully trusts to make the necessary reads for his offense.

Had the same thought.  He still distrusts Ewers a bit, and probably just about everyone else, too.  Seems to be having difficulty moderating things to match the level of execution.

We execute for periods of time pretty well and maybe he lets off the brake a bit and we break out in fuckups.

Edited by TwiceHorn

16 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

How do you square this with the deep shots we were taking on our first drive of the third quarter that we started on our 2 yd line?

That brings up another disagreement with a lot of people about last night. Sark didn’t “turtle” in the second half, as we used that term with Tom Herman. He didn’t try to play conservative and play not to lose. In the third quarter he did the opposite and that’s my criticism of Sark. 

My criticism is that maybe we should have played more conservatively once we got a 20 point lead. Why are we playing a hurry up offense, throwing the ball downfield and snapping the ball with 20-25 seconds left on the play clock when we are ahead by 20 points?  We were playing like we were the team losing by 20. We seem to be the only team I’ve ever seen that runs the ball effectively in the first half and then can’t grind a defense down with the running game in the second half. 

Well, we sometimes seem to execute better in a tempo offense, for whatever reason.  It really does seem the longer we sit there lined up, the more likely an OL is to jump and Ewers to get into his own head or something.

I tried paying attention to the play clock in the second half, and didn't always succeed.  But, most of the times I did watch, it was under 20, but rarely under 10.  And those plays seemed excruciating and doomed.  And it does seem to give the D more time to diagnose.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Well, we sometimes seem to execute better in a tempo offense, for whatever reason.  It really does seem the longer we sit there lined up, the more likely an OL is to jump and Ewers to get into his own head or something.

That’s fair, and I’m sure the defense was loading up to stop the run so the 1-1 opportunities were there outside, but we have to find w at to bleed the clock better when we are up big in the second half. I never seen a team that squanders so many big leads. 

Still happy to be 9-1. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

My take is Sark went to running the clock down early in the 2nd half because Quinn isn’t 100% and he didn’t want turnovers to change the game like they did against K St

The strategy did actually work to win the game. Easy to say Sark should have kept the gas on, but a less than 100% Quinn throwing an INT could have lost the game for us 

And what about all the other times he’s done the same thing?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Georgia fan buddy of mine has followed Texas a bit since the Bama game and texted me this last night: “Sark underutilizes Sanders and that muscular slot WR”

He only watched the second half, and missed a lot of Sanders’ highlights, but the lack of targets to J Whitt has been baffling.

Edited by USNALonghorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

Look Sark is who he is. We’re 9-1, stacked with talent, jumps on opponents early, but have given up 20 pt leads in the second half for several games in a row. 

Half empty: this team can’t close
Half full: this team hasn’t played their best game yet.

I can deal with all that. I hope they made Savion Red walk the fuck home, though. I don’t want to see his dumb ass again this season.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Two observations:

I was relieved that we got the false start on 4th and 1 which forced us to kick the fucking FG.

I was so delighted that we did not give up our traditional touchdown at the end of the half. 

Great effort tonight, 'Horns. We look like the real deal through two quarters. Let's beat the shit out of these guys in the second half. Please, for once, let's have a laugher in the fourth quarter.

And, again, we did not get a laugher.

And, again, we gave up late-in-half touchdowns presumably because the stifling defense we had been using must be abandoned for a defense designed to prevent quick scores that inevitably leads to quick scores. I guess we feel like it's enough to limit scoring drives to 3 or 4 plays.

All gas. No brakes. Nope. Half gas. Slam on the brakes.

It's not the players. Sark has created a culture that overcomes poor strategic decisions. It would take so very little to clean up the repeated strategic errors plus the notable tactical blunder of joining the cult of "being aggressive."

• Kick the fucking field goal.
  • Punt at midfield when you have a dominating defense.
  • Don't run the same failed blind charges at the middle of the line on fourth and short even if they used to work.

Adapt, Coach Sarkisian. Do so and join the ranks of elite coaches. You're so close.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Georgia fan buddy of mine has followed Texas a bit since the Bama game and texted me this last night: “Sark underutilizes Sanders and that muscular slot WR”

He only watched the second half, and missed a lot of Sanders’ highlights, but the lack of targets to J Whitt has been baffling.

He's evidently been banged up. Still, if he's on the field, utilize him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

I am not sure why. X, Mitchell, and Sanders will all be drafted. You can add J Brooks to that list. JWhitt is the 4th/5th option on any play. There is a reason his biggest game happened when Sanders was a shadow of himself 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Good poster on IT (believe he is a HS coach) just posted this 

Hide contents

I have seen a lot of lament that Sark went "conservative, yet again", so I charted the second half.

Here is what it looked like:

IMG_7676.thumb.png.5bad43d25f51d77943def09b0cc31ccd.png

The red lines are stalled drives. The yellow is what preceded the Bert Auburn FG. 

- The first drive is blown up by poor WR execution. 

- The second series was RPO heavy and the incompletion to JWhitt really hurt. 

- The third drive resulted in points and was a great example of imposing our will on the ground. Didn't have a single third down the whole way down the field until we kicked the FG.

- The second to last drive is a 3-and-out with Baxter replacing Brooks and the line not blocking well. At that point, you have to run some clock, and honestly, they hadn't stopped it on the prior drive either. 

- The last drive starts out with a pass and we overcome a holding penalty with a great catch by Mitchell. We ran out the last 3:22 with the ball at the end. Doesn't sound conservative to me, and I wouldn't have blamed him here if he had.

Has anyone thought to ask if Quinn's shoulder was a problem in the second half? The throw to Mitchell was a floater. Blame the defense for putting us in that situation, but I have no problem with the play calls.

