2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

Did the Harbaugh to NFL/Kelly to UM rumors die down? Is any coach going to make a move from a comfortable situation to LSU until that is resolved (presumably over the next 2 weeks)?

I think Harbough will be sought after by 3-5 NFL teams. Would be shocked if he stays at Michigan.  

After the team just went 12-2, and has recruited DB’s well, the thought of Joseph being hired by LSU at first glance seems suboptimal. But, DB performance the last few years still hasn’t reached its full potential given the talent on the team, IMO, with the exception of Barron. So, hard to have a strong opinion on it. 

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

After the team just went 12-2, and has recruited DB’s well, the thought of Joseph being hired by LSU at first glance seems suboptimal. But, DB performance the last few years still hasn’t reached its full potential given the talent on the team, IMO, with the exception of Barron. So, hard to have a strong opinion on it. 

It's easy to. Every coach should be a good recruiter and developer.   One of the two isn't enough.

I don't know - seems exactly the place you'd want Joseph to end up.  His Louisiana recruiting isn't going to be as big a deal at LSU if only because they are going to get their share of Louisiana prospects regardless.

Also:
Is this where we start the Jimmy Lake speculation/rumors?

Just been enjoying poaching some of the better defenders out of the state in recent years. That gets harder in theory. Like I said, still agree it’d be a plus regardless.

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

has there ever been any actual clarity on the PK/Jimmy Lake stuff?

There were numerous issues at UW while Lake was the HC, including him having a physical altercation with a player that played a role in his firing. I get confused as to why people are so high on him and think he'd get through compliance. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

I'm shocked 9.95ers haven't already started.

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

has there ever been any actual clarity on the PK/Jimmy Lake stuff?

I would be all for exchanging Joseph for Lake.

That being said 1. Why would he walk from a AHC gig in the NFL with the Rams and 2. How does his exit at UW and the issues tied to it square with both the NCAA or UT compliance

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Terry is a good recruiter but he's not some recruiting witch. DB development has been below average. 

I have a pretty strong opinion on it. Texas would likely upgrade if LSU took Terry. 

• Hook 'Em 6

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Terry is a good recruiter but he's not some recruiting witch. DB development has been below average. 

I have a pretty strong opinion on it. Texas would likely upgrade if LSU took Terry. 

I’m fairly certain that the same complaints we currently have are complaints that ND and Aggies had about DB play with Joseph 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There were numerous issues at UW while Lake was the HC, including him having a physical altercation with a player that played a role in his firing. I get confused as to why people are so high on him and think he'd get through compliance. 

i am aware of those, but i was talking about the whole "PK was ok with stepping back to keep Jimmy Lake who he had worked with forever" stuff.

Lake is an AHC with the Rams. he has basically no reason to ever return to CFB as long as the NFL is an option, the stories about him being fired will come out eventually but yeah - my understanding is that there is a lot of behind the curtain stuff that happened.

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Your coaching search for DB sucks. You didn’t mention Akina. 

I have personally moved on from a guy who is going to be 68 years old next season and is living the semi-retired life in Arizona, but I know many others haven’t.

• Like 1

If you need specific DB coach(es) or assistants to make your defense work, you kinda suck as a coordinator.

I acknowledge the fact that being familiar with one another is helpful and can help streamline some things, but there are only so many things you can do on the defensive side of the football. A DB coach should be able to teach any type of coverage there is. There aren’t endless amounts of them. Pretty much any DL coach should be able to work in any type of front.

We aren’t running the 3 high safety defense here. This isn’t a complex system. There is way more variance and directions one can go offensively that make continuity and familiarity more important. Defensively, you should be able to make shit work if you are a good coach or coordinator.

I am not sympathetic at all to the “well this poor DC didn’t get to hand pick all of his assistants” excuse. That is garbage.

Edited by Hookem2147

26 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

I would be all for exchanging Joseph for Lake.

That being said 1. Why would he walk from a AHC gig in the NFL with the Rams and 2. How does his exit at UW and the issues tied to it square with both the NCAA or UT compliance

Do we even know if Lake and Kwiatkowski get along? There has always been a lot of disagreement over which of them was responsible for UW's good defenses. Neither may have any desire to work together again.

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

i am aware of those, but i was talking about the whole "PK was ok with stepping back to keep Jimmy Lake who he had worked with forever" stuff.

