2024 Rain Thread: All Your El Nino Are Belong to Us

I love the rain but it'd be nice if my 'hood didn't lose power seemingly every time lightning strikes within a mile of my house. It's like Bluebonnet Electric put up lightning rods that, instead of grounding the strike, feed it directly into critical transformers or switches or something.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Worst fog I’ve seen in years in 78759. Visibility couldn’t have been more than 25 yards.

This happened to me driving on 35 back from Dallas at about 5am one time. If there had been a brick wall in front of me 25 yards away I wouldn’t have known. Semis were just blazing through it at 75mph.  I was white-knuckling the steering wheel at like 55 just praying to not get rear ended. 

Shit got pretty real there for 20mts here in close-in south Austin.  Seems to be quieting down down but another wave around 7 or 8.

Glad I put down the wet and forget a few days ago on the patio. 

Posted (edited)
On 3/22/2024 at 9:27 AM, texasdago said:

Update:  Looks like about 1.5" for the month.  F that.

1.14" here. In March. In El Nino.

Oh look, we very well could dip below the trend line for rainfall at Mabry:

image.png.d70e1a9acac535816f92b32179009290.png

Bergstrom doing better:

image.png.024c1e4da162cd0daee7e87756ff2498.png

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

Wife just texted that lightning just hit behind one of the houses across the canyon from us (Steck/Mesa area).  Lots of smoke on impact.  Could have hit another house, a tree, who knows, but closer than we've seen.  So, that's fun.

6 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

^^ Yeah. That got real REAL for a minute there. Looks to have lost a bit of steam pretty quick which is probably a good thing

Some trailer in the SEC is getting flipped in the next 48 hours.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

I caught about bigger than pea size but not quite grape size hail for about a total of 7 minutes. What kind of damage do you think that did? Does anyone here know? My roof was replaced in 2016. 

It moved through pretty quick. Wife's car took a few good dents. 

There were 2 bands, I think. I caught about 5 minutes, then it kind of stopped then a 2nd wave lasting about 2 minutes. It turned into just rain at the end.  Fuck. I told the sky to shit or get off the pot with all the dark skies but no rain today. I think I pissed off the weather gods with my insolence. Sorry, assholes!

1 hour ago, burntorangebongos said:

I caught about bigger than pea size but not quite grape size hail for about a total of 7 minutes. What kind of damage do you think that did? Does anyone here know? My roof was replaced in 2016. 

Didn't we do your roof?

Pea?  Negligible.  Grape?  Now we're getting interesting.

Golf ball?  😍

• Haha 1