Florida State can fuck off

BigOrange1

I’m a little curious about the ACCs scheduling. I don’t know who was supposed to do what per preseason prognostications. UNC and Miami were to be good, but the rest I don’t know. Clemson and Duke were to be good to very good I’d think.

Unless my counting is off, FSU played bottom 5 of 6 finishers in the conference (I misstated this as all 6 previously). There were 8 of the 14 who finished .500 or better. FSU played 2 of them in the regular season. None of the top 4. I’ll highlight again Va Tech was the regular season opponent that finished highest in the conference standings - 5-3. The same Va Tech that lost to 4-8 Purdue, 6-6 Rutgers, and Marshall who went 3-5 in the Sun Belt. Those Big 10 teams tied with several others but only two teams had worse in conference records. As for Marshall they were tied for 3rd worst in conference record. One of the other two Southern Miss, an FSU non-conference opponent.

Overall, they played 5 teams with winning records. Two at 7-5. One of those had the lead until their QB got hurt. The other had a QB playing in his 2nd game.

They played two terrible teams in non-conference. So bad that game planning, physical difficulty are not a drain. It’s a virtual bye week.

One of the challenges of going undefeated is the weekly grind of opponents that present something to drain your physical and mental energy. This is a weak P5 schedule.

They trailed into the 2nd half in 5 games. They were outgained in 4 or 5, two by 100 or so yards.

There’s a bit of a crack in P5 scheduling with so many teams in the conference that you run the risk of missing playing the top teams. That happened here and I wonder if UNC was the hoped for conference championship matchup.

I’m not overly disappointed that FSU didn’t make it. I certainly understand their disappointment. They did win them all. The only time they looked good against a team with a pulse was game 1 versus LSU. Add in the Travis injury and this is why they are on the outside looking in.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I think they deserved their shot and should have been in. The committee just couldn’t bring themselves to leave out the SEC though. People were worried about Bama jumping Texas because of SEC bias. Right about the root cause, wrong about how it would manifest.

It’s not Texas who is in at the expense of FSU so I’m not losing any sleep over that but I’d be livid as a FSU fan.

Committee didn’t want to be on the hook for a NYE beat down because they were “pressured into doing the right thing”. FSUs defense is spectacular but they’d be on the field for 50 minutes of the game

It’s a shitty predicament to be in. Honestly I’m laughing either way whether FSU feels they deserve a shot only to end up like Cincinnati, Oklahoma etc or sec missing out.

Let's not forget that it was a 2 point game when FSU got bailed out by the targeting call. It was the right call, but the game with UF was neck and neck the whole way and that was also with our backup QB.

I think it was a poor call. The defenders were put in a no-win position due to the late slide.

Honestly, FSU got a little unlucky.  LSU and Clemson were supposed to be resume wins for them.  Not really the Noles fault that those teams lost multiple other games.

And I hate that they basically lost thier spot on an injury.  If they were at full strength, they pound Louisville the way we pounded Okie State, and it's Bama who's on the outside looking in.

But, the fact remains that literally no one outside of their own fanbase thinks they could get within 21 of any of the four teams ahead of them.  This is about putting the best 4 teams in, and FSU isn't one of them right now, and they don't have the resume to argue otherwise.

I feel for them, but this playoff is better and more interesting with Bama.

And this fiasco is the evidence that the expanded playoff is desperately needed.  And FSU would be the 5 getting its ass kicked by the 12.

See y'all next year, maybe....

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, ousux said:

I was talking about the players, you know...the ones who don't have any say in which teams they face and/or if those teams happen to be worth a shit when they play them? Maybe they could have mudholed everyone on their schedule, but nobody did that this year.

Just to be clear, I think the committee got it right, or as right as possible for this crazy season, and I don't feel bad for Noles fans, coaches or admin...just the players.

I certainly empathize with the players, they are massively disappointed. But they had a say in the outcome of the games. tOSU beat people by 50 with Cardale Jones, and that's what put them in. FSU limped. I think people are too fixated on the schedule and not looking at the performance.

6 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I think it was a poor call. The defenders were put in a no-win position due to the late slide.

The call sucked but it was the right call from the viewpoint that the penalty is intended to err on the side of protecting from injuries so sometimes the defense is going to get screwed.

