Week 14, 2023, Texas v Washington, College Football Playoff Edition

Wulaw Horn

8 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

No Williams, no Catalon, our pets heads are falling off. Fortunately, safety play isn't going to be important against *checks notes* a deep ball offense with 3 NFL receivers... 

What is nice is that Washington isn't like an air raid attack that gets the ball all quickly in space. Those sorts of game plans have hurt us quite a bit. While we don't play the deep ball particularly well on the backend, our line generally does a good job of making it hard for an offense to consistently rely on routes that require that much time. 

Also with Penix's flaccidness as a runner, I'm thinking we need Sorrell and Burke to let their nuts hang and create sacks. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Also with Penix's flaccidness as a runner, I'm thinking we need Sorrell and Burke to let their nuts hang and create sacks. 

Yeah. His long run on the season is 11 yards. Seems like we would be in a good position to attack him on any passing down. 

55 minutes ago, NoName said:

in what is the wildest shit ive seen in a while he is not a player that exists in ESPN's database, so he doesn't show up in the box score for 2005 at all. only 2006 for some wild reason when he was at Texas 02-06. i thought he got hurt one year and guess i thought it was 05. my bad totally and completely.

2005 Texas Rushing stats @ Football Reference:

image.png.2bd7a8a847f9a5121e267ccce6d072b6.png

2005 Texas Rushing Stats at ESPN:

image.thumb.png.e87f780a3772acadb510ea1cc8dd72cc.png

I like stats, and I like you as a poster for providing and presenting them. But this is what I was talking about in the other thread. If you immediately and reflexively use nothing but stats to form your opinions this is the danger. You run to find some stats and post them and consider the argument won and in that whole process you don't even notice glaring issues with your data. You didn't recognize how strangely low the RB room carries seemed. And you forgot about he starting RB on the only Texas national championship team in the last 53 years who scored a memorable touchdown (late pitch) in the title game. 

Quantitative analysis tells us a lot, but using it alone without qualitative can be dangerously misleading. Especially in a sport with 22 players working in parallel. Analytics will not be able to tell us everything about football in our lifetimes.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

No Williams, no Catalon, our pets heads are falling off. Fortunately, safety play isn't going to be important against *checks notes* a deep ball offense with 3 NFL receivers... 

What is nice is that Washington isn't like an air raid attack that gets the ball all quickly in space. Those sorts of game plans have hurt us quite a bit. While we don't play the deep ball particularly well on the backend, our line generally does a good job of making it hard for an offense to consistently rely on routes that require that much time. 

Washington scouted and schemed us very well last season. So I'll be surprised if they don't try to get the ball out more quickly in this game. Not sure about their OL and how well they will handle our front 7. And after scouting us, their coach might not be sure about that either. I would think they are certainly better than most, if not all of what we've faced so far. It will also be interesting to see how much the refs "let them play" as it regards holding and PI.

I'm going to assume they will score often enough that our offense can't afford to come up empty for for several consecutive possessions though. Penix is a sixth year QB and has multiple weapons just like we do. And I hope we get the "in his zone" version of Ewers to start the game and not that guy who's a little off until he manages to get back in it again. A month off to this game.

Can't wait for Texas Homer to get his preview out. Probably be a while since he is typically thorough.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

I'm going to assume they will score often enough that our offense can't afford to come up empty for for several consecutive possessions though.

Yep. People need to prepare for this game to be one of those "who has the ball last" games. Their natural strength on offense is to attack one of the few weak spots on our team. Fortunately their defense is vulnerable so hopefully we can respond accordingly. It should be a great game. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Washington scouted and schemed us very well last season. So I'll be surprised if they don't try to get the ball out more quickly in this game. Not sure about their OL and how well they will handle our front 7. And after scouting us, their coach might not be sure about that either. I would think they are certainly better than most, if not all of what we've faced so far. It will also be interesting to see how much the refs "let them play" as it regards holding and PI.

