Game Week 13, 2023: Texas v OSU championship edition

Wulaw Horn

Wow, doing the parlay every week as an emotional hedge is brilliant.  Glad at least you’re making some lemonade out of all this.  What has the payoff been like?

We may miss out on the CFP this year, but you’re right in that 4 events still remain that conceivably could put Texas in.  And I don’t think there’s ever been a ccg week before that didn’t have at least one crazy upset.  For it to not happen again this week would be another first in an already low probability series of firsts.  

We just need to take care of our business, snatch the big 12 crown, and promptly shove it up yormark’s ass on our way out the door. Whether we’re in the CFP or cotton bowl doesn’t make a shit.  This is a great team and it has been an awesome ride.  The future is bright.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Xcalibur said:

Wow, doing the parlay every week as an emotional hedge is brilliant.  Glad at least you’re making some lemonade out of all this.  What has the payoff been like?

We may miss out on the CFP this year, but you’re right in that 4 events still remain that conceivably could put Texas in.  And I don’t think there’s ever been a ccg week before that didn’t have at least one crazy upset.  For it to not happen again this week would be another first in an already low probability series of firsts.  

We just need to take care of our business, snatch the big 12 crown, and promptly shove it up yormark’s ass on our way out the door. Whether we’re in the CFP or cotton bowl doesn’t make a shit.  This is a great team and it has been an awesome ride.  The future is bright.

Started at 20 and it’s been more or less 3X every week. Sitting around 400. 

Even mixed in big 12 the last 2 weeks and hit both those. Nothing has happened for us. 

1 hour ago, Xcalibur said:

That typically happened in the Big12 ccg. Let's not do that.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It looks for all the world like we are going to go 12-2 in the first year ever that we have 4 “better” conference champs and the last year ever for only 4 playoff teams. 

12-1

13-1 when we crush whoever the fuck in the "We Shoulda Been In The CFP" bowl.

But we can still get to 14-1 dammit.

Believe Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

OkSt is better than they played against BYU. 

BYU is bad against the run, but they didn't respect OkSt's passing game enough to take more people out of the box. BYU won the line of scrimmage against them too, which is a bad bad omen for them against us. 

Bowman might be the least mobile QB we've faced this year. I think Slovis moves better. OkSt has a weaker OL as well. I'm not sure how he hasn't taken more sacks.

They'll need to hit multiple big shots throwing the ball for this one to stay close unless we really step all over our dicks like we tried to do early against Tech.

• Hook 'Em 2

Not gonna argue semantics. UCF with Plumlee isn't that bad. The conditions were poor, and they didn't run Ollie into the ground. They need Ollie going wild for them to be competitive offensively.

Defensively, my main concern would be their defensive front getting pressure on Quinn.

I think we could run the ball 66% of the time and give Quinn wide open throws 33% of the time and win this game by 20+

• Drool 1

3 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Not gonna argue semantics. UCF with Plumlee isn't that bad. The conditions were poor, and they didn't run Ollie into the ground. They need Ollie going wild for them to be competitive offensively.

Defensively, my main concern would be their defensive front getting pressure on Quinn.

I think we could run the ball 66% of the time and give Quinn wide open throws 33% of the time and win this game by 20+

They were a couple plays away from being 0-3 against a 6-6, 4-8, and 5-7 team the last 3 weeks. There's really no way to spin it. Oklahoma State has been fucking awful for about a month. 

But I will agree that the Oklahoma and K-State games show that Oklahoma State has the ability to at least play at an above average level. 

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

it was damn close last night

I know.  Which was gutting.  4/1 on own 27.  another game up 12-0 with a terrible backup QB for the other team.  4th and goal from the 31 with basically no time left.  And we went 0-3.  Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

• Rage+1 1

Louisville will get the job done. Rodemaker is bad bad.

It would have been more reassuring if Florida won, but I'm glad they aren't going to a bowl game for recruiting reasons.

I could see Bama beating Georgia too. The first is more of a guarantee if it happens though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Louisville will get the job done. Rodemaker is bad bad.

It would have been more reassuring if Florida won, but I'm glad they aren't going to a bowl game for recruiting reasons.

I could see Bama beating Georgia too. The first is more of a guarantee if it happens though. 

there is one more wildcard i haven't seen anyone dare to write in words.....

i will spoil it for those that want to guess first

Spoiler

tuesday night:

1 dawg

2 meatchicken

3 washington

4 florida state

5 bama

6 texas

7 oregon

8 jort

9 louisville

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Hide contents

tuesday night:

1 dawg

2 meatchicken

3 washington

4 florida state

5 bama

6 texas

7 oregon

8 jort

9 louisville

I can't fathom Bama moving up after needing a miracle to escape the iron bowl.  But, that would be just about perfect for us if that's where the rankings sit on Tuesday night (won't be). 

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

I can't fathom Bama moving up after needing a miracle to escape the iron bowl.  But, that would be just about perfect for us if that's where the rankings sit on Tuesday night (won't be). 

it's the perfect time to hide the move and will drive the aggy BOMC crowd absolutely insane

therefore, i predict it will happen

17 minutes ago, Atticus said:

USC against Utah

Clemson against Duke?

Man I forgot about Clemson-Duke lol. I would bet Clemson is at least one if not both of those losses.

