Texas opens as a 7 point favorite @ Iowa State

TexasMan

Tech isn't beating this team in DKR. If we drop a game and fuck this season up in Texas fashion it will be this one. 

Texas -7 seems like a lot. I like us to get to 10-1 in another close one. 

As much as Quinn still makes me want to smash my head through a panel of freshly laid sheetrock I think this is the exact type of game he was made for. 

Just show up and play football, Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Does a blizzard really help Iowa State?

The biggest strength of this Texas team is stopping the run. 

The prevailing thought among ISU fans was our best chance to win involved Texas being out of the Big 12 race and god awful weather so that your team would throw in the towel from Jump Street.

Since of neither of those are likely to come to fruition (one for sure isn't), it really doesn't matter now.  Our chance to victory is going to ride on whether or not we can force turnovers and then score off of them.  If Texas plays a clean game, they'll cover.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The two offenses that had a good bit of success against Iowa State were Kansas and OU. They spread them out and threw all day on them. 

This might be a game where you need to go empty more and get Cook involved. 

We didn't have a healthy secondary in either the KU or OU games.  Malik Verdon missed OU and Jeremiah Cooper missed KU.  Verdon's healthy and playing great, Cooper is possible to be back for Saturday, but if he's not, Ewers is going to pick on his backups all day.

9 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

3 best defenses ISU probably faced are: Iowa, OU, and Ohio. 

Iowa (13 pts), OU (20 pts),Ohio (7 pts)

Texas pass defense needs to get it's shit together.   Hoping to see 4qtrs of good football from Horns in Ames -- time for a solid Texas win.  🤘

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We didn't have a healthy secondary in either the KU or OU games.  Malik Verdon missed OU and Jeremiah Cooper missed KU.  Verdon's healthy and playing great, Cooper is possible to be back for Saturday, but if he's not, Ewers is going to pick on his backups all day.

FUCK YOU! This week only though!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

FUCK YOU! This week only though!

Well, fuck you too, thank you very much!

For real though, I just want to see us give you a 4 quarter game.  We're stupid young and really improving, but for the first time in a long time it seems like Texas is focused enough to make good on it's talent.  We're much better than Cougar High and TCU, but we're not as good as K State.  I'm just keeping my expectations reasonable.

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

Well, fuck you too, thank you very much!

For real though, I just want to see us give you a 4 quarter game.  We're stupid young and really improving, but for the first time in a long time it seems like Texas is focused enough to make good on it's talent.  We're much better than Cougar High and TCU, but we're not as good as K State.  I'm just keeping my expectations reasonable.

Don't worry brother, we'll get up by 20 and you will be right there with a late surge. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

To me this game is on the defense.   I haven't seen a lot of Iowa State football but certainly haven't seen much I would consider "dynamic" on offense.  They don't have top end talent like Breece Hall or Xavier Hutchison. This is a game where the defense should dominate.   But obviously against OU (which had more offensive talent) but also 2nd half against both UH and TCU our defense was absolute garbage.  Our secondary can't cover and safeties take terrible angles, LB's get lost, DE's do nothing and backup DT's get pushed around.  This is a game we need our defense to step up.

30 minutes ago, Skipper said:

To me this game is on the defense.   I haven't seen a lot of Iowa State football but certainly haven't seen much I would consider "dynamic" on offense.  They don't have top end talent like Breece Hall or Xavier Hutchison. This is a game where the defense should dominate.   But obviously against OU (which had more offensive talent) but also 2nd half against both UH and TCU our defense was absolute garbage.  Our secondary can't cover and safeties take terrible angles, LB's get lost, DE's do nothing and backup DT's get pushed around.  This is a game we need our defense to step up.

I think a couple of the younger guys are going to be on the Hall/Hutchinson level by the time they leave.  Abu Sama (true frosh RB) and Jayden Higgins (JUCO WR who reminds me a LOT of Hutchinson) are both NFL guys I suspect.  Sama absolutely embarrassed BYU on Saturday.  TE Ben Brahmer has a lot of Charlie Kolar in his game too.  Rocco Becht (QB) is kind of a poor man's Purdy.  He's a little more patient and more willing to just take the easy play underneath and less likely to try and make something crazy happen than Purdy was.  He has a few pick 6s, but they've all been on timing routes where him and the receiver were on different pages, as opposed to forcing an unlikely ball into tight coverage.

This team reminds me a lot of the one Purdy's freshman year, without a fully formed NFL guy in the backfield like David Montgomery.  If you recall, Texas beat that squad relatively comfortably (Montgomery was suspended for the first half for responding to a cheap shot from a Baylor player the week before).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Agree. I think ISU is going to follow the Texas script on defense. Take away the explosive play, make Sark be patient, and execute in the red zone. I think this one could be low scoring. 

19 hours ago, ATXbronco said:

Is there a CFP-as-a-destination thread?  Couldn't find one to post this in.

Remaining schedule for teams ranked ahead of us in the CFP rankings

image.png.786f379b9d423ebd159ca1084c5e1e21.png

I'm too lazy to look into who the possible conference championship matchups might be for each team

Damn.

Oregon State with the hardest last two games in college football it seems.

But if they win'em both, they're in the Pac12 championship game.

I have a bad feeling about this game, especially with who I consider the heart and soul of this offense out for the season.  JW has to become a part of this offense again.  He is such a weapon.  Where are the jet sweep type plays to him?  He’s can also make tough contested catches.  Showing an empty set and motioning him to the backfield as a RB could cause problems for defenses as well.  He’s a guy who can get tough yards.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, chainsaw said:

AD Mitchell is out?

Spoken like someone who probably played WR in high school.  Kidding, a little.  I love me some AD, but Brooks was the consistent force on this offense, willing to stick his nose in there to get tough yards, block, etc. Had really become a leader.  We are going to miss him.  But, next man up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 point favorite? Okay Vegas what do y'all know that we don't? We will get out to an early big lead and then win by 3 and like it!

They know Iowa State isn’t that good and set the line where it is because of Texas’s tendency to opponents back in games, not in spite of it.

Pretty sure Vegas and their models and the people who make the lines don’t give a crap about blown leads or how you arrive at the final score. They are in the business of making money and nothing else.

If anything, they love it when people start betting based on a trend that may not even carry over in a week to week sport with a brand new opponent (“omg Texas just beat Houston by 7 and now they are playing against BYU with a backup QB, how can I not take BYU +20!”)

Edited by Hookem2147

22 hours ago, Skipper said:

The Iowa St offensive scheme is a better match to our defensive strengths as well.