I'm going to assume they will score often enough that our offense can't afford to come up empty for for several consecutive possessions though. Penix is a sixth year QB and has multiple weapons just like we do. And I hope we get the "in his zone" version of Ewers to start the game and not that guy who's a little off until he manages to get back in it again. A month off to this game.

Can't wait for Texas Homer to get his preview out. Probably be a while since he is typically thorough.

What they seemed to do really well last year was find a way to run the ball on us. The question I have is whether that was a schematic weakness or a personnel weakness that they exploited. Whatever the reason, I expect it is more likely that they try to do that again rather than try and install a short, timing based pass attack in a month. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 1

Washington’s strengths are great pass blocking and Pennix accuracy.  It’s not entirely clear to me how strong he will be if the rush gets to him consistently.  I didn’t see any obvious dipshittery on Debeor’s part as the season wore on.  My question is really where the Huskies fall vs. the Horns on the athletic perspective.  

1 hour ago, Warrrshington said:

Tuli Letuligasenoa (#91) is by far our best DT. He was on a pitch count or sitting during that stretch of unimpressive looking games.  He made a big difference the other night against Oregon.

Why was he playing baseball when there was a football game to be played? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

31 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

What they seemed to do really well last year was find a way to run the ball on us. The question I have is whether that was a schematic weakness or a personnel weakness that they exploited. Whatever the reason, I expect it is more likely that they try to do that again rather than try and install a short, timing based pass attack in a month. 

I’d expect both. And uptempo too. OU is the only team to really succeed against us. Fast tempo, short passes, opportunistic with Penix scrambles, and running when DL is gassed. They won’t run on our DTs any other way. They can think they can but straight up Sweat and Murphy will crush them. Frankly we have to have quality first downs against them to slow them down. If we can’t do that they will do all of the above and score 40+. We keep them behind the chains high 20s and we win.

Edited by troph

Worst written rule in college football, it’s just way too punitive, random and subjective.

Absolutely. Ejection should only be reserved for the most egregiously dirty, malicious hits. Suspension from the first half the following week is insane.
  • Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Overshown didn’t play, which meant there was a smoking crater at linebacker next to Ford.  We also had a rotation of freshmen + Ovie Oghoufu at one edge position.  As I recall, we rotated heavily throughout the game on defense because Sark wanted tape on all the developmental players.

Here’s a link to the game highlights:  

Their longest run of the day comes at about 2:45.  They get a huge combo block on sophomore Vernon Broughton, David Gbenda takes false steps to the outside and ends up outside of his lane, and Ford can’t cover the hole from his position on the backside.  Ryan Watts is manned up playside on Odunze, realizes very late that it’s a run, and tries to make an off-balance tackle but can’t bring his weight to hit and gets stiff-armed.

In short, it’s a player failure.  Broughton couldn’t anchor, Gbenda let his eyes take him out of the play, and Watts was so focused on Odunze he was slow to react to the run call.

Take out that 42 yard run and we held them to 116 yards on 27 carries for about 4.2 YPC.  Still a decent YPC, but we were clearly selling out to stop the pass.  We have considerably improved our personnel and I think we will do much better against their rushing attack even without safety help.

Edited by Fumbles
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

What they seemed to do really well last year was find a way to run the ball on us. The question I have is whether that was a schematic weakness or a personnel weakness that they exploited. 

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that personnel was the primary issue. We had Diamante Tucker-Dorsey and Morice Blackwell substituting in for Overshown. Broughton was a jag last season and was useless vs the run (typically put on skates when run blocked). Likewise, Collins only flashed and mainly in the pass rush. Gbenda also played LB and he was terrible up until this season. He never knew were to be. He has also improved, but still not great. Burke was light in the ass at Edge and we still had Ovie Ogoufo.

Broughton still isn't all worldly, but he has improved. Collins is much better this season. Basically, our front 7 is a substantially better group this season through development mainly and some new personnel, and we have better depth.