And the QB did get hurt. Which is interesting that they pushed him back out there without doing a concussion protocol. Not enough people are talking about that.

It was just shitty luck for UF.

Edited by gatormarc

2 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

Someone here needs to summarize all the dumb shit that has happened because somebody was pissed off and irrational at/because Texas. The "Alliance" delaying the playoff expansion by 1 year only for it to blow up in their faces is just one of the most recent.

(And I'm still mad we never got HS football on the Longhorn Network.)

Wetzel of Yahoo Sports went over some of this:

Dan Wetzel article

Florida State was further impacted by the misplaced emotions of the commissioners of the Big Ten, Pac-12 and, yes, its very own ACC in the summer of 2021. Plans to expand the playoff to 12 teams before the 2023 season were nearly complete at the time. Then Texas and Oklahoma called the SEC and asked about leaving the Big 12. SEC commissioner Greg Sankey got the deal done, and his league will expand to 16 teams next season.

The other leagues began saber rattling and acting like every other league wouldn’t have done the same thing the SEC did.
They formed the so-called “Alliance,” which supposedly would create stability against SEC aggression. It was comical and ridiculous. Within a year, the Big Ten raided the Pac-12 for USC and UCLA starting in 2024. Later, it finished the league off by grabbing Oregon and Washington. The Big 12 and ACC then picked off the rest.

The ACC got played a fool. In the process, the playoff expansion was tabled until everyone calmed down. By the time the original expansion plan was finally agreed upon it was too late for this season. It'll start in 2024, with automatic bids for top conference champions. It's one year too late for Florida State.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, gatormarc said:

Let's not forget that it was a 2 point game when FSU got bailed out by the targeting call. It was the right call, but the game with UF was neck and neck the whole way and that was also with our backup QB.

Bama had to convert a 4 and goal from the 31 yd line to win against a 6-5 auburn team. Texas already beat bama in tuscaloosa.

I know this is unfathomable but maybe no SEC team played their way into the playoffs.

• Hook 'Em 5

21 minutes ago, G650 said:

I certainly empathize with the players, they are massively disappointed. But they had a say in the outcome of the games. tOSU beat people by 50 with Cardale Jones, and that's what put them in. FSU limped. I think people are too fixated on the schedule and not looking at the performance.

Alabama wasn't exactly setting the world on fire against USF, Auburn, aggy, and Arkansas. Plus they lost a game. Seems close enough that it probably would have been better to put the undefeated ACC champ into the playoffs. I get that the ACC was a dead conference walking, anyway, but it at least had a few years left.

Bama had to convert a 4 and goal from the 31 yd line to win against a 6-5 auburn team. Texas already beat bama in tuscaloosa.
I know this is unfathomable but maybe no SEC team played their way into the playoffs.

Georgia is currently almost 2 TD favorites while bama/Michigan is essentially a toss up.

Vegas showing that on paper at least these are the best 2 NYE games.

Nobody wants one of the 2 semi finals to be a massacre that we’ve seen happen far too often to the participation award winners

Cincy lost by 21
Notre dame lost by 17
Oklahoma lost by 35
Notre dame lost by 27
Washington lost by 17
Oklahoma lost by 20
Florida state lost by 39
Michigan state lost by 38

I don’t know what the stipulations were for each year…but more often than not one of the 2 NYE games are gonna suck. Last year is the only year that each game was 1 possession. And the championship was a 58 point nail biter

7 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

The nice thing about a 4 team playoff is that the regular season matters. When they expand to 12 teams next year, that won't be the case and even undefeated teams like FSU will get in.

The regular season will still definitely matter. In any normal American sport, the playoffs always holds more weight. But for whatever reason in college football, it's the opposite. Regular season is the more exciting portion and then the bowl season is a big waste of time aside from the playoff games. And it used to be just one game, the championship.

Not sure why anyone wants really good teams left out of the playoffs for the sake of a more exciting regular season.

Just now, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Alabama wasn't exactly setting the world on fire against USF, Auburn, aggy, and Arkansas. Plus they lost a game. Seems close enough that it probably would have been better to put the undefeated ACC champ into the playoffs. I get that the ACC was a dead conference walking, anyway, but it at least had a few years left.

People are also too fixated on Alabama, and not the other like 3 teams better than FSU.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Georgia is currently almost 2 TD favorites while bama/Michigan is essentially a toss up.

