CFP Semifinal: Texas vs Washington - 7:45pm on ESPN

Pancho

Just now, vandergriff said:

We will lose 3 or 4 games next season.   Georgia and Mich both losses if Harbaugh stays because we will be outcoached in both.  Another dumb loss for sure in the SEC because we are losing a lot on both sides of the ball.  We won't be a contender next year unfortunately 

Agreed. I don’t think we contend for 2-3 years. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, vandergriff said:

We will lose 3 or 4 games next season.   Georgia and Mich both losses if Harbaugh stays because we will be outcoached in both.  Another dumb loss for sure in the SEC because we are losing a lot on both sides of the ball.  We won't be a contender next year unfortunately 

Strong disagree. We will be very good next year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

On at least a couple of those throws it felt like the receiver should have been ready. I clearly don't know what the play/route was, but they weren't out of the ordinary timing wise. 

Maybe, but it’s happened several times this season. I think he rushes it too much under pressure sometimes.  It’s better than holding the ball too long and throwing it late.

1 minute ago, OU Sucks said:

But he didn't even look at anyone except Blue?

Yea that’s why we are we’re like Wtf how was that the play.  But sark got asked it like question #2 and made it clear that wasn’t the primary read

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Our coaching staff is overrated. They aren’t near as good as they think they are. 

Next year won’t be easy. I see 2-3 losses at least. Michigan and Georgia for sure are Ls.

Still the best coaching staff texas has had since… muschamp was on the payroll. 

42 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Harbaugh is a dumbass. He will fuck it up. Washington can beat Michigan easily. 

Yeah, and when Penix takes the field, he's going to score at will with those receivers.

I'm not really buying the run it all game notion.

4 minutes ago, naija said:

this is what bothers me about people saying we've reset and things are looking up. not untrue, but our circumstances are changing as well. you don't treat this like its going to be a regular occurrence. might be a while before we have it line up so good. the championship was there to be had. thank God for the 12 playoff spots. we will need it where we are going.

Truth. Sweat and Murphy aren't coming back. Collins is likely gone too. We've got some promising guys in the pipeline, but it would be a miracle to replace their capability by next season. And similar with Worthy, Mitchell, Sanders and JWhitt.

1 minute ago, naija said:

this is what bothers me about people saying we've reset and things are looking up. not untrue, but our circumstances are changing as well. you don't treat this like its going to be a regular occurrence. might be a while before we have it line up so good. the championship was there to be had. thank God for the 12 playoff spots. we will need it where we are going.

We were fortunate to get in the playoff and super fortunate to even have a chance to win at the end. Washington outplayed us for most of the game. 

Sark has still done a great job building this roster and we are set at QB for the next 3-4 years. We will have to deal with guys leaving for NFL and transfer circus, but we are in a much better position than the majority of competing teams. I hope/expect Sark to learn from this game and keep things in a positive direction. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

10-2/9-3 is competing for a 12-team playoff spot and a SEC championship berth if one of those Ls is Michigan.

I think we need to know what Ewers is doing before making any serious predictions about next season but if you wouldn’t take that you are dumb. That is the reasonable bar for success.

He is coming back 100%. He didnt have an NFL performance tonight and it will kill his 2nd round hopes. His passes got batted at the line. He made most of his hay scrambling (that wont work in the NFL). He looked mediocre as an NFL prospect. He has work to do if he wants to go in round 1. Plus, the kid likes it here and gets paid millions to play UT starting QB. We will see him back for sure.  

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Or you know, your receiver can elevate and catch the ball. Like he did on the last TD, and like Ewers probably expected him to.

I absolutely understand what the play was and why. 

I'm just crying about the last play. 

This is the beauty of football. There are many singular moments that could have changed the game. That was the last one. 

Realistically we should never have had a chance at the end there anyway. But we did dammit, and we flubbed four chances to score from the 12 yard line. Just didn't seem like we had much left in the tank playcalling-wise. 

I was hoping we'd try the deep post the announcer suggested. But the reality is Ewers is just too limited when it comes to the type of throws he can make. Penix is an example of a QB with no limits - he can make any type of throw anywhere on the field. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

9 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

Ewers is throwing to a spot where he thinks Mitchell is going to be. You can see he’s released the ball before Mitchell is in the end zone and he’s getting pressured. He gave Mitchell a chance and their DB made a good play. 

Imo Ewers biggest issue is releasing the ball too early at times. He had 3 or 4 throws in this game when the receiver didn’t know the ball was thrown their way. His timing can be a bit off.

