Everything is Shit: Tracking the Great Enshittening

956 Worldwide

3 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

One day you are the bald king of Amazon (not specifically addressing you—you claim to be Ted Cruz’s doppelgänger) and divorce your wife for high maintenance arm bling with a set of fun bags.

IMG_9589.webp.e0802e12198d0cf207bbb4709802688e.webp

Then one day you wake up and realize (eventually) you are lying next to someone who looks more and more like this and the upkeep to stave off the fugly is too much of a hassle:

Is this photo AI? What's with the hands? 

22 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

i've read page one because i've been dealing the fucknig fully-non-operational deathstar since the day after new years when they declared war on uverse customers

@@ is ENSHITTIFIED and i'll get to the story at some point - getting a new gig off the runway

On 2/23/2024 at 7:17 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Also, I know you were being hyperbolic calling it a "$2 product" but is it really $7 for a stick of deodorant? 

When was the last time you bought deodorant?

9 minutes ago, Covri said:

Damn I didn’t realize she used to be married to Tony Gonzalez and they had a son together. She looks completely different now.

image.thumb.jpeg.f80d7fbec22db6695b63d023ad041fa3.jpeg

A lesson to all women: stop messing with your face. Stop it! Allow yourself to age gracefully (doesn’t mean let yourself fall apart.) it’s sad really. Had she left herself alone maybe she doesn’t attract Bozo but still. Now she looks like a caricature of herself. 

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

I rarely eat fast food these days anyway.  But when I do, one of the reasons is basic, manageable pricing.  I know I can get a cheeseburger combo most places for $10-$12.  But if I show up and it's $18?  Fuck off.

45 minutes ago, Deej said:

Good way to ensure there will be no surge in demand. 

Yea it's like the execs at Wendy's don't understand the concept of visible vs invisible queue.  Here's a hint guys you have a visible one and people will figure out pretty quickly that if there are folks in the drive-through and cars outside prices are higher and head on down the road.  Uber has a fairly invisible queue and if you need to get somewhere that may be a bit more urgent than ordering a Baconator.  

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

58 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I rarely eat fast food these days anyway.  But when I do, one of the reasons is basic, manageable pricing.  I know I can get a cheeseburger combo most places for $10-$12.  But if I show up and it's $18?  Fuck off.

And whyyyy do the companies use surge pricing? Because it's an excuse to gouge consumers, and there will be enough idiot whales to make it worth their while and validate the business model.

And don't you dare criticize those companies, it's their DUTY and RIGHT to price gouge their customers!

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Chopper said:

Step up your game? Amazon dot com is there to help you fence the goods.

image.png.f138f4e869e57da428d9c4462cfcea09.png

Thug face of urban crime. https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/bonsall-woman-suspected-ringleader-of-8m-retail-theft-ring-hitting-200-ulta-stores/3441772/

image.png.3293843b2581516d754a00377e011b6a.png

He house is for sale, and it's only a few miles from my place.  I checked it out on the MLS last night.  it's pretty, pretty, pretty sweet.  2.75 million. 

i need to read the thread but i'm not understanding how the ulta scam is an enshittening event

firing 100% of your customer service team qualifies....

if not already posted, american did it last month

read the comments in addition to the article:

https://viewfromthewing.com/american-airlines-restructuring-hundreds-of-layoffs-in-customer-service-to-serve-you-better/

There's a Wendy's between my old high school and my parent's house that they've been in for 45 years. I went there so much growing up. It was a greenhouse style Wendy's. I remember the taco bar, people dining in all the time. I'd get two junior bacon cheeseburgers and a biggie fries for $3.22. It was fucking delicious, well run, and always busy.

The Wendy's is still there. They updated it to the modern look about 10 years ago. It is a fucking wasteland now. Never seen more than 1-2 cars in line at anytime and the parking lot is empty. After not ordering from there in years, I got a Spicy Chicken sandwich meal there about 6 months ago. It was like $13 bucks. I couldn't believe it. 

• Rage+1 1

18 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I agree. My mom watches all that Housewives crap on Bravo and they all look the same. Waxy faces, tiny noses, overblown lips. It’s creepy. We have 20 year old girls doing Botox. Courteney Cox will never fix what she did to her face. It’s an enshitting for sure. I get the industry they are in but ask someone who has had good work done like Demi Moore or JLO or Jennifer Garner. A lot of these women do not look good at all but you cannot convince them of that. 