Vegas showing that on paper at least these are the best 2 NYE games.

Nobody wants one of the 2 semi finals to be a massacre that we’ve seen happen far too often to the participation award winners

Cincy lost by 21
Notre dame lost by 17
Oklahoma lost by 35
Notre dame lost by 27
Washington lost by 17
Oklahoma lost by 20
Florida state lost by 39
Michigan state lost by 38

I don’t know what the stipulations were for each year…but more often than not one of the 2 NYE games are gonna suck. Last year is the only year that each game was 1 possession. And the championship was a 58 point nail biter

No matter how you seed the games or who you put in them, the odds of all three games being great are very low.

1 minute ago, G650 said:

People are also too fixated on Alabama, and not the other like 3 teams better than FSU.

Pretty simple. Wash and Mich are undefeated. The consensus opinion is these teams faced tough opponents, beat them, and played their way in.

2 spots left.

tOSU and Oregon are out because they recently lost to mich and wash, respectively.

FSU, texas, georgia and bama for two spots.

Bama over georgia. That was decided Sat.

Texas over bama. That was decided in tuscaloosa.

Bama or FSUis the question.

29 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

USF was entirely a result of Alabama panicking for no fucking reason. If they play Milroe, that game is a laugher. 

20 hours ago, The Dog said:

Mother of God an FSU-Iowa game would be one of the worst things ever.

No, it would be the most amazing thing ever. Everybody would watch that game. We are fascinated by disasters. And there would be so many drinking games based upon that game that the entire nation might simultaneously blackout. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, GenXer said:

Pretty simple. Wash and Mich are undefeated. The consensus opinion is these teams faced tough opponents, beat them, and played their way in.

2 spots left.

tOSU and Oregon are out because they recently lost to mich and wash, respectively.

FSU, texas, georgia and bama for two spots.

Bama over georgia. That was decided Sat.

Texas over bama. That was decided in tuscaloosa.

Bama or FSUis the question.

It's readily apparent people want it to be that simple.

• Like 1

FSU had been playing terribly, but still winning. You cant know what their team will look like 4 weeks from now.

It really should have been easy for the committee. You take the 5 conf champions and look what they have done; not what they might do 4 weeks from now.

• 3 unbeaten conference champs? Awesome, you are in.
  • the other 2 conference champs have a 1 loss. Hmm, how do we choose who goes between the two? Oh you say they actually played head to head earlier the season? OK. That winner is in.

DONE.

• Like 1

Ah, strolls down memory lane to the 2014 season.  The feel good story of a "third string" QB leading Ohio State to a national championship in the playoffs.  If only Florida State had a shot they would have replicated that success...

Jerk that I am, I prefer to compare them to a different playoff team from that year.  Undefeated ACC Champs, Florida State.  A team that squeaked by a weak schedule, but were propped up by their "defending national champions" label.

How well did they do in the semi-final again?  59-20 ass kicking by Oregon.  Who could have forseen such a thing?

Well they were 5th in the Massey Composite that December 6th behind Alabama, Oregon, TCU and Ohio State.

Where is 2023 Florida State?  6th behind Michigan, Washington, Texas, Ohio State, and Alabama.  FEI has them 12th.  Oof.

Edited by El Hornarino
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

USF was entirely a result of Alabama panicking for no fucking reason. If they play Milroe, that game is a laugher. 

I still think Saban benched Milroe not because he was panicking but because he wanted to shut up all the idiots calling for Milroe's head.  Like, you think Milroe sucks?  Ok, fine.  Here's the other guy against lowly USF and you can see how shit we are.

My only gripe with FSU not making it in is that they got punished for shit that was out of their control.  They scheduled two P5 OOC opponents.  Both from the SEC.  Beat them both.  Normally Clemson would have been a big win.  So, in a normal year, their SOS would have been fine.  Of course, they probably would have dropped a game in that case, but that's hypotheticals.  They can't help that their QB got hurt near the end of the season.  They went out and won anyway.

Meanwhile, you've got teams like Georgia who scheduled powerhouses like UT Martin, Ball St., and UAB.  Other than us, Alabama scheduled the mighty Blue Raiders of Middle Tennessee St., South Florida, and the world beaters down at Chattanooga.  And then they strugglebeared with beating teams like Auburn and Arkansas.  