Also good scouting by Wash to have their dline get their hands up and bat passes. Ewers has a low arm angle.

One of the issues with the last play is that 5 half assed the route. He looked almost surprised the ball was thrown at him. 

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Are we losing our 4 year starter at QB? Sweet Christ, calm the fuck down. We were only reasonably in line to win the Big 12. This was a fantastic season and we’re actually ready to go into the SEC with a decent schedule. 

didn't say it wasn't a fantastic season, but I just subscribe more to the don't take it for granted philosophy regarding the chances to win it all.

nobody can deny the road isn't tougher. Sark's gotta make some changes, and there will be some growing pains involved.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Strong disagree. We will be very good next year. 

Not sure who's replacing Sweat and Murphy.   Our secondary is awful.  If Brooks comes back it will help.

But Ewers is a problem.  Footwork is terrible.  Mental game is just not there.  And he's losing Worthy, JWitt, AD and Sanders.  Next year is going to be rough compared to this one.

• Fuck You 5

Lol we beat the SEC champ this year and are trending up at literally every position. We should absolutely be expecting a playoff appearance and shot at the championship game next year. William cumstain was certain we weren’t making the playoff this year. He’s a pussy.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

We should have been running the ball and controlling the clock. Help your defense out some and keep them off the field. Especially when you’re getting 9 a touch. 
The defense was terrible but Sark absolutely shit the bed for two full quarters.

I mean I understand what you’re saying but not running the ball more in the first half was not the reason we lost the game. The defense was never on the field longer than 4:30 minutes, and they had 2 drives consisting of 1:41 and 3 min (TO’s called for the turnover on down’s). The defense was not being gassed by the Washington offense in the first half, that would be the 3rd quarter. Theres nothing Sark can do from the offensive side of the ball that is going to stop Penix from throwing absolute dimes against our poor  secondary play. It was almost inevitable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

gets paid millions to play UT starting QB. We will see him back for sure.  

Anyone know how to get a hold of Jeff Davis? Someone call him and tell him to pull Quinn Ewers's endorsement deal

Edited by chainsaw

15 minutes ago, troph said:

It’s true we really needed the TD the drive before. Last two red zone chances 3 points and no points. I have the sads.

I was just now wondering, how cool would it have been if we had scored a TD the previous drive and then still had the same fluky shit happen?  Then I also had a thought about what could be even worse than what happened?  Score that last TD to tie it, extra point gets blocked and they run it back for 2 pts to win it.  I don't think I would have survived that.

In the end, Washington played much better than we did today so the final result based on what transpired on the field probably worked out right.  I don't like it, but that's the way I saw it.  At least the team never gave up unlike a few fuckers in this thread.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

I want Ewers back, and I think it makes us a better team, but honest to God, there better be a true QB competition next year. Sark needs to challenge his inner Saban and Swinney on that one.

1 minute ago, vandergriff said:

Not sure who's replacing Sweat and Murphy.   Our secondary is awful.  If Brooks comes back it will help.

But Ewers is a problem.  Footwork is terrible.  Mental game is just not there.  And he's losing Worthy, JWitt, AD and Sanders.  Next year is going to be rough compared to this one.

Eh, Ewers will improve. He has no choice if he doesnt want to get supplanted by Arch. We are in great shape at QB. Receivers are a dime a dozen and we have a ton of top level guys ready to roll. Defense may take a step back on the line, but honestly they looked like shit tonight anyways. I think we will be back in the playoffs next year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, sith_horn said:

Truth. Sweat and Murphy aren't coming back. Collins is likely gone too. We've got some promising guys in the pipeline, but it would be a miracle to replace their capability by next season. And similar with Worthy, Mitchell, Sanders and JWhitt.

Sweat and Murphy will go down in Texas lore like Hampton and Rogers. Going to really miss them. But we can seriously improve at Edge and in the secondary.  And I'm not as worried about finding replacements at offensive skill positions. 

The realistic goal this season was a Big 12 championship. We lucked our way into the 4 team playoff. I feel good that Sark will learn from this game and keep us on the right path. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

No way, he should have held the ball longer and thrown a dart through the rushers because that's what all the qbs posting would have done. 

Step forward and throw. The window was there and the play was blocked up if he steps up. I get that he felt pressure, but he had time and space to make a tighter throw. 

