Week 12, 2023; Texas Tech at Texas

Wulaw Horn

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Part of me thinks this is going to be the game where we put it all together. 

• Clinch a spot in the Big 12 championship
  • Keep CFP hopes alive and a statement game against a common opponent with Oregon
  • Senior Night
  • Last Big 12 regular season game for Texas ever
  • Revenge for 2022 game against Tech and Yormark's remarks earlier in the year
  • Chance to finish regular season 11-1

Texas is going to romp by 3 TDs. 

I've heard at least one Surly poster say that Iowa State was that game, where we played a complete game.

Edited by Rimbo

I'm more concerned with the officiating than I am with Tech.  We saw them take 14 points off the board in Ames on Saturday.  Sweat and Murphy will be tackled if they get close to the QB without a holding call.  Their DB's will not be called for any DPI's, so watch for bogus penalties should X or Mitchell get open.  This game will be a battle, IMO.

• Rage+1 3

2 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I've heard at least one Surly poster say that Iowa State was that game, where we played a complete game.

I mean, in the context of the last few weeks, yes. Much more of a complete game than UH, KSU, TCU. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Kittley wants an excuse to turn to the pass. There was an alleged come to Jesus meeting after the KSU game and he was given the mandate to impose the run. 
I expect Texas to shut down the run completely. Kittley will see the eye candy of the intermediate passing game and go for that. He doesn't have the horses for it. Texas doesn't seem to care a whole lot about giving up 300 yards passing if they can get to the QB and shut down the run. Tech has nothing at WR that is worrying. The QB is a below average P5 QB. The OL is mediocre. 
If this game doesn't look a lot like BYU or better, I'll be surprised.

Not that he needs it as it's very obvious where our strengths and weaknesses are on D, but I'm sure he's getting advice from cousin Kendal and his daddy rapey Art. I don't think he has the personnel to make that help relevant, but it is interesting.

10 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

in fact the more I read your post the more detached from reality it gets

Texas plays Thompson, Taafe, Crawford, Williams, and Catalon at safety. CB we see Brooks, Watts, Holmes, and Muhammad. In any given game Texas is rotating 8 or more players. Depth isnt the issue. Talent at safety is an issue. Speed overall is an issue. 

That reminds me, anyone heard anything on Catalon? 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Maybe not a complete game, but I felt like Sark was much more aggressive in the play-calling versus mid-season games like Houston and BYU. So many great schemed routes and calls, from Whit's 2pt conversion to Helm's drag route. 

Feels like Sark was conservative in dipping into his playbook earlier in the year, doing just enough to win without committing too much to tape. Now he's ramping up his bag of tricks.

Edited by BigBenBamboozle

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It sounds like Hutchings is unlikely to me. "Hoping he can brace it and play next week" doesn't feel like a lot of confidence he can go on a short week. I haven't seen an update on Demerson. 

"Hoping he can brace it!!"  So he's had an ACL tear before and they want to risk the guys career so they can try to beat Texas? Sounds pretty disgusting to me. I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering who they are.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Hard Times said:

"Hoping he can brace it!!"  So he's had an ACL tear before and they want to risk the guys career so they can try to beat Texas? Sounds pretty disgusting to me. I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering who they are.

Absolutely not surprised. This is their Super Bowl, just like it was for every other team on our schedule.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

That's if you believe coaches and injury reports. 

That McGuire injury report screams bullshit. I would be very surprised if all those players above are playing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Absolutely not surprised. This is their Super Bowl, just like it was for every other team on our schedule.

This game alone can make their entire season. They might even throw Shough out there to kamikaze Quinn late after the whistle.

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You spend a lot of time each week, and during the offseason, shitting yourself over all of the ways Texas will lose and fail to live up to standards. It seems like hard fucking work, so, good for you, I guess. 

I don’t think it takes these posters a whole lot of time. Pretty sure they have templates that they can copy/paste and just change out opponent team names because I think I’ve read the same shit on everyone one of these threads 

• Hook 'Em 1

You spend a lot of time each week, and during the offseason, shitting yourself over all of the ways Texas will lose and fail to live up to standards. It seems like hard fucking work, so, good for you, I guess. 

Since Ewers got hurt my positions have basically boiled down to:

BYU: “Don’t care that they are 5-2 and Texas has a backup, BYU sucks and Texas will roll.”

KSU: “Probably too much to ask of a shaky new QB to beat a pretty good team.” - which was dead wrong and then dead right and then wrong again when KSU fumbled the bag.

TCU: “TCU will score, Texas will be in trouble with Murphy, fine with Ewers.”

ISU: “These guys are not that good and Texas will be fine.”

And now Tech: “Tech is a little better than their record indicates at face value and a two TD spread seems out of whack for a team with a penchant for playing close games.”

Hardly picking Texas to lose. I do spend too much time on here. Really any time on a CFB message board is too much. You had me in the first half, not gonna lie.
It really is amazing.  And it's always thoughful and the like. It's not like the mouth breathers that are like Hurr Durrr Quinn is an UFA if he goes out but he needs to get the fuck out of here b/c he's terrible and MM is awesome variety of paint chip eating motherfucker in our fanbase.  Which, good god I checked the Ewers thread after ISU and it was grim how fucking stupid some of the fanbase is.  But year, exhausting work for sure being that much of a coward.  