Not sure how much ND was favored over Louisville, that was pretty early in the year and could have met the criteria.

EDIT: Interesting that USC-Utah qualifies. I am surprised they were favored by so much, feel like the book was written on USC by then and everyone knew that would be a tossup. Didn't realize they were such heavy favorites.

Edited by gmr548

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Man I forgot about Clemson-Duke lol. I would bet Clemson is at least one if not both of those losses.

Not sure how much ND was favored over Louisville, that was pretty early in the year and could have met the criteria.

EDIT: Interesting that USC-Utah qualifies. I am surprised they were favored by so much, feel like the book was written on USC by then and everyone knew that would be a tossup. Didn't realize they were such heavy favorites.

Utah sucks. Everyone knew it. They just didn’t realize yet how much USC also sucked. 

3 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Team needs to be mentally ready for a heavy dose of Gordon, Gundy doing what BYU tried to do to him (onsides kicks, fake punts, etc) and refs to take some points off the board.

Hope we get a heavy dose of Gordon, that will just lead to wasted plays and possessions for them.  As for the other stuff it’s a high variance play. Might help us win my 50 which is obviously what we want from a playoff style points perspective.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ousux said:

I'm not a betting man, but anyone who put some real money on Okie Lite making it to the CCG before the season started just got a nice little Christmas bonus. It's been a crazy year in CFB, but I'm here for it.

We were picked to finish anywhere between 5th and 9th.  Most Pokes I’ve talked to feel like we are playing with house money at this point…so throw it all against the wall, and see what sticks.  Loose Gundy can be DangerGundy, however…

Seems to me that Gordon has been playing really banged up the last few games, which we all knew was coming.  Honestly Bowman has played that way a bit too.  As always, our lack of a 2-deep full of 4/5 star talent hurts unless everything goes smoothly.  Always been jealous of y’all’s recruiting, even if you didn’t always make the most of it. 

Edited by Homercles
  • Hook 'Em 1

PSA:  Looks like OSU must have returned a bunch of tickets because there are a bunch of "non resale" tickets released today.  Also PSA, I think they significantly mispriced face for this.  $190 for uppers, $520 for 200 club level.  Those would have sold out for OU but not for this matchup.  

8 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Hide contents

tuesday night:

1 dawg

2 meatchicken

3 washington

4 florida state

5 bama

6 texas

7 oregon

8 jort

9 louisville

Louisville lost this week. They won’t move up. 

We were picked to finish anywhere between 5th and 9th.  Most Pokes I’ve talked to feel like we are playing with house money at this point…so throw it all against the wall, and see what sticks.  Loose Gundy can be DangerGundy, however…
Seems to me that Gordon has been playing really banged up the last few games, which we all knew was coming.  Honestly Bowman has played that way a bit too.  As always, our lack of a 2-deep full of 4/5 star talent hurts unless everything goes smoothly.  Always been jealous of y’all’s recruiting, even if you didn’t always make the most of it. 

Presley won the Houston game for us, and Gordon just hasn’t looked the same since he was basically a no show at UCF. Still always dangerous but nowhere as explosive as before.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Did he hurt his ankle at some point?

Yeah, he’s been somewhat banged up the last couple of games. He’ll show a limp after one play then seem normal the next but he still continues to produce. Obviously much tougher than I am. Wish we had a prep week before the CCG week.

From what I've seen of Gordon (whihc hasn't been a ton) he's a different type of runner than we've faced.   Has great vision and elite cut back ability.  He's not going to just run straight into the line and rely on contact balance to gain yards like Tahj Brooks.  Gap assignment from our younger players will be important.   Can't allow Bowman to get in any kind of a rhythm or get comfortable.  He seems like the type of QB that can get hot if he's comfortable but will turn it over if behind the chains and under pressure.    On offense the yards will be there to be had all over the place.  Ewers just needs to be patient and not make mistakes.  He played probably his worst game of his career last year against these guys (well, either them or against TCU).   This is a great matchup for us on paper.  Of course so was Auburn for Bama last week. And I'm sure both KSU and OU thought the same thing when they matched up.   Hopefully the team is able to keep the same focus and intensity they played with the last 6 quarters and ignore all the outside playoff noise that will be dominating media and social media discussion this week.  

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That was the game that he was clearly hurt and wearing the glove?

I remember some speculation he was hurt.  I also remember he constantly tried to force the ball to Worthy in double coverage while also missing every deep shot horribly.   I also seem to recall swirling winds that fucked with us.  But it was just awful across the board down the stretch as we couldn't run for shit in the 2nd half either.  Just pulled box score, and yeah, we had 3 second half points.  Ewers was 19-49 for 319, 2 TD's and 3INT's.  We were 3/17 on 3rd down and 0/2 on 4th.  Also, of course, 14 penalties for 119 (and zero for OSU).  Obviously we can fully expect similar officiating if not somehow worse.   I don't think Gundy is dumb enough (and will make sure his players aren't dumb enough) to give us bulletin board material.  But hopefully that loss still stings.

That was the game that he was clearly hurt and wearing the glove?

I think more than anything it was the game Sark kept calling slow developing deep shots with a QB that couldn’t hit them, in 20 mph winds in that weirdly oriented stadium at that.

• Pancho locked this topic