Any play that requires Worthy to be the primary blocker is a play destined for doom.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

An offense that requires a college QB to make perfect reads every time is not a good college offense.  You can't build an offense and then hope for a generational talent to execute it.

Except Sark is not asking them to be Tom Brady back there, just hit Whitt wide open on the underneath and continue the drive. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

Any play that requires Worthy to be the primary blocker is a play destined for doom.

If we just ran crossing routes all day over the middle we could be picking teams apart with Sanders and Whittington and then mixing things up with deep balls to Worthy/Mitchell and runs with Baxter. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

I figured Dykes would be the coach to try to abandon the run from the opening kick, throw it 60 times, and make our secondary win the game. I suppose they had some success on the ground, but we’re not executing at a high enough level to keep pace with even an average passing attack if they push the ball downfield all night 

34 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

It's not the players. Sark has created a culture that overcomes poor strategic decisions. It would take so very little to clean up the repeated strategic errors plus the notable tactical blunder of joining the cult of "being aggressive."

• Kick the fucking field goal.
  • Punt at midfield when you have a dominating defense.
  • Don't run the same failed blind charges at the middle of the line on fourth and short even if they used to work.

These are tactical errors

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

I figured Dykes would be the coach to try to abandon the run from the opening kick, throw it 60 times, and make our secondary win the game. I suppose they had some success on the ground, but we’re not executing at a high enough level to keep pace with even an average passing attack if they push the ball downfield all night 

I guess we'll find out what Campbell does. We can only hope he's as dumb as the others. Becco may have started off as a Freshman, but he's playing like a Jr now. Not looking forward to playing in Ames.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

This. YALL hammered Sark after the OU & KSU game for being to aggressive so he learns and goes conservative which btw would have worked with Brooks, Baxter has to learn to break a tackle.  Not to mention the drive before TCU had the ball for seeming like the whole 3rd Qtr. The last thing you want to do is go aggressive and put your defense right back on the field after a quick 3 and out. 

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

but overperforms with minimal talent.  Take KSU staff with Texas athletes and see what we get. 

Haven’t we already been down this road???? That doesn’t work just because a coach wins with less talent doesn’t mean he’s going to know how to handle more talent. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, D3zii said:

This. YALL hammered Sark after the OU & KSU game for being to aggressive so he learns and goes conservative which btw would have worked with Brooks, Baxter has to learn to break a tackle.  Not to mention the drive before TCU had the ball for seeming like the whole 3rd Qtr. The last thing you want to do is go aggressive and put your defense right back on the field after a quick 3 and out. 

Haven’t we already been down this road???? That doesn’t work just because a coach wins with less talent doesn’t mean he’s going to know how to handle more talent. 

I saw nothing wrong with the play calling overall. It comes down to execution. We are bad in the redzone. We are bad at closing out blow outs. We are bad at play defense with less than 2 minutes in a half. All of these are symptoms of the same problem: this team just goes brain dead when it thinks it's about to get some. The closer we get to success, the more we fuck up.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Or that he will get the talent to begin with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Refs gifted us two non-PI calls in the end zone. One on Taafe on TCU 4th down, and the other on the two-point conversion where he was clearly held

the 2 point conversion the WR contacted and grabbed our DB first.  That was a good no call.  Taafe had good position but there wasn't a good angle on the replay.

Look Sark is who he is. We’re 9-1, stacked with talent, jumps on opponents early, but have given up 20 pt leads in the second half for several games in a row. 

Half empty: this team can’t close
Half full: this team hasn’t played their best game yet.
I can deal with all that. I hope they made Savion Red walk the fuck home, though. I don’t want to see his dumb ass again this season.

I’d add “stacked at certain positions like Interior DL, RB and WR.”

DB and LB are anything BUT stacked (at least with proven players). After all Taafe still plays a LOT. Anthony Hill is a playmaker, but even my untrained eye saw him run into blocks and neutralize himself. And beyond him and Ford the LB’s aren’t even mediocre.

Point being that yes, we’re more talented at more positions than we’ve been in over a decade. But it’s silly to expect us to go from where we’ve been to where Georgia, Ohio State and Michigan are now….even UM and UGA lurked around the periphery of “elite” a few years before actually getting there.
  • Like 1

I just rewatched the 2nd half.  The only real issue I had with a Sark play call was the 3rd and 3 right before the long FG.   That was the drive we ran 8 straight times.  Once we got to 3rd and 3, they had 9 in the damn box.  Single coverage outside.   If we make an aggressive play call there and convert we put the game away.  Instead we ran right into it.

The biggest problem was the defense.   Hell if we just don't give up that long ass Savion pass (with the hurdle at the end) that gave them life up 20 we almost certainly win comfortably.  Kitan Crawford was terrible on that play.   Defense absolutely has to have some killer instinct in those situations.   We had so many chances on D to put that game away and couldn't do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, USNALonghorn said:

The question there is, is it Sark or is it Ewers?  I suppose if JT and JWhitt are the number 1 targets, or not, that's on Sark.

• Hook 'Em 1

Quinn forced the ball to Worthy a few times in that game where others had favorable matchups. 

He also was clearly working through some pain on the sidelines. I think Sark did the right thing by taking as much air out of the ball as early as he did. The defense was not supposed to be giving up chunk yardage and quick scores like they did. TCU can put up yards, but they've struggled to actually score for much of the year. The strategy made sense, but the guys just didn't play sound ball.

• Hook 'Em 6

53 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

The closer we get to success, the more we fuck up.  

Me trying to get laid for the first time in high school and college.

Somehow like this team, I came out with a W despite all my efforts. 

Thank god for alcohol and daddy issues.

And much like this team, it was with whatever the girl equivalent of a 4-5 football team is.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1