Texas football releases unofficial depth chart for the Alamo Bowl

TexasvWash-AlamoBowlDepthChart_2022.thumb.jpg.433a75f12f2e212ecea84f3d381ca7ce.jpg

Edited by sith_horn
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that personnel was the primary issue. We had Diamante Tucker-Dorsey and Morice Blackwell substituting in for Overshown. Broughton was a jag last season and was useless vs the run (typically put on skates when run blocked). Likewise, Collins only flashed and mainly in the pass rush. Gbenda also played LB and he was terrible up until this season. He never knew were to be. He has also improved, but still not great. Burke was light in the ass at Edge and we still had Ovie Ogoufo.

Broughton still isn't all worldly, but he has improved. Collins is much better this season. Basically, our front 7 is a substantially better group this season through development and personnell, and we have better depth.

Texas football releases unofficial depth chart for the Alamo Bowl

TexasvWash-AlamoBowlDepthChart_2022.thumb.jpg.433a75f12f2e212ecea84f3d381ca7ce.jpg

Should've played Maceal Afaese more at Jack, imo.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

If Sweat can get all over Penix, then prepare for a smooth buttfucking. 

at best he cleans up. I'd focus on Burke, Hill, Murphy, and Ford. But the point remains, we get to Penix routinely it's over, could be ugly even.

It will be a tight game. If the refs call it clean and they call holding penalties we should get pressure.  They will throw for 400 on our corners easily. But they can pass for 10000 as long as it’s between the goal lines and we nut up when it matters.   The big12 title team on the field will skullfuck Washington and beat Michigan for the natty 

9 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:
1 hour ago, cochamps said:

Yeah, well that still doesn't sound "locked in" to me chief.

I'll see what I can dial up, buddy.

I see what you did there. Incidentally, who cares if rotary phones aren't a thing anymore. Old sayings are that because they stand the test of time.

Now, as it regards "locked in". I think the main point was that Washington is battle tested and plays to the whistle, having found a way to win all season. Kinda sounds like Texas too.

14 minutes ago, Fumbles said:

Overshown didn’t play, which meant there was a smoking crater at linebacker next to Ford.  We also had a rotation of freshmen + Ovie Oghoufu at one edge position.  As I recall, we rotated heavily throughout the game on defense because Sark wanted tape on all the developmental players.

Here’s a link to the game highlights:  

Their longest run of the day comes at about 2:45.  They get a huge combo block on sophomore Vernon Broughton, David Gbenda takes false steps to the outside and ends up outside of his lane, and Ford can’t cover the hole from his position on the backside.  Ryan Watts is manned up playside on Odunze, realizes very late that it’s a run, and tries to make an off-balance tackle but can’t bring his weight to hit and gets stiff-armed.

In short, it’s a player failure.  Broughton couldn’t anchor, Gbenda let his eyes take him out of the play, and Watts was so focused on Odunze he was slow to react to the run call.

Take out that 42 yard run and we held them to 116 yards on 27 carries for about 4.2 YPC.  Still a decent YPC, but we were clearly selling out to stop the pass.  We have considerably improved our personnel and I think we will do much better against their rushing attack even without safety help.

Thanks for posting this.  I had to search back in my memory of my recollection of the game.  In light of the season, I seem to recall my reaction to the outcome being “yeah, that’s about right.”  I wasn’t too optimistic going in then knowing key personnel not playing, then seeing who played. It makes sense that Sark used the game for evaluating who we had.  Ewers had a lot of yards passing and we didn’t have a lot of run yards.

What I find interesting from watching a number of CFP shows is that there is little mention of the Alamo Bowl.  Hilariously, Desmond Howard on Rich Eisen’s show looks forward to the game because he could not recall when UW and Texas last played against each other.  🤦 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Reasons I feel good about this game:

1. How our lines of scrimmage match up with UW.

2. Our running backs.

3. UW is team 5 on our revenge tour from last year. Also, the last time we played in the Sugar Bowl on January 1st, we did pretty well.

Reason I’m pessimistic:

1. UW pass offense vs. our secondary.

• Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

I see what you did there. Incidentally, who cares if rotary phones aren't a thing anymore. Old sayings are that because they stand the test of time.