Lake is an AHC with the Rams. he has basically no reason to ever return to CFB as long as the NFL is an option, the stories about him being fired will come out eventually but yeah - my understanding is that there is a lot of behind the curtain stuff that happened.

I'm curious how real that job with the Rams is.  Lake was fired without cause and is being paid his buyout (less any money he is being paid as AHC with the Rams).  Feels like one of those jobs coaches take when they want to collect their buyout but have to fulfill the clause in the contract that requires them to look for work.

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t know if he would get through compliance. 

people are high on him though cause he is a damn good DB coach and put a ton of guys in the league and is in the league now coaching. PK was at his best with Lake training the DBs. People don’t like the coaching our secondary receives so they want the last guy who worked well with PK SCHEME WISE. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Terry has developed a lot of good safeties at his previous stops but for some reason we hired him as a CB coach with Gideon at S. Ideally he'd move to safety coach and we hire a CB coach instead of Gideon, but that all seems unlikely

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

If you need specific DB coach(es) or assistants to make your defense work, you kinda suck as a coordinator.

I acknowledge the fact that being familiar with one another is helpful and can help streamline some things, but there are only so many things you can do on the defensive side of the football. A DB coach should be able to teach any type of coverage there is. There aren’t endless amounts of them. Pretty much any DL coach should be able to work in any type of front.

We aren’t running the 3 high safety defense here. This isn’t a complex system. There is way more variance and directions one can go offensively that make continuity and familiarity more important. Defensively, you should be able to make shit work if you are a good coach or coordinator.

I am not sympathetic at all to the “well this poor DC didn’t get to hand pick all of his assistants” excuse. That is garbage.

What about the complexity of turning your head when the ball arrives and sticking your arm up between the receiver and his hands? Apparently that is extremely hard to coach. 

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

What about the complexity of turning your head when the ball arrives and sticking your arm up between the receiver and his hands? Apparently that is extremely hard to coach. 

Easier said than done, especially when you constantly find yourself a step or two behind the receiver.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Seems like fantasy, but sure, if you can get that dude, get him.

Other guys I like for various reasons:

-Mike Reed (Clemson) - He's had multiple guys drafted, he's been recruited by other programs every year and stays with Dabo, so it's probably nearly impossible to get him.

-Evan Cooper (Nebraska) - Young and has coached under an excellent defensive coach. Knows Texas and the area. Probably a second tier kind of guy, but I like guys that have learned and been retained under smart defensive coaches.

-Aazaar Abdul-Rahim (BC) - This might be my favorite. He's had CBs and DBs win some form of All Conference almost every season he's coached. He pupiled inside of the Saban machine for two years and then cut his teeth coaching at Maryland. The dude can recruit lights out. Hafley has done everything he can to fend off suitors by promoting the dude 2 or 3 times. He can recruit all over, but east coast and southeast for sure.

I think we will really will see what Texas thinks of Gideon at this point.

I assume you aren't getting rid of him but you have the Co DC title, LB coach + the Defensive Passing Game Coordinator title (which is a bullshit title) and "Secondary" coach jobs out there. Gideon is just the "safeties" coach at this point, making it a really good time, if you want to, to reshuffle that defensive grouping. that's without considering whatever happens with Bo Davis.

it's an opportunity to re-allocate ~$1.9m in salary between Choate/Joseph/Gideon which isn't chump change.

image.png.151bc95ccc26b07edf0050f2d3dae7ae.png

image.png.1b209b259f887aca37dcab75d7852aee.png

assuming you see Choice get a very, very real bump salary wise this offseason + a new deal.

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

I think we will really will see what Texas thinks of Gideon at this point.

I assume you aren't getting rid of him but you have the Co DC title, LB coach + the Defensive Passing Game Coordinator title (which is a bullshit title) and "Secondary" coach jobs out there. Gideon is just the "safeties" coach at this point, making it a really good time, if you want to, to reshuffle that defensive grouping. that's without considering whatever happens with Bo Davis.

it's an opportunity to re-allocate ~$1.9m in salary between Choate/Joseph/Gideon which isn't chump change.

image.png.151bc95ccc26b07edf0050f2d3dae7ae.png

image.png.1b209b259f887aca37dcab75d7852aee.png

assuming you see Choice get a very, very real bump salary wise this offseason + a new deal.