Lauren Sanchez is only 54 and has already had a ton of work done and continues to do more. Bezos is no looker but one day he’s going to wake up next to her and freak out (this picture was two days ago):

IMG_9590.webp

image.png.6a5f10005fc9df3c8a516aa6fd88794e.png

19 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

One day you are the bald king of Amazon (not specifically addressing you—you claim to be Ted Cruz’s doppelgänger) and divorce your wife for high maintenance arm bling with a set of fun bags.

IMG_9589.webp.e0802e12198d0cf207bbb4709802688e.webp

Then one day you wake up and realize (eventually) you are lying next to someone who looks more and more like this and the upkeep to stave off the fugly is too much of a hassle:IMG_5792.png.f2b31bafdd4c8a906c9c3adc9c9361a4.png

saw her on chaturbate!

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.784af674ae01c4e840cb286525d833cb.png

Came to post that Wendy’s link.  Pretty sure bet that the ‘value’ pricing = price before the dynamic model was implemented and ‘surge’ will be 1.5x that = just a way to make more money.  

it’s nearly ruined value in international reward travel…or at least made it much more challenging.  I switched from being loyal AA to just Chase Sapphire several years ago to expand my options.  

And Bezo’s girl looks like the dream wife of just about every guy I’d ever seen at ROT…usually their ham planet wives had to stick to the golf carts.  

Those dudes always cracked me up with their weekend outlaw fantasies yet were too scared to put their feet on the pegs before 20mph and the constant throttle blips overheated their air cooled, over priced, 1950’s tech Harley’s after two laps of the drag.  

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

There's a Wendy's between my old high school and my parent's house that they've been in for 45 years. I went there so much growing up. It was a greenhouse style Wendy's. I remember the taco bar, people dining in all the time. I'd get two junior bacon cheeseburgers and a biggie fries for $3.22. It was fucking delicious, well run, and always busy.

The Wendy's is still there. They updated it to the modern look about 10 years ago. It is a fucking wasteland now. Never seen more than 1-2 cars in line at anytime and the parking lot is empty. After not ordering from there in years, I got a Spicy Chicken sandwich meal there about 6 months ago. It was like $13 bucks. I couldn't believe it. 

Yeah, the Wendy’s near me is the same, right next to other fast food places that are always packed, but the Wendy’s looks closed. A couple weeks ago, I reluctantly pulled up to the drive thru, tried to order a spicy chicken sandwich combo, and the dumbass thought I said chicken nuggets. When I tried to correct him, he changed the quantity of nuggets. After the 3rd try, I listened to my instincts and drove away. Wendy’s is just gross now. 

• Rage+1 1

On 2/26/2024 at 1:37 PM, Homercles said:

Shoplifting is a real thing, and so is corporate greed.  

Correct. Everyone is greedy. Thats what makes 1000 retail shops not-named CVS compete against CVS to offer the lowest prices on Deoderant. Thats what makes the world go round. 

It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest.” -Adam Smith, 1776

• Fuck You 1

On 2/26/2024 at 2:22 PM, Captainant said:

It should be remembered when talking about "doubling wages!!!" That you're talking about people going from $7.50/hr to $15/hr. $15/hr is fucking poverty wages these days - you're bringing home like $1200 after taxes every two weeks. If you're extremely lucky, rent is gonna be more than half your monthly income if not almost all of it - nevermind food or medical expenses or little indulgences like clothes and children. 

It is really remarkable how stagnant wages have historically been compared to overall economic growth and per capita economic contribution. Just look at dollar amount. Wage earning raises over the last decade didn't come close to touching executive compensation increases over the last couple years. 

Lucky you, we have official economic data from the last decade, showing median earnings matching or outpacing gdp, rent, and restaurant food (muh wendys!!)

IMG_5224.thumb.jpeg.5a1cacb46344325bdcc4bc2e1dabfcfd.jpeg

and if you paid attention in grade school, this is median earnings, not mean/avg, and is therefore less skewed by outlying high earnings. 

nothing you have said on economics have factually checked out. ever. ever.

perhaps the greatest enshittening is actually retards like you having access to the internet. 

if theres any consolation to this, its that your dungheap of a post platforms real, concrete, objective data for other people to view.  (you, yourself, are hopelessly unsalvageable). 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

20 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Jennifer Lawrence Lol GIF

Dude has through a search engine all the worlds knowledge at his fingertips but instead chooses to pollute the internet with last century’s failed propaganda. 