You're splitting hairs when trying to say Team X's resume is better than Team Y's or this team is better now than this other team.  FSU won on the field.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, yoladu said:

FSU had been playing terribly, but still winning. You cant know what their team will look like 4 weeks from now.

It really should have been easy for the committee. You take the 5 conf champions and look what they have done; not what they might do 4 weeks from now.

• the other 2 conference champs have a 1 loss. Hmm, how do we choose who goes between the two? Oh you say they actually played head to head earlier the season? OK. That winner is in.

DONE.

This.

It should Mich, Wash, FSU and Texas. Seeding is debatable.

I say this as an OU alumn.

I still think Saban benched Milroe not because he was panicking but because he wanted to shut up all the idiots calling for Milroe's head.  Like, you think Milroe sucks?  Ok, fine.  Here's the other guy against lowly USF and you can see how shit we are.
My only gripe with FSU not making it in is that they got punished for shit that was out of their control.  They scheduled two P5 OOC opponents.  Both from the SEC.  Beat them both.  Normally Clemson would have been a big win.  So, in a normal year, their SOS would have been fine.  Of course, they probably would have dropped a game in that case, but that's hypotheticals.  They can't help that their QB got hurt near the end of the season.  They went out and won anyway.
Meanwhile, you've got teams like Georgia who scheduled powerhouses like UT Martin, Ball St., and UAB.  Other than us, Alabama scheduled the mighty Blue Raiders of Middle Tennessee St., South Florida, and the world beaters down at Chattanooga.  And then they strugglebeared with beating teams like Auburn and Arkansas.  
You're splitting hairs when trying to say Team X's resume is better than Team Y's or this team is better now than this other team.  FSU won on the field.  

Georgia had Oklahoma scheduled until the realignment. Not playing that game turned out to be costly. Their resume sucks, it would’ve been a true road game too. None of that Atlanta, Arlington, SoFi stadium bullshit

“The Bulldogs will travel to Norman, Oklahoma, for the first matchup on Sept. 9, 2023, and the Sooners will hit the road on Sept. 13, 2031, to play Georgia in Athens.”

Lol@ a return trip of 2031. Is

8 minutes ago, yoladu said:

DONE.

Counterpoint: Fuck FSU, they aren’t one of the best 4 teams in the country and would lose any game against the top 10. Why put them in just to get blown out like Iowa? 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, El Hornarino said:

Ah, strolls down memory lane to the 2014 season.  The feel good story of a "third string" QB leading Ohio State to a national championship in the playoffs.  If only Florida State had a shot they would have replicated that success...

Finebaum’s primary argument this morning is founded on “FSU’S starting QB is injured”. No one is calling out the same situation with tOSU 10 years ago. It’s irritating me.

Finebaum is stumping for the SEC as he should cause that’s his money but the talking heads should bring up tOSU to counteract his argument. 

• Haha 1

All of the hue and cry for poor Florida State is fucking laughable. It's laughable to listen to on tv and radio, to read in various publications, and to see some of it here. I cannot get enough of the whining, personally.
Do I feel bad for FSU players and Norvell? 100%. They have every right to think/feel that they got proper fucked because they did, in terms of winning out on the field.
That considered, no one else is a sympathetic character on the FSU side. I'm no Bama fan and I like the FSU posters here. I like Danny Kannell. I liked Bowden and enjoyed his teams growing up. So what?
No one wanted to see a limp dick Florida State team get methodically driven into the turf in the Rose Bowl to the tune of a 31-0 Michigan shutout. I shouldn't say "no one", since obviously that was what Michigan wanted. But no one else wanted that disaster. 
And FSU fans and mouthpieces cry boo-hoo anyway. Well, guess what? The college football world placated Florida State twice under similar circumstances. The first was 2000 and we all had to suffer through watching them shit themselves and score 2 points against OU for the title simply because they'd won it the year before. Miami was the better team and beat FSU that season. 
The second event of similarity was 2014. Florida State was the reigning champ and went through a miserable fucking ACC and non-conference seasons, skating by teams over and over. Everyone knew that team was a shadow of its former self and lacked the horses to win it all. "But Florida State is the reigning champ! They're undefeated! Aren't we obligated to put them in?" We all shrugged as the committee put FSU into a 4 team playoff after watching them scrape by such juggernauts as BC, GaTech, Virginia, Florida, and Miami by one score each to close out the regular season and ACC title game. They played 8 one score games that season. Georgia Tech was the only halfway decent team of that final 5 team lot. 
So what then happened? Oregon pulled FSU's pants down in public and spanked them to the tune of 59-20 in one of the more boring playoff games in its decade-long history. 
Then there's Phillips, who had the temerity to feign outrage in his public declaration yesterday after being directly responsible for keeping his own team out. Fuck you, dipshit. 
Finally, these babies should all be blaming the ACC and its scheduling spinelessness. Your QB broke his leg against North-getthefuckoutofhere-Alabama in a FCS match-up late in the season, following the SEC bitchass model of scheduling. Play 9 conference games, dickweeds. Fuck your FCS game. Get some better credibility or fall to the legitimate perils of a 9 conference game set-up. I doubt FSU wins a game against UNC or NC State in which their QB breaks his leg. Do better, you fucking babies.
So, yeah, fuck Florida State fans, administrators, the ACC commissioner and their media water carriers. No one wants to watch a boring ACC team get their head beat in on national television while we all struggle to stay awake. You don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. You've gotten the benefit of the doubt as much as anyone besides fucking Bama over the last 20+ years and you have done fuck all with that acquiescence from the rest of us. Enjoy your irrelevant bowl experience this year and the rest of us will enjoy some high quality football in the playoffs. 