I think the assistant pool will be a bit larger so idk how long they can go off 1.9

15 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Head coaches love to think football is some unknowable mystery only their kinesiology degrees can unlock, but it sure seems like the vast majority of hires that make fans say WTF flame out a lot faster than the ones that excite the fans. I'm just as sad to see Roof leave as I was happy when he was hired. 

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

If we do lose Terry my dream scenario is Steven Clinkscale from Michigan. Maybe if Harbaugh bolts for the NFL he becomes poachable. 

His DBs have been good everywhere he's been (Michigan, Kentucky, and Cincinnati). 

Clinkscale is getting 850k from Michigan. He signed a three year contract in March, 2022.

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think Harbough will be sought after by 3-5 NFL teams. Would be shocked if he stays at Michigan.  

I don't think the NCAA will give him that choice. He's going to get with a show-cause with Monday likely being his last game as a college coach.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Wasn't this the same issue he had at aggy? Recruited very well, but the results were tangibly bad?

19 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Head coaches love to think football is some unknowable mystery only their kinesiology degrees can unlock, but it sure seems like the vast majority of hires that make fans say WTF flame out a lot faster than the ones that excite the fans. I'm just as sad to see Roof leave as I was happy when he was hired. 

I hear Mike Stoops would love to move back to Norman.

• Haha 1

Coaching hasn't been good but it's also a talent problem. 
In the last 4 years, we will probably only have 1 draft pick at DB. That was a 5th rounder (Sterns) who was always injured but talented. I think talent evaluation is the bigger problem. We haven't been finding NFL caliber talent at DB. 
Our last decent secondary I can remember was with Boyd, Holton Hill, Brandon Jones, etc. All guys who have played in the NFL. 

We've had tons of DB's the past 15 or so seasons who had ups and downs as Longhorns yet went on to either have decent or really good NFL careers. I think we just need 4-5 legit NFL talent players on the field at the same time, and our recruiting is beginning to produce that. NFL DB coaches don't have some magic formula that turns chickenshit into chicken salad.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don’t know what a DB recruiting witch looks like (I would have said Corey Raymond but then Florida happened) but it appears Joseph has gotten commitments from our top CB picks.  Is there some blue chip he missed out on that would indicate weakness there?

1 hour ago, ousux said:
On 1/2/2024 at 2:26 AM, Rickylovesweed said:
Coaching hasn't been good but it's also a talent problem. 
In the last 4 years, we will probably only have 1 draft pick at DB. That was a 5th rounder (Sterns) who was always injured but talented. I think talent evaluation is the bigger problem. We haven't been finding NFL caliber talent at DB. 
Our last decent secondary I can remember was with Boyd, Holton Hill, Brandon Jones, etc. All guys who have played in the NFL. 

We've had tons of DB's the past 15 or so seasons who had ups and downs as Longhorns yet went on to either have decent or really good NFL careers. I think we just need 4-5 legit NFL talent players on the field at the same time, and our recruiting is beginning to produce that. NFL DB coaches don't have some magic formula that turns chickenshit into chicken salad.

This, and Penix is an NFL QB, UW has three NFL receivers, and Texas couldn’t get an effective pass rush all evening. 

All of those factors combined are going to leave the DBs with coverage issues. 

However, count me in as someone who would like to upgrade the CB coach position. 

Edited by MuellerHorn

17 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I don’t know what a DB recruiting witch looks like (I would have said Corey Raymond but then Florida happened) but it appears Joseph has gotten commitments from our top CB picks.  Is there some blue chip he missed out on that would indicate weakness there?

Raymond was still a recruiting witch at Florida. Development was questionable though.

Getting players like Filsaime and Mack to commit to that sorry as defense and for a coach that will be fired in a few months is all you need to know. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Or hear me out....you could not be a pussy.

10 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

You are the one triggered by my post and I'm the pussy? You have called me several other names recently, this one is new. You have anymore? Keep em coming.

Will you two witless idiots shut the fuck up. Neither one of you makes any semblance of an intelligent post

• Like 2

This, and Penix is an NFL QB, UW has three NFL receivers, and Texas couldn’t get an effective pass rush all evening. 

All of those factors combined are going to leave the DBs with coverage issues. 

However, count me in as someone who would like to upgrade the CB coach position. 
I'd be onboard as well if it's an actual upgrade...not just coaching but recruiting as well, and recruiting doesn't seem to be an issue. I'm not informed enough to know who that may be, but if that coach exists and is available, I'm in.