He is the remnant afterbirth of a dorm room discourse before mobile phones and world wide web. A constant stream of shit running down a dark sewer. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

While that was clearly a glitch, the model of "make it functionally impossible to escalate and dispute" is 100% an intentional profit center for many businesses.  Fuck everyone up the ass for a modest amount -- say, an extra $20 that shouldn't have been charged at all -- and count on maybe 20% of people actually taking the time to dispute it?  You just made 80% of your $20 bullshit charges as pure profit. Probably more, as even among that 20% that disputes it, half of them give up after being stuck navigating a phone tree to nowhere for 2.5 hours.

Ripping people off is a business model.  And it's one that works because it's ubiquitous.  I encounter it regularly, and I don't have the fucking time or energy to fight every assfucking businesses try to give me.  I am far from alone.

This become really really obvious in a during and immediately post Covid world. 

@52-80 chill on the super personal stuff it’s okay to flame but you are getting a bit close to the line.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, immamac said:

@52-80 chill on the super personal stuff it’s okay to flame but you are getting a bit close to the line.

k boss, less spice, more pictures:

income growth for the median american.  already adjusted for inflation.

IMG_5226.thumb.jpeg.9b9afabcdcb2ad9c8e68ed7b8b010a42.jpeg

income growth for the lower-middle group of americans, indexed to 1984 when data series started. outpaced inflation same rate as above  IMG_5229.thumb.jpeg.00e48a80f6d18f68938108ef5185f8e8.jpeg

• Fuck You 1

I would say that urban/sub-urban vs rural would be interesting to look at. I feel like rents haven't skyrocketed in these cities that aren't growing like crazy and people's view of everything getting crazy expensive has more to do with where they live than the overall state of the entire US.

I will say that wages have not kept up with rising costs in Austin for sure. Hard to say for the other Texas cities, but Austin is an extreme outlier, as the number one growth MSA in the country for the better part of the last decade. 

In general the reason for enshittification is actually because of what you are showing, people have too much money to spend and the core goods to stay alive haven't exactly risen at the same rate. Not everyone had a TV when I was growing up, poor or not and not just because it was some household choice, it was because those mother fuckers were expensive. Now everyone has a big screen TV, a smartphone, internet, etc. We live in a time where being poor for the majority of people means you can't spend thousands of dollars on a vacation or drive a car that is less desirable than the one you want. 

Unironically I was watching Channel 5 news with Andrew Callaghan on youtube the other day, he is a gonzo journalist who talks to people all over and he went to Mexico and talked to folks in the migrant caravan trying to get in etc and his conclusion after talking to some of them and some people who had actually come over both legally and illegally from Mexico is a driving force for people wanting to come is they think there is an opportunity for a better life here, but when they arrive they realize you just actually become a wage slave with nice things and no time or money to spend freely.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Unironically I was watching Channel 5 news with Andrew Callaghan on youtube the other day, he is a gonzo journalist who talks to people all over and he went to Mexico and talked to folks in the migrant caravan trying to get in etc and his conclusion after talking to some of them and some people who had actually come over both legally and illegally from Mexico is a driving force for people wanting to come is they think there is an opportunity for a better life here, but when they arrive they realize you just actually become a wage slave with nice things and no time or money to spend freely.

He is genuinely one of the best reporters out there right now. He's done some incredible boots on the ground reporting on a whole shitload of different topics ranging from silly to deadly serious. I haven't watched all of his recent Mexico and border coverage yet, but that's a real dark ending for those people who risked life and limb to make the crossing just to realize that our working class has a pretty raw deal

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

I would say that urban/sub-urban vs rural would be interesting to look at. I feel like rents haven't skyrocketed in these cities that aren't growing like crazy and people's view of everything getting crazy expensive has more to do with where they live than the overall state of the entire US.

I will say that wages have not kept up with rising costs in Austin for sure. Hard to say for the other Texas cities, but Austin is an extreme outlier, as the number one growth MSA in the country for the better part of the last decade. 