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Because it was squashed when their 3rd string hung 60 points on Wisconsin.

That game Saturday night was torture. Not only because fsus QB situation but because Iowa was the only other option.

Yup. FSU had a chance to make their case in prime time Saturday night and shit all over themselves in one of the worst displays of offense I’ve ever seen. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Because it was squashed when their 3rd string hung 60 points on Wisconsin in the B1G championship

Wisky had 4 turnovers. tOSU had 300 yds rushing. It’s a stretch to say the QB hung 60 points when it was a total team domination.

Just seems like a funky year with six teams that all have an argument to be in. Seems like most years it is 2-4.

I'm throwing Georgia in that mix too. With four, they lost their shot but I'd honestly like to see them have a shot at a title. If they had the same record but played Bama in Week 5 and lost, they'd be in. Just a situation where they lost at the wrong time. 

1 hour ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

The nice thing about a 4 team playoff is that the regular season matters. When they expand to 12 teams next year, that won't be the case and even undefeated teams like FSU will get in.

I've never understood this take.

The regular season matters in every sport there is and a playoff, or quasi-playoff, does not change that fact.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, G650 said:

Exactly.

Yep.  If FSU loses their QB and they continue to roll teams, they might have a point, but they didn't, and they don't.  

13 minutes ago, redswingline said:

I've never understood this take.

The regular season matters in every sport there is and a playoff, or quasi-playoff, does not change that fact.

Still matters, but top tier teams that lose a game or two still get the chance to enter the post season

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Wisky had 4 turnovers. tOSU had 300 yds rushing. It’s a stretch to say the QB hung 60 points when it was a total team domination.

Zeke was a beast. But at least cardale didn’t throw 55 yards, or 110 Vs UF and Louisville .

He still put up 250 vs Wisconsin and3 TDs.

240/1/1 vs #1 alabama and #2 Oregon. Not bad

3 hours ago, locodos said:

Well it's a fact that FSU turned down SEC membership so that they would have an easier path to MNC.    Karmas a bitch, they deserve it.

“I felt, Paul, that it was too difficult to win through the SEC to win a national championship,” Bowden stated. “I felt like our best route would be to go through the ACC and that did prove out to be correct. But, I don’t know if we could have made it through the SEC.”

Bowden hasn't been there in a long fucking time.  This is as absurd as the Mizzou fans trying to whip themselves into a frenzy over what Deloss said a decade earlier (possibly while they were still in conference with us).  

3 hours ago, locodos said:

Well it's a fact that FSU turned down SEC membership so that they would have an easier path to MNC.    Karmas a bitch, they deserve it.

“I felt, Paul, that it was too difficult to win through the SEC to win a national championship,” Bowden stated. “I felt like our best route would be to go through the ACC and that did prove out to be correct. But, I don’t know if we could have made it through the SEC.”

Yeah I brought up the irony of why FSU went to the ACC in the first place yesterday.

• Hook 'Em 2