But the thing is, people didn't regularly use the term "dial up" when rotary phones were a thing.  And now, there is not one single football announcer who can talk about a blitz without using the phrase.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Quantitative analysis tells us a lot, but using it alone without qualitative can be dangerously misleading. Especially in a sport with 22 players working in parallel. Analytics will not be able to tell us everything about football in our lifetimes.

analytics are a tool, not a panacea. i am quite aware of that, promise!

analytics help fill in more of the picture vs just using the eye test - ultimately you are correct that you have to use them both to get closer to a full picture. analytics do help a ton and are more useful at the professional levels where you have just so much more of them - both historically and in the moment/season/game.

re: 05 i looked at the box scores specifically because i don't remember the start of the year in 05 box score wise. the reality was Selvin and Charles split carries pretty evenly (14/8, 10/5, 11/10, 15/11, 10/9 for the first 5 games) with Melton getting the goal line/short carries. just completely and totally forgot Selvin Young existed for 2005 and assumed Vince soaked up a ton of attempts - which he did. so my fault there for sure. this is me in general on the internet, and has been for a long time, but i typically need to bite my tongue and avoid idiots - this is a prime example (Jaydon Blue = Jamaal Charles from that poster who has shown a ton of bad opinions)

20 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Wish Anthony Cook had been able to stick around for this season. The Safety depth would’ve gone a long way when injuries started to mount up.

With Derek out for the first half, who de we expect? Taafe and J. Thompson? I've sometimes wondered if Guilbeau shouldn't get a look at Safety since Jahdae starts at nickel. Even if he just subs in for periods, he could still spell Barron when needed.

Honestly, I don't sweat Catalon gone. Aside from injuries, I don't think he was a plus against the pass. Playing downhill run support was his main thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

analytics are a tool, not a panacea. i am quite aware of that, promise!

analytics help fill in more of the picture vs just using the eye test - ultimately you are correct that you have to use them both to get closer to a full picture. analytics do help a ton and are more useful at the professional levels where you have just so much more of them - both historically and in the moment/season/game.

re: 05 i looked at the box scores specifically because i don't remember the start of the year in 05 box score wise. the reality was Selvin and Charles split carries pretty evenly (14/8, 10/5, 11/10, 15/11, 10/9 for the first 5 games) with Melton getting the goal line/short carries. just completely and totally forgot Selvin Young existed for 2005 and assumed Vince soaked up a ton of attempts - which he did. so my fault there for sure. this is me in general on the internet, and has been for a long time, but i typically need to bite my tongue and avoid idiots - this is a prime example (Jaydon Blue = Jamaal Charles from that poster who has shown a ton of bad opinions)

arguing maffs with @Huckleberry...

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

9 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

With Derek out for the first half, who de we expect? Taafe and J. Thompson? I've sometimes wondered if Guilbeau shouldn't get a look at Safety since Jahdae starts at nickel. Even if he just subs in for periods, he could still spell Barron when needed.

Taafe, Thompson and Crawford /notgreatBob.gif

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

But the thing is, people didn't regularly use the term "dial up" when rotary phones were a thing.  And now, there is not one single football announcer who can talk about a blitz without using the phrase.

With making the CFP, there will be a lot of new posters coming around. So while we are at it, a couple more "terms" that need not be used that make come up frequently in the next few weeks:

"natty"...something that can be found at the back of your fridge or in 77 packs during spring break and not a national championship.

"icey whites"...a term other teams use to describe their special white out uniform costume. Here we use "storm troopers" or road uniforms.

That is all.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Not sure you should be hating on a team having an unexpectedly close game against an overmatched in-state opponent, chief.

You think Texas struggled at home with an overmatched in-state opponent like Washington struggled with Washington State? You don't just stroll into TDECU Stadium or Amon Carter Stadium and expect an easy W. 

• Pancho locked this topic
  • Pancho unlocked this topic