In general the reason for enshittification is actually because of what you are showing, people have too much money to spend and the core goods to stay alive haven't exactly risen at the same rate. Not everyone had a TV when I was growing up, poor or not and not just because it was some household choice, it was because those mother fuckers were expensive. Now everyone has a big screen TV, a smartphone, internet, etc. We live in a time where being poor for the majority of people means you can't spend thousands of dollars on a vacation or drive a car that is less desirable than the one you want. 

i see it as regulatory capture and profits capture - the hill is owned by the street - and the downward spiral to cut cost and create profit where it doesn't naturally exist - in order to satisfy the hill and the street - is now creating unnatural distortions, like american cutting 100% of customer service reps, and $15 frosties, and then inventing NewSpeak terminology to describe the enshittifying.

when i get time to tell it my at&t story from the past 7 weeks is total bizarro world - but no one at @@ is plotting against me - it's just the critical mass of the enshittification vector in a trillion dollar deathstar becomes an unstoppable object crossing all departments and systems.

idiocracy is here

22 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

k boss, less spice, more pictures:

income growth for the median american.  already adjusted for inflation.

IMG_5226.thumb.jpeg.9b9afabcdcb2ad9c8e68ed7b8b010a42.jpeg

income growth for the lower-middle group of americans, indexed to 1984 when data series started. outpaced inflation same rate as above  IMG_5229.thumb.jpeg.00e48a80f6d18f68938108ef5185f8e8.jpeg

The problem is that you're answering the wrong question.  What is a dollar?  It's just a unit of currency.  What matters is how much in goods/services can be purchased using that currency.

If my annual salary of $10k in 1975 is enough to buy me decent housing, healthcare, a functioning car, and sufficient food, then I'm doing ok.

If my annual salary of $30k in 2020 is NOT enough to buy me those things, then I'm not doing okay.  

We aren't paid in "dollars," just like someone in the UK isn't paid in "pounds."  We are paid in "how many sandwiches can I buy," and "how much of a home can I buy/rent?"  That's what matters.  I don't care if you pay me in dollars, pounds, euros, or Stanley Nickels....I care how many apples, shirts, and containers of laundry detergent I can buy with whatever you pay me.  And in THOSE terms....most Americans haven't gotten jack shit in benefit for decades.  More money....with no increase in the ability to buy/afford things.

FT_18.07.26_hourlyWage_adjusted.png

The trend of real wage stagnation is 50 years old.  And it's a big change from the prior pattern:

realwages.jpg

We are producing more - that trend line continues to be positive.  But the pay for that increased productivity, so that real wage growth could continue?  It ain't there.

iCTuo.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

19 minutes ago, immamac said:

1. What the BLS calls “urban” covers  metroplexes and represent over 90% of America.  (Theres an Austin-Roundrock data series if you want to dive into it)

2. Pretty funny that in face of data showing Americans rising income, way exceeding the cost of living, the resident communists response is — very unironically —  that the income is apparent….not enough.  Is zhe/zher a closet capitalist? 

3. Yes you are very right on the perspective of economics. (I also never had a personal TV growing up and the family never had cable).  I think people romanticize this false narrative of a 1950s family living on a single income….nevermind it was a shotgun house with 1 bedroom and they probably had to shit outside.  People now have more disposable spending power than ever. Its just the reality. 

4. That Callahan interview was with 2 coyote teenagers working as dishwashers and doesn’t represent the reality of the bulk of the migrants here.

What do the literal millions of migrants who stay here say about their life — even the ones washing dishes? Do they not send remittances home, while their decision to stay is itself testimony?

Are there working class Americans moving to Mexico for better opportunities? Is ignorance the explanation for both Mexicans wanting to go to America, and lack of Americans wanting to go to Mexico?

America isnt perfect, but its still damn better than most everywhere else. Proof of the pudding is in the eating. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

America isnt perfect, but its still damn better than most everywhere else.

Can't imagine anyone here would disagree with that statement.

What we would disagree with is the strident shouting of the second clause at the expense and exclusion of wanting to do anything to improve on the first clause.

I'm an overweight middle-aged man.  But I make good money, have a job that doesn't expose me to real danger or beat up my body, have good healthcare, and otherwise good nutrition.  I am healthier than middle-aged men in many, many countries (dude making bricks in Bangladesh definitely has it shittier than me). 

So, it is accurate to say that "Brisket's health isn't perfect, but it's still damn better than his peers most anywhere else."

Your approach gets screaming mad and calls anyone a communist who sees my pretty obvious health risk and says "so, I think it's important that Brisket mix in some more salads and exercise more."