Coward? lol I’m not about to line up and play. There are no personal consequences for me (okay I did lose $50 taking Texas ML, ISU + 7.5, and the 47.5 over) if Texas wins or loses. My take means nothing.

As an aside, if that’s a mainstream line of thinking on ISU then that’s terrifying.
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

I disagree... This is tech's Superbowl

Just remember on the same night Yormark told tech fans that we got Texas out of the B12 a year early... and told Joey to take care of business in Austin on Thanksgiving,  McGuire also trash talked Texas.

McGuire, without naming the schools, referred to OU and UT as "these so-called bluebloods — and I really question that. One of them's really good in Olympic sports."

McGuire credited Yormark with thinking outside the box and stabilizing the Big 12.

"I know he has a plan to close the gap," McGuire said, "but part of my job is to close it even faster. He said it: Part of my job is to make that team in burnt orange — if that's really a color — if that team leaves, then make sure that they're going to a conference that they can no longer compete in this conference with teams that are in this conference."

"There is an opportunity to put the Red Raiders at the forefront of this conference," McGuire said, "and I don't want to wait 'til 2024 when it's a new conference. It's more important to do it in 2023 when those old two are still here so they can understand exactly who runs the Big 12."

You can ask that moronic ISU lineman how talking shit worked out for them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Since Ewers got hurt my positions have basically boiled down to:

BYU: “Don’t care that they are 5-2 and Texas has a backup, BYU sucks and Texas will roll.”

KSU: “Probably too much to ask of a shaky new QB to beat a pretty good team.” - which was dead wrong and then dead right and then wrong again when KSU fumbled the bag.

TCU: “TCU will score, Texas will be in trouble with Murphy, fine with Ewers.”

ISU: “These guys are not that good and Texas will be fine.”

And now Tech: “Tech is a little better than their record indicates at face value and a two TD spread seems out of whack for a team with a penchant for playing close games.”

Hardly picking Texas to lose. I do spend too much time on here. Really any time on a CFB message board is too much. You had me in the first half, not gonna lie.

Coward? lol I’m not about to line up and play. There are no personal consequences for me (okay I did lose $50 taking Texas ML, ISU + 7.5, and the 47.5 over) if Texas wins or loses. My take means nothing.

As an aside, if that’s a mainstream line of thinking on ISU then that’s terrifying.

At this point I just write down 300 yards passing for the opponent, so any double digit spread seems suspect. 

• Rage+1 1

Yep, we are picking our own poison and living with wide open slant and crossing routes instead of wide open deep shots.  When the other teams receivers are faster than most of the guys covering them, they're gonna get open a lot.

Edited by kevwun

23 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

If we give up 300 passing yards to Tech our secondary is pretty bad. 

Morton has not thrown for 300+ yards in 5 starts this year. 

This fails to mention the fact that they've been rushing for over 150+ yards in those games as well. If we hold them to 50 yards rushing and they throw for 300, that's a win.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Atticus said:

This fails to mention the fact that they've been rushing for over 150+ yards in those games as well. If we hold them to 50 yards rushing and they throw for 300, that's a win.

Before the KSU game, I said if Texas controls the KSU run game it will be an easy win.. 30 pts later and a goal line stand in OT, I no longer take that for granted. I still think Texas wins, but they will force me into having 1-2 extra drinks than necessary

Edited by Codaxx

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Before the KSU game, I said if Texas controls the KSU run game it will be an easy win.. 30 pts later and a goal line stand in OT, I no longer take that for granted. 

Yeah but that game wasn't really an indictment of pass defense. Although K-State did torch us late in the game. 

It was all the turnovers by Maalik and the blocked punt which led to short fields for K-State. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah but that game wasn't really an indictment of pass defense. Although K-State did torch us late in the game. 

It was all the turnovers by Maalik and the blocked punt which led to short fields for K-State. 

I know. Texas has given up 625 yards passing on 68 attempts for 9.2 yards per the last 2 weeks. I am just preparing myself for tighter game than necessary

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Before the KSU game, I said if Texas controls the KSU run game it will be an easy win.. 30 pts later and a goal line stand in OT, I no longer take that for granted. I still think Texas wins, but they will force me into having 1-2 extra drinks than necessary

As long as our guys tackle, we'll be fine. Tech does more side to side stuff like OU. I'm sure they'll challenge us deep at some point, but Morton isn't great with the deep ball. 

Donovan Smith would worry me more than this guy. His legs and ability to get hot would be a problem with Tech's OL.

Behren Morton and Josh Hoover are at similar points in their development, Hoover has a better arm, Morton is more athletic.

7 minutes ago, Atticus said:

As long as our guys tackle, we'll be fine. Tech does more side to side stuff like OU. I'm sure they'll challenge us deep at some point, but Morton isn't great with the deep ball. 

Donovan Smith would worry me more than this guy. His legs and ability to get hot would be a problem with Tech's OL.

Behren Morton and Josh Hoover are at similar points in their development, Hoover has a better arm, Morton is more athletic.

Hoover has better weapons too at WR. Williams for sure and maybe Richardson are better than any WR than Tech has. 

I actually think we've faced some pretty good WRs in the last 2 weeks between Savion Williams, Higgins, and Noel. If TCU and Iowa State just had more consistent QB play those guys would be producing better numbers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• Pancho locked this topic
  • Pancho unlocked this topic