He's throwing it up for Mitchell to get. I just wanted him to be able to shield instead of high point. I'm nitpicking. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

Sweat and Murphy will go down in Texas lore like Hampton and Rogers. Going to really miss them. But we can seriously improve at Edge and in the secondary.  And I'm not as worried about finding replacements at offensive skill positions. 

The realistic goal this season was a Big 12 championship. We lucked our way into the 4 team playoff. I feel good that Sark will learn from this game and keep us on the right path. 

I would trade both Sweat and Murphy for just one of Hampton or Rogers. Not in the same zip code. Award or not.

9 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I think we can make it back to the playoffs regularly with our talent and coaching, but we were one play from winning the title tonight (we would beat Michigan). Might not line up this good for us again for a while. 

I don't think Quinn or our OL would have fared well against the Michigan pass rush I watched today.

8 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

But he didn't even look at anyone except Blue?

exactly, complete failure by Ewers if Sark is correct.  Ewers looked way too concerned about throwing a pick to be honest.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

We blitzed people all night, we just suck at it

And the few times we actually got a push on their o-line, Penix took an extra step or two backwards, flicked his wrist and hit a guy in full stride right in the hands on the sideline 15 yards downfield.  The only deviation was when the ball didn't hit them right in the hands and the receivers made a great catch anyways.  Penix will play well against Michigan but there is no way in hell the entire receiving corps plays a perfect game like this again.

8 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

We were fortunate to get in the playoff and super fortunate to even have a chance to win at the end. Washington outplayed us for most of the game. 

Sark has still done a great job building this roster and we are set at QB for the next 3-4 years. We will have to deal with guys leaving for NFL and transfer circus, but we are in a much better position than the majority of competing teams. I hope/expect Sark to learn from this game and keep things in a positive direction. 

We'll be OK in NIL era, just need to get the pieces on the coaching staff right. Wish Patterson could have hung out another year, might have made a difference with the D in this game and OU game.   Good news for all the SEC is Saban probably retires soon...Maybe in next 2 or 3 years...

Edited by Azbadlands

Just now, Gut Wagon said:

I don't think Quinn or our OL would have fared well against the Michigan pass rush I watched today.

Not sold on that. We looked like world beaters against Bama too with our line. I am curious how Michigan's line looks against UW. I doubt theyll get home either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Four downs to win the game from the 13 and I don’t think a single one of the play-calls were worth a shit.

all of this

You throw four balls into the end zone or ojt of bounds. Im not sure ewers can zip a ball when he has to 

7 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Washington is Exhibit A that high-level QB play can take you a long way. If Ewers keeps progressing, anything is possible. He's got to make a leap though.

2 minutes ago, Azbadlands said:

We'll be OK in NIL era, just need to get the pieces on the coaching staff right. Wish Patterson could have hung out another year, might have made a difference with the D in this game and OU game.  

especially with the DB's

two fumbles in the running game and a few questionable penalties/non calls were the difference. Just felt like shit because we were playing from behind the whole game. Pretty even but we came up short. Good things to come. 🤘

spacer.png

16 minutes ago, UThomas said:

Sark in the post game said Blue was the check down and the play was designed for jwhitt or sanders to get and iso and highpoint 

Considering the situation, a check down is dumb. I would rather leave Blue back for pass protection and throw it away if shits covered. 

Just now, Texasrocks said:

Washington is Exhibit A that high-level QB play can take you a long way. If Ewers keeps progressing, anything is possible. He's got to make a leap though.

He will be 2nd string if he doesnt make the leap. You better bet your ass Manning is coming for the starting job. I think it is Ewers to lose and I think he will rise to the occasion but he is gonna have to bust ass to improve this offseason.  

They said on the LHN post game washington players are taking turns walking by Bevo and giving him the horns down and taunting him

They were doing horns down all game. As if this was some rivalry.

Fuck em and their 9 year starting QB with his head in the booth drama BS.

Hope Michigan beats them by 30
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

He is coming back 100%. He didnt have an NFL performance tonight and it will kill his 2nd round hopes. His passes got batted at the line. He made most of his hay scrambling (that wont work in the NFL). He looked mediocre as an NFL prospect. He has work to do if he wants to go in round 1. Plus, the kid likes it here and gets paid millions to play UT starting QB. We will see him back for sure.  

No, he did not. Quinn comes back. It will be his last year IMO. He will go pro or will transfer. Arch will play meaningful snaps and I’m sure Quinn will get hurt as usual.

• immamac unpinned this topic