Even more importantly, when discussing the economic aspects above, the degree of PERCEPTION, and its impact on reality, is as important as the reality itself.  The psychology of rising inequality is human, universal, and real.  The psychology of having to wage a fight during transaction after transaction to avoid getting fucked over, even when that is a result of us having more consumer choice than we did 50 years ago (not much to fight about when your choices were much more limited) is real.  It beats people down.  Shit, not to go CR, but by actual DATA measures, Americans are doing better than they were several years ago....but the psychology of living through an economically chaotic time that included the sharpest inflation rates in 40+ years is real, and it causes people who actually are doing economically okay relative to where they were a few years ago to FEEL as if they are doing poorly.  And people who feel that they are doing poorly do the exact same things socially, politically, and economically, that people who are ACTUALLY doing poorly do.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The problem is that you're answering the wrong question.  What is a dollar?  It's just a unit of currency.  What matters is how much in goods/services can be purchased using that currency.

If my annual salary of $10k in 1975 is enough to buy me decent housing, healthcare, a functioning car, and sufficient food, then I'm doing ok.

If my annual salary of $30k in 2020 is NOT enough to buy me those things, then I'm not doing okay.  

We aren't paid in "dollars," just like someone in the UK isn't paid in "pounds."  We are paid in "how many sandwiches can I buy," and "how much of a home can I buy/rent?"  That's what matters.

I say this in earnest: your intelligence is above having to ask this question. 

The “real” in “real income” means its adjusted against the change in value of the (airquotes) dollar. The value of said dollar is measured by the basket of goods representing typical spending habits. 

Which includes housing, healthcare, car, and sandwiches. Its already baked into the number. 

Please just read the CPI handbook. You are better than this. 

Edited by 52-80

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I am healthier than middle-aged men in many, many countries (dude making bricks in Bangladesh definitely has it shittier than me). 

So, it is accurate to say that "Brisket's health isn't perfect, but it's still damn better than his peers most anywhere else."

Your approach gets screaming mad and calls anyone a communist who sees my pretty obvious health risk and says "so, I think it's important that Brisket mix in some more salads and exercise more."

Even more importantly, when discussing the economic aspects above, the degree of PERCEPTION, and its impact on reality, is as important as the reality itself.  The psychology of rising inequality is human, universal, and real…

Not even in the ballpark with that example. Suggesting an overweight person exercise more is a directionally correct opinion. The proper analog would be shout ad-nauseum “Brisket is literally killing himself at work and he’s still poor”. Its hysterical, but moreover wildly incorrect. 

As to the second half of your post, the quantitative part of economics is interesting because it separates objective fact from fiction. As to what people might feel or perceive…meh, ill leave that part of the debate for the social scientists. 

7 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I say this in earnest: your intelligence is above having to ask this question. 

The “real” in “real income” means its adjusted against the change in value of the (airquotes) dollar. The value of said dollar is measured by the basket of goods representing typical spending habits. 

Which includes housing, healthcare, car, and sandwiches. Its already baked into the number. 

Please just read the CPI handbook. You are better than this. 

I read exactly what you posted.  Now reconcile that with the information I posted, as to...yes...REAL wages.  If you're suggesting that what we posted is identical, then yes...something is WAY off.

Here's another data set, showing a comparison:

picfab5e5cb3ff4aed0c4a86aed779f6e5e.png

That's pretty unambiguous for a nearly 20 year period.  Real household income - inflation adjusted for the CPI, so yeah...in terms of how many shirts and sandwiches you can buy -- remained flat for that period.  Nominal income, though....that increased at a rate that pretty much matches your FRED chart.

Note that I'm not accusing you of shenanigans.  I am genuinely asking why we have two very disparate takes on data here.  I've just plucked some of cleanest examples I found, but most of them were in line with what I queried about: income in terms of shirts and sandwiches has been flat.  But your chart, by using the term "real," indicates that it has NOT been flat.  So, trying to understand the disconnect.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I read exactly what you posted.  Now reconcile that with the information I posted, as to...yes...REAL wages.  If you're suggesting that what we posted is identical, then yes...something is WAY off.

Here's another data set, showing a comparison:

picfab5e5cb3ff4aed0c4a86aed779f6e5e.png

Get the chart straight from the source. This matches the parameters of the picture. But you can tune all that yourself. 
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/graph/?g=1hwMt

IMG_5231.thumb.jpeg.ea43f4b7fb79734c1703963571d8216e.jpeg

On a fluctuating time series, you can frame any narrative you want by cherry picking the intervals, as one might do for political reasons.  (Eg from 2008-2012 we lost wages!!)

If you want to see America over time, better to zoom out a bit no?

IMG_5232.thumb.jpeg.54c7179ea4f1dd6dc9c290c64cba676b.jpeg